Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/31/2012 6:48:33 AM EDT
Say I own a uninhabitable building in a rural area and I don't want to pay taxes on the improvements any more.  The closest neighbor is probably a quarter mile away.  It doesn't have insurance on it so i wouldn't be trying to make a claim on it.  The cost to demolish it seems like it is worth more than the tax savings.  Can I just burn it down? I burn brush piles all the time out here without any problems.

ALLOWING THE FIRE DEPARTMENT TO BURN IT FOR TRAINING HAS ALREADY BEEN SUGGESTED IN THIS THREAD OVER AND OVER.  IF YOU SUGGEST IT AGAIN THEN YOU ARE A DUMB ASS
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You're in TEXAS.  Burn that bitch down.

*I have no idea if it's against any laws though.  But who would know what happened to it?  Just tell them the building is gone and to stop appraising it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Depending on area you might get ticketed/in trouble from the fire chief.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Say I own a uninhabitable building in a rural area and I don't want to pay taxes on the improvements any more.  The closest neighbor is probably a quarter mile away.  It doesn't have insurance on it so i wouldn't be trying to make a claim on it.  The cost to demolish it seems like it is worth more than the tax savings.  Can I just burn it down? I burn brush piles all the time out here without any problems.

can you see if a local fire department can use it for training?

just an idea
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Its only arson if you try to collect money on the fire.  

I'd just give the local FD a heads up and go ahead and burn it down.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Any HAZMAT in the building that would be released with a fire?

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Actually, call the fire chief, they may burn it down for you!

Controlled burn, FTW.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
You may need a burn permit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Hell it's illegal to tear one down piece by piece and haul it away neatly without a permit in most cities or towns. So I'd check the with the local departments on it first.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Assuming it wouldn't be against any city/county/state codes/laws, then I can't see why not.

I'd be careful of anything in the building that isn't supposed to be burned.

Quoted:can you see if a local fire department can use it for training?

just an idea

Damn fine one at that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#10]
It will matter on local laws, but as long as you don't try to claim any insurance or endanger anyone when you do it, you should be fine.  Lots of places would just get you for open burning without a permit.

Check with the local FD.  They may want to do some training.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

just an idea

This... And I think in the old days (covered wagon times) they would burn down their houses to recover the nails and other metal items used in construction.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, call the fire chief, they may burn it down for you!

Controlled burn, FTW.

Yep, FDs do this for training purposes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

just an idea

this would be a good idea, but for sure, check with the fire dept to see if it is okay
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I am pretty sure if you let a local FD train/burn it you can use the structure value as a tax write-off
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure if you let a local FD train/burn it you can use the structure value as a tax write-off

This!
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Just tell them a Possum did it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

just an idea

Good idea.  Thank you.  It's a voulenteer FD out here and I'm sure they would appreciate the training.  I'm going to get in contact with them
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#19]
as long as you aren't going to try and claim insurance or some other fraud, then you should be good - providing you don't burn down the countryside.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

just an idea

Was gonna say the same thing. Here in my county in Alabama, the volunteer fire department would LOVE to be able to do the training on that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

this for the win! Call the local FD and tell them what's up. they should be happy to help.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Call your local fire station and ask if they want to use the building for training. You burn it they learn shit. Win win?

I see someone else already had this idea.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#23]
You can here if you get a controlled burn permit (five bucks).  
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#24]
If the FD can use it for training, you may even be able to write some of it off, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#25]
If the EPA bitches just tell them it must have been struck by lightning
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just an idea

Good idea.  Thank you.  It's a voulenteer FD out here and I'm sure they would appreciate the training.  I'm going to get in contact with them

Yep, this is the way to go.  Our local VFD would never turn this opportunity down
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Cover my gas money to get there & back and I'll do it for you. Then you're in the clear either way
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Might need a permit if you're in a city or town
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

just an idea

that is fucking brilliant!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#30]
just set in on fire and call the fire dept.

building burns and they get training. problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
just set in on fire and call the fire dept.

building burns and they get training. problem solved.

efficiency for the win
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Smart
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#33]
In Columbus, Ohio Kirk Herbstreit (ESPN) donated his house to the fire department AND deducted $330,000 from his taxes. He rebuilt on the same lot. Deduction was denied.

Herbstreit
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:01:38 AM EDT
[#34]
My FD doesn't accept buildings to burn for training. The amount of work you have to do to keep the EPA off your ass isn't worth it. You basically have to strip the house to the frame iirc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#35]
torch it
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#36]
A lot of FDs won't do training burns like that anymore. Lots of BS involved.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just an idea

If they do it, be sure to post pics/video!
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A lot of FDs won't do training burns like that anymore. Lots of BS involved.

Yep....I tried to do that here last year.  FD said there were too many liability issues involved now.  Instead, I had to buy a burn permit ($3) and wait until the local "Fire Danger" condition dropped to "LOW" before I could torch the building.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:06:53 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

In Columbus, Ohio Kirk Herbstreit (ESPN) donated his house to the fire department AND deducted $330,000 from his taxes. He rebuilt on the same lot. Deduction was denied.

Herbstreit

If I'm reading that correctly the IRS claimed he deducted the cost of home and land....which you can't do.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I had an uncle with 2 old sheds on his property.

He called the fire department and they burned 'em down for free

Speed

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Herbstreit

If I'm reading that correctly the IRS claimed he deducted the cost of home and land....which you can't do.

Grady said the IRS makes that argument because the couples donated only the structures, not the land. But Grady argues that the contributions were the entire interests of each home and thus are allowable under tax law. He said both couples used only the appraised values of the homes as their deduction and didn't include the value of the land.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Just got off the phone with them.  He said thanks but no thanks.  They don't do it any more because the regulations and liability make it too complicated.  No burn permits are needed.  He ended the conversation by saying that there are a lot of environmental hoops to jump through but who would know if I just took a match to it .
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Do you have a cow and an oil lantern, and a desire for BBQ?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Just have a forget to put out a cigarette properly and flick it in a trash can full rags you cleaned a gas spill with...
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#46]
In Nebraska it has to be inspected for asbestos before it is burned down.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#47]
If there is anything of value in the building (copper wiring, plumbing, old fixtures, fancy doorknobs, nice woodwork, stained glass, etc.) there are some companies that will strip it all out in exchange for keeping it, demoing it, etc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Just got off the phone with them. He said thanks but no thanks. They don't do it any more because the regulations and liability make it too complicated. No burn permits are needed. He ended the conversation by saying that there are a lot of environmental hoops to jump through but who would know if I just took a match to it .

Cool, sounds simple enough and awesome you got a down to earth guy on the phone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Contact your local fire department first, they may even burn it down for you.

Occasionally they do it around here for training purposes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top