BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What area are you in?  One of the dealers in San Antonio did the same thing.  Thoughts on why?
View Quote
Probably so they can jack the price up and the purchaser will be none the wiser.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I had an '86 Comanche and loved it. It was the last year AMC made the Comanche and it had an AMC 2.5l 4 cylinder engine with a 4spd manual transmission. I beat that truck ragged and it just kept asking for more. Haven't owned another Jeep since. Paid $2,300 for that truck a few years old and drove it forever. Even if the Gladiator was affordable it looks ridiculous, it's made by Chrysler/Fiat, the wheelbase is as long as a schoolbus, no thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
My son wants be to get one (or a Ram)...we will see.

I have a JKU now and will wait another 2 years or so for the bugs to get worked out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They're neat. Not $45,000 neat though.

I can buy buy a nice new Tacoma and lots of aftermarket parts for that much.

Too much money for what you're getting. Add in Fiat build quality, and I'm a hard no.
View Quote
The irony of thinking its too much to pay but being okay with decking out a truck with items that do nothing but drop resale value...

You could buy a Rubicon Gladiator for $45k and it will be worth $35k in 5 years.

You could buy a Tacoma for $30k, deck it out with $15k in after market accessories to make it as capable as a Rubicon Jeep, and it will be worth $20k in 5 years.

Which one is the smart decision again?
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The irony of thinking its too much to pay but being okay with decking out a truck with items that do nothing but drop resale value...

You could buy a Rubicon Gladiator for $45k and it will be worth $35k in 5 years.

You could buy a Tacoma for $30k, deck it out with $15k in after market accessories to make it as capable as a Rubicon Jeep, and it will be worth $20k in 5 years.

View Quote
I thought rubiglads were well over 45k. Haven't kept track though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#6]
@joshiedoom

Luckily the Rams and GC already get them so does the F150, GMC 1500 and the Colorado’s they are again becoming more accepted
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mancow

No everyone keeps hating on the decked out models.

You can walk into a Jeep dealership and order a base level Rubicon Gladiator for $45k.  When you subtract what you are getting with that and what it would cost to upgrade (lift, wheels, tires, steel winch capable front bumper, front and rear axles with e-lockers) its effectively a $30k-$35k truck just a much better deal then buying all that stuff on its own and not getting any increase in resale value.

I have researched everything to the penny and try as I might there is no deal better then a Rubicon Gladiator if you want strong front and rear axles, a lift, at least 33 inch tires and front and rear e-lockers.  That's taking into account everything including resale value.  Nothing is out there is a better deal. Nothing.

Sure you could buy a $33k Tacoma and add $15k in aftermarket accessories to make it as capable as a Rubicon.  But you now have dropped $15k in cash on a vehicle only worth $33k and will only depreciate further.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had an '86 Comanche and loved it. It was the last year AMC made the Comanche and it had an AMC 2.5l 4 cylinder engine with a 4spd manual transmission. I beat that truck ragged and it just kept asking for more. Haven't owned another Jeep since. Paid $2,300 for that truck a few years old and drove it forever. Even if the Gladiator was affordable it looks ridiculous, it's made by Chrysler/Fiat, the wheelbase is as long as a schoolbus, no thanks.
View Quote
Facts > Emotions/Perceptions

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All depends on EPA.

They hate diesels.

Well see the wrangler first though before the gladiator gets the 3.0.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Selling as fast as they can get them here. My understanding is a diesel will be available next year if it’s the eco-diesel it’ll be awesome. Wife has a 1500 with one and it’s got pretty good power even compared to the Hemi.
All depends on EPA.

They hate diesels.

Well see the wrangler first though before the gladiator gets the 3.0.
The eco diesel launches in the 4 door Wrangler at the end of this year. I think the power is bumped up a little over the old version. No word on the truck getting the diesel but once it is in the Wrangler putting it in the truck is not that difficult. The truck has more cooling too so the diesel will probably work better there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@mancow

No everyone keeps hating on the decked out models.

You can walk into a Jeep dealership and order a base level Rubicon Gladiator for $45k.  When you subtract what you are getting with that and what it would cost to upgrade (lift, wheels, tires, steel winch capable front bumper, front and rear axles with e-lockers) its effectively a $30k-$35k truck just a much better deal then buying all that stuff on its own and not getting any increase in resale value.

I have researched everything to the penny and try as I might there is no deal better then a Rubicon Gladiator if you want strong front and rear axles, a lift, at least 33 inch tires and front and rear e-lockers.  That's taking into account everything including resale value.  Nothing is out there is a better deal. Nothing.

Sure you could buy a $33k Tacoma and add $15k in aftermarket accessories to make it as capable as a Rubicon.  But you now have dropped $15k in cash on a vehicle only worth $33k and will only depreciate further.
View Quote
Nice. My JKU is that color. Me like
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Too much money for what you're getting. Add in Fiat build quality, and I'm a hard no.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's in EVERY jeep thread, bagging on jeep.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
42-65 MSRP.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The eco diesel launches in the 4 door Wrangler at the end of this year. I think the power is bumped up a little over the old version. No word on the truck getting the diesel but once it is in the Wrangler putting it in the truck is not that difficult. The truck has more cooling too so the diesel will probably work better there.
View Quote
I know it's getting the diesel, just when.

JT is in my work title.

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw several diesels being tested at Moab. Also saw one diesel Gladiator come back on a flatbed with a busted front axle.

Oh and try getting a badge of honor with a Bison or Astro.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw a bunch of them in San Antonio.  The rental company had quite a few.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Haven't see one on the road yet. Surprises me actually. It's the kind of thing I keep an eye out for.

Too soon to call it a flop, but I'm thinking there are going to be some lease specials soon...
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
still haven't seen one on the road here in Colorado
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:43:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was behind an older stock Ford Expedition on Engineer Pass.

The Alpine Loop is pretty easy if you come in from Lake City or Silverton. The Mineral Creek trail from Ouray has a few pucker points, though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I saw a lifted JTR on 37s while driving home from work today. Looked pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Weird. I saw a ton when I was on vacation in CO. I haven't seen many here yet.

Quoted:

The Alpine Loop is pretty easy if you come in from Lake City or Silverton. The Mineral Creek trail from Ouray has a few pucker points, though.
Mineral Creek was fun. IMO, all the other trails (except Poughkeepsie) making up the Alpine Loop, or are branching off from there, were really easy except one or two slightly more demanding spots. Imogene from Ouray to Telluride was much more challenging than the reverse direction, as well.

As a fan and owner of midsize trucks I still can't decide if I like the Gladiator or not. The wheelbase is really long and the bed seems small. The cab being as roomy as it is seems nice though. I'd like to see them do a extended cab version based off the seating from the 2dr Wrangler. Do it with the same short bed as the crew cab and a shorter wheelbase and then also with a slightly longer bed that keeps the same wheelbase as the crew cab, similar to how some of the other midsize trucks are.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Just got my skyjacker lift in...just need to find time to install it and order my 37s
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ran them recently, was too bad Poughkeepsie is shut down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Saw 3 on the drive home yesterday plus a transport with another 4... they still turn my head.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mine just came in today...i already own a half ton

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326156/received_392121424763216_jpeg-1005549.JPG

Bash away
View Quote
My wife's daily driver is an FJ. She's hinted over the last couple of years that she wants a truck so she can have easier/cleaner access to haul garden and large items. I told her all she has to do is say the word and the Gladiator will be delivered.

Link Posted: 9/7/2019 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I may fo if they make one with a diesel.  because fuck gas
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
They announced a few days ago the diesel will be available in 2020.  Its the same diesel in the 1500.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why does everyone want diesel? What are the advantages?
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Better torque for offroad & larger tires would be the main benefit I see in a diesel. Mileage could be better as well, but from what I've seen that generally doesn't work out to be a big difference over the lifespan of a vehicle due to increased purchase price and repair costs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Better torque for offroad & larger tires would be the main benefit I see in a diesel. Mileage could be better as well, but from what I've seen that generally doesn't work out to be a big difference over the lifespan of a vehicle due to increased purchase price and repair costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious to see the weight implications of the diesel. The one I saw had a broken front axle which the added weight may have contributed to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Curious to see the weight implications of the diesel. The one I saw had a broken front axle which the added weight may have contributed to.
View Quote
If you compare the Pentastar and EcoDiesel in the Ram 1500 the curb weight is...

EcoDiesel: 5,095 - 5,688 lbs
Pentastar: 4,524 - 5,164 lbs
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you compare the Pentastar and EcoDiesel in the Ram 1500 the curb weight is...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fairly significant
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting about the broken front axle on the diesel.  On the gasser rubicon, gross axle weight rating for the front axle is 3100 lbs and front curb weight is 2677 lbs.  If they dumped another 500 lbs of diesel in there, it was operating right at the max gross axle weight rating on that front axle.

@APPARITION Was it a broken axle shaft or broken tube/housing?
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Interesting about the broken front axle on the diesel.  On the gasser rubicon, gross axle weight rating for the front axle is 3100 lbs and front curb weight is 2677 lbs.  If they dumped another 500 lbs of diesel in there, it was operating right at the max gross axle weight rating on that front axle.

View Quote
Interesting info, thanks for that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:16:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure what it was specifically.  The wheel was not where it should be. Maybe a steering knuckle?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#36]
My adopted dad just got one. He traded in his 07 wrangler for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Can the 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overcome Its One BIG Flaw On the Muddy Hydroline Test?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Saw a brand new (still on paper plates) Gladiator the other day that was on tons, 40s and had full trail armor.
They do not look awkwardly long on 40s. I liked it.

Will keep my Tacoma but that truck got a thumbs up from me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#39]
I saw a gladiator in OBX this year.  Prior to that, had never heard of it...so their marketing certainly sucks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I finally saw one two days ago.  (and i'm a truck driver, i drive a LOT).

It looks good

i also saw a new Ford Ranger the same day

it does not look good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Saw a bunch of them in camo last year.  Have seen many on the road here since released.  Local dealer seems to be cycling through inventory quickly.  They usually have a couple in stock and the colors of them keep changing when I drive by.  This is MN.

I see quite a few Rangers too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I saw a gladiator in OBX this year.  Prior to that, had never heard of it...so their marketing certainly sucks.
View Quote
Your sample size of one means nothing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FWIW, there has been a Gladiator commercial in about every other commercial break during the NFL games I've watched today. I watched 4 of the early games, am watching another 4 of the afternoon games now. So they're definitely advertising it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Saw one yesterday,its not terrible but its not great either

Tacoma master race
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Saw one yesterday,its not terrible but its not great either

Tacoma master race
View Quote
LoL
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You miss the significance of seeing only one but hearing nothing about it on the radio, or ads on TV.   Typically,  launching a product while keeping it a secret is not very successful.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I’ve seen several out and about this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You miss the significance of seeing only one but hearing nothing about it on the radio, or ads on TV.   Typically,  launching a product while keeping it a secret is not very successful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe you aren’t their target demographic. Would you have ordered had you known?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#49]
It appears Jeep compromised off-roading ability for more stable towing.

It may not make an difference since 90% of them will be used for hauling groceries.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been meaning to drive one.  Maybe next week..
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top