BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Didn't an Indian Mig23 take a Pakistan F16 last year? I know it's an export version, but a Mig23.......
View Quote
Mig21 actually. A heavily upgraded one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And how many were built? How many will fly? In another decade how many are gonna be left flying after they cannabalize them? I mean sure, its the best thing going right now, but I don't think its going to be have much of a record, even relative to the F35 which is being built and is gonna serve with a load of airforces.
View Quote
Again, it depends on your definition of success. I’m not holding it’s combat record against it- can only control what you can control. But it’s training record is unmatched. Look at its record vs any teen fighter. It’s unheard of stuff. Revolutionary really. I have fought them before. It’s like being on a high school football team playing the KC Chiefs. Unfair. Now if numbers, exports, etc are your criteria then fine, F16, MiG21, F4.....all have good points to go with.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Phantom is boomer plane.

The F-16 has modern aerodynamics and electronics. It's far superior in just about any mission you can come up with and much sexier to boot.
View Quote
The Phantom's first flight was in 1958.  So the oldest boomer would be 8 years old at the time.

It's very, very unlikely that any boomer worked on the design of the F-4.   Probably not many on the original design of the F-16 either, but many on the later block designs.  Boomers were probably the most numerous on the design team for the F-22.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
The F-15 is God's airplane, that's gospel in the Eagle world.

That being said, I work around -16's now, they are...OK.

I think in the 1980s I've heard stories that the USAF was losing 2 a month due to pilots g-locking and engine flameouts.

Things are different now, but I'll always be partial to the Eagle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Phantom's first flight was in 1958.  So the oldest boomer would be 8 years old at the time.

It's very, very unlikely that any boomer worked on the design of the F-4.   Probably not many on the original design of the F-16 either, but many on the later block designs.  Boomers were probably the most numerous on the design team for the F-22.
View Quote
Didn't the Baby Boom start in 1945?

So in 1958 the oldest Boomers would be 13.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
F-16s are so widespread because they're relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
They used to make them about 20 miles from here.
Seen them fly low level quite a bit.
About as quiet as they come just cruising along.
Nice little fighter jet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would have thought the F-5E Tiger II sold more but the F-16 series is still in production.
EDIT - Wiki only says a little over 2,000 F-5s were made, I would have thought it was a lot more as many air forces flew them
View Quote
The original F-16A was heads and shoulders better than the F-5E.

The F-16C would have been better than the F-20 Tigershark had that plane made it into production.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#9]
The F-16 is the best bomber that the USAF has ever had.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Even though it only has one engine, it's still a great fighter/ground support aircraft. It can pull as many g's as a pilot can handle, and carry plenty of ordnance for whatever.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#11]
There is zero actual proof that the Indian MiG pilot shot down an F-16 before being downed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:50:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now proudly made in South Carolina.  
View Quote
We learned from the past. All we need now is a tank plant....
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm somewhat skeptical of any fighter not made in St. Louis.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There were over 11,000 MiG 21 produced, plus 2400 Chinese Chengdu J-7 copies.
Close to triple the number of F-16's
I guess it depends on your definition of success.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3d/MiG-21_Lancer_C_cropped.jpg
View Quote
The MiG-21 is one beautiful plane
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#15]
The cranked arrow wing F-16 was my favorite F-16.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top