Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In Nebraska it has to be inspected for asbestos before it is burned down.

That made me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
be a pity if you accidentally caught it on fire while removing copper plumbing etc... with a small propane torch....wow was that wood dry...
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#3]
How much tannerite to blow the walls out?  Or soak the frame with gas and dump a mag of tracers into it.  Whatever you do, please be creative and post pics.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
They will most likely still charge you the land value without the building. Many places where the house, barn is trashed still tax you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I would be pissed it I tried to burn my building down but the FD kept putting it out and calling it 'training'.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:23:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I should have read the whole thread.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say I own a uninhabitable building in a rural area and I don't want to pay taxes on the improvements any more.  The closest neighbor is probably a quarter mile away.  It doesn't have insurance on it so i wouldn't be trying to make a claim on it.  The cost to demolish it seems like it is worth more than the tax savings.  Can I just burn it down? I burn brush piles all the time out here without any problems.

Assuming it wouldn't be against any city/county/state codes/laws, then I can't see why not.

I'd be careful of anything in the building that isn't supposed to be burned.

Quoted:can you see if a local fire department can use it for training?

just an idea

Damn fine one at that.

The house that a friend grew up in was used by our local fire dept. as a training burn.  They set fire to diff. rooms and then went in and put the fires out.  After they were done they burned it to
the ground as they stayed to keep it from spreading.

I've got pictures of it burning somewhere.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Say I own a uninhabitable building in a rural area and I don't want to pay taxes on the improvements any more.  The closest neighbor is probably a quarter mile away.  It doesn't have insurance on it so i wouldn't be trying to make a claim on it.  The cost to demolish it seems like it is worth more than the tax savings.  Can I just burn it down? I burn brush piles all the time out here without any problems.

can you see if a local fire department can use it for training?

just an idea

This.

I've seen a few houses around here be used for training.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Call the fire Department in your area, (My grandfather let them burn down his barn as a training exercise) It will keep you out of arson trouble.. Plus there will get a kick out of getting to start a fire..
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call the fire Department in your area, (My grandfather let them burn down his barn as a training exercise) It will keep you out of arson trouble.. Plus there will get a kick out of getting to start a fire..

FD already told the OP "no".

I'd say just be careful cos no one might be near you but the smoke will be visible for a miles.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife works for wyo deq it would have to be damn near totally stripped of anything  before you could get a permit because the emissions from all the non wood stuff... So you would be in trouble anyway  and once you've spent the time stripping it you could of just paid for the asbeastos test and dozed the bitch
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

[Government] Tax evasion huh? We'll get a team right out to discuss this with you [/Government]

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with them.  He said thanks but no thanks.  They don't do it any more because the regulations and liability make it too complicated.  No burn permits are needed.  He ended the conversation by saying that there are a lot of environmental hoops to jump through but who would know if I just took a match to it .

Do they investigate arson if there is no insurance or injuries?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You may need a burn permit.

Check your county for a burn ban.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depending on area you might get ticketed/in trouble from the fire chief.

Actually, call the fire chief, they may burn it down for you!

Controlled burn, FTW.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They will most likely still charge you the land value without the building. Many places where the house, barn is trashed still tax you.

Yeah, no shit
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#17]
call the local fire dept. they will usually make it a "training thing" and do it for free. if they wont.. start demoing it and do smaller controlled burns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the FD idea. ANd for the love of all things holy , GET VIDEO Before, after and DURING.

Infact, get with some techie on here and do some live streaming deal if you could. That could be fun to watch being an arfcommer and all that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm surprised that no one has suggested calling the local FD and asking if they would burn it for training.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[Government] Tax evasion huh? We'll get a team right out to discuss this with you

tax evasion is not the same thing as tax avoidance.  Tax evasion is illegal. Tax avoidance is not.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm surprised that no one has suggested calling the local FD and asking if they would burn it for training.

thats an option that should be put on the table for sure.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any HAZMAT in the building that would be released with a fire?

This.

The rural township where we used to live still had a demolition permit process.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Ive done it before, you have to call your states forestry department and get a permit. Not a bad idea to notify the sheriff department also.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is either sarcasm or you didnt read the thread AT ALL!!. Its been suggested a billion times already.

The other thing to consider is how old the building is and what the value of the wood. There are people that pay good money for old wood that is seasoned. On occasion youll see an old barn being taken down piece by piece as the wood has value.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Would tannerite actually cause a fire?
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Its only arson if you try to collect money on the fire.  

I'd just give the local FD a heads up and go ahead and burn it down.

So it wouldn't be arson if you burned down your neighbors house?

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like you need an ARF shoot . How many traces does it take to light? You will be like the Mythbusters
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with them.  He said thanks but no thanks.  They don't do it any more because the regulations and liability make it too complicated.  No burn permits are needed.  He ended the conversation by saying that there are a lot of environmental hoops to jump through but who would know if I just took a match to it .

Do they investigate arson if there is no insurance or injuries?

It's in a very rural area.  You cannot see it from the road and no one would pay the smoke any attention.  People burn brush piles out here all the time during this time of the year.  With that being said, I'm going to hold off since there might be environmental problems
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If the EPA bitches just tell them it must have been struck by lightning

Don't do that, they'll try and fine God

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Depending on area you might get ticketed/in trouble from the fire chief.

Or you could call the fire chief and ask him if they are interested in burning it for you. Around here departments jump at the chance to get a real house to burn and train on.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Cover my gas money to get there & back and I'll do it for you. Then you're in the clear either way
the fire bug is strong in this one

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Would tannerite actually cause a fire?

With gasoline in close proximity it will.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#33]
We burned a bunch of tobacco barns on our farm years ago.  Got tired of paying the taxes on them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How much tannerite to blow the walls out?  Or soak the frame with gas and dump a mag of tracers into it.  Whatever you do, please be creative and post pics.

Make sure to seal the place up and put a bunch of open propane tanks in it. Leave a bottle of tannerite (spelling?) in the window and retreat to a safe distance with your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#36]
The local FD may like to get a burn to learn on it. But if I recall correctly those are so strict on environmental rules and what needs removed for the house that most fds don't mess with it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There sure are
http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/legal/rules/rules/pdflib/111b.pdf

Can you do it legally?  Not likely (you are not "supposed" to burn treated lumber and non-wood construction debris)

What will happen if the state environmental people (EPA will not give a shit) just happened to catch you? (would require someone making a complaint about the smoke)
They would likely just write you a Notice of Violation.  You would have to write them a letter saying you will be a good boy in the future and not do it again.

The chances you get caught in rural TX with no bitchy neighbors around?
0.0000001%
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Late 80s I was working at a TV station in OKC...it was ratings week and our promotions guy was the second coming of PT Barnum.  We bought a house in the hood. We put cameras at the local firehouse, helicopter, a cheap camera inside the house, cameras all over the damn place.  We set fire to the house and video'd the FD's response live. The interior camera held on for awhile too...
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://tfsfrp.tamu.edu/wildfires/DecBan.png

How many counties do you need?

Hush! This is Mericuh!!!

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot.

Texas is massive compared to your little island
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Shoot the shit out of the building, then burn it down.

ETA:  Also, try to really wet the surrounding grasslands...or as others have mentioned, do it on a rainy day.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Shoot the shit out of the building, then burn it down.

ETA:  Also, try to really wet the surrounding grasslands...or as others have mentioned, do it on a rainy day.

Screw that, just prescribe burn the pasture around it.  It will help the grass.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Id just burn it down, just be sure to keep it under control.  If you do it at night then no one will see the smoke

My neighbor would have huge fires and invite a bunch of friends/family over, always a good time with no problems.  He did this every year until one time when the local FD came by and put it out.  They said it was too big and someone called to complain and worried he was going to start a forest fire.  We figured it was one of the new city folk moving out to the country.

That or the FD just wanted to do something........
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot.

Not really.

That is a fuckton of little counties compared to other large states.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Should just go out about Midnight and torch it and claim someone or something caused a fire to burn down the structure.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Post it as free on Craigslist. I'm sure the vultures will come out in droves and by the time they are done there won't be much left.

Craigslist Yard Sale Ad ends up in whole house theft
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Around here, some guys would insure the structure for $250,000, and then rent it out to some meth-heads.  But you don't seem like that kind of person.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Id just burn it down, just be sure to keep it under control.  If you do it at night then no one will see the smoke

My neighbor would have huge fires and invite a bunch of friends/family over, always a good time with no problems.  He did this every year until one time when the local FD came by and put it out.  They said it was too big and someone called to complain and worried he was going to start a forest fire.  We figured it was one of the new city folk moving out to the country.

That or the FD just wanted to do something........

We will leave controlled burns alone when called out to them. Unless you're burning tires or something.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Call your local fire department and ask them if they want to burn it down for training.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot.

Not really.

That is a fuckton of little counties compared to other large states.

http://geology.com/state-map/maps/illinois-county-map.gif

http://geology.com/state-map/maps/california-county-map.gif

http://www.myusoc.com/images/alaska-county-map_1_.gif

https://jobs.mt.gov/jobs/images/mt_map_with_cities.gif

Looks like Alaska has a county bigger than Bradders's entire island
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top