Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I would consider one if it had a 5.7 or 6.2 or 6.4 V8.  But they will never give the people what they want.

Oh, and I'm sure the Bronco will have a bullshit EcoBust engine in it also.  If, and it's a big IF it ever makes it to market.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would consider one if it had a 5.7 or 6.2 or 6.4 V8.  But they will never give the people what they want.

Oh, and I'm sure the Bronco will have a bullshit EcoBust engine in it also.  If, and it's a big IF it ever makes it to market.
View Quote
And what is it you drive now?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
2016 Tundra.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
2016 Tundra.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2016 Tundra.  
So not exactly a rocket and probably not as far off from the gladiator from a HP to weight ratio as you’d think depending on which setups you compare.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck, for $60k I could buy a nice Mercedes or BMW!
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
El........oh.........el
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
FIFY

Gonna spend a bit to get a G wagon that could do Jeep stuff
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
broken axles far from pavement?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope. A Lieutenant Dan cosplay starter kit, just get in a minor front end collision, the V8 will take care of the rest.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they came from the factory with a Hemi and tons, they wouldn't be able to keep up with the sales.

I'm still considering one with a Hemi swap in mind. I just have to sell myself on the short bed first
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If they came from the factory with a Hemi and tons, they wouldn't be able to keep up with the sales.

I'm still considering one with a Hemi swap in mind. I just have to sell myself on the short bed first
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Lite Brite said it cost about $35,000 to 40,000 for their hemi swap on their JL. Why not procharge it and save some cash? I'd think 400-450HP would be reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think Lite Brite said it cost about $35,000 to 40,000 for their hemi swap on their JL. Why not procharge it and save some cash? I'd think 400-450HP would be reasonable.
View Quote
There’s something to be said for naturally aspirated power even though I agree with you for the most part.

I think they should get back in the truck game but then being part of the Chrysler umbrella makes that unlikely. They could do a big Gladiator or even a modern M715 with power wagon guts and I think it would be awesome.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Tragic, could have had a Tacoma
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
It costs closer to $20K to do it. The higher pricing is more for LS swaps.

Edelbrock supercharger would be a cool mod and give you a great warranty.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There’s something to be said for naturally aspirated power even though I agree with you for the most part.

I think they should get back in the truck game but then being part of the Chrysler umbrella makes that unlikely. They could do a big Gladiator or even a modern M715 with power wagon guts and I think it would be awesome.
View Quote
A few years back, most dealers would have the AEV Hemi conversion as an option with full warranty.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t forget axle costs. I’ve got well over $10k in my axles and I don’t have 500HP
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don’t forget axle costs. I’ve got well over $10k in my axles and I don’t have 500HP
View Quote
I have Dynatrac XD60s sitting under my JL. Coming close to $70K so far.

If I get a Gladiator it's gonna get the XD60/80 package.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
didnt lite brite procharge their motor and blew it up hence the hemi swap?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
didnt lite brite procharge their penta and blew it up hence the hemi swap?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

didnt lite brite procharge their penta and blew it up hence the hemi swap?
Turbos
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I kind of want one, but I don't have a need for one.  Maybe if they get cheap, but that's doubtful since it's a Jeep.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haha!  That’s cute from the GD keyboard commandos.

I took my Tundra across a cornfield in AR last weekend to work on a duck blind in a slough we hunt.  Then I towed a skid steer back to my cabin to spread some gravel.

I do truck things in my truck.  What’d you do?  Lemme guess, you took you EcoBust or Chebbie to Starbucks, then Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

By the way, I have 179k miles on the odometer and the only hiccup I have had is (surprise) bad door lock actuators.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I kind of want one, but I don't have a need for one.  Maybe if they get cheap, but that's doubtful since it's a Jeep.
View Quote
I mean how cheap do you want one? i think you can get a sport S max tow, stereo, hard top, bed rail system, aux switch system, heated seats/wheel, auto for 45k msrp
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I took my Tundra across a cornfield in AR last weekend to work on a duck blind in a slough we hunt.  Then I towed a skid steer back to my cabin to spread some gravel.

I do truck things in my truck.  What’d you do?  Lemme guess, you took you EcoBust or Chebbie to Starbucks, then Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

By the way, I have 179k miles on the odometer and the only hiccup I have had is (surprise) bad door lock actuators.
View Quote
Tundra axles are some stout sob's. I wish Toyota made a solid front axle FJ car with those along with the rear.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I mean how cheap do you want one? i think you can get a sport S max tow, stereo, hard top, bed rail system, aux switch system, heated seats/wheel, auto for 45k msrp
View Quote
That's exactly the one I am looking at and considering. I can get it for $40K OTD. Then would dump $25K immediately into it
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I once pulled a 350 bushel gravity flow wagon full of shell corn with a 92 Ranger with a 4.0. What do I win?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#26]
If Hemi torque is what you seek just wait for the diesel.  260 lb-ft in the gas engine to over 400lb-ft in the diesel, should make for a fun drive.  People buy horsepower, but drive torque, especially in a trail ride.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you posted pics in the Jeep pic thread?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why so butt hurt?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Haha!  That's cute from the GD keyboard commandos.

I do truck things in my truck.  What'd you do?  Lemme guess, you took you EcoBust or Chebbie to Starbucks, then Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do truck things in my truck.  What'd you do?  Lemme guess, you took you EcoBust or Chebbie to Starbucks, then Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

You seem so angry. Maybe you should drive a Jeep and relax.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's too early to tell if it's a flop like the Ford Ranger.
View Quote
Flop? Ford will sell every Ranger they build. They just need to allow the market to adjust their admittedly overzealous pricing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
You missed his point so bad you aren't even on the same shooting range.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I fent.  18 weeks from order date...

Has 2" Mopar lift.

My comments:

Wish it had more torque.  Would have bought the diesel but I wanted a manual transmission more.
When the wind is blowing it blows me all over the road.
I'll probably get slightly larger tires when these wear.  
Love everything else.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice!! I'm looking for a Blue one...but wondering if I should wait for a diesel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#34]
If you want an auto I highly recommend getting the diesel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I doubt it will be a flop. People like keep and a Jeep truck will fit that community. Ford ranger yes, Jeep no
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Once they hit the $30k on the used market.  I'm too cheap to buy new.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/attachments/20190905_142208-jpg.31862/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/attachments/resized952019090495172858-jpg.31699/
Has 2" Mopar lift.

My comments:

Wish it had more torque.  Would have bought the diesel but I wanted a manual transmission more.
Love everything else.
View Quote
Could always sell the 285's while they are still fresh and swap in 315's.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Have you posted pics in the Jeep pic thread?
View Quote
OPSEC
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If I don’t get back into a sports car, the Gladiator will be my next purchase. I have yet to see one in the wild though
View Quote
You'll probably never see 1 off road because they people that buy them will be afraid to scratch them
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You'll probably never see 1 off road because they people that buy them will be afraid to scratch them
View Quote
You need to head over to YouTube or some Jeep forums.

They are being put thru the paces and doing well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I don’t get back into a sports car, the Gladiator will be my next purchase. I have yet to see one in the wild though

I've already seen a few on the trails.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or he could leave the mall parking lot and see what's out on the trails.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have seen them in action while in Moab
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/attachments/20190905_142208-jpg.31862/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/attachments/resized952019090495172858-jpg.31699/
Has 2" Mopar lift.

My comments:

Love everything else.
View Quote
Looks good
2" lift = 37's
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nice!! I'm looking for a Blue one...but wondering if I should wait for a diesel.
View Quote
People are just getting their blue ones delivered like 2 days ago. I'm excited to see Gator.
The diesel imo isn't worth it. It's $4k for the engine and $2k for auto (only option). It has pretty good numbers though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
People are just getting their blue ones delivered like 2 days ago. I'm excited to see Gator.
The diesel imo isn't worth it. It's $4k for the engine and $2k for auto (only option). It has pretty good numbers though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I haven't seen any evidence that there will be a transmission up charge, when there is no option for the manual. In all likelihood the upcharge will be a package upcharge for engine/transmission. The transmission itself will not be the same 8sp that is behind the 3.6 (8HP50), it will be an 8HP70 to handle the additional torque.

Aside from the fact that towing numbers are greatly reduced, the number one reason that I didn't wait on diesel is Tier motherfucking IV emissions, which has been and will continue to be a problem in those engines.

Roll the CARB standard back, and take all that shit off and I'll buy one, after they put a bigger fuel tank in it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I haven't seen any evidence that there will be a transmission up charge, when there is no option for the manual. In all likelihood the upcharge will be a package upcharge for engine/transmission. The transmission itself will not be the same 8sp that is behind the 3.6 (8HP50), it will be an 8HP70 to handle the additional torque.

Aside from the fact that towing numbers are greatly reduced, the number one reason that I didn't wait on diesel is Tier motherfucking IV emissions, which has been and will continue to be a problem in those engines.

Roll the CARB standard back, and take all that shit off and I'll buy one, after they put a bigger fuel tank in it.
View Quote
Are the tow numbers out for the diesel?
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have read the tow numbers although I doubt they are the final numbers. If I recall correctly the diesel tow numbers were pretty close to the gas/manual numbers with this being attributed to cooling. I think they are about 4500 while the gas/auto Rubicon is 7000 and Sport MaxTow/auto is 7650.

ETA : cursory search doesn't turn up anything to support that, there are a number of articles though saying tow rating will be about 500 pounds less than the gas engine/automatic
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have read the tow numbers although I doubt they are the final numbers. If I recall correctly the diesel tow numbers were pretty close to the gas/manual numbers with this being attributed to cooling. I think they are about 4500 while the gas/auto Rubicon is 7000 and Sport MaxTow/auto is 7650.

ETA : cursory search doesn't turn up anything to support that, there are a number of articles though saying tow rating will be about 500 pounds less than the gas engine/automatic
View Quote
What about the auto? I thought it would tow more.

ETA: I see your edit. Booooo
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top