Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased 10k I bond on 2/01/2022 but the value is only 10,236.00. It should be worth more if the last interest rate cycle was 7.12 and the current one is 9.62. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something or just bad at math?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased 10k I bond on 2/01/2022 but the value is only 10,236.00. It should be worth more if the last interest rate cycle was 7.12 and the current one is 9.62. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something or just bad at math?
View Quote

The way the return is calculated is convoluted.  I haven't researched it enough to know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I believe this is correct.  There are ways to get it up to $15k, but it's still a miniscule amount.  There are also some strings attached, and the interest rate is only guaranteed for 6 mos. and then it re-adjusts IIRC.

https://www.wtae.com/article/i-bonds-should-you-invest-in-them-heres-what-financial-planners-say/40061857#

Essentially, ibonds are for the poors who have limited resources to invest.  If you have a large portfolio, they don't help much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since the halcyon years of the stock market are over, everyone is trying to preserve cash value, using different strategies. So you are doing the smart thing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I-bond purchases are limited to $10,000 a year and cannot be held in a traditional IRA or Roth IRA.

Correct? Anyone?

I believe this is correct.  There are ways to get it up to $15k, but it's still a miniscule amount.  There are also some strings attached, and the interest rate is only guaranteed for 6 mos. and then it re-adjusts IIRC.

https://www.wtae.com/article/i-bonds-should-you-invest-in-them-heres-what-financial-planners-say/40061857#

Essentially, ibonds are for the poors who have limited resources to invest.  If you have a large portfolio, they don't help much.

Thanks. I thought I was missing something with all the talk about I-Bonds. They are of no help to me.

I can't think of anywhere to go with cash except bonds or CD's.

No to stock market
No to Gold
No to Real estate

I still have a lot in the market as a hedge. But the ride is over. Perhaps when a happy meal hits $10 and gas goes to $10/gallon people will wake up. But I doubt it. It will be blamed on "supply chain issues" like you say. Or some other nonsense. But not the government policies. We are in a text book recession right now with two consecutive quarters of a negative GDP. But according to the experts, we are not. Recession has been redefined, just like gender, marriage, and everything else.

Doesn't matter, because we are going to skip over recession and go straight to depression. Connect the dots. Its dead ahead.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks. I thought I was missing something with all the talk about I-Bonds. They are of no help to me.

No to stock market
No to Gold
No to Real estate

I still have a lot in the market as a hedge. But the ride is over. Perhaps when a happy meal hits $10 and gas goes to $10/gallon people will wake up. But I doubt it. It will be blamed on "supply chain issues" like you say. Or some other nonsense. But not the government policies. We are in a text book recession right now with two consecutive quarters of a negative GDP. But according to the experts, we are not. Recession has been redefined, just like gender, marriage, and everything else.

Doesn't matter, because we are going to skip over recession and go straight to depression. Connect the dots. Its dead ahead.
View Quote

Sitting in cash is a loser due to inflation, but I feel your pain.  Don't know where to go, hence this thread.  If we are at or near a top in interest rate increases, bonds seem like a good place to park some $.  But I really don't know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe the bond value reflects the 3 month interest penalty for the first 5 years. So you're seeing 4 months of interest at 7.12%.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
My word is my Bond
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sitting in cash is a loser due to inflation, but I feel your pain.  Don't know where to go, hence this thread.  If we are at or near a top in interest rate increases, bonds seem like a good place to park some $.  But I really don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No to stock market
No to Gold
No to Real estate

Yup. Cash is a loser. But a bigger loser is having everything in the stock market. All one can do is stay diversified.

Update - just looked, a 6 month CD at 3.90% is beating a US treasury at 3.82%.

https://fixedincome.fidelity.com/ftgw/fi/FILanding
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I believe the bond value reflects the 3 month interest penalty for the first 5 years. So you're seeing 4 months of interest at 7.12%.
View Quote

That math works out. Thank you
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought the title said "bombs"...
View Quote

I thought NODS. Yes, definitely time to buy NODS
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy undervalued stocks for pennies on a dollar
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why did so many vote it’s never a good time?

What am I missing?
View Quote

Because for about the last 25 years we have been riding the golden bull stock market where yearly returns often exceeded 30%.

So, the best place for your money was the US stock market.  

CD's and bonds performed poorly in comparison.

Many are thinking the stock market will be back. But that may be "irrational exuberance."

Paging Mr. Greenspan.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is correct.  I'm moving over 10K and the wife is moving over 10K
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since the halcyon years of the stock market are over, everyone is trying to preserve cash value, using different strategies. So you are doing the smart thing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I-bond purchases are limited to $10,000 a year and cannot be held in a traditional IRA or Roth IRA.

Correct? Anyone?

That is correct.  I'm moving over 10K and the wife is moving over 10K

10k per calendar year, 5k as a tax refund and you can gift eachither another 10k plus all your kids you can buy for  them. The gift box starts earning interest day 0 when you buy it but the person can't accept the gift if they already bought that year. Basically this pushes it out to the following calendar year to liquidate but earns right away. A couple can easily by jan1 of next year have 60k in
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Fed is meeting this week and is expected to raise rates by 0.75% (or maybe 1%, tops).  Will it be enough to tame inflation?  If they manage to bring inflation to heel, it would be a good time to buy new issue bonds, or bond funds.  Is now the time, or soon?

I like bonds.  I think everyone should have some in their portfolio.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because for about the last 25 years we have been riding the golden bull stock market where yearly returns often exceeded 30%.

Many are thinking the stock market will be back. But that may be "irrational exuberance."

Paging Mr. Greenspan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing?

Paging Mr. Greenspan.

Accurate
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I-bonds, take advantage of the annualized rate of 9.62%. It's looking like the November rate will be about 6% annualized.

If you and your spouse have maxed out your personal $10,000 limit, you can buy another $10k for each other as a gift. There are stipulations and such with the gifts, so DYOR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm betting 100-basis-point increase by the way CD rates have spiked. A one year CD is now at 4%.
View Quote

Not by me.  13 month at 2.1%
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I put some money into I bonds yesterday. Just figured why let the cash sit and lose value.
View Quote

Too bad I can only invest 10K a year in I bonds
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 6:55:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Accurate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing?

Paging Mr. Greenspan.

Accurate

How about this:

October 27 - Gross Domestic Product, 3rd Quarter 2022 (Advance Estimate) --Will be slightly positive. Current projection = .3%

This will be celebrated! Shout it out. No recession! We've turned the corner! Blue skies ahead! Biden is the best!!!!!

November 8, 2022 - Midterm elections

November 30 - Gross Domestic Product (Second Estimate) and Corporate Profits (Preliminary), 3rd Quarter 2022 - OH NO! Its revised downward. Its negative. We are in a recession after all!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not by me.  13 month at 2.1%
View Quote

Get an account at Fidelity.  They are offering CDs at MUCH higher rates than that.  I just bought a 3-month at 3.2%.

Note that the bond yield curve is still inverted, or nearly so.  So, going out farther doesn't mean you will get much higher rates.  An inverted yield curve means recesssion is on the horizon, historically.  It's been inverted for a while now.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How about this:

October 27 - Gross Domestic Product, 3rd Quarter 2022 (Advance Estimate) --Will be slightly positive. Current projection = .3%

This will be celebrated! Shout it out. No recession! We've turned the corner! Blue skies ahead! Biden is the best!!!!!

November 8, 2022 - Midterm elections

November 30 - Gross Domestic Product (Second Estimate) and Corporate Profits (Preliminary), 3rd Quarter 2022 - OH NO! Its revised downward. Its negative. We are in a recession after all!
View Quote

Those damn Rethuglicans did this!  All because they got elected!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Bonds are doing terrible. We’re stepping into a new world where both ends of the investment spectrum are doing terrible.

Welcome to the thunder dome.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bonds are doing terrible. We’re stepping into a new world where both ends of the investment spectrum are doing terrible.

View Quote

people bought into the sham that a 60/40 portfolio was "diversified." The reality is that the longer you hold bonds (excluding savings bonds) the higher the correlation they have to the stock market.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

people bought into the sham that a 60/40 portfolio was "diversified." The reality is that the longer you hold bonds (excluding savings bonds) the higher the correlation they have to the stock market.
View Quote

That's the beauty of bond funds.  Old bonds are retired and new bonds are purchased reflecting the new reality.  The NAV goes up and down, but they keep throwing off interest on the regular.  I have never bought individual bonds, but I have owned many bond funds with some success.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Recently, in the Age of Brandon, they have been terrible.  The point ITT is whether we are at or near peak interest rates.  I watch the market closely, and I'm getting mixed signals.

On the side of higher rates going forward is the Fed's "Prime Directive" of crushing inflation at all cost.

On the side of lower rates in the future is the (hopefully) political thrashing the Dems are going to get in Nov.  There will be a lot of pressure on the Fed to lower rates so that housing and other goods are more affordable leading up to 2024.

I do not envy the Fed.  Their nuts are in a vise.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]
No there’s always better ways to invest money than bonds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I just bought a 3-month CD for 3.2%.  Rates are going up.  Can they go up forever?  Where's the peak?  Are we near it?  That's the point ITT.

If we are at or near the peak, it's time to buy bonds.  Or CDs, if your risk tolerance is lower.
View Quote

We are nowhere near the peak. Add 10% to that 3.2%
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's the beauty of bond funds.  Old bonds are retired and new bonds are purchased reflecting the new reality.  The NAV goes up and down, but they keep throwing off interest on the regular.  I have never bought individual bonds, but I have owned many bond funds with some success.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why pay the fee when you can roll your own?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No there’s always better ways to invest money than bonds.
View Quote

There isn't "always" thats ignorant.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Fed is meeting this week and is expected to raise rates by 0.75% (or maybe 1%, tops).  Will it be enough to tame inflation?  If they manage to bring inflation to heel, it would be a good time to buy new issue bonds, or bond funds.  Is now the time, or soon?

I like bonds.  I think everyone should have some in their portfolio.
View Quote

Why would you buy bonds when rates are about to rise?  That will devalue existing bonds paying a lower rate.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why would you buy bonds when rates are about to rise?  That will devalue existing bonds paying a lower rate.
View Quote

Other than I-bonds, I would be buying bills less than a year, though 1Mo and 3Mo would be my preference. I'm not right now since I haven't maxed out my I bonds for the year. But it's a better place to park your emergency fund than in a savings account. Also, T-bills are currently paying an interest rate much higher than my mortgage rate, even after taxes. So anything extra I would put towards the principal will be going to T-bills and letting the treasury pay my mortgage interest and then some after I max out I bonds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Correct? Anyone?
View Quote

Correct though you can buy an additional $5k each year with your income tax refund on top of the $10k.

You probably wouldn't want to hold them in a tax-sheltered account anyway since you only pay federal taxes on the interest.  You can also hold them forever and leave them to heirs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Wait until interest rates reach double digits
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bruh, look at the yield curve. The short end is paying as well as the long. You can go pretty  short, not much risk in a 3 month.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't it be better to buy bonds before they hit double digits so that you're in the 5 year cycle when it happens?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm betting 100-basis-point increase by the way CD rates have spiked. A one year CD is now at 4%.
View Quote

Can you let us know where this CD for 4% is?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Accurate
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing?

Paging Mr. Greenspan.

Accurate

Actually, at least in regards to the description of the golden bull market, it's not
https://www.macrotrends.net/2526/sp-500-historical-annual-returns
I've got a number of short positions making 52 week lows and I keep finding more targets.  It's actually been a bit shocking to find that entire industries have been largely running on vc funding and/or 0% interest rates for years.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wouldn't it be better to buy bonds before they hit double digits so that you're in the 5 year cycle when it happens?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhhh no. What are you talking about.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Actually, at least in regards to the description of the golden bull market, it's not
I've got a number of short positions making 52 week lows and I keep finding more targets.  It's actually been a bit shocking to find that entire industries have been largely running on vc funding and/or 0% interest rates for years.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What am I missing?

Paging Mr. Greenspan.

Accurate

Lol yeah l, its a super cycle. PEPs been laughing at me saying that but its coming true. A large amount of businesses don't work with interest rates off the floor. Within 2 years the majority will have reset. Bye bye
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody believes this.  The economy will be in deep recession before that happens.  It's close now, based on the inverted yield curve and other metrics.  See my previous post.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bruh, look at the yield curve. The short end is paying as well as the long. You can go pretty  short, not much risk in a 3 month.
View Quote

This is correct.  Yield curve has been inverted, or nearly so, for months.  Bad news for the economy, possibly good news for purchasing new bonds if the Fed is forced to lower rates.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The market has already factored in the expected rate increase this week.  The question is, will rates continue to rise?  Dunno.  My crystal ball is cloudy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why pay the fee when you can roll your own?
View Quote

Fees are low on govt. bond funds and they provide a diversity level that I can't achieve on my own.  Fees are higher on corp bond funds, as expected.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lol yeah l, its a super cycle. PEPs been laughing at me saying that but its coming true. A large amount of businesses don't work with interest rates off the floor. Within 2 years the majority will have reset. Bye bye
View Quote

Low interest rate is a drug.  Some businesses be jonesing, man.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Series I Bonds. Great way to accumulate $100,000 over time. Currently at 9.6%.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fixedincome.fidelity.com/ftgw/fi/FILanding
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#47]
War Bonds? Yes, lol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Series I Bonds. Great way to accumulate $100,000 over time. Currently at 9.6%.
View Quote

Currently, yes.  But everything reverts to the mean, eventually.  The mean for bonds is waaaaay less than 9.6%.  The mean for U.S. stock is, what, 8%?

This is not an argument against ibonds, BTW.  They are currently great if you have a small amount to invest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nobody believes this.  The economy will be in deep recession before that happens.  It's close now, based on the inverted yield curve and other metrics.  See my previous post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but.... Inflation isn't moderating even as we had 2 down GDP quarters.... What if the economy is much worse and inflation is still running hot. The level of uncharted territory with the combination of all these massive long term fuck ups cannot be understated. Only a fool says they know how this will end. Anything is possible.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#50]
6% tax free muni's are attractive
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top