BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool story, don't bother then. Trust me I used to think the same thing but there's a shit load of information to learn if you put aside personal feelings on stuff.  Or don't I don't care I'm not advocating anyone do it I'm just saying the proof is out there.
View Quote

People take big game with .22 mag... doesn't mean they should though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

"You need more than this many ft-lbs to kill elk or moose"
>Numerous elk and moose have been killed with less than half that many ft-lbs

How do you reconcile this?
View Quote

It's a recommendation so that when fudds neck punch game, or wind blows the round off course, they can't run off and die and not be recovered, or live in agony until the wound heals.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
People post shit on the internet that says they enjoy being ignorant to learning new things. Doesn't mean they should though
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a recommendation so that when fudds neck punch game, or wind blows the round off course, they can't run off and die and not be recovered, or live in agony until the wound heals.
View Quote
You say Fudds but keep taking about things that that were gospel in the 1950s but with modern technology especially in bullets have been proven to not be gospel. That itself seems fuddish.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You say Fudds but keep taking about things that that were gospel in the 1950s but with modern technology especially in bullets have been proven to not be gospel. That itself seems fuddish.
View Quote

Or I'm speaking from a combination of personal experience and what the general consensus is when it comes to hunting... I've watched game take multiple rounds to the vitals with modern rounds and keep going... I've also had game drop immediately... why the hell would I take the risk of dropping the size/energy of the round with nothing to gain from it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullet technology has advanced substantially since cup and core designs. But the fudds are stuck in the 1970’s.

I carry a bigger caliber hunting. But not because of what I am after. It’s what else roams in the woods that wants to give me a bad day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Or I'm speaking from a combination of personal experience and what the general consensus is when it comes to hunting... I've watched game take multiple rounds to the vitals with modern rounds and keep going... I've also had game drop immediately... why the hell would I take the risk of dropping the size/energy of the round with nothing to gain from it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve seen elk drop from a 243 like a rug was pulled out from underneath them. And elk hit with Uber magnums run for miles.

Caliber isn’t the end all be all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’ve seen elk drop from a 243 like a rug was pulled out from underneath them. And elk hit with Uber magnums run for miles.

Caliber isn’t the end all be all.
View Quote

Shot placement is king... until you don't hit your mark... thats when the extra oomph is handy.

They can cope though that the .223 hit that didn't drop them must have just missed the animal though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get out your MSPaintbrush and circle the spot where a .300 Win Mag kills an elk immediately but a .223 (77 TMK) wounds it.

I know there are spots on the elk where either bullet will kill immediately, and other spots where either bullet only wounds it.  What is the middle ground where one works and the other doesn't?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
has the 77gr tmk come back into stock recently? I gave up looking for them.
View Quote

I was able to pickup some Black Hills 77TMK recently from Creedmoor and Eagle Eye guns. There’s some in stock at Lucky Gunner right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Get out your MSPaintbrush and circle the spot where a .300 Win Mag kills an elk immediately but a .223 (77 TMK) wounds it.

https://cdn.britannica.com/03/94603-050-D74D3709/elk-American-Yellowstone-National-Park-Wyoming.jpg

I know there are spots on the elk where either bullet will kill immediately, and other spots where either bullet only wounds it.  What is the middle ground where one works and the other doesn't?
View Quote

If you neck shot with a 300 WM. There's a chance it drops it... .223. No way. Also more likely to get a blood trail with the bigger caliber to allow you to properly track the wounded animal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes. I'll even settle for 69 gr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
77gr is best grain.

Yes. I'll even settle for 69 gr.

I think the accuracy of 69gr is better out to 300-400 yrd's but not by much, and they work pretty good to 600, but the 75/77gr surpasses them some where between 3 and 5.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
delete.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong.  
What you gain from it is that you can shoot thousands of rounds more practicing without ruining your wallet and your shoulder.

You need to put a bullet into a 12" target 400 yards away: Which shooter do you choose for this task?
Shooter A has fired 1000 rounds in the last two months, including 200 rounds at targets 400 and 500 yards away
Shooter B has fired 70 rounds in the last two months, 20 of which were at 200 yards, but he has a good ballistics calculator.

Which shooter do you think is better at wind?  Which do you think will flinch?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Or I'm speaking from a combination of personal experience and what the general consensus is when it comes to hunting...
View Quote

Unless you're a Native Alaskan who's family depends on subsistence hunting you have no experience relevant to the lethality of 77gr projo's on the largest and most dangerous game in North America.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wrong.  
What you gain from it is that you can shoot thousands of rounds more practicing without ruining your wallet and your shoulder.

You need to put a bullet into a 12" target 400 yards away: Which shooter do you choose for this task?
Shooter A has fired 1000 rounds in the last two months, including 200 rounds at targets 400 and 500 yards away
Shooter B has fired 70 rounds in the last two months, 20 of which were at 200 yards, but he has a good ballistics calculator.

View Quote

My rifle is set up with a .223 barrel and a 300 WSM barrel... best of both worlds
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you neck shot with a 300 WM. There's a chance it drops it... .223. No way. Also more likely to get a blood trail with the bigger caliber to allow you to properly track the wounded animal.
View Quote

Elk neck shot
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My rifle is set up with a .223 barrel and a 300 WSM barrel... best of both worlds
View Quote

This is the way… 7 SAUM, 6.5 CM and 223 here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]
What’s the best twist rate for a 77gr projectile?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Congrats... had someone hit a 6.5CM neck shot that the elk got up from last year with ELD-x. I had to put 3 in it on the run with my 300 WSM before it dropped.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My preferred loading is the 69grn SMK.

Accurate. Way better in the wind than lighter options.

I loaded 77grn SMks for a while and just seem to like the 69s better.

Have to test for yourself
View Quote

I’ve been shooting these for many years. 69 SMKs were the original “heavy bullet” and they are an accuracy benchmark.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Congrats... had someone hit a 6.5CM neck shot that the elk got up from last year with ELD-x. I had to put 3 in it on the run with my 300 WSM before it dropped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"This thing can't be done"
>It's been done.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wrong.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  

Shooting lots of rounds doesn't necessarily mean they're a good shot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

>It's been done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

>It's been done.

I've done lots of things that are dumb. I've made mistakes and one thing I learned is that 556 can kill big game but it's a poor choice.

No one is saying it can't be done.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

>It's been done.
View Quote

Someone said it on the internet, it must be true

Also the distance that the wind is pushing a round from the heart to the neck... no way.

I also don't believe for a second that was a 600+ yard hit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If the 300WSM has the edge in all of the ways you are arguing it does, why did it take 3 shots? What benefit did you gain from the cartridge?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://cdn.britannica.com/03/94603-050-D74D3709/elk-American-Yellowstone-National-Park-Wyoming.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoulder.

No way 5.56 reliably penetrates the shoulder and gets to the vitals reliably. A good .300 Win Mag does.

Shoulder shots are not uncommon.

Depending on the Bull size, angle, distance, and exact path the bullet travels through the anatomy...A 5.56 may not even reliably penetrate far enough to the vitals, through the ribs.

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it's the best common practice and should be commonly accepted. I know dudes who have biked to South America. I'm still going to recommend that the average tourist travel to Buenos Aires by air.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If the 300WSM has the edge in all of the ways you are arguing it does, why did it take 3 shots? What benefit did you gain from the cartridge?
View Quote

An animal on the run, from a quick improvised shooting position,  doesn't make the easiest target... not all 3 of those hits were to the vitals
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  

Maybe not, but it's usually a prerequisite.
So are you going with Shooter B then?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

An animal on the run, from a quick improvised shooting position,  doesn't make the easiest target... not all 3 of those hits were to the vitals
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Not all" implies that one or two of them were. Is that the case? The question, then, still stands: what benefit did you gain from the cartridge?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

>It's been done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

>It's been done.

No is saying it can't be done. It's just dumb and unnecessary.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

"Not all" implies that one or two of them were. Is that the case? The question, then, still stands: what benefit did you gain from the cartridge?
View Quote

2 weren't to the vitals, 1 was. The first 2 slowed the animal enough that I was able to get a solid 3rd shot... beyond that, if I didn't get the third shot, they would have left a suitable blood trail.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are you there working the match?

Or are you strictly competing?

You should do a separate thread like an AAR of MG nat’s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm here at Multigun Nationals and whenever we have a long range target (>300Y) on a stage, you can hear guys setting their separate mag with just 77s.

Are you there working the match?

Or are you strictly competing?

You should do a separate thread like an AAR of MG nat’s.

While I would enjoy PN5x5’s AAR…

That thread would go full retard in under a page.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's like watching virgins arguing over which cheerleader they'll never fuck gives the best head. Instead of asking the only SME in the thread about his experience LARP'ers and Fudd's fight for the morel high ground in the retard Olympics.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

At ~400 yards or less, that sounds like the perfect application of a lightweight handy autoloading rifle chambered in an intermediate caliber.  If you really hit a running elk three times with a 300 WSM, that was some fine shooting though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Your comment only makes sense if we dont hunt...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s what I always do in Multi-Gun, except my match long range load is a 70gr Nosler RDF. Higher velocity and lower BC than a 77gr SMK, but not as good as a TMK.

I have 2k of the 77gr RDF to try next.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm here at Multigun Nationals and whenever we have a long range target (>300Y) on a stage, you can hear guys setting their separate mag with just 77s.

That’s what I always do in Multi-Gun, except my match long range load is a 70gr Nosler RDF. Higher velocity and lower BC than a 77gr SMK, but not as good as a TMK.

I have 2k of the 77gr RDF to try next.

I used to do that, but now I just shoot the same load the whole match.

Just know your drops and you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/q0fTmD5/Screenshot-2023-07-23-at-15-01-01-Is-the-5-56-with-77gr-projectiles-in-a-whole-different-class-Page.png

It's like watching virgins arguing over which cheerleader they'll never fuck gives the best head. Instead of asking the only SME in the thread about his experience LARP'ers and Fudd's fight for the morel high ground in the retard Olympics.

https://media.tenor.com/cxPBPdBgDnQAAAAd/its-alll-so-tiresome-tired.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/q0fTmD5/Screenshot-2023-07-23-at-15-01-01-Is-the-5-56-with-77gr-projectiles-in-a-whole-different-class-Page.png

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://media.tenor.com/cxPBPdBgDnQAAAAd/its-alll-so-tiresome-tired.gif

"muh SME" is the rally cry of basement dweller Virgins who jack off to other mens YouTube gun channel.

It's probably time to get your 7th booster shot. The SMEs said so.

If your SME doesn't understand the basics of physics and anatomy, your SME is a total useless dipshit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#41]
For general practice the 55 and 62 grain loads are fine for me.   Any long range or home defense and im using the heavier 70-77 grain loadings.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm just saying that if you have a huge number of successfully killed animals, complete with pictures of the wounds that killed the animals but your energy values are all over the place from 400 to 4,000 ft-lbs, you should reevaluate if energy has anything to do with killing or are there a lot of other factors to it.

IMO, energy is not a qualifier or disqualifier, it's just irrelevant.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was able to pickup some Black Hills 77TMK recently from Creedmoor and Eagle Eye guns. There’s some in stock at Lucky Gunner right now.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I shot my first deer, a large doe, with 75 grn Hornaday tap  at 373 yards out of a 20" AR. The bullet entered just behind the left shoulder crease and punched a quarter sized hole in the opposite side crease. Liquefied both lungs. DRT.
View Quote

Nice.

I've shot half a dozen deer with 75gr TAP (out of a 16" AR) and the results have always been devastating. My longest shot is only about 100 yards, though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
More than enough picture proof of actual terminal destruction from TMKs and ELDMs. On par or better than .308 and magnums.
View Quote

What kind of .308 ?
The 77gr TMK is a great Bullet but a 308 still has double the energy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because people need to one up each other.

I've seen deer killed with 17 Remington. Should everyone be doing it? Absofrickinglutely not.

Bullet construction and SD are great, they really are. However, IMO (yeah shit opinion) giving yourself margin for error is the ethical thing to do. Very few people post about the animals they wounded and never recovered regardless of the weapon...

I've killed a bunch of deer with 223/5.56 but my current typical hunting range gives me the opportunity for 1000+ yard shots so it's silly to go under-gunned.

I'll put it this way, if you have all the time in the world and you're a Western resident, by all means have a good time and tinker. Wait for that great shot or get into place for it.

If you're an easterner paying $12k for a primo Elk hunt, you should probably bring a more traditional tool.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm digging my 300 SAUM so much right now...

I'm EXTREMELY tempted to do a 338RCM because of the 185 Fusion blowout that happened at Midway a couple years ago. Those bullets are like the hammer of Thor on deer and black bears.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I wish PSA would do 308/762, I’m being ass raped.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wish PSA would do 308/762, I’m being ass raped.
View Quote

SR25 ONLY
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nice.

I've shot half a dozen deer with 75gr TAP (out of a 16" AR) and the results have always been devastating. My longest shot is only about 100 yards, though.
View Quote

100 yards. Destroyed the pleural cavity.

ETA: meant to edit, not quote.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top