Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/19/2022 10:10:54 PM EDT
The Fed is meeting this week and is expected to raise rates by 0.75% (or maybe 1%, tops).  Will it be enough to tame inflation?  If they manage to bring inflation to heel, it would be a good time to buy new issue bonds, or bond funds.  Is now the time, or soon?

I like bonds.  I think everyone should have some in their portfolio.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Financial instruments are not likely to fare well when the average man has little motivation to get married and have a family (AKA produce), the average woman thinks she is a man and decides not to have children (no growth demand), and we have a debt based fiat currency that is the oldest or thereabouts in the world (and massive debt), as compared to buying and holding real assets and the domestic means of production.

The way I see it the politicians are beholden to women voters for power as they are more; numerically, politically active, and naturally leftist, but the politicians are also to beholden to sovereign wealth funds (communist and dictatorial countries) and corporate interest for funding for campaigns. Producers will be milked like cash cows for the former other two sides. Prepare accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I bonds......
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Financial instruments are not likely to fare well when the average man has little motivation to get married and have a family (AKA produce), the average woman thinks she is a man and decides not to have children (no growth demand), and we have a debt based fiat currency that is the oldest or thereabouts in the world (and massive debt), as compared to buying and holding real assets and the domestic means of production.

The way I see it the politicians are beholden to women voters for power as they are more; numerically, politically active, and naturally leftist, but the politicians are also to beholden to sovereign wealth funds (communist and dictatorial countries) and corporate interest for funding for campaigns. Producers will be milked like cash cows for the former other two sides. Prepare accordingly.
View Quote

Uh, how do you prepare accordingly for that?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the title said "bombs"...
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you consider bonds the same as CD's in your poll?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The time to have them was before the market started free fall.  I wouldn't sell anything I took a loss on, but new money might go there, but you risk losing out on bargain stocks that you can now buy cheap and hold.  Age is always a factor and it can be a decade or more before things right themselves, so if you can afford to wait before retiring, not a great idea.  Unfortunately my father lost a million in the past year at age 88 because he doesn't like bonds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
The Fed hasn't even really begun unwinding their $6 trillion in treasury securities and $3 trillion of MBS. They only recently stopped buying,

We have over a trillion of new govt debt that is not only NOT being gobbled up by the Fed, but the Fed will also dumping debt into the market. Less demand from the Fed = higher yields and lower bond prices which is not good for people who hold bonds
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm betting 100-basis-point increase by the way CD rates have spiked. A one year CD is now at 4%.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Fed hasn't even really begun unwinding their $6 trillion in treasury securities and $3 trillion of MBS. They only recently stopped buying,

We have over a trillion of new govt debt that is not only NOT being gobbled up by the Fed, but the Fed will also dumping debt into the market. Less demand from the Fed = higher yields and lower bond prices which is not good for people who hold bonds
View Quote

This?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you consider bonds the same as CD's in your poll?
View Quote

No.  They have similarities, but are not the same.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm betting 100-basis-point increase by the way CD rates have spiked. A one year CD is now at 4%.
View Quote

I just bought a 3-month CD for 3.2%.  Rates are going up.  Can they go up forever?  Where's the peak?  Are we near it?  That's the point ITT.

If we are at or near the peak, it's time to buy bonds.  Or CDs, if your risk tolerance is lower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The time to have them was before the market started free fall.  I wouldn't sell anything I took a loss on, but new money might go there, but you risk losing out on bargain stocks that you can now buy cheap and hold.  Age is always a factor and it can be a decade or more before things right themselves, so if you can afford to wait before retiring, not a great idea.  Unfortunately my father lost a million in the past year at age 88 because he doesn't like bonds.
View Quote

I'm not arguing for not owning stock.  I'm always invested to one degree or another.  A balanced portfolio has both.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Way too open ended. Short term, long term, gov, international, corporate, junk?

I bonds yes, short term US t bills yes, everything else nope
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I put some money into I bonds yesterday. Just figured why let the cash sit and lose value.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I put some money into I bonds yesterday. Just figured why let the cash sit and lose value.
View Quote

Sure, why not?  Better return than cash.  I just don't like the artificially low limits on ibonds.

OTOH, having cash parked on the sidelines offers an opportunity if stock goes on a deep sale.

You place your bets and takes your chances.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:06:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bond funds can offer similar rates, and a chance to make $ on the net asset value if the Fed brings inflation to heel, then decides to lower rates to avoid a recession.  Will the next Fed rate increase do the trick?  Or, are we so deep in the inflationary spiral that much more pain will be needed.  Aye, there's the rub.  

I would hate to be on the Fed board right now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sure, why not?  Better return than cash.  I just don't like the artificially low limits on ibonds.

OTOH, having cash parked on the sidelines offers an opportunity if stock goes on a deep sale.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you aware of the gift box? Tax refund I bonds? If you have a wife and kids you can get a lot in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:43:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bond funds can offer similar rates, and a chance to make $ on the net asset value if the Fed brings inflation to heel, then decides to lower rates to avoid a recession.  Will the next Fed rate increase do the trick?  Or, are we so deep in the inflationary spiral that much more pain will be needed.  Aye, there's the rub.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I know, my answer accounted for that and no. Rates are not going down in 22 or 23 unless the economy craters beyond 08 by a lot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just bought a 3-month CD for 3.2%.  Rates are going up.  Can they go up forever?  Where's the peak?  Are we near it?  That's the point ITT.

If we are at or near the peak, it's time to buy bonds.  Or CDs, if your risk tolerance is lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are predicting at least two more increases after todays meeting so rates will continue to go up. 1-3 month FDIC insured CD's are the ticket.

I've never bought bonds. I've been all in and very aggressive in the stock market for 30 years until I moved half into cash. That goes into short term CD's. I'm playing it safe and hedging my bets. Biden ain't done yet fucking up this country.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They are predicting at least two more increases after todays meeting so rates will continue to go up. 1-3 month FDIC insured CD's are the ticket.

I've never bought bonds. I've been all in and very aggressive in the stock market for 30 years until I moved half into cash. That goes into short term CD's. I'm playing it safe and hedging my bets. Biden ain't done yet fucking up this country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy the max in ibonds at the start of the year and 3 mo tbills with money im not allocating to more active investing.  We have no idea what it's going to take to bring inflation down, so it's prudent to be patient and not get into wishcasting like so many fools.

I wouldn't touch CDs at this point.  Yeah, they may be FDIC insured, but if they go belly up how long will it take to recover that investment?  Think of all the garbage loans being written now on shacks with zero down arm loans that has to go somewhere, and the fed ain't buying it anymore.  Same with all the junk auto and commercial RE paper.   Who rates that paper?  Probably the same a55holes that said things were fine at Enron or bear Stearns.  Fk that noise.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bonds......
View Quote
This.  Don't let cash stagnate in your savings account making 1% or less.  You are losing at the inflation rate.

I bought Ibonds for me and the wife about 3 months ago.

At least get your government account set up now.  It can be a little tricky and their website is fucky.  Tech support is unobtanium, just keep trying with new account setup until it works.

Wife's account went through first time, it took mine about 3 attempts.

The left does not want inflation tamed, they want the middle class destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Any time the fixed rate on a 18+ mo bond is over 2.5% is worth if you can afford to put that money away.

Talks of 3-5% make bonds a no-brainer if you have the funds.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Short term Tbills are better than CDs right now.

The market is gonna get hammered the next year. The perma-bulls will probably be right when they are net positive in three to five years.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Realize that deflation will be the natural consequence of a falling population, but hyperinflation is the most likely result of government protecting itself at the expense of the currency once it has to pay its operating expenses and debts that become a bigger burden under deflation. First deflation blip, then hyperinflation. BRICS is a major threat that increases this likelihood.

Keep in mind people will buy what they want before what they need, except for food and fuel, they have to have those and only food is relatively not shelf-stable.

Buy now at a comparative discount that which will be more expensive as economies of scale are lost for durable goods and companies go bankrupt (servicing their debt under the inflation rate (as the have a greater margin to cover)(consider the implications that publicly traded companies must be kept in debt to avoid hostile takeovers yet report quarterly to the SEC and public) and buy the means of production for things that will have to generate cash flow that becomes more expensive in deflation that will be temporary until the government has to pay its bills and goes hyper-inflationary. Food is perhaps the biggest thing as it typically has limited shelf-life, is not stocked deep, and must be purchased by nearly 99% of people.

In deflation food becomes cheaper to produce, but extremely expensive during hyperinflation. Buy the means of production when no else will.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#27]
The very best is the max 15K which is alleged to match inflation. But wait for it...the interest meant to "match" inflation is federally taxable "income".
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Fed is meeting this week and is expected to raise rates by 0.75% (or maybe 1%, tops).  Will it be enough to tame inflation?  If they manage to bring inflation to heel, it would be a good time to buy new issue bonds, or bond funds.  Is now the time, or soon?

View Quote

Current Inflation is not the result of too much money as much as it is the result of supply chain issues and the price of fuel making everything at every stage much more expensive.

Raising rates for business and consumer debt will have little to no effect.

Most business is contracting not trying to expand, they don’t need loans.

Most people have already started cutting back on spending disposable income, they aren’t expanding their purchases with debt, they are paying necessities with debt and that will only get worse with time.

Just like the oil embargo in the late 1970s, inflation is the result of increased fuel prices, that inflation only stopped when the price of fuel came back down. It had nothing to do with interest rates.

Until the pedo in chief starts back up the keystone pipeline and in cuffs the oil industry and allows them access to leases on federal land again and they stop with this bullshit of going to a carbon zero economy and the oil industry builds more refineries, this inflation will not subside.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Current Inflation is not the result of too much money as much as it is the result of supply chain issues and the price of fuel making everything at every stage much more expensive.

Most people have already started cutting back on spending disposable income, they aren’t expanding their purchases with debt, they are paying necessities with debt and that will only get worse with time.

Just like the oil embargo in the late 1970s, inflation is the result of increased fuel prices, that inflation only stopped when the price of fuel came back down. It had nothing to do with interest rates.

Until the pedo in chief starts back up the keystone pipeline and in cuffs the oil industry and allows them access to leases on federal land again and they stop with this bullshit of going to a carbon zero economy and the oil industry builds more refineries, this inflation will not subside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't about the last year of wreckless money printing its the last decade plus of wrecklessness collapsing. The supply shortages are merely part of the catalyst.

This is like a building full of flammable chemicals stored in paper cups and then everyone wants to talk about the cigarette that started the fire.the cigarette isn't the issue, anything was going to kick that off.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#31]
James Bonds
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Some good replies ITT  but I want to choke the mofos out who keep parrotting "supply chain issues" as the cause of the inflation and interest rate hikes.  IT'S NOT THE SUPPLY CHAIN.  The fedgov has printed FIVE TRILLION DOLLARS out of thin air in the last couple years.  It's sucking all the air out of the room.  "Supply chain issues" are a HUGE DIVERSION to make you think it's ALL YOUR FAULT.  Need a new car so you can get to work?  Your fault.  Need to put food on the table?  All your fault.  Need some asswipe or paper towels?  All your fault.  Want a widget on amazon?  It's all your fault.

In the meantime, the printing presses are burning up.  Plus all the interest that will accumulate.

Good lord, people are such morons when it comes to some stuff.  They WANT to feel guilty.  

The supply chain issues, while real, are a TINY FRACTION of the cause compared to govt. spending and borrowing.  Open your eyes, folks.  IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I buy the max in ibonds at the start of the year and 3 mo tbills with money im not allocating to more active investing.  We have no idea what it's going to take to bring inflation down, so it's prudent to be patient and not get into wishcasting like so many fools.

I wouldn't touch CDs at this point.  Yeah, they may be FDIC insured, but if they go belly up how long will it take to recover that investment?  Think of all the garbage loans being written now on shacks with zero down arm loans that has to go somewhere, and the fed ain't buying it anymore.  Same with all the junk auto and commercial RE paper.   Who rates that paper?  Probably the same a55holes that said things were fine at Enron or bear Stearns.  Fk that noise.
View Quote

CDs going belly-up?  How would that happen, exactly?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The government becomes insolvent?

Also, in the HY market spreads haven't blown out yet. So, if shits gonna hit the fan, it has not reached critical mass yet
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The government becomes insolvent?

Also, in the HY market spreads haven't blown out yet. So, if shits gonna hit the fan, it has not reached critical mass yet
View Quote

I think we passed the"insolvent" point a few decades ago, but we still have paper and ink so everything is cool.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

My checking account pays 3%
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On 2 million dollars or is there a cap?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If CD's are not safe then nothing is. And with the pedofascist-communist in charge nothing is safe. Except maybe the gold in your teeth. But Hitler proved even that's not safe.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If CD's are not safe then nothing is. And with the pedofascist-communist in charge nothing is safe. Except maybe the gold in your teeth. But Hitler proved even that's not safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His point is that he thinks the banks will fail and hold up getting his CD back from FDICnot that the government will fail
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

His point is that he thinks the banks will fail and hold up getting his CD back from FDICnot that the government will fail
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, didn't want to spend the energy answering a stupid misconception.  Banks aren't the government and I'm not even saying they might fail, but the paper inside the CD might be bad so I wouldn't chase yield offerings from them now.  The analogy would be your house burns down, it's insured but it may take a year or more to investigate the cause and cut a check.  Add in government involvement and the slicing and dicing of securities and a resolution to some default in the paper your CD held might take many years, who knows?  Not worth the risk IMO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Correct, didn't want to spend the energy answering a stupid misconception.  Banks aren't the government and I'm not even saying they might fail, but the paper inside the CD might be bad so I wouldn't chase yield offerings from them now.  The analogy would be your house burns down, it's insured but it may take a year or more to investigate the cause and cut a check.  Add in government involvement and the slicing and dicing of securities and a resolution to some default in the paper your CD held might take many years, who knows?  Not worth the risk IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Typically the liquidations gp pretty smooth FYI. I wouldnt worry about this unless it got to the poibt we were seeing weekly bank liquidations
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine(BLV, BNDX, BIV, BSV, TIP)are still well in the hole, if I had the money I'd be buying.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why you spread the risk out if you are worried about banks failing. You don't have to put all your money in one banks CD. If you have $100,000 buy 10 CD's from 10 different institutions at $10,000 each.

Its no different than diversifying your portfolio which is a basic investing principal.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I recently started buying $500/week in I Bonds.  Converting cash savings to preserve value.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I recently started buying $500/week in I Bonds.  Converting cash savings to preserve value.
View Quote

Since the halcyon years of the stock market are over, everyone is trying to preserve cash value, using different strategies. So you are doing the smart thing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I-bond purchases are limited to $10,000 a year and cannot be held in a traditional IRA or Roth IRA.

Correct? Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Typically the liquidations gp pretty smooth FYI. I wouldnt worry about this unless it got to the poibt we were seeing weekly bank liquidations
View Quote

To get FDIC insurance the bank must provide a lot of info on its balance sheet.  You don't just waltz in and get the insurance.  

I lived through the Savings & Loan debacle and had several accounts in S&Ls.  I got my $ out very easily.

Bank collapse leaving my CD stranded is the very least of my worries LOL.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

To get FDIC insurance the bank must provide a lot of info on its balance sheet.  You don't just waltz in and get the insurance.  

I lived through the Savings & Loan debacle and had several accounts in S&Ls.  I got my $ out very easily.

Bank collapse leaving my CD stranded is the very least of my worries LOL.
View Quote

FDIC would be worthless if we ever needed it.

Remember its still private insurance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Since the halcyon years of the stock market are over, everyone is trying to preserve cash value, using different strategies. So you are doing the smart thing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I-bond purchases are limited to $10,000 a year and cannot be held in a traditional IRA or Roth IRA.

Correct? Anyone?
View Quote

That is correct.  I'm moving over 10K and the wife is moving over 10K
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Correct? Anyone?
View Quote

I believe this is correct.  There are ways to get it up to $15k, but it's still a miniscule amount.  There are also some strings attached, and the interest rate is only guaranteed for 6 mos. and then it re-adjusts IIRC.

https://www.wtae.com/article/i-bonds-should-you-invest-in-them-heres-what-financial-planners-say/40061857#

Essentially, ibonds are for the poors who have limited resources to invest.  If you have a large portfolio, they don't help much.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

FDIC would be worthless if we ever needed it.

Remember its still private insurance.
View Quote

You must not have lived through the S&L/FSLIC debacle.  I did, and the insurance paid off.  Not a penny was lost by anyone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top