User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If Toyota could sell 'em here, they would.  Nobody would actually buy one because they're tiny, underpowered, and uncomfortable.

I see 'em all the time.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278546/CAC3056E-66B7-48AB-BABB-9196ED3DE7DE_jpe-1286645.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh look another GD I wish we could buy a genuine hilux micro pickup thread.
Current Hilux is roughly the same size as our Tacoma.

As far as older 'luxes, I am covered. Got 3 sitting here (the USDM "truck" from the 80s is basically the same)
If Toyota could sell 'em here, they would.  Nobody would actually buy one because they're tiny, underpowered, and uncomfortable.

I see 'em all the time.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/278546/CAC3056E-66B7-48AB-BABB-9196ED3DE7DE_jpe-1286645.JPG
Interestingly, Mexico gets the US market Tacoma and the world market Hilux. I wonder what sales numbers are like between the two.

I see Hiluxes pretty often as well. This guy was on a jobsite I was working on.

Attachment Attached File

And these two older pickups are part of my motley little collection of junk.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That price point is completely unrealistic.

Developing, tooling, and starting up production for a new platform costs millions and millions of dollars, and few people would actually buy that.

Look for the cheapest new Nissan Frontier you can find. That’s a really basic vehicle that has had all of the startup costs paid off since the Bush Administration. That’s the floor. Any new BOF vehicle, no matter how small or basic, will cost at least that much.
View Quote
No, I don't think it's not completely unrealistic at all.

You could make a small C channel frame based subcompact pickup and stick cabs(single or double) on top cheap. It doesn't have to rock the world with fully boxed frame, every tech package and offroad accouterments, costing thousands more(even though they could make one as a model if successful). If you mass market it in third world countries against stalwarts like Hilux or Triton for cheaper because its smaller with slightly higher upscale designed interior, but in the States as a lowscale entry it could bring cost of investment down globally.

Hyundai is successful in India basically because they started offering better than their normal standards to break out there. Take that brand recognition there, launch a small pickup which has enormous potential for growth because it fits their market, couple it with a strategy in Africa, South America, and hell even Europe with better interiors. There is a global market for small pickups and that includes here, but every automaker right now has vested interests in super large pickups with even larger profit margins. They are incentivized NOT to make a smaller pickup which will eat into their larger pickup sales. Hyundai has this missing from their portfolio and they could compete against Toyota/Daihatsu(which I think is always their marker for which they judge themselves against to surpass). I wholly believe Hyundai Motor Group could do it if they wanted to as a strategy to break into a pickup market better than their attempt like the Santa Fe Ridgeline ripoff. They are missing the boat with the ability to steal sales from the manufacturers who are invested in the large pickup market and from people who don't need or want large pickups, fleet sales, etc but still see that the midsize pickups as ripoffs when the large pickups are just a few thousand more.

Again you price something below a Frontier, slightly higher than a Rio, and you will see sales from one of the two key demographics: middle class suburban families who can afford a cheap third vehicle(for dad going to Lowes or for Junior's first vehicle) or lower class working families who need that vehicle for work, but cannot afford large trucks(maintenance, fuel costs, insurance, etc).

It's what Toyota did with huge success but lost their way with the Tacoma growing in size, Nissan did they same and it has grown marginally in size but consistent in sales(they are stagnant because Ghosn was all about cost cutting, sales volume using old platforms as long as possible), Honda has been meandering with their Ridgeline sales because they didn't build the reputation around "truck" which people here often point out and scoff at(while it's a decent vehicle for it's intended purposes). Ford and Chevy used to build actual small pickups but they are too far invested into large trucks they will never offer a true small pickup.(But Ford woke up and is making a Focus based one to keep costs down). Dodge went midsize truck before anyone else with their Dakota.

People who bought Tacomas are more likely to buy Tundras and most people who bought Titans were Frontier owners. You hook them in low, prove that they can be good enough, and then grow from there. That's a profitable, long term strategy which Hyundai is in position to do with their growth strategies. It would position them to make a large pickup that could give all of them a run for their money.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's the real irony of today's "small trucks."   The price difference between similarly equipped F150 and a new Ranger is such that it seems goofy to spend up to 90% of the cost of a big truck to purchase a little one.
View Quote
Shit, i went to buy a Ranger and similarly spec f150 was 2k cheaper due to manf. Incentives. There was zero reason to get the Ranger except if I wanted the smaller footprint.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
^ have you ever driven a $13k new vehicle?

They are not typically good enough at anything.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
truck pricing for base capabilities it too compressed.

4x4 ranger and 15 are mid to high 30s...

i can spec a f250 4x4 supercab that will tow 20000 lb or so for 43K.... which is actually a good bit cheaper then specing a max tow 150 as far as i can tell.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
^ have you ever driven a $13k new vehicle?

They are not typically good enough at anything.
View Quote
Yes, I have. Rental for a day. They don't have to do anything good but work. Hence why they sell in rental fleets and why lower class people buy them. There is a market for it and it's huge.

Also, isn't that the definition of character of a truck should be?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You must have a small ass garage. Guy across the street parks his Silverado 2500hd with long bed quad cab in his garage. And that's an apartment garage.
View Quote
My 1964 F100 barely fits in my 1962 attached garage.

Older houses weren't designed to park a garbage truck inside.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
2020 ranger  211? L x 78? W x 71-72? H 3,922 to 4,441 lbs

1995 f150 222 L x 79 W x 75 H. 3,925 to 4,307 lbs

Seems pretty close to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These damn threads.

No, today's midsize trucks aren't "pretty much" the size of any half ton truck made in the last ~60 years. The only overlap is ride height. Don't believe me? Let's think about this...

Since the 1960s or so, half ton trucks have been wide enough that (non Walmart sized) adults could sit three wide on one bench with reasonable comfort. The transmission tunnel or floor mounted shifters might have been a problem, but hip room and shoulder room were not. Try that in a modern midsizer like the Tacoma or Ranger and let us know how that works out.

Maybe we should also consider that, before the introduction of the 10th gen F-150 and the Super Duty, 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, and 1 tons all had the same body. Frames, suspension, drivetrains, and other components were different, but the bodies were not. Those engine bays were big enough to accommodate large inline 6s, big block V8s, and diesels with room to spare. In some cases, mechanics could sit on the fender with their legs in the engine bay. Midsize trucks? Not even close.

Bed space isn't remotely comparable, either.

The reality is, there was enough white space between half ton trucks and the old compact trucks for there to be an opportunity for midsize trucks. The midsize truck segment took over, and the market abandoned the compact segment.

Outside of cheap little FWD pickups for use by delivery fleets, I don't think there's a market for compact trucks anymore. Consumers are migrating by the million from traditional passenger sedans to taller, more spacious CUVs. How many people really want to roll around on America's interstates at 70+ MPH in a beer can with a bed while surrounded by the aforementioned CUVs?

Which configurations are those, and do either of those width numbers include mirrors?

We had an OBS F-150 in my family until last year, and I checked out the Ranger when they came out. The real world difference is gigantic.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Probably more safety standards then anything.

All those airbags, crumple zones and tech take up space and add weight.

I have an 80s Toyota pickup and a 2010 Tacoma. Looking at the two of them parked side by side you can really see all the bulk that government creates.
That bulk may very well save your life in a bad crash but it is there nonetheless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no “small” truck sold in the US anymore.  The dimensions of the current smaller trucks are pretty much what 1/2 tons were 20 years ago.

Small trucks were popular when they had small prices.  By the time the Tacoma was created, the price was already matching 1/2 tons.  It was a hard sell, and so they became 1/2 tons.
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that changes in the emissions standards created a set of rules for small trucks that made them uneconomical or untenable to manufacture and sell.
Probably more safety standards then anything.

All those airbags, crumple zones and tech take up space and add weight.

I have an 80s Toyota pickup and a 2010 Tacoma. Looking at the two of them parked side by side you can really see all the bulk that government creates.
That bulk may very well save your life in a bad crash but it is there nonetheless.
Another factor I think are child car seats. You need a lot of room for these, especially for the rear facing configuration. Young families and grandparents pretty much need a large quad cab to haul 2-3 kids.

When I bought a truck in 2015 for retirement it became obvious if I wanted to be able to transport my wife and a couple of grandkids we needed a full size truck with quad cab.

And as you stated, after you add other safety engineering, EPA, etc the size and cost are way beyond the 1980s small truck. In the 80s I had a 1980 Toyota truck (only one size then!) that was pretty handy. Didn’t use it for heavy loads just small fishing boat trailer, tool hauling, hiking trailheads. Just 4-cylinder, 4-speed manual, regular cab but I believe it was rated as 1/2 ton.

At that time in my life it was great. But later it was too small for hauling gravel, firewood or kids. My 2500 Ram now can easily haul 2,500lbs and for shorter distances 3,000 lbs which is a full yard of basalt rock. Of course a small truck with a utility trailer can do the same, so.... But grandkids’ parents insist they ride in car seats instead of banging around in the bed like when I was a kid :D. Actually after seeing a pickup get hit and rolled on the freeway I am a big believer in no kids in the bed when in the road or going more than 5mph in a field.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Those tiny trucks were tiny because you would die in more collisions. They were not even in the same galaxy as modern trucks in terms of safety.

Tacoma, Ridgeline, Canyon, Colorado, and Ranger are still nicely sized and significantly smaller than their full size pairings. This is just another case of people resisting positive change because they were used to something else. Not all change is bad. Maybe many years from now we'll have better materials and engineering prowess to at the very least increase hauling space, towing capacity, and general room inside newest vehicles without sacrificing external size.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Honestly I think the thing that most people miss about the minitruck era was the ability to access the bed without having to climb in it.

For people who actually used their truck for hauling (general light homeowner stuff), a simple bed height and width where you can reach in and grab what you need is great to have.  No, it won't tow your gooseneck trailer, nor be appropriate for deep swamp bogging, nor be able to haul rail road ties well, nor add inches to your dick... but for the average diy home improvement/garden guy an easily accessible bed is great to have.  With my ever-increasing crummy knees, I don't want to climb and rappel like a damn 20 year old ninja to get a bag of compost.  Ymmv of course.
View Quote
I was honestly shocked at how much more convenient the bed of my 64 4x2 F100 is compared to current gen Colorados and Rangers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Those tiny trucks were tiny because you would die in more collisions. They were not even in the same galaxy as modern trucks in terms of safety.

Tacoma, Ridgeline, Canyon, Colorado, and Ranger are still nicely sized and significantly smaller than their full size pairings. This is just another case of people resisting positive change because they were used to something else. Not all change is bad. Maybe many years from now we'll have better materials and engineering prowess to at the very least increase hauling space, towing capacity, and general room inside newest vehicles without sacrificing external size.
View Quote
Yes the almighty NTHSA knows best and will force you to drive in a crappy looking huge bubble with zero visibility.

Onward comrade to progress!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Trucks are too danm big

I want a truck the size of a danm forte, but no

All I need or want is a 5 foot bed, 2 doors and a 2L engine
View Quote
Buy a kei truck wierdo.
660cc 3 cylinder Suzuki fury.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just saw a commercial for the Ranger. It was advertised at $43-$45 thousand. FUCK THAT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford ranger, chevy colorado?
Just saw a commercial for the Ranger. It was advertised at $43-$45 thousand. FUCK THAT.
That’s for a loaded Lariat.

Why does GD always pick the most expensive model, and then act like it costs that much to own said vehicle?

ETA: This is what happens when you start piling options on. If you do it to a full size, expect it to cost $70,000.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Hopefully.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes the almighty NTHSA knows best and will force you to drive in a crappy looking huge bubble with zero visibility.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be fair, being able to do a side by side comparison between an 80s toyota pickup and a newer Tacoma is pretty eye opening (I own some of each).
The really old trucks are deathtraps TBH. Roof that barely holds itself up, paper thin doors, no airbags, you are the crumple zone.
Also watched one flip over in front of me one day. Super low speed, low energy rollover (clipped a divider while making a left and just toppled over). Roof was crushed flat to the tops of the doors. Driver was uninjured (he ducked) but scary to see.
Doesn't prevent me from owning and driving mine but it something to think abt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Trucks that size all over the streets in Australia.  The work truck of the average tradie is the size of the early 90's Toyota trucks with a much better designed bed storage system than anything you find here in the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Trucks that size all over the streets in Australia.  The work truck of the average tradie is the size of the early 90's Toyota trucks with a much better designed bed storage system than anything you find here in the US.
Bring back the El Camino!!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To be fair, being able to do a side by side comparison between an 80s toyota pickup and a newer Tacoma is pretty eye opening (I own some of each).
The really old trucks are deathtraps TBH. Roof that barely holds itself up, paper thin doors, no airbags, you are the crumple zone.
Also watched one flip over in front of me one day. Super low speed, low energy rollover (clipped a divider while making a left and just toppled over). Roof was crushed flat to the tops of the doors. Driver was uninjured (he ducked) but scary to see.
View Quote
True, but I think the 90's were the good mix of safety improving while not at the expense of form. If we could put today's engines into 90's safety requirements, it would be GTG.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

True, but I think the 90's were the good mix of safety improving while not at the expense of form. If we could put today's engines into 90's safety requirements, it would be GTG.
View Quote
73-87 Chevy half ton.
6.0 LQ4/LQ9
Perfect truck

No nanny state bullshit.
Real steel body.

Traction, stability control and 87 air bags can be shoved right up the politicians ass that decided we needed those.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
90's safety was still appalling yet with the added expense and complexity of 90's car safety standards. It was spec sheet safety.  They were better, but not much and not nearly as safe as the following generations.

Did they even do small offset or rollover testing for them?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes it's dead. People want bigger vehicles, and government safety standards have regulated them out of existence.
View Quote
This.

The required standards made it impossible for them to be small and cost-effective simultaneously.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

73-87 Chevy half ton.
6.0 LQ4/LQ9
Perfect truck

No nanny state bullshit.
Real steel body.

Traction, stability control and 87 air bags can be shoved right up the politicians ass that decided we needed those.
View Quote
To fit the theme of this thread

Make GMC Syclone Again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There is a lot of truth to this.
During the heyday of the minitruck era, most manufacturers produced two distinct models of the same truck.
The 2wd versions often had different chassis with a lower ride height and smaller wheels then their 4x4 counterparts.

The last company that still did that was Toyota and they stopped in 2016 when they revamped the Tacoma. Now they are all 4x4 ride height.
View Quote
Quoted:

I think you hit the nail on the head. My old Mazda 1600 and 2000 pickups would allow you to reach just about anything in the bed, and I am a short guy. The old Rangers are higher, but still doable. The bed height on new F-150's, etc. are absurd.
View Quote
Given that trucks have gone full retard with their bed height, my next "work" truck will have to be a flatbed with removable rails.  Hope I can still find one as a single cab

I think the real reason crew cab work trucks are popular now isn't necessarily because of multiple passengers, it's because having such a high bed wall makes utilizing the damn thing such a pita that a back seat is now the default storage area.  No Suzie Soccermom wants to actually climb into a 5' high bed for groceries
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#25]
My last truck was a 2004 Dakota with the 4.7L V8 and a 5-speed.

It was the last year before they screwed it up. Great truck and a ton of fun to drive. So many burnouts so little time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Honestly I think the thing that most people miss about the minitruck era was the ability to access the bed without having to climb in it.

For people who actually used their truck for hauling (general light homeowner stuff), a simple bed height and width where you can reach in and grab what you need is great to have.  No, it won't tow your gooseneck trailer, nor be appropriate for deep swamp bogging, nor be able to haul rail road ties well, nor add inches to your dick... but for the average diy home improvement/garden guy an easily accessible bed is great to have.  With my ever-increasing crummy knees, I don't want to climb and rappel like a damn 20 year old ninja to get a bag of compost.  Ymmv of course.
View Quote
For light homeowner stuff, a small utility trailer does all of that better, including hauling railroad ties.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, the sweet spot for Toyota trucks was the 95-05 Tacoma (1st gen).
Power and safety of the new stuff, build quality closer to the old trucks then the new stuff. And not riddled with tech.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Given that trucks have gone full retard with their bed height, my next "work" truck will have to be a flatbed with removable rails.  Hope I can still find one as a single cab

I think the real reason crew cab work trucks are popular now isn't necessarily because of multiple passengers, it's because having such a high bed wall makes utilizing the damn thing such a pita that a back seat is now the default storage area.  No Suzie Soccermom wants to actually climb into a 5' high bed for groceries
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a lot of truth to this.
During the heyday of the minitruck era, most manufacturers produced two distinct models of the same truck.
The 2wd versions often had different chassis with a lower ride height and smaller wheels then their 4x4 counterparts.

The last company that still did that was Toyota and they stopped in 2016 when they revamped the Tacoma. Now they are all 4x4 ride height.
Quoted:

I think you hit the nail on the head. My old Mazda 1600 and 2000 pickups would allow you to reach just about anything in the bed, and I am a short guy. The old Rangers are higher, but still doable. The bed height on new F-150's, etc. are absurd.

One of my fleet is a doublecab and yeah, I could see that.
I use the back seats as a space to haul stuff more then I do the bed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're probably one of those employees who flips their shit every single time you're told to do something different.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

90's safety was still appalling yet with the added expense and complexity of 90's car safety standards. It was spec sheet safety.  They were better, but not much and not nearly as safe as the following generations.

Did they even do small offset or rollover testing for them?
View Quote
Meh.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

For light homeowner stuff, a small utility trailer does all of that better, including hauling railroad ties.
View Quote
But then you have to store it and have it with you when you go to get stuff.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're probably one of those employees who flips their shit every single time you're told to do something different.
View Quote
Nope.

Just hate to see how much power the NTHSA has in inflating car prices and making vehicles ugly. You get a recipe for the biggest contrast:

Camaros all the way up to the early 2000's all around great visibility
New Camaro's, can't see shit past the front windshield. (probably causing crashes, now there is tech which adds even more money through side lane departure warning systems. They had to add thousands dollars more because they have to build vehicles you can't see out of LOL)

Couple it with the EPA and CAFE insanity and you get the reason why so many cars are ridiculously priced.

Don't be butthurt because you side with socialism, central government power and it's consequences. Here is a bitter pill they will never swallow from all the government regulators supporters:  You cannot prevent all deaths on the roads. You are causing more harm in the economy and people's lives because of your intentions to protect.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Which configurations are those, and do either of those width numbers include mirrors?

We had an OBS F-150 in my family until last year, and I checked out the Ranger when they came out. The real world difference is gigantic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These damn threads.

No, today's midsize trucks aren't "pretty much" the size of any half ton truck made in the last ~60 years. The only overlap is ride height. Don't believe me? Let's think about this...

Since the 1960s or so, half ton trucks have been wide enough that (non Walmart sized) adults could sit three wide on one bench with reasonable comfort. The transmission tunnel or floor mounted shifters might have been a problem, but hip room and shoulder room were not. Try that in a modern midsizer like the Tacoma or Ranger and let us know how that works out.

Maybe we should also consider that, before the introduction of the 10th gen F-150 and the Super Duty, 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, and 1 tons all had the same body. Frames, suspension, drivetrains, and other components were different, but the bodies were not. Those engine bays were big enough to accommodate large inline 6s, big block V8s, and diesels with room to spare. In some cases, mechanics could sit on the fender with their legs in the engine bay. Midsize trucks? Not even close.

The reality is, there was enough white space between half ton trucks and the old compact trucks for there to be an opportunity for midsize trucks. The midsize truck segment took over, and the market abandoned the compact segment.

Outside of cheap little FWD pickups for use by delivery fleets, I don't think there's a market for compact trucks anymore. Consumers are migrating by the million from traditional passenger sedans to taller, more spacious CUVs. How many people really want to roll around on America's interstates at 70+ MPH in a beer can with a bed while surrounded by the aforementioned CUVs?

His Ranger numbers include mirrors and a rear bumper; his F150 numbers include neither. Comparing extended cab short bed trucks, a 2020 Ranger is a foot shorter and 6 inches narrower than an F150 of the early 90s.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe one day they'll combine the utility of a trailer with a vehicle.  They can call it (i dunno just spitballin' here)... a truck.  Huh, I might be onto something here.

Only in a clown world would someone need to buy a trailer to haul stuff with a truck.  But in the age of unusable bed height, yes... it's unfortunately needed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

His Ranger numbers include mirrors and a rear bumper; his F150 numbers include neither. Comparing extended cab short bed trucks, a 2020 Ranger is a foot shorter and 6 inches narrower than an F150 of the early 90s.
View Quote
Can you even buy a single cab ranger anymore?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Can you even buy a single cab ranger anymore?
View Quote
You can't buy any mid size truck with a single cab any more, which is why I'm comparing extended cabs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is exactly right.  I have a shortbed Tacoma.  I seldom haul anything the truck won't haul but in those rare circumstances, I hook up the utility trailer and I'm good.  I have the utility trailer to haul my ATV on, but it has come in handy for a bunch of other stuff too.

My last truck had a bed cap on it with a sleep platform and such.  I always used the trailer to haul stuff so I wouldn't get the bed dirty.  It was more like an SUV or camper than a pickup.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These damn threads.

Im not sure of the configuration, or the mirrors. But if your size comparison has dwindled down to the mirrors we should go all in and let the air out of the rangers tires before we measure the height.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You can't buy any mid size truck with a single cab any more, which is why I'm comparing extended cabs.
View Quote
That's what I figured. For someone who doesn't need the extra cab space and doesn't feel like driving around in a dump truck a single cab makes more sense. In that case they're comparing a standard cab F150 to an extended cab Ranger.

What's the difference in size between those two?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#40]
My brother rolled three 1980's Toyota pickups. He was ejected every time. The cab was always flat with the top of the doors. My favorite was the 1987 Turbo 4x4.  I also miss the pre-airbag steering wheels.

However there days I'd like to see a Subaru Crosstrek 2 door with a bed and locking center differential.

I own a Nissan Titan and a Toyota Prius both base models and they do thier job just fine. Both purchased new.

In the end the only opinion that matters are those of new car buyers. Manufacturers don't care what the 3rd owner wants in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are many modern tiny vehicles that are very safe.
Like say BMW 1. and 3. series, Merc`s A,B and C-class, new Mini etc.

But because of all that tech, gadgets and comfort options (that the consumers take for granted) these small trucks would be quite expensive.
And then the consumer would still choose a bigger truck for just slightly bigger monthly payment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Average american can't fit in a small truck.

Most trucks are purchased to supplement the owners ego.  Small trucks dont help low self esteem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These damn threads.

I just dug a little deeper, that ranger width of 78 is mirrors folded, extended is 85. The f150 is w/o mirrors (in):79.0

And thats pretty much the same size, as we said from the beginning.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:02:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
73-87 Chevy half ton.
6.0 LQ4/LQ9
Perfect truck

No nanny state bullshit.
Real steel body.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

73-87 Chevy half ton.
6.0 LQ4/LQ9
Perfect truck

No nanny state bullshit.
Real steel body.

And 12mpg but great acceleration. Four barrels of aerated fuel gushing into those cylinders.

I had a 1973. Fun, fun truck.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#46]
There is virtually no market any more for a factory built puny low ground clearance 2wd pickup that is all about being cheap and practical and not cool.

Brodozers are now the way
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's what I figured. For someone who doesn't need the extra cab space and doesn't feel like driving around in a dump truck a single cab makes more sense. In that case they're comparing a standard cab F150 to an extended cab Ranger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The regular cab short bed F150 is shorter than the modern Ranger. Of course, the F150 is also shorter than an extended cab early 90s Ranger. Step up to an 8 foot bed on the F150 (because the kind of guy who likes a regular cab is all about muh plywood) and the Rangers are shorter again.

Quoted:

Im not sure of the configuration, or the mirrors. But if your size comparison has dwindled down to the mirrors we should go all in and let the air out of the rangers tires before we measure the height.
It's a foot shorter and six inches narrower. Again, the modern Ranger is closer in size to the third gen Ranger than it is to the early 90s F150.

Quoted:

I just dug a little deeper, that ranger width of 78 is mirrors folded, extended is 85. The f150 is w/o mirrors (in):79.0

The Ranger without mirrors is 73 inches, or about the same width as a Honda Accord. Is a Honda Accord pretty much the same width as an old F150? No, obviously not.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bring back the El Camino!!  
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The regular cab short bed F150 is shorter than the modern Ranger. Of course, the F150 is also shorter than an extended cab early 90s Ranger. Step up to an 8 foot bed on the F150 (because the kind of guy who likes a regular cab is all about muh plywood) and the Rangers are shorter again.

It's a foot shorter and six inches narrower. Again, the modern Ranger is closer in size to the third gen Ranger than it is to the early 90s F150.

The Ranger without mirrors is 73 inches, or about the same width as a Honda Accord. Is a Honda Accord pretty much the same width as an old F150? No, obviously not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they're nearly identical weight, with just a foot shorter and six inches narrower difference between a full and a mid size truck. Maybe I live in Bizarro world but that's pretty much the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So they're nearly identical weight, with just a foot shorter and six inches narrower difference between a full and a mid size truck. Maybe I live in Bizarro world but that's pretty much the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

People complained the the JK jeep was too wide compared to the TJ. but in reality it is only 4" wider.

But in the real world 6" better in a lot of parking lots.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top