Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#1]
55’s are great.

In a 1x12.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I absolutely HATE energy numbers when it comes to talking bullets/ballistics.

For those GD’ers who never took physics, the formulas shake out like this.

PE = mgh

KE = 1/2(m*v^2)

(KE = PE)

One half mass times velocity squared.

I prefer power factor which is basically momentum, bullet weight in grains times velocity in feet per second.

It usually gives some number like 120,000 to 350,000.

Everybody just drops the last 3 digits on the right.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It fucking kills moose fine.
Also kills bou,bear,seal and walrus fine.

Just limit on how far and where you shoot them.
View Quote

I fucking love GD

86 Mazda B2000: Truck
2023 Ridgeline: Not a truck

2021: Minimum 30-06 for moose, still your funeral
2023: Glorified 22 will get it done!

Don't ever change GD!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is a SIGNIFICANT improvement, ballistically, over the 55 and 62 grain offerings.  Heck, you tube has tons of "gel test" vidoes showing how mucb mkre effective the 70+ grain loadings are.
View Quote

In comparison to what.  77 HPBT is going to do great compared to M855 green tip.  But how about Barrier blind performance 62-64 loads like MK318 Mod 1 and Fusions?  Speed kills.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

False, 70 Gr TSX is best grain. Alas, way more ‘spensive than 77gr.

JMO.

ETA: 62 gr TTSX also rocks.
View Quote

Lol 45 tsx at 3400 inside of 200...
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
My most accurate load, that I shoot out to 600 yards, is a 77 Nosler CC with 22.5 grains of IMR 4895. Not the speediest load, but will shoot 3/4 minute at 100 yards consistently.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

6.8 SPC 200 yard zero 110gr BTHP 96 inch drop @ 600 yds 529 ft-lbs
negligible increase in recoil, only 3 more grains of powder than a 223 load
That was my solution. If I was going to pay more for better 223 bullets let's just go all the way better :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 77 gr. Sierra Matchking has 96" (that's 8 feet, gentlemen) of drop at 600 yds w/200 yd. zero, and retains a whopping 355 ft. lbs. of energy.  By comparison, a lightweight 130 gr. bullet from a .357 magnum has 373 ft. lbs. at 100 yds.  If you want to make the case that a 130 gr. .357 is an awesome elk round, please carry on.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/223-remington-77-grain-matchking-trajectory-chart/

6.8 SPC 200 yard zero 110gr BTHP 96 inch drop @ 600 yds 529 ft-lbs
negligible increase in recoil, only 3 more grains of powder than a 223 load
That was my solution. If I was going to pay more for better 223 bullets let's just go all the way better :)

6.8 fucks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Energy is a useful predictor of what might happen when bone is encountered. I'm not obsessed with exit wounds but I do appreciate them. I had a very hard time getting exit wounds on 200lbs deer. If they don't strike bone they would get caught by the offside hide.

The tmk is a good bullet but it's also not great from a 20" barrel inside 50 yards.
View Quote

It drives me nuts that people will argue for small caliber and/or cup and core bullets for large game, and make the the statement that “bows kill with very little energy.”

Then in the same vein argue that traditional metrics of good bullet performance like weight retention, reliable, controlled expansion, and straight line penetration to an exit wound aren’t important.

Completely ignoring the fact that bullets and arrows ultimately kill in the exact same manner (massive hemorrhage due to blood loss) and what makes arrows efficient at killing with very little energy is complete penetration of the vitals with a sufficient sized straight line wound track.

Experienced archery hunters, especially those after big game like elk, have learned that they want a heavy arrow that will bust through shoulders and come out the other side with a large enough hole to cause sufficient hemorrhage.

Yet somehow those lessons seem to be lost on a lot of rifle hunters. Talk to any archery elk hunter who got caught up in the “speed” craze of the 90s and were flinging light arrows at elk with often poor results if shots weren’t perfect.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It drives me nuts that people will argue for small caliber and/or cup and core bullets for large game, and make the the statement that “bows kill with very little energy.”

Then in the same vein argue that traditional metrics of good bullet performance like weight retention, reliable, controlled expansion, and straight line penetration to an exit wound aren’t important.

Completely ignoring the fact that bullets and arrows ultimately kill in the exact same manner (massive hemorrhage due to blood loss) and what makes arrows efficient at killing with very little energy is complete penetration of the vitals with a sufficient sized straight line wound track.

Experienced archery hunters, especially those after big game like elk, have learned that they want a heavy arrow that will bust through shoulders and come out the other side with a large enough hole to cause sufficient hemorrhage.

Yet somehow those lessons seem to be lost on a lot of rifle hunters. Talk to any archery elk hunter who got caught up in the “speed” craze of the 90s and were flinging light arrows at elk with often poor results if shots weren’t perfect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Energy is a useful predictor of what might happen when bone is encountered. I'm not obsessed with exit wounds but I do appreciate them. I had a very hard time getting exit wounds on 200lbs deer. If they don't strike bone they would get caught by the offside hide.

The tmk is a good bullet but it's also not great from a 20" barrel inside 50 yards.

To answer the OP, it's not a different class. It's just the upper end of the spectrum of ammo from what is most common (55gr fmj). It's roughly 25% heavier, and slower, which has a decent level of benefit for certain applications.

As for the hunting nonsense.

I shot an Elk last year twice with 180gr .300 Win Mag, 180gr bonded bullet, 3,000fps muzzle velocity. Textbook shot placement. Zero exit wounds.

It reminded me a lot of killing a small doe with 5.56 a few years back with 75gr Hornady Tap. Textbook shot placement, no exit wound.

I would not choose to use 5.56 for anything larger than small deer or pigs. Sure it could work, but it might not. The bones, fat and hide of larger animals are significantly different and harder to penetrate than smaller game.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I did.  There are a bunch of disagreements on the 77 applicability for big game.  It's a bad choice for big game.

I gave you the physics of the situation.  I know physics is hard, but take a look.  8 feet of drop at 600 yards, 355 ft. lbs.  Yikes.

No cartridge on the planet "fucks above its class."  It is physically impossible.  All cartridges perform exactly as they are expected to perform based on physics.  Claims like that are precisely why we have ballistics tables.  It separates the men from the boys, as they say.

By comparison, the lowly .30-06 w/100 yard zero with a 165 gr. Rem. AccuTip drops 90", but retains 1075 ft. lbs.  

http://gundata.org/blog/post/30-06-ballistics-chart/

355 ft. lbs. vs. 1075 ft. lbs.  THREE TIMES THE ENERGY at 600 yds.  Huh.  

If you'd like, we can discuss Ballistic Coefficient.  But it involves more physics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the rokslide thread above. It’s bullet selection and design not foot pounds. 77Gr TMK/ELDM fucks above its class.

I did.  There are a bunch of disagreements on the 77 applicability for big game.  It's a bad choice for big game.

I gave you the physics of the situation.  I know physics is hard, but take a look.  8 feet of drop at 600 yards, 355 ft. lbs.  Yikes.

No cartridge on the planet "fucks above its class."  It is physically impossible.  All cartridges perform exactly as they are expected to perform based on physics.  Claims like that are precisely why we have ballistics tables.  It separates the men from the boys, as they say.

By comparison, the lowly .30-06 w/100 yard zero with a 165 gr. Rem. AccuTip drops 90", but retains 1075 ft. lbs.  

If you'd like, we can discuss Ballistic Coefficient.  But it involves more physics.

""It separates the men from the boys, as they say"
I like to say it separates the low IQ VOTERS from the highly intelligent critical thinkers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When rounds like the 6.5x55 and 30-06 (30-03) were interdicted they had extremely heavy for caliber bullets. 220gr for the 30-03 and 162 for the 6.5x55.  They remained this way for a bit until they started to really pick up steam with hunters and lighter bullets were introduced.

Are the 77gr+ loadings for the 5.56 the same but in reverse?

I’ll admit, I’ve been shooting 223 and ARs for more than a decade and never shot heavier than 64gr soft points. I still am working through my stocked up crap Russian 55gr 223 for range ammo.

55gr has almost been my only weight for the entire time. It’s fast, cheap, and good m193 is easy to both train with and keep loaded in my kit (though that’s mostly Federal 64gr soft points with the same POI as m193). I have ARs in 10.5”, multiple 16”, and an 18”. All are 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

Am I crazy for not trying out 77gr ammo, especially to keep in my HD mags? I shoot my ARs a lot and always have felt a different POI would be a big bother between my practice ammo and HD ammo…

View Quote

I think your idea is correct but i would not put 77gr .223 in the same class of "heavy for caliber" bullet as defined by sectional density.  Rather I would say that going from 55gr to 77gr is going from very light for caliber to medium for caliber at best.

77gr .223 SD=0.221 psi
162gr .264 SD=0.332 psi--0.221 would be 108gr
173gr .284 SD=0.306 psi--0.221 would be 125gr
220gr .308 SD=0.331 psi--0.221 would be 147gr
286gr .366 SD=0.305 psi--0.221 would be 207gr
350gr  .375 SD=0.356 psi-0.221 would be 218gr
500gr  .458 SD=0.341 psi--0.221 would be 325gr

SD is a good indication of penetration and 77gr .223 looks like the light end of usefull loads for those other calibers intended for thin-skinned game.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pricewise?
I flinch and shake when I see the price on a box of 77 gr.
View Quote

I think it’s $11.99 at PSA right now
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer 75gr Gold Dot and BTHP. I will admit that 77gr TMK is an impressive fragmenting round and better for unobstructed shots than the Hornady BTHP.
I am not a big fan of 77gr SMK/Mk262 yes I know it’s a much more accurate round at range vs the Hornady BTHP but it’s inconsistent with its fragmentation.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's not oversell a 22 cal, mkay.

[/quote

Does fine if you do your part.

Quote fail :)

I'm just saying, it's a .556; let's not make it something it's not (moose killer).

:)

Moose, dead by .223

Train like you fight: Hiker Kills Bear with AK-74

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Navy Seal Rob O’Neill said that three 77g OTMs, to the forehead of Osama split his head apart like a wood maul. He had to squeeze his head back together with his left hand and his knee to get a decent photo of OBL’s face.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#16]
TMKs FTW!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMHO the military should have just upgraded the general use ammo to 70+ grain bullets at 5.56 pressures and rolled with it.
View Quote

Why would they do that when they can spend billions on a new cartridge and weapon system that is designed to fail from the get go?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

False, 70 Gr TSX is best grain. Alas, way more ‘spensive than 77gr.

JMO.

ETA: 62 gr TTSX also rocks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Navy Seal Rob O’Neill said that three 77g OTMs, to the forehead of Osama split his head apart like a wood maul. He had to squeeze his head back together with his left hand and his knee to get a decent photo of OBL’s face.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure nobody believes single source reporting anymore. He's gonna post pic's or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure nobody believes single source reporting anymore. He's gonna post pic's or it didn't happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s also a silly way to judge terminal performance of a rifle bullet. You could use ANY bullet, and it’s going to do that to someone’s head if it’s going 2800fps and there’s three of them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it's so great how come .mil hasn't completely replaced it over 55gr or 62gr?
View Quote

Because the government is retarded.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I shot my first deer, a large doe, with 75 grn Hornaday tap  at 373 yards out of a 20" AR. The bullet entered just behind the left shoulder crease and punched a quarter sized hole in the opposite side crease. Liquefied both lungs. DRT.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

On the last page
"77g TMKs will fuck everything up. From paper targets at 600 yards to elk/moose."

He's not saying elk and moose at 600 yards but it is in the same sentence and seems to be implying it.
View Quote

The sentence structure separates “paper targets at 600 yards” and “elk/moose”.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I totally agree with you on physics not being able to be bent, however when shooting live targets (deer in my case) bullet selection is makes a huge difference. Ballistic coefficient, terminal performance, and starting diameter allow certain cartridges to perform better than cartridges with similar paper specs

For example, I have 2 357 rifles (Ruger 77/357 and Marlin 1894). The 357 Mag rifle puts deer down fast and reliably because of it’s bullets design, not it’s energy.

The new generation of PRC and Creedmoor cartridges dictate a tighter twist and therefore allow heavier bullets than similar cartridges (ie 243 Win vs 6mm Creedmoor). This is still physics but taking a 243 Win and putting a 1:8 barrel on it would make it “punch above its class” when compared to a standard 243.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I fucking love GD

Don't ever change GD!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking love GD

Don't ever change GD!

LARP'ers and Fudd's in the L48 < Native Subsistence Hunter in Alaska
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pricewise?
I flinch and shake when I see the price on a box of 77 gr.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking love GD

Don't ever change GD!

Almost like they know how to use a 22LR to kill a grizzly and 223 for polar bears.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
55’s are great.

In a 1x12.
View Quote

Why do you think there’s a measurable difference between a 1/12 and 1/7 with 55gr?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Midway has factory 2nds 77gr HPBT bullets for $14/100

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#31]
75 and 77 are awesome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm here at Multigun Nationals and whenever we have a long range target (>300Y) on a stage, you can hear guys setting their separate mag with just 77s.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Almost like they know how to use a 22LR to kill a grizzly and 223 for polar bears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking love GD

Don't ever change GD!

Fudds. Spears get the job done just as gud.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've heard several guys on podcast mention that when they shot people with 62 grain they kept going.  77grain dropped them fast.
View Quote

My opinion is that has more to do with the design of 855 vs the grain of the bullet used.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Because the government is retarded.
View Quote

My guess would be that it is carry-over from the Robert McNamara bean-counting, accountant days at the Pentagon.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm here at Multigun Nationals and whenever we have a long range target (>300Y) on a stage, you can hear guys setting their separate mag with just 77s.
View Quote

Are you there working the match?

Or are you strictly competing?

You should do a separate thread like an AAR of MG nat’s.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking love GD

Don't ever change GD!

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:

It is the Indian not the arrow ;-)

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
77g TMKs will fuck everything up. From paper targets at 600 yards to elk/moose. All you need in my opinion. Fling 77g SMKs for practice or even the upper range ELDMs.
View Quote

Will those bullets ever be available again?
I got out of reloading for a long time and never knew of them until they were sold out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Are you there working the match?

Or are you strictly competing?

You should do a separate thread like an AAR of MG nat’s.

View Quote

Im shooting. That might be a good idea although I’m terrible at taking notes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s what I always do in Multi-Gun, except my match long range load is a 70gr Nosler RDF. Higher velocity and lower BC than a 77gr SMK, but not as good as a TMK.

I have 2k of the 77gr RDF to try next.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking love GD

Don't ever change GD!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Quoted:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41BVxsmB6pL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

That is a tiny Polar bear.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
77g TMKs will fuck everything up. From paper targets at 600 yards to elk/moose. All you need in my opinion. Fling 77g SMKs for practice or even the upper range ELDMs.
View Quote

FML, I hope you don't hunt.

You're not even going to have the minimum recommended ft-lbs at point blank range for an elk, let alone a moose.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Google and be prepared to read for days and learn a ton

here ya go

77gr knowledge
View Quote

No. Just no.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That’s what I always do in Multi-Gun, except my match long range load is a 70gr Nosler RDF. Higher velocity and lower BC than a 77gr SMK, but not as good as a TMK.

I have 2k of the 77gr RDF to try next.
View Quote

Nice! I don't reload so since I buy factory or reloads, 77s work well and are available (at least right now).
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I don’t know about a whole different class. But if small groups and long range is your thing
75/77 is the shizzle..
My groups and me in my last DMR class shooting out to 600.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
has the 77gr tmk come back into stock recently? I gave up looking for them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No. Just no.
View Quote
Cool story, don't bother then. Trust me I used to think the same thing but there's a shit load of information to learn if you put aside personal feelings on stuff.  Or don't I don't care I'm not advocating anyone do it I'm just saying the proof is out there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're not even going to have the minimum recommended ft-lbs at point blank range for an elk, let alone a moose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"You need more than this many ft-lbs to kill elk or moose"
>Numerous elk and moose have been killed with less than half that many ft-lbs

How do you reconcile this?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking love GD

Don't ever change GD!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Quoted:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41BVxsmB6pL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Don't worry about that little guy
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
77 TMK will fragment out to nearly 300 yards in a 10.5 barrel. Regular SMK are only 125 IIRC.
View Quote
Yeah the SMK gets pretty variable past 100, I shot a deer quartering at 147 lasered yards with MK262 and the bullet icepicked probably 18" before it yawed, thankfully right around the time it reached the aorta. I prefer 70TSX for critter duty.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top