Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first thing the video says is that "they are people who are in voluntary isolation who protect themselves from the outside world with force."

If we are leaving them alone, we are doing what they want us to do.
View Quote

History doesn’t entirely back up the claim of voluntary isolation.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people just want to be left alone. Why is that concept so hard to grasp?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ask the Red Man how that worked out for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am posing a philosophical question.

We don’t know how they would actually react if people weren’t actively kept away. The choice is being made for them.

How that worked out for the Red Man is a complex question.  I would argue that those who integrate into broader American society have every opportunity to do better than they ever could have if the white man never showed up.  Those who continue trying to live as a quasi-sovereign tribe are mostly not doing very well by modern standards. Which is more important, the continued existence of a tribe, or the welfare of the individuals who make up that tribe?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#4]
If you knew these people raped little kids (likely true) as a way of life, would you feel comfortable letting it happen in isolation to maintain the experiment?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would like to propose that we take their land
View Quote

It appears they are sitting on a huge motherlode of Unobtainium.

We could drop off some bluejeans & Litebeer to win them over...

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#6]
They may be the only humans to survive the collapse of civilization.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Thyey can't pay taxes so what point is it in bringing them into the fold?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
They've succeeded in doing what noone on this forum has been able to do, be left the fuck alone. Good for them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But…we are intervening by keeping everyone away. We intentionally keep them as some sort of anthropology project.

ETA: and really it’s not very remote at all which makes it all the more strange that it has remained this way.
View Quote

So when does your flight leave to go tell them? ??
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We don’t know how they would actually react if people weren’t actively kept away. The choice is being made for them.
View Quote

You said they attack and kill everyone that goes there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Let’s approach it this way….

Should I be allowed to try to talk to them if I want and get an arrow for it if they choose Or should the Indian government prevent what was a natural evolution for all remaining Stone Age tribes even here in America just because it seems pretty neat to have a pet tribe?
View Quote

You still haven't said how India is preventing people from going.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let’s approach it this way….

Should I be allowed to try to talk to them if I want and get an arrow for it if they choose Or should the Indian government prevent what was a natural evolution for all remaining Stone Age tribes even here in America just because it seems pretty neat to have a pet tribe?

The government set up a 3 mile exclusion zone around the island and has patrols to enforce it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is historically not true.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I find it hard to believe that an island just about 5 miles square can have enough wildlife and resources such as fresh water to support the tribe living there.
View Quote

Their way of life is not contingent on your belief.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Leave them alone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Leave them the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I didn’t. They don’t and haven’t killed everyone that goes there.

ETA: I also think the island is something like 50 square miles. You have to assume they eat a lot of seafood like most island people.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#19]
In November 2018, John Allen Chau, a 26-year-old American missionary trained and sent by Missouri-based All Nations, was killed during an illegal trip to the restricted island, planning to "preach Christianity" to the Sentinelese. Seven individuals were taken into custody by Indian police on suspicion of abetting Chau's illegal access to the island. Entering a radius of 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) around the island is illegal under Indian law. The fishermen who illegally ferried Chau to North Sentinel said they saw tribesmen drag his body along a beach and bury it. Despite efforts by Indian authorities, which involved a tense encounter with the tribe, Chau's body was not recovered. Indian officials made several attempts to recover the body but eventually abandoned those efforts. An anthropologist involved in the case told The Guardian that the risk of a dangerous clash between investigators and the islanders was too great to justify any further attempts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In November 2018, John Allen Chau, a 26-year-old American missionary trained and sent by Missouri-based All Nations, was killed during an illegal trip to the restricted island, planning to "preach Christianity" to the Sentinelese. Seven individuals were taken into custody by Indian police on suspicion of abetting Chau's illegal access to the island. Entering a radius of 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) around the island is illegal under Indian law. The fishermen who illegally ferried Chau to North Sentinel said they saw tribesmen drag his body along a beach and bury it. Despite efforts by Indian authorities, which involved a tense encounter with the tribe, Chau's body was not recovered. Indian officials made several attempts to recover the body but eventually abandoned those efforts. An anthropologist involved in the case told The Guardian that the risk of a dangerous clash between investigators and the islanders was too great to justify any further attempts.
View Quote

And I agree. His body was forfeit when he decided to go there. They shouldn’t have even gone back to try to get it if they feel so strongly about isolating the tribe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven’t read this whole thread so it may have already been stated. These are arguably the most free people in 2023. Left to their own devices to do whatever they want without some other nation interfering in their day to day.

If someone makes contact they are free to engage how they wish (peacefully or through violence).

That’s some arfcommers’ wet dream.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

ETA: I also think the island is something like 50 square miles. You have to assume they eat a lot of seafood like most island people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You basically did. You're splitting hairs.

"I mean I get it, they pretty much try to kill anyone that comes near."
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#24]
They need the good news of Jesus.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Alright then I used too much hyperbole in my opening post. I have clarified that a number of times after that.

I sometimes forget that you can’t have a casual conversation in GD and everything must be spoken in the narrowest of definitions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I mean I get it, they pretty much try to kill anyone that comes near but there hasn’t been any concerted effort to let them know about science and technology.

Is it kind of fucked up that we don’t work to give them the information and let them decide if they want to remain primitive?

Basically, we almost treat them like an ant farm. Or some sort of aquarium with a pet project inside.

By we I just mean the modern world. Medicine, technology, hell even mosquito nets.

I am not sure we are under any sort of obligation. But on the other hand contact is intentionally kept away stopping what would have been a natural introduction to the modern world.

ETA: in this thread we learn that even ARFcom can’t get past an initial knee jerk reaction to understand this isn’t a discussion about leaving these people alone. It’s a discussion on a government they know nothing about intentionally keeping them as a pet project.
View Quote

Interesting points, OP.

I’ve never thought of it that way.

I don’t think it would be bad to drop some stuff from a helicopter and see if we can at least introduce modern living slowly

ETA: yes I don’t think India has a right to force people to stay away
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Is it kind of fucked up that we don’t work to give them the information and let them decide if they want to remain primitive?
View Quote

They've already decided to remain primitive.  They've inhabited that island since time immemorial and yet there is zero observable significant structures or infrastructure visible from the air.  No roads, no buildings, not even a hint of industry.  Me and my buddies did more civilization building in our local forest when we were in elementary school than they've done in thousands of years.

They've clearly found their level and should stay there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They need the good news of Jesus.
View Quote

You know in all seriousness I do think it is interesting that no one has actually suggested this. I am not a Christian and feel no compulsion to do so but many of the Christians I know would feel it’s a moral obligation and indeed a biblical one to help them to salvation.

I think the fact we are at 5 pages and it hasn’t been brought up yet by a member is really showing a shift in our society.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Would any other group of people in the world be left alone if they chose to begin living this way?
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Those 80 or so islanders are so inbred and fucked up there’s no way they can meet modern society.
View Quote

I call bullshit. Have you SEEN "modern society"? People might not literally be inbred but they're so stupid from having been "taught" at government schools, being indoctrinated by leftists, and walking around like zombies with their heads up their cell phones that they might as well be. They'd fit right in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I mean I get it, they pretty much try to kill anyone that comes near but there hasn’t been any concerted effort to let them know about science and technology.

Basically, we almost treat them like an ant farm. Or some sort of aquarium with a pet project inside.

By we I just mean the modern world. Medicine, technology, hell even mosquito nets.

I am not sure we are under any sort of obligation. But on the other hand contact is intentionally kept away stopping what would have been a natural introduction to the modern world.

ETA: in this thread we learn that even ARFcom can’t get past an initial knee jerk reaction to understand this isn’t a discussion about leaving these people alone. It’s a discussion on a government they know nothing about intentionally keeping them as a pet project.
View Quote

Or we could leave them alone which is what they want.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#33]
this is an interesting topic because it points out a major problem with today's world

cultures that had nothing to do with or no innate ability to create technologies that exist,  but have access to them because of 1 maybe 2 advanced cultures on the planet

cultures being thrust into an advanced state of being that they are not ready for or can't handle

1 maybe 2 cultures dragging the rest along, unfortunately not by choice, with all its ill side effects

with the subordinate cultures feeling entitled to it all

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just want to be clear here that the general consensus is that  purposely stopping interaction and keeping these people in ignorance is the right thing because it is for their own good?

View Quote

Purposely stopping interaction and keeping these people in ignorance is the right thing because that's what they are willing to kill to preserve. I don't know what agenda you are pushing, but you seem be ignoring this fact.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Look at all benefits of modern ”civilization” these people are missing out on. They’ve probably never even heard of BLM. They don’t even know they’re victims!

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Exposing stone age people to technology 100s or 1000s of years more advanced, rapidly, has always resulted in excellent outcomes for all involved
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you guys want to get all libertarian about island savages and government authority, the case of the Pitcairn islanders and their roving child rape gangs is way more interesting.

View Quote

Honestly the only thing I have read that compared to that is what goes on in Australia in the remote communities.  Truly horrifying stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Purposely stopping interaction and keeping these people in ignorance is the right thing because that's what they are willing to kill to preserve. I don't know what agenda you are pushing, but you seem be ignoring this fact.
View Quote

Then let them kill everyone they want. who cares? Leave them alone, again who cares? They want to repel intruders I say have at it. I am not going there and I am fine with them keeping people away.

The issue to me once again...is that a government that these people know nothing about has stopped what would have undoubtedly been interactions with the modern world for 70 years now...except when that government wants to send their own people in.

When I was in Panama I used to run into new expats and travellers who had this whole thing about how the locals needed to be looked after and protected essentially implying to me that they thought of Panamanians as beneath them in intellegence and honestly worth. "they dont know any better". It was the most fucked up liberal mindset I have ever seen and they couldnt even see that they were treating these people as subordinate.

*and believe me I have my own thoughts about Panama that aren't politically correct but thinking of the locals as some sort of retarded children that didnt know any better isnt one of them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Then let them kill everyone they want. who cares? Leave them alone, again who cares? They want to repel intruders I say have at it. I am not going there and I am fine with them keeping people away.

The issue to me once again...is that a government that these people know nothing about has stopped what would have undoubtedly been interactions with the modern world for 70 years now...except when that government wants to send their own people in.

When I was in Panama I used to run into new expats and travellers who had this whole thing about how the locals needed to be looked after and protected essentially implying to me that they thought of Panamanians as beneath them in intellegence and honestly worth. "they dont know any better". It was the most fucked up liberal mindset I have ever seen and they couldnt even see that they were treating these people as subordinate.

*and believe me I have my own thoughts about Panama that aren't politically correct but thinking of the locals as some sort of retarded children that didnt know any better isnt one of them.
View Quote

I'm glad you're not my sheriff. "I would arrest that guy cutting the gate lock, but I don't want to stop Marquar's interaction with the modern world."
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I've heard of these stinking turds off and on for the last ten years and if I never heard or thought about them again wouldn't hurt my feelings.

We can't even civilize the savages we have here in the U.S., why TF should we care about some lost island people in India?

Unlike Texas and NM, they're obviously intelligent enough to know foreigners suck and don't invite every Californian or Chinese company to buy up their property.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find it hard to believe that an island just about 5 miles square can have enough wildlife and resources such as fresh water to support the tribe living there.

That's 3200 acres with access to the ocean. I believe it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they don't kill everyone that goes there then maybe they told the ones that do go there that they want to be left alone.

If they were begging missionaries for help I imagine they'd get it
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Drop off a glass Coke bottle, a Glock 17 with a couple loaded 'stendos, and a bunch of Hustler magazines.

Watch.

Learn.
View Quote

I want this guy in charge
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

No it's not. They are well aware of large ships, other people, and aircraft. They have chosen to try to kill anyone who lands on the island.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Many people have tried to contact them. They are a violent tribe. They are not ready or willing to live in our modern world. Leave them be.

Not everyone wants the modern lifestyle. Look at the Amish, they are completely happy living a simple life. Sure they are missing modern conveniences but they also don’t have to sea with stupid things like social media or having their kids due their hair blue and major in gender studies.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How that worked out for the Red Man is a complex question.  I would argue that those who integrate into broader American society have every opportunity to do better than they ever could have if the white man never showed up.  Those who continue trying to live as a quasi-sovereign tribe are mostly not doing very well by modern standards. Which is more important, the continued existence of a tribe, or the welfare of the individuals who make up that tribe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The apache terrorized the local tribes. The other tribes ran to the Spanish for protection. Then the Apache got terrorized by the comanche who  would drive stakes through women and gang rape them, kill babies, kidnap and torture too. Torture included deskinning among other things.

Pre-Columbian mass executions have been discovered in North America. South America? Holy crap ever heard of the Aztecs?

If white people hadn’t shown up? Who knows? But it is far from obvious it would have been better in the long run.

The myth of the Native American living at peace with anything keeps native Americans in a state of internal and external conflict

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#48]
So as another consensus it seems that you guys are fine with another government they have never met or know of controlling their interactions and essentially the course of their lives by intentionally excluding them from the modern world without representation whatsoever.  

And maybe the natives would have killed everyone that happened upon them in the past 70 years and maybe not. But India never gave them that choice. Instead it allows interaction only from the people it deems fit.

Alright then. I guess I will shelve my invasion plans.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the Red Man would have been fine if left alone.  They knew nature, its rules and how to live with nature.  Loss of lifestyle and alcohol destroyed them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top