BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looking at it I can’t see any reason to select that over the Ranger or Colorado.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looking at it I can’t see any reason to select that over the Ranger or Colorado.
Not a really good comparison.

Better comparison would be a Tacoma.   The Gladiator comes with a lot of expected aftermarket support from things shared with the JL and JLU - things that go well with the strength of the vehicle.

Nobody says "I wanna go make a kickass offroad rig, I'm going to build it on the new Ranger", and the Colorado is still pretty new.

Quoted:

That's really what this comes down to.

The overwhelming majority of JKU/JLU buyers don't give a damn about solid axles or lockers or any of that other stuff. They use them like CUVs, but they want the convertible with the fun shape instead of the grey on grey egg shaped car. To get there, they are adding $5-10k to their purchase price and doubling their fuel bills.

The story will be roughly the same with the Gladiator. It's not about the Rubicon hardware. It's the convertible. And to get that convertible, people are going to pay way more for a vehicle that has significantly less space, capacity, and power.

Is the Gladiator cool? Very.

Is it a good value? Nope.
I don't think most JL/JLU/Gladiator buyers really need the solid front axle vs. IFS on a midsize pickup or SUV, but some people just prefer trucks or SUV's over cars in general.    Even many of the people that never take them off road like having the 4wd for snow, and having a 2" receiver in the back for towing something light every once and a while.

And screw fuel bills, there is more to life than saving on gas by driving an econobox.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Better comparison would be a Tacoma.   The Gladiator comes with a lot of expected aftermarket support from things shared with the JL and JLU - things that go well with the strength of the vehicle.

Nobody says "I wanna go make a kickass offroad rig, I'm going to build it on the new Ranger", and the Colorado is still pretty new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the Ram Dakota. Looks pretty much identical to the competition and with FCA build quality to boot.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 2:02:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Flop? I don't think so. I bought mine last Wednesday. Nicely optioned Sport S, OTD for $47k. Is it the cheapest 4x4 on the market? No. Is it different, and a bit cooler than the next 4x4 pickup? Absolutely. I have a Chevy 2500 that does the heavy hauling and towing, and an old Chevy pickup that I use for a beater, so why not have something nice I can put the family in and go on mild offroad stuff? I didn't get a Rubicon because I'll never use electric swaybar disconnects or trail cams, and have zero interest in spending an extra $10-15k to impress people with how much money I spend. It will tow my boat, it will do mild off-road trails as good or better than any mid-sized pickup on the market, and it doesn't look like a Ranger, or Colorado, or any other mid-sized pickup for that matter.

I think that if Jeep/FCA can get enough of them on dealer lots, advertise them properly, that they'll FLY out the door. They're priced the way they are, and many dealers are adding ADM because they can get it, there are people willing to pay it. I'm not, but there are quite a few folks that have money to throw around that will. I just wanted one ever since I saw the original concepts, and there are quite a few Jeep guys that felt the same way.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I will order one when they start building base sports, haven't opened orders for those yet.

Will sell my 17 JKU and get as base sport manual with hard top as only option. I don't want power doors in a jeep.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I DD my JKU, so in 99% of cases I'm not using the off-road capability either. However, the 1% of the time I do need that capability, I have it. It doesn't matter how small a proportion of the use is, the fact I do use that capability means a full sized truck won't work. I also have a lot of times where I have to rent or borrow a truck for various reasons or make do the the JKU. having an actual bed on the back of the JKU would have made life a whole lot easier. Having said that, I'm not in the market for a Gladiator either unless they go to a short cab configuration. The Gladiator offers enough power to do what I need, more towing than I need, more space than I need, and the comfort level is fine. I went from a 1500 to the JKU and will probably never go back to a full sized truck. They simply offer no improvement to me from a midsized truck. I know a lot of people who feel the same way, and have gone to midsized trucks to avoid the hassles of a full size.

Then there is the ability to take the top and doors off. That's not even an option with anything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, for the asking price you can get a loaded half ton or a nicely optioned 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel. Makes zero sense at that price point... It needs to be 10-15k cheaper.
Which still can't do what a Gladiator can.
But are still more capable in 99% of typical situations the vehicles will encounter. Better towing, more options, more power, more space, more comfort... They can't squeeze down tight trails or rock crawl, sure... But most people looking for that capability are already in an actual Jeep or something similarly sized, that costs less.

9/10 Gladiator drivers probably won't ever take the thing off road, making a regular full sized pickup a better option at that price point.
I DD my JKU, so in 99% of cases I'm not using the off-road capability either. However, the 1% of the time I do need that capability, I have it. It doesn't matter how small a proportion of the use is, the fact I do use that capability means a full sized truck won't work. I also have a lot of times where I have to rent or borrow a truck for various reasons or make do the the JKU. having an actual bed on the back of the JKU would have made life a whole lot easier. Having said that, I'm not in the market for a Gladiator either unless they go to a short cab configuration. The Gladiator offers enough power to do what I need, more towing than I need, more space than I need, and the comfort level is fine. I went from a 1500 to the JKU and will probably never go back to a full sized truck. They simply offer no improvement to me from a midsized truck. I know a lot of people who feel the same way, and have gone to midsized trucks to avoid the hassles of a full size.

Then there is the ability to take the top and doors off. That's not even an option with anything else.
So the question is, the 1% of offroading that you do, is the Gladiator to big? The wheel base looks long, and I am not sure if it is wider than a standard wrangler or not. I am not trying to be offensive or a douche, but am genuinely curious to what role the Gladiator plays. Is it a truck, or is it a Jeep?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honcho

View Quote
Ugly, and I bet they want 70k for that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So the question is, the 1% of offroading that you do, is the Gladiator to big? The wheel base looks long, and I am not sure if it is wider than a standard wrangler or not. I am not trying to be offensive or a douche, but am genuinely curious to what role the Gladiator plays. Is it a truck, or is it a Jeep?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, for the asking price you can get a loaded half ton or a nicely optioned 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel. Makes zero sense at that price point... It needs to be 10-15k cheaper.
But are still more capable in 99% of typical situations the vehicles will encounter. Better towing, more options, more power, more space, more comfort... They can't squeeze down tight trails or rock crawl, sure... But most people looking for that capability are already in an actual Jeep or something similarly sized, that costs less.

9/10 Gladiator drivers probably won't ever take the thing off road, making a regular full sized pickup a better option at that price point.

Gladiator is 19" longer in wheel base than JLU, so it is longer but not anywhere near as long as it looks, and not disproportionately longer than any other mid sized truck.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
form over function
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They are working on the 3 row Grand Waggoneer (Tahoe and suburban sizes) and Grand Cherokee.

There are rumors about a 5.7 or 6.4 JL too.
View Quote
They have said the hemi will fit, but won’t pass crash safety tests. They are not going to redesign it just for that, so no it’s not coming.  But it will be a popular aftermarket swap.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
form over function
View Quote
The videos I’ve seen on YouTube say it’s actually pretty darn capable.

I do wonder, will people Jeep Wave at you in a Gladiator or is that reserved for the Wrangler master race...?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They have said the hemi will fit, but won’t pass crash safety tests. They are not going to redesign it just for that, so no it’s not coming.  But it will be a popular aftermarket swap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are working on the 3 row Grand Waggoneer (Tahoe and suburban sizes) and Grand Cherokee.

There are rumors about a 5.7 or 6.4 JL too.
I’ve seen the 3 row mule about... It’s not exactly awesome.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Sadly, the last Mid size I bought new will likely be the last one I will ever buy new. Prices have gotten too high to reasonably justify getting one even though I could easily pay cash for it.

In 2015 I bought a decently loaded out DCTRDOR for 33.5K OTD including tax, title, and registration.[which was right at 2K]

I'd rather drive around on the road in a cheap light convertible car then a porky Jeep pickup, which, as nice as it may be off road, doesn't really do the road cruising with the top off thing very well.

Chief Dan George had it right, it's just for lookin at.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why does the Tacoma still have drum brakes? No idea. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I kinda forgot about that. I agree with you on the pricing of Jeeps in general they are too expensive for what you get. I know I’m in the minority though as they sell like hot cakes. Maybe I’m just too poor. I don’t know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why does the tacoma still have drum brakes?

Why would anyone care about safety sensors stuff if you're driving a vehicle with a removable roof and doors, that's why there are mirrors.  On my LJ theres a big sticker that says the roof and doors are only to shelter you from the elements.

My biggest issue with the jeep pricing other than I wish it was 10k cheaper, is the auto transmission is a $2000 option on all trims whereas on a Toyota it's like $500 and of course the $1500 destination charge
Why does the Tacoma still have drum brakes? No idea. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I kinda forgot about that. I agree with you on the pricing of Jeeps in general they are too expensive for what you get. I know I’m in the minority though as they sell like hot cakes. Maybe I’m just too poor. I don’t know.
Because they work for the type of vehicle they are on and stop a whole lot better then you think they do. Plus E brakes are a piece of cake compared to E brakes on discs. You really don't see to much bitching about them from people who actually own them long term other then ''but they aren't ''disc brakes.''

Where they fail is on heat dissipation when you are braking hard multiple times, disc brakes have a significant advantage there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Curious criticism. Under what conditions? On a track? On the interstate at 80mph? Or around town and off road as designed? A car they are certainly not but I've owned 4 including a CJ7, 2 JKU and Most recently a 2016 JK Rubi. Considering their design and intent I thought they drove pretty damn well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never understood people's infatuation with Jeeps, they drive like shit.
Curious criticism. Under what conditions? On a track? On the interstate at 80mph? Or around town and off road as designed? A car they are certainly not but I've owned 4 including a CJ7, 2 JKU and Most recently a 2016 JK Rubi. Considering their design and intent I thought they drove pretty damn well.
No, they really don't.

Now if you compare them to old Jeeps, hell yes they drive and ride better. But.......that's about it on the road. You can't really do a whole lot due to the unsprung weight of the front axle nor the center of gravity.

I'll give Jeep credit, they have done a pretty good job with what they had to work with physics wise.

I think they did a quite good job making them look ''Jeepy'' other then the stupid ''stick out of the sides'' tail lights. One tight trail and they are toast.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Saw a Red Gladiator as I was driving into Wall South Dakota yesterday.
It had Dealer Plates on it, not from around here.

When the Gladiator was first announced and info was available to read about
the Gladiator I thought they were neat and cool.

Our Jeep Dealer was going to get 3 in, and have a Test Drive Weekend.
That was a month ago.  I see the White one and Silver one is still sitting
there.

I lost interest.  When I went to ask about price, I was really turned off.

For the $60K price it's not worth it, I could buy a very well equipped 4x4
Full Size Pickup, which is better suited up here in Farm/Ranch Country,
and driving the Long Distances here in South Dakota.

I think they will not last.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a truck that has the added benefits from the JKU platform like sold front axle, massive aftermarket support etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Gladiator is 19" longer in wheel base than JLU, so it is longer but not anywhere near as long as it looks, and not disproportionately longer than any other mid sized truck.
View Quote
It is an inch shorter wheelbase than my supercab shortbox F-150.  5" shorter overall.

Gladiator is 10" longer wheelbase than say a Supercab 5' bed Ranger... which has the same cab/bed config.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The appeal of it is that it is a good bit of both. It doesn’t have to and isn’t expected to excel in either role. It does Jeep stuff better than a typical truck and truck stuff better than a typical Jeep. It allows people want most of the functionality of a Jeep and most of the utility of a truck to have their cake and eat it, too, without having to buy, insure, maintain and find space to park 2 separate vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, they really don't.

Now if you compare them to old Jeeps, hell yes they drive and ride better. But.......that's about it on the road. You can't really do a whole lot due to the unsprung weight of the front axle nor the center of gravity.

I'll give Jeep credit, they have done a pretty good job with what they had to work with physics wise.

I think they did a quite good job making them look ''Jeepy'' other then the stupid ''stick out of the sides'' tail lights. One tight trail and they are toast.
View Quote
Compared to the half tons of the same vintage I was driving, the JK wasn't noticably worse, and the JL is an improvement over that.

As for the tail light, that was due to the blind spot monitoring IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Compared to the half tons of the same vintage I was driving, the JK wasn't noticably worse, and the JL is an improvement over that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they really don't.

Does everybody else's pickup tail-lights do the same thing?  Most seem to be at the latch handle area.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The appeal of it is that it is a good bit of both. It doesn’t have to and isn’t expected to excel in either role. It does Jeep stuff better than a typical truck and truck stuff better than a typical Jeep. It allows people want most of the functionality of a Jeep and most of the utility of a truck to have their cake and eat it, too, without having to buy, insure, maintain and find space to park 2 separate vehicles.
View Quote
Exactly. It should be a bit less agile on the trails, but the width shouldn't be an issue. Lots of trails around here are of an almost standard Jeep width. Full sized trucks just don't fit.

I would also say it's just as good as any other midsize truck at doing truck stuff, they definitely went further into truck territory with the design.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does everybody else's pickup tail-lights do the same thing?  Most seem to be at the latch handle area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they really don't.

The doors come off, so they had to put them somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they really don't.

Gotcha. Where are the side mirrors then if not on the doors. [they are, I looked]

Passenger side doesn't look like it's required but the driver side is. I THINK both are if the drivers mirror is obscured.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gotcha. Where are the side mirrors then if not on the doors. [they are, I looked]

Passenger side doesn't look like it's required but the driver side is. I THINK both are if the drivers mirror is obscured.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they really don't.

There are relocation kits available if you want to use stock mirrors and there is an audible warning in case they're off.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are relocation kits available if you want to use stock mirrors and there is an audible warning in case they're off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they really don't.

Gotcha, you would think though, that on a vehicle that they tout as having removable doors, they would find a way to relocate the mirrors elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Gotcha, you would think though, that on a vehicle that they tout as having removable doors, they would find a way to relocate the mirrors elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they really don't.

Yeah, that would be nice. I think there are some regulations that come into play that prevents them from being mounted on the cowl.  On the other hand, there are a ton of options available from the aftermarket. In a lot of cases Jeep just leaves it up to the user to decide what they want to do rather than adding expense coming up with a solution to something that may not even be a problem for most users. Every mounting solution I've seen has some drawbacks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because they work for the type of vehicle they are on and stop a whole lot better then you think they do. Plus E brakes are a piece of cake compared to E brakes on discs. You really don't see to much bitching about them from people who actually own them long term other then ''but they aren't ''disc brakes.''

Where they fail is on heat dissipation when you are braking hard multiple times, disc brakes have a significant advantage there.
View Quote
I do wonder if they respond better for traction control type systems.

The last year or two Rangers got 4 wheel disk brakes when stability control came out.  Seems like a lot of expense for a model soon to go out of production.  The new Ranger's Trail Control (Crawl Control equivalent) is much quieter than Toyota's.  I wonder if the disk brakes have something to do with it.

My '85 Ranger had drums, has disks now.  General driving I don't notice much difference but I don't have ABS/TC.  If they run cooler I am fine with it, I am happy to not have adjusters to fight with when I pull a drum off and a bunch of springs to deal with... and the caliper will also hold the wheel on should I break an axleshaft offroad (on a 31 spline 8.8 that is unlikely but still...)

Competition is good, it already finally got you guys power seats and LED headlights, it might drag your braking system into the 21st century too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
shit ive seen three 5.7 swapped JLs already. I work in the industry though
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So now it IS about the unique features that make a Jeep a Jeep, are you going to show me that "roughly comparable" half ton convertible for $10K less money?

Of course you aren't , it doesn't exist, but instead of saying that, you just keep changing direction and dodging the fact that there is nothing else on the American market with the feature set that the Gladiator has.

When a product has no competition, the price is ALWAYS higher and there will always be people seeking that exclusivity whether on the new or used market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the poor people in here complaining about the price is entertaining.
When the price is something like $10k more than a roughly comparably equipped V8 crew cab half ton sold on the same lot, it's a legitimate criticism.

The Gladiator might be the coolest thing Chrysler has made in my lifetime, but if I was going to spend my actual money on a FCA lot for some reason, I'd get the 5th gen Ram 1500.

That said, the Gladiator is intended to be low volume high margin vehicle.
Which half ton can you get with locker, dis connectable sway bar, removable roof and door, folding windshield,front and rear cameras, winch capable bumper a 5' bed and a 7000/7650 pound towing capacity for 10K less than a Gladiator exactly?

Or by "roughly comparable" do you mean 4 wheels and 4 doors?

LOL, the only thing even remotely close capability wise is a ZR2 Bison, which tows less (despite muh deezil), has none of the removable features, and the visiblity from them absolutely sucks, and there is much less than a $10k spread there .
A lot of what you mention isn't equipped on the Gladiator until you check a shitload of options boxes starting with the Rubicon trim. A 5' bed and a 7k pound towing capacity is lower than probably every half ton on the market.

Compare the other three trims of the Gladiator to half tons, and you still have a much more expensive vehicle that pretty much only gets you removable panels. That's not even getting into the Gladiator's modest power...
Front camera is a $495 option, steel winch capable bumper is a $695 option, ZF 8sp is a $2000 option on a $44k truck (Rubicon MSRP) everything else there is standard.

You can't GET that on any half ton truck at any price much less for $10k less money.

You're talking out of your ass.

Like it, don't like it, Gladiator is unique in the market and has no competitors that offer the features that it has. Will people USE those features? Doesn't matter, they're still there.

The average ARFCOM Marvin Mulchhauler is probably better served with a Tacoma or a Ridgeline, but there is a market for what the Gladiator offers and today nobody even comes close.
That $2k ZF 8HP transmission is standard on all Ram 1500s.

What options/features people will actually use is entirely relevant. Only a very small minority of these vehicles will go anywhere where things like the sway bar disconnects and lockers will be useful. For the overwhelming majority of people who do/will own these things, they're just buying a pickup truck with a fun shape, bright colors, and removable panels, and they will only really be driven in places any other 4x4 pickup can go.

I've said multiple times the Gladiator is the coolest thing Chrysler has produced in my lifetime, but when you look at the pricing of it and compare that to the discounts and incentives on Big 3 half tons, the value just isn't there.
I pointed out that the automatic is a $2k option for the sake of transparency as it relates to cost .

So, yes absolutely all you have to do is discount all of the features that entail a Gladiator Rubicon (or any Jeep Rubicon for that matter) as meaningless fluff that nobody uses so they should be free, and suddenly your nonsense about "roughly comparable" makes perfect sense, LOL. You need to check your CO monitor , I think the batteries have died.

So again, for the sake of clarity, tell me what half ton pick up there is on the market with the features/capabilities of a Gladiator Rubicon for $10k less money?

No more dancing around the subject, which trucks are they? Showroom stock.

I'll help you out, because I shopped like a motherfucker for one, because I really really really want and can use more towing ability for what is a very specific purpose.

It doesn't exist.

The closest thing is a Raptor and it is $10k more money, and is a much bigger truck with a dismal approach and departure angle, and no better break over angle.
You're the one specifying Rubicons here.

You're talking about a specific configuration that will only be bought and used as designed by a very small percentage of overall Gladiator owners. I'm talking about the full model line. The Gladiator Sport, Sport S, and Overland don't have the offroad features you're screeching about.

Here is an Autotrader search for the DFW area. I queried for Gladiators and Ram 1500s, and I checked the boxes for 4x4, crew cab, and automatic transmission: Autotrader Link

The majority of the Sport and Sport S Gladiators have asking prices in the mid $40k range, and the Overlands are mostly over $50k. With the Ram 1500, there are a bunch of options well under $40k, and by the time you get into the mid-40s, there are Laramies and Rebels that are much better equipped than the similarly priced Gladiator Sports.

The Rubicon is a great option for the 5% or so of Gladiator owners that will actually take it through challenging terrain. For everyone else who buys one, it might be cool, but it's not a good value.
4x4, automatic, crew cab

SAME THING!

LOL, you're either too thick to understand, or refuse to accept that there is no "roughly comparable" vehicle for sale today in the American market.

Show me the convertible one.
Show me the one with a folding windshield
Show me the one with easily detachable doors.

Are you going to tell me that 2 of those three features are not VERY commonly used?

A Rubicon can be bought for the prices you are quoting for an Overland. Incidentally a Rubicon is only about $3500 more than an Overland.

People buy Rubicon whether they are going to actually use it or not because they hold their value much better than lower model Jeeps (which hold their value very well also).
That's really what this comes down to.

The overwhelming majority of JKU/JLU buyers don't give a damn about solid axles or lockers or any of that other stuff. They use them like CUVs, but they want the convertible with the fun shape instead of the grey on grey egg shaped car. To get there, they are adding $5-10k to their purchase price and doubling their fuel bills.

The story will be roughly the same with the Gladiator. It's not about the Rubicon hardware. It's the convertible. And to get that convertible, people are going to pay way more for a vehicle that has significantly less space, capacity, and power.

Is the Gladiator cool? Very.

Is it a good value? Nope.
So now it IS about the unique features that make a Jeep a Jeep, are you going to show me that "roughly comparable" half ton convertible for $10K less money?

Of course you aren't , it doesn't exist, but instead of saying that, you just keep changing direction and dodging the fact that there is nothing else on the American market with the feature set that the Gladiator has.

When a product has no competition, the price is ALWAYS higher and there will always be people seeking that exclusivity whether on the new or used market.
Have you always struggled to see the forest for the trees?

"Roughly comparable" means just that. They aren't 100% the same, but they aren't that different, either. If someone were to make a Venn diagram comparing a Gladiator to any other truck on the market, it would be almost an eclipse. They have a hell of a lot more in common than they have to set them apart. (People do cross-shop midsizers and half-tons, and not only will the Gladiator be subject to that, but it's hefty size and price tag make that all the more likely.)  Gladiators are being bought by the same sort of people who buy other crew cab midsize and half ton trucks, and those people will be using the Gladiator the same way the other trucks are being used. Gladiators are going to be used for commuting, taking kids to school, hardware store runs, landscaping stuff, and hauling power equipment around, just like any other truck. Occasionally, those things might happen with the doors off, but that doesn't make a radical difference to the vehicle or how it is used.

Claiming it's unique and special and that it "has no competition" when it has a 87%+ overlap in function with a dozen other vehicles is a joke.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’ve never understood people’s infatuation with Jeeps, they drive like shit.
View Quote
Bet you formed that opinion having ridden in a leaf sprung YJ. Anything on leafspring feels like shit compared to coil spring suspension, whether thats full size truck or jeep. The TJ, JK and JL are the most comfortable riding jeeps ever.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bet you formed that opinion having ridden in a leaf sprung YJ. Anything on leafspring feels like shit compared to coil spring suspension, whether thats full size truck or jeep. The TJ, JK and JL are the most comfortable riding jeeps ever.
View Quote
That doesn't really mean much because they probably still don't ride anywhere close to a "normal" SUV.

If you are seeking a nice riding SUV a Wrangler ain't it.  They are far better offroad than a normal SUV though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gladiators are being bought by the same sort of people who buy other crew cab midsize and half ton trucks,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Gladiators are being bought by the same sort of people who buy other crew cab midsize and half ton trucks,
They are being bought by existing Jeep owners or people desiring the offroad performance that a Jeep offers but who also want most of the utility of a truck.

Claiming it's unique and special and that it "has no competition" when it has a 87%+ overlap in function with a dozen other vehicles is a joke.
A minivan has about 87% overlap in function with crew cab midsize and half ton trucks, too. It’s that last bit that makes the difference and people are willing to pay for. The same difference that sets the Gladiator apart from typical midsize and half ton trucks, too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They are being bought by existing Jeep owners or people desiring the offroad performance that a Jeep offers but who also want most of the utility of a truck.

A minivan has about 87% overlap in function with crew cab midsize and half ton trucks, too. It’s that last bit that makes the difference and people are willing to pay for. The same difference that sets the Gladiator apart from typical midsize and half ton trucks, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minivans can't haul shit without wrecking the interior, they can't really tow, and most don't have any flavor of AWD/4x4, so no, that's not even pretending to be a good comparison.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It is an inch shorter wheelbase than my supercab shortbox F-150.  5" shorter overall.

Gladiator is 10" longer wheelbase than say a Supercab 5' bed Ranger... which has the same cab/bed config.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of your 4 door Ranger that an adult can sit in the back seat of?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

shit ive seen three 5.7 swapped JLs already. I work in the industry though
View Quote
Who wouldn’t want one assuming you got that kind of play money?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Have you always struggled to see the forest for the trees?

"Roughly comparable" means just that. They aren't 100% the same, but they aren't that different, either. If someone were to make a Venn diagram comparing a Gladiator to any other truck on the market, it would be almost an eclipse. They have a hell of a lot more in common than they have to set them apart. (People do cross-shop midsizers and half-tons, and not only will the Gladiator be subject to that, but it's hefty size and price tag make that all the more likely.)  Gladiators are being bought by the same sort of people who buy other crew cab midsize and half ton trucks, and those people will be using the Gladiator the same way the other trucks are being used. Gladiators are going to be used for commuting, taking kids to school, hardware store runs, landscaping stuff, and hauling power equipment around, just like any other truck. Occasionally, those things might happen with the doors off, but that doesn't make a radical difference to the vehicle or how it is used.

View Quote
LOL, here let me help you with your diagram

Does it have a removable roof? Yes/No?

Diagram over

In your world
Does it have 4 wheels Y/N

If yes, same thing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
At 6'3" and the front seat set for me I didn't find the back seat too cramped in a new one.

My Ranger is only a 2dr and has NO back seat though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly, I have an 09 4x4 Tacoma DC LB with 145K miles on it and still have the factory original rear brake drum & pads. I am the original owner. I don't tow trailers with it. It has never failed to stop and can lock those brakes up in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Minivans can't haul shit without wrecking the interior, they can't really tow, and most don't have any flavor of AWD/4x4, so no, that's not even pretending to be a good comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS, it’s a GREAT comparison. Especially considering how most midsize and half ton trucks actually get used. Minivans can haul all kinds of things without wrecking the interior. Lumber, appliances, furniture, large boxes, building supplies, etc. And if needed, a tarp can be used for even additional protection. The only things where a pickup would really be superior are bulk commodities like dirt, crushed rock, stone, etc. Many minivans do offer AWD and can tow what the average midsize or half ton truck owner is going to tow, too. They really are about the most utilitarian vehicle available. But, they don’t have the rugged outdoorsy image that midsize and and half ton trucks do and therefore aren’t perceived as “cool”. Seems I recall you once bragging about how great your Astro van was? But muh F-onefiddy!
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think they’re cool looking and would pay around 35k for a rubicon since that’s what you can get a TRD Tacoma or 4Runner for. Wouldn’t pay 10k more for a Jeep. For 45 grand in getting an F150 Lariat or a used Land Cruiser.
View Quote

MSRP for both of those vehicles START at $33k for the truck and over $38k for the 4runner.

The MSRP for the Gladiator starts at $35k...

Your bizzare logic and mental gymnastics is interesting to see.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
At 6'3" and the front seat set for me I didn't find the back seat too cramped in a new one.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4865/46900802901_fda9061e07_c.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL @6'6" I couldn't even get in the front of one
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL with kid in front and seat all the way forward.  Nice try, you must be a salesman.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
BS, it’s a GREAT comparison. Especially considering how most midsize and half ton trucks actually get used. Minivans can haul all kinds of things without wrecking the interior. Lumber, appliances, furniture, large boxes, building supplies, etc. And if needed, a tarp can be used for even additional protection. The only things where a pickup would really be superior are bulk commodities like dirt, crushed rock, stone, etc. Many minivans do offer AWD and can tow what the average midsize or half ton truck owner is going to tow, too. They really are about the most utilitarian vehicle available. But, they don’t have the rugged outdoorsy image that midsize and and half ton trucks do and therefore aren’t perceived as “cool”. Seems I recall you once bragging about how great your Astro van was? But muh F-onefiddy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love vans. I've owned two Astros, and there's a high probability I'll own one or more vans in the future. Whether that happens to be something like a mainstream minivan or something more like a Transit will depend on the circumstances at the time.

I'm pretty well aware of the strengths and weaknesses involved. There are large things that vans can carry without issue while also keeping them out of the elements and secure. The flip side is, there absolutely are things that seem guaranteed to scuff or stain the interior. That's not even mentioning fumes and smells. A lot of what I hauled in mine was stuff I wouldn't have carried in a newer, nicer vehicle.

When you start talking about lumber, furniture, or anything over 4' long, vans very quickly become two passenger vehicles. Crew cab trucks can carry those same items with 5 people in the cab.

The Astro was discontinued in 2005. The only AWD van I'm aware of on the US market after that is the Sienna. Those are rare, and they necessitate run flat tires because the drive shaft eliminates the spare. If you don't want that, you're looking at big bucks on a Quigley conversion. Supposedly, AWD variants of the Chrysler Pacifica and the Ford Transit will be offered soon.

The Astro was rated to tow up to 5,700 pounds because it was a body on frame, truck based vehicle, but I would have been very hesitant to put that much weight behind it. I don't think the drivetrain or the chassis are up to that task for more than short trips. The Sienna and Odyssey are only rated to 3,500 lbs. That's approaching "why bother" territory, and I'd be worried about the longevity of the transverse drivetrain under that kind of workload. So, no, I wouldn't really bank on a minivan being able to tow much, either.

Unless something changes in my life, a CCSB pickup will be a better fit for what I do day to day, so if I could only have one vehicle, that would be it. But I am starting to give serious thought to having a van as my second vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That doesn't really mean much because they probably still don't ride anywhere close to a "normal" SUV.

If you are seeking a nice riding SUV a Wrangler ain't it.  They are far better offroad than a normal SUV though.
View Quote
And thats where wrangler splits the difference. They're definately lighter than the typical SUV so the ride is different. But for the most part TJ and up drive great, especially the 4dr versions where your getting into that SUV territory. Ive driven Broncos, k5 Blazers and Suburbans. They're heavy compared to my old 2dr jeeps. My current JKU however is on par IMHO. But I do agree nice riding SUVs are different, however having driven those heavier SUVs I really dont notice a difference between them and JKU excpt maybe at speed on bumpy hwys. However they're just as stable and comfortable as felt from the seat. Add another 500-800lbs and that would smooth those bumpy hwys out......but then you'd have a heavy SUV thats mediocre off road.

Ive ridden in a JY and those things bounce on a bumpy hwy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A hell of a lot more practical than buying two different vehicles to do what someone needs to do.
View Quote
Exactly!
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#47]
see a couple sitting at the dealership but none on the road. seems pretty expensive for a Jeep
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

LOL with kid in front and seat all the way forward.  Nice try, you must be a salesman.
View Quote
I did not even notice there was a kid up there lol.  It was at an autoshow thing in Omaha.  He didn't move the seat on me, reference the console it is still back quite a bit.

Ain't selling nothin', I just admire from afar as they are out of my budget.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Interesting prediction considering we don't really know specifics about the new Bronco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More Gladiators are selling right now than Broncos will sell.
Interesting prediction considering we don't really know specifics about the new Bronco.
Manufacturers cannot make a 2-door SUV profitable. Jeep only keeps the 2 doors  because of “muh heritage”.

As a die hard for guy, you think Ford is going to reuse parts from the F series and pull it off? LOL
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#50]
We went full circle from Jeep Gladiator to Astro Van.

Everyone stop swinging your dicks and admit that you’ve never driven a Rubicon off-road or up a hill that would make your boyfriend scream, therefore your vehicle expertise from articles and your comparisons to the Ranger, Tacoma, and Astro can are null and void.

The Gladiator is so far from being a Tacoma or Ranger or Astro can.

My F150 is more like a Raptor than a Gladiator is similar to any other kid sized truck on the market. Your Tacoma TRD 4x4 SLE Z71 FX4 doesn’t come close in capability.

Read all the articles you want, compare cup holders, sound systems, and steering wheel stitch patterns, then go drive the two.
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top