Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 23
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
So, bump... on my drive in this morning, just north of the FCA Tech Center, I saw two modded Gladiators, one done up in an Overland style with the rack on the back, all that jazz. Both looked great. I assume they were Mopar mods given the proximity to the Tech Center...

No pics unfortunately, but I keep my eyes peeled for these things.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
They are becoming more common.  
I probably see 3-4 a week not including the ones on dealer lots.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
still haven't seen one on the road here in Colorado
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
One in my neighborhood in Spring/The Woodlands area.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want a more Jeep like Tacoma, this is it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Went to look at these, but only the 3.6l?

needs more go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve seen several around Santa Monica and saw one up in Big Sur this weekend. Girlfriend and I had been on a camping / spearfishing road trip and had the Willys Unlimited packed to the gills . . . she was pretty excited about all the extra cargo room in the bed. The family driving it was definitely enjoying the soft top down, Big Sur was perfect convertible weather this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want a more Jeep like Tacoma, this is it.
View Quote
If you want a 4 door small truck where people can sit in the back seat this is it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thought about this thread over the weekend and yesterday.

Saw 2 lower trim levels Sunday in rural NTX and a rubicon in Dallas yesterday.  Seeing them with more regularity over the last couple of months.

Flop? No idea.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
All Girls Garage just did a show on the gladiator. They installed a lift kit, bed rack, and a snorkel kit. It looked pretty good for what is was. At the beginning of the show I think they made reference to its popularity.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
So I have a second home in Northern NY in a small town in the adirondacks.  Next town over has a population of maybe 3500 people and THREE car dealerships (Ford, Chevy, and Dodge/Jeep).

The Jeep dealership has like 8-10 Gladiators on the lot, 3 of which are Rubicons.

Now, I don’t know how they’re moving elsewhere, but I’m absolutely stunned that this small town dealer got that many of them.  Doesn’t look like he’s moving many.

The median income in the area is just above the poverty line.  $60k trucks don’t move too often I don’t think
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My criticism this entire time has been one of value.

The little truck with the cramped interior and the passenger car V6 making 285 hp and 260 ft-lbs costs just as much as the big truck with a spacious interior, a V8 with 410 hp and 429 ft-lbs, and heavy duty everything. As a bonus, while the Gladiator has an optional winch bumper, the Power Wagon actually gets a 12k pound Warn winch from the factory that's standard for the trim. The Power Wagon also has lockers and the sway bar disconnect, but I would assume those components are beefier (and therefore more expensive) than those found on the Gladiator.

I do understand that the Power Wagon has an economy of scale advantage due to the total volume of the Ram 2500. But the pricing of the Gladiator, for what you get relative to other trucks on the market, just isn't good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We went full circle from Jeep Gladiator to Astro Van.

Everyone stop swinging your dicks and admit that you’ve never driven a Rubicon off-road or up a hill that would make your boyfriend scream, therefore your vehicle expertise from articles and your comparisons to the Ranger, Tacoma, and Astro can are null and void.

The Gladiator is so far from being a Tacoma or Ranger or Astro can.

My F150 is more like a Raptor than a Gladiator is similar to any other kid sized truck on the market. Your Tacoma TRD 4x4 SLE Z71 FX4 doesn’t come close in capability.

Read all the articles you want, compare cup holders, sound systems, and steering wheel stitch patterns, then go drive the two.
Capability requirements vary and the Gladiator's price point throws it into a big pile.

Offroad worktruck?  3/4 ton would tear it apart.
Offroad race truck?  Raptor would tear it apart.
Tight trail truck?  Wrangler Rubicon would tear it apart.
Jack of all trades master of none that also seats 4 with a 5' bed? Midsize looks pretty good for a lot less coin.

My offroading is using my old Ranger like a UTV around the farm, a Gladiator would struggle due to maneuverability and short bed.
Pretty much.

And for another amusing observation, the Gladiator Rubicon and the Ram 2500 Power Wagon are priced almost exactly the same. AutoTrader

Is this that moment of clarity when you finally ask yourself "What is so different about these two vehicles that the same manufacturer builds both?"

The little truck with the cramped interior and the passenger car V6 making 285 hp and 260 ft-lbs costs just as much as the big truck with a spacious interior, a V8 with 410 hp and 429 ft-lbs, and heavy duty everything. As a bonus, while the Gladiator has an optional winch bumper, the Power Wagon actually gets a 12k pound Warn winch from the factory that's standard for the trim. The Power Wagon also has lockers and the sway bar disconnect, but I would assume those components are beefier (and therefore more expensive) than those found on the Gladiator.

I do understand that the Power Wagon has an economy of scale advantage due to the total volume of the Ram 2500. But the pricing of the Gladiator, for what you get relative to other trucks on the market, just isn't good.
Dollar per pound Jeeps are the most expensive vehicles out there.   Prove me wrong

ETA:  Jeep Wrangler unlimited $14.00 per lb*.  Ram 2500 $10.00 per lb*
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dollar per pound Jeeps are the most expensive vehicles out there.   Prove me wrong

View Quote
Is this a meaningful unit of measure?
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meaningful? but entertaining...yes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks functional.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you want a 4 door small truck where people can sit in the back seat this is it.
View Quote
I am 6'2" and I fit in the back of the Gladiator nicely. Lots of storage under the rear seats and some behind the rear seats too. Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Needs more angry eyes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We went full circle from Jeep Gladiator to Astro Van.

Everyone stop swinging your dicks and admit that you’ve never driven a Rubicon off-road or up a hill that would make your boyfriend scream, therefore your vehicle expertise from articles and your comparisons to the Ranger, Tacoma, and Astro can are null and void.

The Gladiator is so far from being a Tacoma or Ranger or Astro can.

My F150 is more like a Raptor than a Gladiator is similar to any other kid sized truck on the market. Your Tacoma TRD 4x4 SLE Z71 FX4 doesn’t come close in capability.

Read all the articles you want, compare cup holders, sound systems, and steering wheel stitch patterns, then go drive the two.
Capability requirements vary and the Gladiator's price point throws it into a big pile.

Offroad worktruck?  3/4 ton would tear it apart.
Offroad race truck?  Raptor would tear it apart.
Tight trail truck?  Wrangler Rubicon would tear it apart.
Jack of all trades master of none that also seats 4 with a 5' bed? Midsize looks pretty good for a lot less coin.

My offroading is using my old Ranger like a UTV around the farm, a Gladiator would struggle due to maneuverability and short bed.
Pretty much.

And for another amusing observation, the Gladiator Rubicon and the Ram 2500 Power Wagon are priced almost exactly the same. AutoTrader

Is this that moment of clarity when you finally ask yourself "What is so different about these two vehicles that the same manufacturer builds both?"

A Bugatti Veyron costs $388 per pound.  What do I win.

Also this is the dumbest metric I have ever heard of for comparing vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am 6'2" and I fit in the back of the Gladiator nicely. Lots of storage under the rear seats and some behind the rear seats too. Pretty cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats right.  My kids under the age of 10 cant even fit in the back of a Tacoma with the seats all the way back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You really didn't think this through...
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Selling as fast as they can get them here. My understanding is a diesel will be available next year if it’s the eco-diesel it’ll be awesome. Wife has a 1500 with one and it’s got pretty good power even compared to the Hemi.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The tow rating and cargo capacity are both wrong for the Rubicon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The tow rating and cargo capacity are both wrong for the Rubicon.
Fair point, those are the numbers for the much cheaper Sport.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thats right.  My kids under the age of 10 cant even fit in the back of a Tacoma with the seats all the way back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the pound is dumb, but by the 10 year old is smart?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Saw probably 4 or so on the trails for 2 days at Jeepfest in Jasper, Ga. over the weekend.

Was hoping to see them out there. Seemed to be driven by tools (driving real slow, stopping for no reason in the middle of the trail by themselves, stopping to have conversations in the middle of the trails, etc...) when I did see them though. One actually pulled over with their group so I started going around them and a lady jumps out of it and yells at me to stop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Saw one in the wild a couple of weeks back:

Attachment Attached File

This is Los Angeles, where frivolous cars are everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Saw one in the wild a couple of weeks back:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/47409/80E6ECC3-1C05-4DE2-BFC8-559DCF3551B8_jpeg-1079341.JPG

This is Los Angeles, where frivolous cars are everywhere.
View Quote
It looks a lot like a Mahindra Pickup, not the ROXOR.  I like the Mahindra pickup.  Too bad they were unreliable death traps.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Selling as fast as they can get them here. My understanding is a diesel will be available next year if it’s the eco-diesel it’ll be awesome. Wife has a 1500 with one and it’s got pretty good power even compared to the Hemi.
View Quote
All depends on EPA.

They hate diesels.

Well see the wrangler first though before the gladiator gets the 3.0.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks functional.
View All Quotes
Holy crap that wheelbase..
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#30]
OP let me know when your head starts leaking coolant into the block galley
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I have seen two more in the wild the last couple of weeks. Both in the Boise area .
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#32]
They are all over the place here but then I'm in MI
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a Wrangler, I LOVE them. And I admire the Gladiator but I don’t want one for “‘me”. They are cool and all. But they are a little to ‘unique’ for my taste.

When I drive my the Jeep dealership there are lots of them on the lot for sale. And I’m seeing more and more of them being driven.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm in Phoenix which has a bazillion Jeeps and I have maybe seen 1 or 2 of these things.  The real problem for FCA is not only are Tacomas cheaper, they are built about 10x better than any FCA product.

I just bought a Double Cab Tundra, has everything you really need, 4WD but no TRD pkg.  $36k plus tax.

Toyotas also super popular in Phoenix and I think the die hard outdoor people lean Toyota vs. Jeep.  If this Jeep truck was two door with maybe a fancy storage system behind the front seats, along with a topper it would have been ideal for the outdoor crowd.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Finally saw one in the wild today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Wish they would change the hinges to something other then cheap pot metal, every Jeep I see in Michigan with the damn things corrode after a few years and the paint bubbles and falls off.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Seen a couple around here and not bad, but not super impressed.  One of them was driving next to us and got on it and it sounded like complete ass!!  Not sure if he had an aftermarket exhaust that was horrible or if they sound that bad from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wish they would change the hinges to something other then cheap pot metal, every Jeep I see in Michigan with the damn things corrode after a few years and the paint bubbles and falls off.
View Quote
The doors/hinges are new design for JL/JT.

Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good, the old ones were shit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I will be sure to get back to you in 2029

Quoted:
OP let me know when your head starts leaking coolant into the block galley
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Good, the old ones were shit.
View Quote
9/10 cars have rust in Michigan and Ohio.

I had to replace all my lug nuts, and pressure wash/recoat my frame after 5 weeks up there this winter.

Rust central.

Also....

It's a Jeep.

Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Interesting this thread popped back up. Stop at my local dealer yesterday on the way to the gas station...they removed the window stickers from all of the gladiators
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Interesting this thread popped back up. Stop at my local dealer yesterday on the way to the gas station...they removed the window stickers from all of the gladiators
View Quote
What area are you in?  One of the dealers in San Antonio did the same thing.  Thoughts on why?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So I have a second home in Northern NY in a small town in the adirondacks.  Next town over has a population of maybe 3500 people and THREE car dealerships (Ford, Chevy, and Dodge/Jeep).

The Jeep dealership has like 8-10 Gladiators on the lot, 3 of which are Rubicons.

Now, I don’t know how they’re moving elsewhere, but I’m absolutely stunned that this small town dealer got that many of them.  Doesn’t look like he’s moving many.

The median income in the area is just above the poverty line.  $60k trucks don’t move too often I don’t think
View Quote
They’re all over Queensbury Glens Falls area.    I see about four or five a day, not counting the half dozen on each of the three stocking dealer lots I pass in my travels.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All depends on EPA.

They hate diesels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All depends on EPA.

They hate diesels.

I understand that they derated the diesels because they couldn't get enough air flow through the Jeep grill and overheat so they'll have the  lowest towing rating which is sad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#46]
See plenty of them around here and I keep wanting to like them. However, every time I see one up close it is just meh. Maybe after you put a few thousand into extra mods , but still im not that impressed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What area are you in?  One of the dealers in San Antonio did the same thing.  Thoughts on why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here. Maybe they are scaring people off with the horrendous pricing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Same here. Maybe they are scaring people off with the horrendous pricing.
View Quote
Those are my thoughts.
My real qualm isn't so much the price, it's the cab configuration. I want an extended regular cab. Something with two doors but enough room behind the seats for recovery equipment and some luggage. Shorten up that damn wheelbase and get the spare tire mounted in the bed.

Vinyl or bed lined floors would be a big win too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a Wrangler, I LOVE them. And I admire the Gladiator but I don't want one for "'me". They are cool and all. But they are a little to 'unique' for my taste.

When I drive my the Jeep dealership there are lots of them on the lot for sale. And I'm seeing more and more of them being driven.
View Quote
That and jeep don't go together. Yuppie wagon mini vans off the off-road world.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#50]
They're neat. Not $45,000 neat though.

I can buy buy a nice new Tacoma and lots of aftermarket parts for that much.

Too much money for what you're getting. Add in Fiat build quality, and I'm a hard no.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top