Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 23
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Manufacturers cannot make a 2-door SUV profitable. Jeep only keeps the 2 doors  because of "muh heritage".

As a die hard for guy, you think Ford is going to reuse parts from the F series and pull it off? LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More Gladiators are selling right now than Broncos will sell.
Interesting prediction considering we don't really know specifics about the new Bronco.
Manufacturers cannot make a 2-door SUV profitable. Jeep only keeps the 2 doors  because of "muh heritage".

As a die hard for guy, you think Ford is going to reuse parts from the F series and pull it off? LOL
As of, (I think) 2016, 2 doors were selling just under 30% of the JK sales. I expect that's dropped a tiny bit.

When I last talked to a salesman, he told me that he couldn't give away a 2 door truck. That was before the Gladiator came out. Why in the hell would Jeep even bother with the 2 door style for the Gladiator?
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As of, (I think) 2016, 2 doors were selling just under 30% of the JK sales. I expect that's dropped a tiny bit.

When I last talked to a salesman, he told me that he couldn't give away a 2 door truck. That was before the Gladiator came out. Why in the hell would Jeep even bother with the 2 door style for the Gladiator?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting prediction considering we don't really know specifics about the new Bronco.

I can’t remember the exact words used but one of the bigwigs for this project basically said the two doors accounted for nothing and it wasn’t even worth considering for them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I can’t remember the exact words used but one of the bigwigs for this project basically said the two doors accounted for nothing and it wasn’t even worth considering for them.
View Quote
Well that jerk just lot tens of sales and most of them from Arfcom
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We went full circle from Jeep Gladiator to Astro Van.

Everyone stop swinging your dicks and admit that you’ve never driven a Rubicon off-road or up a hill that would make your boyfriend scream, therefore your vehicle expertise from articles and your comparisons to the Ranger, Tacoma, and Astro can are null and void.

The Gladiator is so far from being a Tacoma or Ranger or Astro can.

My F150 is more like a Raptor than a Gladiator is similar to any other kid sized truck on the market. Your Tacoma TRD 4x4 SLE Z71 FX4 doesn’t come close in capability.

Read all the articles you want, compare cup holders, sound systems, and steering wheel stitch patterns, then go drive the two.
View Quote
This is nonsense.

They have the same number of wheels and doors, therefore they are "roughly comparable".

Just like a Corvette Z06 and a Toyota FRS are "roughly comparable".
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#5]
WSJ had an article about SUVs and Crossovers being down in general yesterday with lots more vehicles with higher times on lot than usual.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Everyone stop swinging your dicks and admit that you’ve never driven a Rubicon off-road or up a hill that would make your boyfriend scream, therefore your vehicle expertise from articles and your comparisons to the Ranger, Tacoma, and Astro can are null and void.

My F150 is more like a Raptor than a Gladiator is similar to any other kid sized truck on the market. Your Tacoma TRD 4x4 SLE Z71 FX4 doesn’t come close in capability.

Read all the articles you want, compare cup holders, sound systems, and steering wheel stitch patterns, then go drive the two.
View Quote
Capability requirements vary and the Gladiator's price point throws it into a big pile.

Offroad worktruck?  3/4 ton would tear it apart.
Offroad race truck?  Raptor would tear it apart.
Tight trail truck?  Wrangler Rubicon would tear it apart.
Jack of all trades master of none that also seats 4 with a 5' bed? Midsize looks pretty good for a lot less coin.

My offroading is using my old Ranger like a UTV around the farm, a Gladiator would struggle due to maneuverability and short bed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won’t bother.

Ford will learn a painful lesson with the Bronco.

If an Astro can had 4 inches of lift and Fox shocks there would be a 9 page thread ranking it with TRD and Rubicon
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They won't bother.

If an Astro can had 4 inches of lift and Fox shocks there would be a 9 page thread ranking it with TRD and Rubicon
View Quote
I'm being told here that a truck with locking front a rear diffs and electronic disco sway bars is just as good as your standard 4wd Ranger.

I'm pretty sure this is the point where I suspend my disbelief, if this is the case.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Not selling because even by Jeep standards they're ugly as fuck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Will they ever come with a 2 door/larger bed option?

I'm not a jeep guy but I may consider one if that was offered.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Will they ever come with a 2 door/larger bed option?

I'm not a jeep guy but I may consider one if that was offered.
View Quote
No, never, FCA said as much.

As the current owner of a JK, there is no fucking way I would buy a vehicle with less than half of the interior room.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They won’t bother.

View Quote
I would rock a lifted astro. Used to love mobbing one around in the snow.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 2:29:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Manufacturers cannot make a 2-door SUV profitable. Jeep only keeps the 2 doors  because of “muh heritage”.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Manufacturers cannot make a 2-door SUV profitable. Jeep only keeps the 2 doors  because of “muh heritage”.

Who says the Bronco is going to be a 2 door? The only thing we've seen official from Ford is a silhouette under a sheet.

And when did I become a die hard Ford guy? I've only ever owned one. I'm very much a brand agnostic sort of guy that likes variety.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:08:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Capability requirements vary and the Gladiator's price point throws it into a big pile.

Jack of all trades master of none that also seats 4 with a 5' bed? Midsize looks pretty good for a lot less coin.

My offroading is using my old Ranger like a UTV around the farm, a Gladiator would struggle due to maneuverability and short bed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

And for another amusing observation, the Gladiator Rubicon and the Ram 2500 Power Wagon are priced almost exactly the same. AutoTrader

Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty much.

And for another amusing observation, the Gladiator Rubicon and the Ram 2500 Power Wagon are priced almost exactly the same. AutoTrader

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Is this that moment of clarity when you finally ask yourself "What is so different about these two vehicles that the same manufacturer builds both?"
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who says the Bronco is going to be a 2 door? The only thing we've seen official from Ford is a silhouette under a sheet.

And when did I become a die hard Ford guy? I've only ever owned one. I'm very much a brand agnostic sort of guy that likes variety.
View Quote
FWIW I don't see enough room under the sheet for four doors...

Rumored to be built on the next gen Ranger chassis rather than the current gen.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Is this that moment of clarity when you finally ask yourself "What is so different about these two vehicles that the same manufacturer builds both?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

My criticism this entire time has been one of value.

The little truck with the cramped interior and the passenger car V6 making 285 hp and 260 ft-lbs costs just as much as the big truck with a spacious interior, a V8 with 410 hp and 429 ft-lbs, and heavy duty everything. As a bonus, while the Gladiator has an optional winch bumper, the Power Wagon actually gets a 12k pound Warn winch from the factory that's standard for the trim. The Power Wagon also has lockers and the sway bar disconnect, but I would assume those components are beefier (and therefore more expensive) than those found on the Gladiator.

I do understand that the Power Wagon has an economy of scale advantage due to the total volume of the Ram 2500. But the pricing of the Gladiator, for what you get relative to other trucks on the market, just isn't good.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The little truck with the cramped interior and the passenger car V6 making 285 hp and 260 ft-lbs costs just as much as the big truck with a spacious interior, a V8 with 410 hp and 429 ft-lbs, and heavy duty everything. As a bonus, while the Gladiator has an optional winch bumper, the Power Wagon actually gets a 12k pound Warn winch from the factory that's standard for the trim. The Power Wagon also has lockers and the sway bar disconnect, but I would assume those components are beefier (and therefore more expensive) than those found on the Gladiator.

I do understand that the Power Wagon has an economy of scale advantage due to the total volume of the Ram 2500. But the pricing of the Gladiator, for what you get relative to other trucks on the market, just isn't good.
View Quote
For footprint the PW has a lot more girth to get around on a trail, being 3/4 ton the front wheels might not turn as tight too.

One of the reasons they make so many vehicles is different people have different requirements.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

The Power Wagon is a stock mass produced 2500 with some accessories added on.  The Gladiator is a one off vehicle line.  "Economy of scale" is literally everything in that comparison.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mine just came in today...i already own a half ton

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326156/received_392121424763216_jpeg-1005549.JPG

Bash away
View Quote
It needs 40's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Not like Jeep hasn't tried this a couple of times in the past...expecting different results this time...
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Power Wagon is a stock mass produced 2500 with some accessories added on.  The Gladiator is a one off vehicle line.  "Economy of scale" is literally everything in that comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Economy of scale is relevant, but it's not the whole story. FCA has deliberately chosen to sell the Gladiator as a high margin, low volume vehicle. They could ramp up production and tilt that scale, but they're not going to.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#23]
The two vehicles I’ve been looking at have been a TRD Pro 4Runner and the Rubicon Gladiator.  I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to personally justify the additional $10k for the jeep, even though I really like it
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.

Aaaaaannnndddd you still don't get it.

I'll quit trying to explain it to you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd buy a two door gladiator. standard one is too long.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Wheres the comanche!
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm being told here that a truck with locking front a rear diffs and electronic disco sway bars is just as good as your standard 4wd Ranger.

I'm pretty sure this is the point where I suspend my disbelief, if this is the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won't bother.

Ah but is the  standard 4wd Ranger as good as truck with locking differentials ?  NO it isn't!
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#28]
The only ones I've seen are on car carriers, and only a handful at that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I would like to replace my 4WD 2000 Dodge Dakota that has 360k miles on it. It's a 4 door short bed truck that has lockers and 32" tires. Mileage is crap (13 city, 17 highway, 15 combined). And, it's 19 years old. It doesn't owe me anything. I've used it well beyond the life I expected to get out of it years ago.

The Gladiator appears to be a worthy replacement. They seem awfully expensive to me equipped the way I would want it equipped. I'm not in a hurry so I think I'll wait and see how the diesel version turns out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Well there’s already a few going to the junk yard after the train wreck today
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well there’s already a few going to the junk yard after the train wreck today
View Quote
Ouch!

I'd be sad if my glad was on that train. I love driving this thing!

https://fox13now.com/2019/07/10/dozens-of-brand-new-cars-destroyed-in-spectacular-nevada-train-derailment/

Attachment Attached File

ETA: Looks to be a couple launch editions there...that sucks!
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#32]
chrysler != quality

i gave up on being a jeep mechanic long ago and got a truck.  that looks like the worst of both worlds.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not like Jeep hasn't tried this a couple of times in the past...expecting different results this time...
View Quote
The last real truck Jeep made was in continuous production for 25 years until Chrysler killed it off for fear of harming Ram sales after acquiring Jeep. So, not sure of your point.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#34]
I thought about stealing the early prototype one I drove today.

Seats and brakes already wore out from test miles.

Link Posted: 7/12/2019 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd kill to have a real jeep again.
Attachment Attached File

The gladiator looks like ass.

I loved my Scrambler. 1982 with 3" lift. Like the one above, but red and orange stripes and letters
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The last real truck Jeep made was in continuous production for 25 years until Chrysler killed it off for fear of harming Ram sales after acquiring Jeep. So, not sure of your point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Comanche looks like a fun little truck, pretty few and far between though.

I root for the one on TFL's videos, owning a similar '80's compact although from a different brand it is fun to watch.

Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/80601/maxresdefault_jpg-1013338.JPG

I loved my Scrambler. 1982 with 3" lift. Like the one above, but red and orange stripes and letters
I parked a CJ-5 at a car show a couple weeks ago.  It was so crude and simple... looked like it would be a blast.  Event still had a 304 in it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I root for the one on TFL's videos, owning a similar '80's compact although from a different brand it is fun to watch.

I parked a CJ-5 at a car show a couple weeks ago.  It was so crude and simple... looked like it would be a blast.  Event still had a 304 in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine was a CJ8. Bed was rusting through. I was young and didn't have the money to fix it or mess with it (I was still in high school). Dad gave it to me. Ended up just selling it to Collin's Brothers Jeep in Dallas.
Always wanted another one, but a V6, and a better lift kit
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#38]
If they put a v8 hemi in it it would be great. I’m not impressed with the current engine at all
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If they put a v8 hemi in it it would be great. I'm not impressed with the current engine at all
View Quote
That has already been addressed in multiple previous threads, and earlier in this one.

The given unofficial reason is that it would not pass crash testing.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wheres the comanche!
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That has already been addressed in multiple previous threads, and earlier in this one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they put a v8 hemi in it it would be great. I'm not impressed with the current engine at all

That’s a reason why they don’t put it in the existing platform not a reason why it couldn’t be designed in. It could be easily addressed at the manufacturer level if they wanted to. They could have rolled it in to one of the bigger updates.

My guess is it has a lot more to do with epa and projected sales.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can you still get a 2 door unlimited? I thought those were pretty damn close to scrambler sized.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's a reason why they don't put it in the existing platform not a reason why it couldn't be designed in. It could be easily addressed at the manufacturer level if they wanted to. They could have rolled it in to one of the bigger updates.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a reason why they don't put it in the existing platform not a reason why it couldn't be designed in. It could be easily addressed at the manufacturer level if they wanted to. They could have rolled it in to one of the bigger updates.

Lengthening the front end to fit the extra length would probably cause a rift in the Jeep universe.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can you still get a 2 door unlimited? I thought those were pretty damn close to scrambler sized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 door Unlimited models were 2005 and 2006, known as the LJ
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eww. get out of here with that thought.
CJ was the last of the Jeeps
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suuuuuuuuure
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bro, you don't like Jeeps and Jeeps don't like you
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't do it on any of the later or current platforms? That makes sense why I never see them. If I was to some reason buy a jeep those would be high on the list but I bought a Bronco instead
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Lengthening the front end to fit the extra length would probably cause a rift in the Jeep universe.
View Quote
They fit as-is. See Litebrite on youtube, where they are currently doing a Hemi swap.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They fit as-is. See Litebrite on youtube, where they are currently doing a Hemi swap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Fitting" is very different than "passing crash testing".

I'm familiar with several channels who have done Hemi swaps.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top