BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The number one reason we keep skipping past buying my Wife something in the Wrangler lineup is the NA 6 cylinder.

It’s crazy for their prices their isn’t a turbo 6 at min. Many people who are potentially a buyer have boats, SxS etc etc and after throwing on a decent set of tires it’s even more gutless.

I have a 2500 Cummins for my personal needs but it would be nice to drop the top on our way to Windrock with the smaller trailer.  We had a friend towing a single 14ft light weight enclosed one weekend ( in 4d unlimited) and the guy could not even keep up on interstate at 75mph.

It’s almost 2020 not 1975.

I’ve owned three CJ’s and kick myself for not keeping at least one.  Seriously thinking of picking up another one just for trips around the house.

As far as the Gladiator that’s one ugly SOB but I doubt they will be a flop. I do not think they will have near the success that the unlimited has enjoyed though.  
View Quote
Have you drove one with the pentastar? Personally, I wouldn't call it gutless. IIRC, the numbers say 0-60 is similar in a JL to a 2.7l ecoboost f-150.

Trucks will always tow better than a Wrangler though, that's not a priority of it's design.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you drove one with the pentastar? Personally, I wouldn't call it gutless. IIRC, the numbers say 0-60 is similar in a JL to a 2.7l ecoboost f-150.

Trucks will always tow better than a Wrangler though, that's not a priority of it's design.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The number one reason we keep skipping past buying my Wife something in the Wrangler lineup is the NA 6 cylinder.

It’s crazy for their prices their isn’t a turbo 6 at min. Many people who are potentially a buyer have boats, SxS etc etc and after throwing on a decent set of tires it’s even more gutless.

I have a 2500 Cummins for my personal needs but it would be nice to drop the top on our way to Windrock with the smaller trailer.  We had a friend towing a single 14ft light weight enclosed one weekend ( in 4d unlimited) and the guy could not even keep up on interstate at 75mph.

It’s almost 2020 not 1975.

I’ve owned three CJ’s and kick myself for not keeping at least one.  Seriously thinking of picking up another one just for trips around the house.

As far as the Gladiator that’s one ugly SOB but I doubt they will be a flop. I do not think they will have near the success that the unlimited has enjoyed though.  

Exactly. Not many people buy a jeep to tow anything substantial.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
BTW
If you think the Gladiator is expensive I have a feeling the next words out of Fords mouth will be "Hold my Beer" once they release the Bronco.
View Quote
Bronco, yeah. I've been waiting 2 years and still not so much as a decent spy photo of the actual vehicle. Must be the best kept secret in automotive history. Ford keeps teasing it but the whole thing reminds me of the Magpul Masada hype.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bronco, yeah. I've been waiting 2 years and still not so much as a decent spy photo of the actual vehicle. Must be the best kept secret in automotive history. Ford keeps teasing it but the whole thing reminds me of the Magpul Masada hype.
View Quote
It's amazing isn't it?

This means that either it's no where close to being ready for 2020 or that every other "leaked" photo of a new design is an intentional leak.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
USAA sent me a $1,000 voucher for using their buying service to use towards buying a Jeep vehicle including the Gladiator.
The local Jeep delaer (who participates in the USAA buying service) refused to accept that voucher.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's amazing isn't it?

This means that either it's no where close to being ready for 2020 or that every other "leaked" photo of a new design is an intentional leak.
View Quote
Probably cant decide which ugly grill to put on it. Or whether not they really want to compete with wrangler and ditch IFS this time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I see that jeep is having a lease special advertised on tv for the gladiator @ $299 a month. They must not be selling well for them to discount them like that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I see that jeep is having a lease special advertised on tv for the gladiator @ $299 a month. They must not be selling well for them to discount them like that.
View Quote
They were expected to have low monthly leases due to residual value...they were advertising an even lower amount when the first came out
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I dunno, without knowing the full details of that special it's going to be hard to say they are doing it to try and blow out inventory. Most of the time those lease specials are anything but a discount when you start reading the details. Usually it assumes a base trim with a hefty downpayment and low mileage allowances. You can make the monthly payment damn near anything you want when you start playing with all the nuances of a lease.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Probably cant decide which ugly grill to put on it. Or whether not they really want to compete with wrangler and ditch IFS this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's amazing isn't it?

New 2021 raptor spy photos show rear coil springs. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Bronco is going to also be sharing in that. I’d guess it’ll get a solid front axle too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
New 2021 raptor spy photos show rear coil springs. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Bronco is going to also be sharing in that. I’d guess it’ll get a solid front axle too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's amazing isn't it?

Guess is all you can do because nobody really seems to know anything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Gladiators aren’t exactly flying off the showroom floor. We have sold more Wrangler Rubicons (the 2 doors) and 2x more of all the Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) than we have Gladiators. Heck we have 2 of the “Launch Editions” (Rubicon) and 1 used Launch (1600 miles) in stock.

Why? Most CDRJ places sold the ones they did sell for $5k over MSRP initially. You had to really really want one to pay loaded Ram 1500 Limited prices for essentially a mid size truck. I am a Jeep JL Wrangler owner (+ work for a CDJR Dealership) and honestly the Gladiators are nice but have had a bit of a mixed reaction from others in the Jeep community. If I was into “overland camping” (in a roof top tents) or towed a boat I would do one all day.

If you do go for one at all please be sure to get Max Tow package (7800 lbs tow) for goodness sake or you just bought a mid size truck that tows 3500-3850 lbs (my Wrangler JL will do 3750!) for Ram $.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Length problem solved

Jeep Gladiator Truck 2 Door Extra Cab Overland Patriot Camper with Hellcat HEMI : CODEX by Dynatrac
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Length problem solved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimCLMzcwGk
View Quote
Yep, that's how I'd want it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you do go for one at all please be sure to get Max Tow package (7800 lbs tow) for goodness sake or you just bought a mid size truck that tows 3500-3850 lbs (my Wrangler JL will do 3750!) for Ram $.
View Quote
What exactly does the Max tow add?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Length problem solved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimCLMzcwGk
Stage 3 they added 40’s and the camper got removed from the flatbed.

I’d like to see it hit some trails.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
The people complaining about the off-road compromises must be the 7 people in the US who commute to work across the Rubicon trail.

For the rest of the country, this is the best assembled factory off road pickup.

I do wonder how the towing package, which substantially raises (doubles?) the rated towing, affects off road articulation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
USAA sent me a $1,000 voucher for using their buying service to use towards buying a Jeep vehicle including the Gladiator.
The local Jeep delaer (who participates in the USAA buying service) refused to accept that voucher.
View Quote
I hope you reported that to USAA. They're signing up with USAA for the leads that the service generates, then hoping once you come in the door, you'll give up on the discounts and pay full price. USAA will terminate their affiliation in a heartbeat if they pull it again on a secret shopper or another actual customer reports the same behavior.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are probably better off buying from Dave Smith or Dennis Dillon anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gladiators aren’t exactly flying off the showroom floor. We have sold more Wrangler Rubicons (the 2 doors) and 2x more of all the Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) than we have Gladiators. Heck we have 2 of the “Launch Editions” (Rubicon) and 1 used Launch (1600 miles) in stock.

Why? Most CDRJ places sold the ones they did sell for $5k over MSRP initially. You had to really really want one to pay loaded Ram 1500 Limited prices for essentially a mid size truck. I am a Jeep JL Wrangler owner (+ work for a CDJR Dealership) and honestly the Gladiators are nice but have had a bit of a mixed reaction from others in the Jeep community. If I was into “overland camping” (in a roof top tents) or towed a boat I would do one all day.

View Quote
Sales figures for the gladiator are 40 percent of the wrangler.

They won't sell as well because of the cost and the limited production capacity.

I still need a LE badge minus the 1 of 4190.

Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#21]
People are saying the bed is tiny it's not at all, this is a m100 trailer  I'm working on cleaning up this week before a car show this weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Seems like a love or hate thing. I haven’t met anyone that’s like it ain’t bad...it’s either I want one or man that’s awful.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#23]
A two door option that is shorter overall but with a longer bed woul get my money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Take 1ft from the cab, add it to the bed. Would be perfect proportions, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
People are saying the bed is tiny it's not at all, this is a m100 trailer  I'm working on cleaning up this week before a car show this weekend.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/274692/7ED195B4-64C1-4DED-97A3-64CB508AF946_jpeg-1107594.JPG
View Quote
Sorry, but as a mid size truck owner who has had to listen to the "tiny bed" stuff for quite awhile, your 5ft bed is just as tiny as my 5ft bed. Welcome to the club.

In all honesty, I get by just fine with a 5ft bed but I have certainly found situations where having a 6ft+ bed would have been advantageous. Even just using the bed as a place to sleep while camping or hunting becomes an issue with a bed that small. You really need to know your needs ahead of time (or have a complete lack of need, like many people probably will) when purchasing this vehicle to be truly happy with a bed that size.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry, but as a mid size truck owner who has had to listen to the "tiny bed" stuff for quite awhile, your 5ft bed is just as tiny as my 5ft bed. Welcome to the club.

In all honesty, I get by just fine with a 5ft bed but I have certainly found situations where having a 6ft+ bed would have been advantageous. Even just using the bed as a place to sleep while camping or hunting becomes an issue with a bed that small. You really need to know your needs ahead of time (or have a complete lack of need, like many people probably will) when purchasing this vehicle to be truly happy with a bed that size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/274692/7ED195B4-64C1-4DED-97A3-64CB508AF946_jpeg-1107594.JPG

My new standard is it should be able to hold a dirt bike in it
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The people complaining about the off-road compromises must be the 7 people in the US who commute to work across the Rubicon trail.

For the rest of the country, this is the best assembled factory off road pickup.

I do wonder how the towing package, which substantially raises (doubles?) the rated towing, affects off road articulation.
View Quote
It’s the best equipped off-road truck no doubt. But, There is room for improvement unless you enjoy rock stacking.

If you aren’t going to use it as it should be used then you might as well save some money and get a mid or half ton truck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My new standard is it should be able to hold a dirt bike in it
View Quote
Mine holds a 80cc and a 125cc but only with the tailgate down. The 80cc can fit with the tailgate up if it is by itself and at a diagonal.

I bought a hitch carrier for the 125 as it was much easier to load that way.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Take 1ft from the cab, add it to the bed. Would be perfect proportions, IMO.
View Quote
Then all we will hear is "the bed is way too long and there is no room for anyone in the back!
They kept the cab dimensions roughly similar to the JL for production simplicity. It uses the same doors as the 4 door JL for example. The cab has more space than the Tacoma and also a 5 foot bed.
It may not be the best at towing, the best at off-road etc but it seems to do very well in all categories imo.
The diesel will have like 460 torque, I think that is easily 100 more than the Colorado diesel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like they will unveil the Bronco at the LA auto show in November
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
What year though?
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What year though?
View Quote
Damn good question.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#33]
They’re all over my AO.
SW Wa.
I kinda want one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Max tow package adds bigger cooling capacity and hitch package. Maybe lower rear gearing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is from a few days ago
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-bronco-2020-details-rumors/

Gotta admit Im really jazzed about seeing what the new bronco turns out to be. Sounds like there'll be a "baby bronco" akin to the bronco2 as well.

Still, unless it has a solid front axle and deeper than a 2.something:1 transfer case, I'll keep my jeep.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Gotta admit Im really jazzed about seeing what the new bronco turns out to be. Sounds like there'll be a "baby bronco" akin to the bronco2 as well.

Still, unless it has a solid front axle and deeper than a 2.something:1 transfer case, I'll keep my jeep.
View Quote
Jeeps are like guns, don’t sell just buy more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Saw two on the way in to work today and as I drove (well, crawled - I75 construction/traffic ) past the FCA Tech Center I noticed a huge mural on the side with the Gladiator on it, and some kind of “thanks for the greatest sales month ever” message below it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Max Tow puts lower ratio gearing (4:10) and larger shafts (44s) into it as well as firmer rear suspension. Basically it’s the inside track to get Rubicon axels into any of the Sports or Overlands. You also get a installed trailer brake and the towing setup (hitch/connectors for lights) plus a trans radiator.

The towing goes from 3500/3850 to 7800 depending on spec.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Max Tow puts lower ratio gearing (4:10) and larger shafts (44s) into it as well as firmer rear suspension. Basically it’s the inside track to get Rubicon axels into any of the Sports or Overlands. You also get a installed trailer brake and the towing setup (hitch/connectors for lights) plus a trans radiator.

The towing goes from 3500/3850 to 7800 depending on spec.
View Quote
You are missing a ton of information in your post.

For one, all the Gladiators come with Dana 44 axles front and rear.  The Max Towing package, only an option on the Sport and Sport S, adds wide track Dana 44 axles which are the same width and gearing as the Rubicon.  There is no change to shafts.  The Rubicon cannot get the towing capacity of the Sport and Sport S with the Max Tow package.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Saw my first one in the wild this weekend in Tahoe. It was 100% stock.

The Swiss co-worker that I was with thought it was a travesty of automotive design. Which it is.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.  Been hearing about the "new bronco" since the early 2000's.  
B. Picked up a Pun-Kin Gladiator yesterday :)

2018 promise of bronco
2004 Auto Show and same damn design 16 years later el o el
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A.  Been hearing about the "new bronco" since the early 2000's.  
B. Picked up a Pun-Kin Gladiator yesterday :)

2018 promise of bronco
2004 Auto Show and same damn design 16 years later el o el
View Quote
Pics?
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#43]
We’ve now seen this comparison a couple-few times in this discussion, but methinks it’s Bullshit...

Look at the approach angle of the Chevy Colorado vs. the Tacoma, and the Colorado vs. the Ranger. Measure them, don’t just look at the numbers posted. The Chevy’s 17 degrees is greater than the 35 degrees and 28 degrees of each, respectively, of the Toyota & Ford.

It’s not quite equal to the Gladiator, but the angles DON’T match the numbers posted.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Saw my first one in the wild this weekend in Tahoe. It was 100% stock.

The Swiss co-worker that I was with thought it was a travesty of automotive design. Which it is.
View Quote
Every car manufactured in Switzerland looks better.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:21:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We’ve now seen this comparison a couple-few times in this discussion, but methinks it’s Bullshit...

Look at the approach angle of the Chevy Colorado vs. the Tacoma, and the Colorado vs. the Ranger. Measure them, don’t just look at the numbers posted. The Chevy’s 17 degrees is greater than the 35 degrees and 28 degrees of each, respectively, of the Toyota & Ford.

It’s not quite equal to the Gladiator, but the angles DON’T match the numbers posted.
View Quote
The Colorado in the picture is actually a ZR2 which has a 30 degree approach angle. The rest of the Colorado trims do have a 17.whatever degree approach angle. Which doesn't really matter because anybody who plans to take a Colorado offroad should be looking at the ZR2.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No one was discussing approach angles and it was already noted previously the approach angle is for the stock Colorado.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I am in for the flop

Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am in for the flop

https://i.imgur.com/0LpcySq.jpg

View Quote
It looks Naked.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It looks Naked.
View Quote
Needs more fashionable accessories
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#50]
My flop at car show.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top