BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None Greasy but thanks for the mention.  Today is Valentines Day and two years ago i was in intensive care with Regina looking at all the fucked up tubes ran down her throat.  At least she was with her kids and all  her students that day.  19 Feb is gonna suck worse.  What the fuck ever.

Last thing I give a shit about is a fighter thread in GD.  Though they usually are fun.  Not for a while here.

Thanks for thinking of me brother.  Kittehs are more awesome than ever...they bring joy.

My boy is invited to the Arnold Invitational in Columbus Oh to compete in the squat challenge.  He did 430 x 14 reps two days ago in preparation. The competition is twice your body weight for reps.  His goal is to be 205lbs at weight in and do 410lbs 18 or so reps.  Insane.  My Regina did good with her two kids.

Too depressed lately to even hog hunt...how sad is that.  
View Quote
Damn brother, I hate to hear you're in pain

I'm glad to hear about your son though, that's indeed insane.  Glad those awesome kitties of yours are helping a little bit as well!

My ear is always open friend if you need someone to talk with.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Cancer stricken F-16 is best F-16.

I don’t know why but the F-16 with the Dorsal Spine and CFTs and all the other electro optical and EW shit hanging off it is so sexy.

It’s not sleek by any means but she looks so mean.
View Quote
Like a CQBR Block II vs M16A1.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
My pops worked on them in the Airforce.  He started on F4s then 15s, and finally 16s with the 311th and 310th out of Luke AFB in the 80's and 90's.  My dad is cool.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a ride in an F18 but I think the F16 is cooler.

Tiny thing up close though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A Thunderbird pilot had to eject after a practice run at USAFA a couple of years ago.  Saw pics of the plane afterwards, looked like it pancaked in a field south of town.  It looked like they could set it on a truck and haul it back to Pete Field, then fly it again. No visible damage.
View Quote
Saw a T-38 that did that north of Wichita Falls after the instructor and student punched out.  Landed flat in a corn field.  Mid 80's.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...310th out of Luke AFB...
View Quote
My old AMU.

Lots of GBU-12s and Willy-Pete rockets.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The F-16 was, is and remains a stud in the air. I'd say it is arguably the most successful jet fighter ever produced when you consider all the metrics. It has amassed an incredible record in air to air engagements, second only to the Eagle and only then by a tiny margin. It has a far better kill/loss ratio than the F-86, the F-8, the F-104, the F-105 and F-4 that came before it. It is a true multi-role aircraft that can perform a wide variety of different missions and do them well. It was affordable enough to be purchased in quantities far exceeding that of the F-15. And it is operated by numerous countries and is the most numerous fighter in the free world. It has basically been the backbone of western and free world air forces now for 40 years. And it is still going strong today. The Block 70/72 Viper will be as deadly as anything flying today that isn't an F-22 or F-35. I'd say it has had a quite successful run. And the story of the F-16 hasn't yet been completed. It wil soldier on for many years into the future.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The F-16 was, is and remains a stud in the air. I'd say it is arguably the most successful jet fighter ever produced when you consider all the metrics. It has amassed an incredible record in air to air engagements, second only to the Eagle and only then by a tiny margin. It has a far better kill/loss ratio than the F-86, the F-8, the F-104, the F-105 and F-4 that came before it. It is a true multi-role aircraft that can perform a wide variety of different missions and do them well. It was affordable enough to be purchased in quantities far exceeding that of the F-15. And it is operated by numerous countries and is the most numerous fighter in the free world. It has basically been the backbone of western and free world air forces now for 40 years. And it is still going strong today. The Block 70/72 Viper will be as deadly as anything flying today that isn't an F-22 or F-35. I'd say it has had a quite successful run. And the story of the F-16 hasn't yet been completed. It wil soldier on for many years into the future.
View Quote
Is the AF planning to keep a good number operational even after F35 Ramps up? I hope we don’t go all expensive stealth when much of our air missions don’t seem to be in contested or heavily defended airspace. Or do they intend to eventually replace all f16 with F35?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure, depending on what you are using for criteria.

I’ll go with the F-22 because it is so revolutionary and so much better than anything out there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'll go with the F-22 because it is so revolutionary and so much better than anything out there.
View Quote
The 22 is an amazing jet but it's pretty spendy and we'll never have more than a couple dozen of them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Aren’t those removable conformal tanks along the fuselage?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
You sir are 110% correct!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The 22 is an amazing jet but it's pretty spendy and we'll never have more than a couple dozen of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll go with the F-22 because it is so revolutionary and so much better than anything out there.
I just hope we don't have people like Barack Obama and Robert Gates in charge when it comes time to start buying PCA and F/A-XX. I will forever despise those two fuckers for killing the F-22 prematurely.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
None Greasy but thanks for the mention.  Today is Valentines Day and two years ago i was in intensive care with Regina looking at all the fucked up tubes ran down her throat.  At least she was with her kids and all  her students that day.  19 Feb is gonna suck worse.  What the fuck ever.

Last thing I give a shit about is a fighter thread in GD.  Though they usually are fun.  Not for a while here.

Thanks for thinking of me brother.  Kittehs are more awesome than ever...they bring joy.

My boy is invited to the Arnold Invitational in Columbus Oh to compete in the squat challenge.  He did 430 x 14 reps two days ago in preparation. The competition is twice your body weight for reps.  His goal is to be 205lbs at weight in and do 410lbs 18 or so reps.  Insane.  My Regina did good with her two kids.

View Quote
Wish ARF could do a Missing Angel formation for Regina sir. You have my condolences.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Removable". Which means you aren't without a pretty good reason, like fuel tank mx or pulling a gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wish ARF could do a Missing Angel formation for Regina sir. You have my condolences.
View Quote
Matters not but
God Bless you for the thought
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just hope we don't have people like Barack Obama and Robert Gates in charge when it comes time to start buying PCA and F/A-XX. I will forever despise those two fuckers for killing the F-22 prematurely.
View Quote
I hear ya!  I built the displays on those jets.  Tough engineering--building a bullet proof digital package from COTS parts and crappy eco-friendly solder that had to run in a ludicrous range of conditions.  We used to get them back from repair with have high-water-marks on the inside.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hang in there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hang in there.
View Quote
That's the plan.

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:22:40 AM EDT
[#20]
My fav bird is leading the pack there. F-111
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Selling and giving away a  bunch of monkey model export versions to 2nd rate air forces around the globe doesn't make it better than the 15.  Everything the 16 does, the 15 does better.
View Quote
The Block 70/72 F-16 is selling like hot cakes and it’s way better than the F-16s our own Air Force has so I don’t think your comment holds water,
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#22]
F-16's will always be special to me.

My father worked for General Dynamics on the F-111 and then moved to the F-16 program when it started.  He eventually got tired of getting screwed over for promotion because he didn't have the right degrees and opened his own little machine shop as a subcontractor on the aircraft.  To this day he is still a part-time consultant for the outfit he sold all his tooling to when he retired.

I put myself through college and bought my first car on the profits from a rework project to fix some out of spec wing forgings another sub fouled up but didn't want to scrap.

I have never been to Boeing's factory but to a kid the main building at the plant in Ft. Worth was a sight to behold back when they were coming off the line at full production.  As you walked down the line you could see the aircraft slowly taking shape.

Somewhere packed away at my parents house I think I still have a plastic model of the YF-16 painted in the original GD color scheme we put together at the kitchen table.  I will have to go looking for that next time I am back home in Texas.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
F-16's will always be special to me.

My father worked for General Dynamics on the F-111 and then moved to the F-16 program when it started.  He eventually got tired of getting screwed over for promotion because he didn't have the right degrees and opened his own little machine shop as a subcontractor on the aircraft.  To this day he is still a part-time consultant for the outfit he sold all his tooling to when he retired.

I put myself through college and bought my first car on the profits from a rework project to fix some out of spec wing forgings another sub fouled up but didn't want to scrap.

I have never been to Boeing's factory but to a kid the main building at the plant in Ft. Worth was a sight to behold back when they were coming off the line at full production.  As you walked down the line you could see the aircraft slowly taking shape.

Somewhere packed away at my parents house I think I still have a plastic model of the YF-16 painted in the original GD color scheme we put together at the kitchen table.  I will have to go looking for that next time I am back home in Texas.
View Quote

1886 hrs blk 30, 32, 40, 42, 50 and 52

I digress...
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

1886 hrs blk 30, 32, 40, 42, 50 and 52

I digress...
View Quote
Glad they were good to you and I am sorry for your loss.

My dad was too much of a peon for me to ever get to sit in a finished one much less catch a ride.

Closest I got to that was when he was building a high speed wind tunnel at the plant.  They had a partial forward section in the same building.  While we were there the building was otherwise empty so I got a few min of seat time in my head.

Then again I got pretty airsick riding in a Super Cub and barely made it back to the apron before I got out to puke so perhaps that wouldn't have been such a great idea anyway :-)
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There were over 11,000 MiG 21 produced, plus 2400 Chinese Chengdu J-7 copies.
Close to triple the number of F-16's
I guess it depends on your definition of success.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/MiG-21_Lancer_C_cropped.jpg
View Quote
They’re slowly being replaced with F-16s.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
T H I C C
H
I
C
C
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Phantom is boomer plane.

The F-16 has modern aerodynamics and electronics. It's far superior in just about any mission you can come up with and much sexier to boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
F-4 Phantom.  STILL #1.
5195 Built.  Introduced May 27 1958. Still In Service Today.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318250/phantom-sunset-1276160.jpg
Phantom is boomer plane.

The F-16 has modern aerodynamics and electronics. It's far superior in just about any mission you can come up with and much sexier to boot.
The 16 is all sciencey and practical and shit. The F4 flew because "fuck you, physics!", and that's how we rolled in the old days.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Exactly. 11,000 hunks of disposable garbage, plus 2,400 copies of hunks of disposable garbage.

And what are the former operators of those types switching to? F-16s, as quickly as they can afford to!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#29]
20 years, 3 months and 18 days.

All F16 2w1 and 2A3. I have been elbows deep in vipers since 1986 and still deal with the everyday at work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The 16 is all sciencey and practical and shit. The F4 flew because "fuck you, physics!", and that's how we rolled in the old days.
View Quote
A couple of J79's would make almost anything fly.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Phantom is boomer plane.

The F-16 has modern aerodynamics and electronics. It’s far superior in just about any mission you can come up with and much sexier to boot.
View Quote
Just about every airplane design the Airforce, Navy and USMC is flying predates the birth of most of the young idiots throwing around the term "boomer".

Furthermore, the most  modern flying military machines in existence were all designed and developed by those stodgy "boomer" people.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just about every airplane design the Airforce, Navy and USMC is flying predates the birth of most of the young idiots throwing around the term "boomer".

Furthermore, the most  modern flying military machines in existence were all designed and developed by those stodgy "boomer" people.
View Quote
Yes, and they did much of it in the early days with slide rules and drafting tables which makes it even more impressive.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
F-4 Phantom.  STILL #1.
View Quote
And still the loudest fucking jet ever.

I would bet that they're right there with B1's taking off in full afterburner in sheer loudness.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Phantom is boomer plane.

The F-16 has modern aerodynamics and electronics. It’s far superior in just about any mission you can come up with and much sexier to boot.
View Quote
I have talked to pilots who have flown both air craft and they mostly agree with you except for one type of mission

All stated they preferred the F-4 for wild weasel missions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would bet that they're right there with B1's taking off in full afterburner in sheer loudness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
F-4 Phantom.  STILL #1.

Laughs in U-2. My God, that is a loud mother.

I was supposed to get an incentive ride in the -16 years ago at Edwards, but the plan fell through.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's worth noting that the single combat loss of an F-16, was to another F-16. So that's kinda a wash.

Comparing it's record to the F-15, it's a credible Air to Air combatant. It's not quite as good as the 15 in the Pure A2A role but it is head and shoulders above everything else comparable. The Combination of the 15 and the 16 is pretty uniquely formidable in the annals of Aerial warfare.
View Quote
Didn't an Indian Mig23 take a Pakistan F16 last year? I know it's an export version, but a Mig23.......
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No the ME 109 was not a jet , you are thinnking of an ME262 .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ME109 jet?
No the ME 109 was not a jet , you are thinnking of an ME262 .
I was responding to the post you didn't quote. I know EXACTLY what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Never been a fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
F-4 Phantom.  STILL #1.
Never been a fan.
I love the F4 just because NG pilots used to scream over my house in them when I was a kid in the 80s.   Low and fast.

It was glorious.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Didn't an Indian Mig23 take a Pakistan F16 last year? I know it's an export version, but a Mig23.......
View Quote
That doesn't necessarily mean that much.

Pilot quality makes a huge difference as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lawn dart FTMFW
View Quote
hell yea!
F16 Viper by Chris B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I call it Faith man!  Thanks and always do.  But sometimes I wallow in crap.
View Quote
well, good to see you posting anyway, you old coot!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Departing Gila Bend auxiliary field

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Conformal tanks? Yes. Along with a variety of electronic systems like targeting pods I believe.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Bullshit! We performed an audit and found all Pakistani  F16s accounted for!

Members here should know better than to promote Indian propaganda. Look up Christine Fair’ s comments on that February 2019 skirmish.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stay strong.  Well wishes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
20 years, 3 months and 18 days.

All F16 2w1 and 2A3. I have been elbows deep in vipers since 1986 and still deal with the everyday at work.
View Quote
A load toad? I can’t remember the 2A3...is that nose picker or pointy head?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, same here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:08:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I’ll go with the F-22 because it is so revolutionary and so much better than anything out there.
View Quote
And how many were built? How many will fly? In another decade how many are gonna be left flying after they cannabalize them? I mean sure, its the best thing going right now, but I don't think its going to be have much of a record, even relative to the F35 which is being built and is gonna serve with a load of airforces.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#50]
OR JF-17's which are a weird F-16/Mig21/mig29 hybrid... Depends on whose AF...
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top