Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]

I really wish we could get the ranger raptor here...
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First gen looked fine.
Second gen looks like someone spilled water all over the plans and the edges bled into some kind of smoothed-over design.

Kharn
View Quote
From what I have been told the 5cy engine was a good one.  I like the more squared look of the 1st gen Colorado/Canyon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my half ton truck, but I keep an eye on the FB market place for an old 2wd nissan or Toyota sb rc manual truck for something to bomb around in for shits and giggles.

Modern half tons are amazingly capable compared to what they were 20 or 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/XCY6nMg/ford-ranger-raptor.jpg

View Quote
Everyone would just complain that it's so expensive that you may as well just get an F150 Raptor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
This whole crash test standards and vehicle safety mandates needs to be changed from a requirement to a recommendation.

I drive a motorcycle in a state without helmet laws. I know the risks, and I make that informed decision to be a motorcyclist. Edit: I DO use a helmet 100% of the time.

Same should apply to 4 wheeled transportation. Manufactures should have to provide full safety info at time of purchase but the choice should still be up to the customer not some .gov chair warmer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a mid 90's, extended cab 4.0 V6 auto Ford Ranger.  Drove the piss out of that thing, and it required it to do things far outside of it's pay grade.  Never let me down...even hauling a vastly overloaded u-haul trailer up the grade into Barstow, during a MO-CA move.  I really really liked that little truck.

That said, it also taught me that I'd buy a full-size next time.  Lower capacity/hauling than an F150, but the 16-18mpg of the 4.0 V6 was essentially the same mileage.  Parking would be easier with the smaller truck, but aside from that, not much reason to go with the smaller one, IMO.  Then again, unlike lots of small truck owners (it seems), I used mine beyond what it was intended for, not below.

Prior to the above truck, I had a (same mid-90's body style) Ranger.  4cyl, 5 speed, regular cab.  That thing was GUTLESS.  Absolutely gutless.  So gutless that I ran the piss out of it trying to get to speed, which also killed the fuel economy.

That being said, I concur that the current mid-size trucks are the same size as the full size trucks of the past.  Take a 98 K2500 vs a new full size 3/4 ton Chevy, and the new truck is just a behemoth.  Of course, the the capabilities of the new truck are light years ahead, as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some people spend most of their driving time getting in accidents it seems by the huge concern over crash testing and safety that always comes up in these discussions. People are much more concerned these days about that stuff which is fine I suppose.
Vehicle crash safety isn't even considered when I look at a vehicle, maybe because I spent my youth roaming unrestrained in 60's-80's vehicles or being taken to the baby sitter on the back of my dads motorcycle rather being locked into a 5 point harness surrounded by air bags 24/7.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the almighty NTHSA knows best and will force you to drive in a crappy looking huge bubble with zero visibility.

Onward comrade to progress!
Some people spend most of their driving time getting in accidents it seems by the huge concern over crash testing and safety that always comes up in these discussions. People are much more concerned these days about that stuff which is fine I suppose.
Vehicle crash safety isn't even considered when I look at a vehicle, maybe because I spent my youth roaming unrestrained in 60's-80's vehicles or being taken to the baby sitter on the back of my dads motorcycle rather being locked into a 5 point harness surrounded by air bags 24/7.
Millions of people spend their lives doing third world shit and manage to not die and eventually reproduce.

I'd rather not take unnecessary chances.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@Bassgasm and anybody else who was talking about truck sizes.

A couple guys at my old job had mid 90's Chevy full size trucks. A couple more had 2010ish Chevy full size trucks. One guy had a 2nd gen Colorado. I had my 1st gen Canyon.

Parking my Canyon next to the newer Colorado the newer Colorado was clearly the bigger vehicle, but overall they were close.

Parking my Canyon next to the newer Chevy full sized trucks the FS trucks were clearly the bigger vehicle, and it wasn't even close.

Parking my Canyon next to the older FS trucks the FS trucks were clearly the bigger vehicle, but it was close.

When the newer Colorado parked next to the older FS trucks that is exactly when it becane very very hard to tell which truck was bigger. Guys can spit out googled dimensions all they want but when you see them next to each other it's very hard to quantify the size difference, and that's coming from somebody who dealt with measuring shit all day long.

There was also a guy with a 64 Chevy truck but nobody parked next to him...
View Quote
The shapes and proportions of newer trucks are completely different than those of older trucks. The eyeball test is misleading. Bust out the tape measure and see what you find.

For reference, a couple years ago, I played around with a tape measure, a 1985 F-150 single cab 2WD, and a 2014 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4. I didn't write anything down, so I don't remember the exact numbers. What I do remember is that the interior width was pretty much the same, but the 2014's tailgate was something like 4" higher which made a surprising difference when loading and unloading.

Again, it used to be fairly normal for three adults to sit on the bench in old school, single cab pickups, and that could be done without feeling packed in. Midsize trucks don't have nearly that much interior space.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I just pulled dimensions from 1990s era f-150s to today

In similar config Today’s average 12” longer.  6” wider.  And 6” taller
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The shapes and proportions of newer trucks are completely different than those of older trucks. The eyeball test is misleading. Bust out the tape measure and see what you find.

For reference, a couple years ago, I played around with a tape measure, a 1985 F-150 single cab 2WD, and a 2014 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4. I didn't write anything down, so I don't remember the exact numbers. What I do remember is that the interior width was pretty much the same, but the 2014's tailgate was something like 4" higher which made a surprising difference when loading and unloading.

Again, it used to be fairly normal for three adults to sit on the bench in old school, single cab pickups, and that could be done without feeling packed in. Midsize trucks don't have nearly that much interior space.
View Quote
Newer vehicles make MUCH better use of space. Not sure what you consider old school, but even driving by myself in my F100 is cramped from the complete lack of legroom. Haven't tried stuffing 3 people in it yet, but it's definitely not what I'd call roomy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a 2016 Canyon, drove it for a year and traded it in on an F150.  Too damn small and uncomfortable.  Why anyone would want a truck to be smaller than that will always baffle me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/XCY6nMg/ford-ranger-raptor.jpg

View Quote
Where did the bed go?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I only know 3 men who have bought small trucks in the past 2-3 years.

all of them were over 70 years old.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#15]
The small trucks now are the size of the mid-size of the '90s, and the mid-size are the size of the old 1/2 tons.

I would L O V E a new replica of the first gen -80 Toyota 4x4 with a modern 2 liter turbo engine and a 6 speed transmission.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#17]
FWIW I purchased a gen 1 Tacoma within the last 12 months.  It’s a toy, but a working toy.  I am pretty sure I have more invested in aftermarket work that I paid for it.  I am pretty much within 10k of a stripped new Tacoma - but then I would want to put almost all the mods on it as well.

I thought the Ranger Raptor was announced for US in 2020.  I did a little research on it, but something turned me off - probably either it will not be offered in extend cab or it has a bobbed bed if not short cab.  I hate trucks with sub 6’ beds. (Which was one of the single largest reasons I went with the Gen 1 Tacoma.  I now have a 6’ flatbed on it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:09:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Lots of smaller van type vehicles have picked up the much of the small pick-up market.

If you really need a pick-up, you probably really need and will get a bigger one.  If not, an enclosed van type will probably work on the smaller end.

That said, I've had a IH Scout, Tahoe, 3/4 ton extended cab 4x4, BIG station wagon, original Subaru 4x4 wagon.  Presently without a p/u.  Will probably get a Colorado, as it fits the desire/need for a least asmall pick-up bed, but no need to help others move or haul a bunch of Scouts and gear, big trailer, etc.  If I really need a pick-up to haul big  or heavy things from the materials place, big dump run, etc, U-Haul will be my friend.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Bassgasm and anybody else who was talking about truck sizes.

A couple guys at my old job had mid 90's Chevy full size trucks. A couple more had 2010ish Chevy full size trucks. One guy had a 2nd gen Colorado. I had my 1st gen Canyon.

Parking my Canyon next to the newer Colorado the newer Colorado was clearly the bigger vehicle, but overall they were close.

Parking my Canyon next to the newer Chevy full sized trucks the FS trucks were clearly the bigger vehicle, and it wasn't even close.

Parking my Canyon next to the older FS trucks the FS trucks were clearly the bigger vehicle, but it was close.

When the newer Colorado parked next to the older FS trucks that is exactly when it becane very very hard to tell which truck was bigger. Guys can spit out googled dimensions all they want but when you see them next to each other it's very hard to quantify the size difference, and that's coming from somebody who dealt with measuring shit all day long.

There was also a guy with a 64 Chevy truck but nobody parked next to him...

Boxy with or without rounded edges? That's their shape

Like I said... This is coming from a guy who literally spent 10 hours a day, for years, clipping a tape measure off and onto a tool belt and taking measurements from a fraction of a inch up to 50 feet. Often with the ability to eyeball a measurement to an absurdly accurate degree, and I look at those trucks side by side and my brain finds it hard to quantify the difference in size.

You can't expect the average person to look at them in real life and not come away with the idea that they are VERY similar in external size.

Now, interior wise you're right. Mid size trucks are cramped. The answer is in your post. New trucks interior width is matching the old trucks, yet the new trucks are clearly larger on the outside. I know that you know why that is. It applies to the midsize trucks as well. Modern construction on a mid size truck means their interior space won't match the interior space of a 90's full size. Shit, if Nissan tried to build a similar external dimension Sentra to the 91 that I had it would have to have seats setup like the cockpit of a fighter jet. That thing was like a rolling metal & plastic eggshell.

FWIW, I often found the Ranger and S10 to be uncomfortably narrow. I hated being shoulder to shoulder with the person next to me. My 1st gen Canyon is still cramped compared to a full size but it's better than those old S10's and Rangers, so their interiors aren't that bad unless you're a massive guy. I prefer the narrower interior of my Canyon vs the cavernous interior of my FIL's F150. Don't get me wrong, the F150 is comfy, it just feels like your sitting in a apartment living room.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Newer vehicles make MUCH better use of space. Not sure what you consider old school, but even driving by myself in my F100 is cramped from the complete lack of legroom. Haven't tried stuffing 3 people in it yet, but it's definitely not what I'd call roomy.
View Quote
In HS we would do 3 across a bench no problem. Plenty of room. 70's and 80's Ford's. We would even do 5 or 6 people in the cab occasionally. Not comfy but doable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:19:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I drive a motorcycle in a state without helmet laws.
View Quote
How does one drive a motorcycle?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#22]
This is Arfcom - where we drag the horse back uphill and do it all again!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:48:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Boxy with or without rounded edges? That's their shape

Like I said... This is coming from a guy who literally spent 10 hours a day, for years, clipping a tape measure off and onto a tool belt and taking measurements from a fraction of a inch up to 50 feet. Often with the ability to eyeball a measurement to an absurdly accurate degree, and I look at those trucks side by side and my brain finds it hard to quantify the difference in size.

You can't expect the average person to look at them in real life and not come away with the idea that they are VERY similar in external size.

Now, interior wise you're right. Mid size trucks are cramped. The answer is in your post. New trucks interior width is matching the old trucks, yet the new trucks are clearly larger on the outside. I know that you know why that is. It applies to the midsize trucks as well. Modern construction on a mid size truck means their interior space won't match the interior space of a 90's full size. Shit, if Nissan tried to build a similar external dimension Sentra to the 91 that I had it would have to have seats setup like the cockpit of a fighter jet. That thing was like a rolling metal & plastic eggshell.

FWIW, I often found the Ranger and S10 to be uncomfortably narrow. I hated being shoulder to shoulder with the person next to me. My 1st gen Canyon is still cramped compared to a full size but it's better than those old S10's and Rangers, so their interiors aren't that bad unless you're a massive guy. I prefer the narrower interior of my Canyon vs the cavernous interior of my FIL's F150. Don't get me wrong, the F150 is comfy, it just feels like your sitting in a apartment living room.
View Quote
New Chevys are slightly wider on the outside than old Chevys (2 inches), but new Fords and Rams are the same width as old ones. Full size trucks have been just under 80 inches wide for decades because that's the legal limit on width. The fact that new ones look massive compared to old ones is evidence of what Bassgasm is trying to tell you: that new trucks (both full and mid size) are specifically styled to look huge and give the impression of mass. As one example, the grills and bumpers of new trucks are much taller than the grills and bumpers of old ones. That tricks your eye into thinking the truck itself is much bigger.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:58:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

New Chevys are slightly wider on the outside than old Chevys (2 inches), but new Fords and Rams are the same width as old ones. Full size trucks have been just under 80 inches wide for decades because that's the legal limit on width. The fact that new ones look massive compared to old ones is evidence of what Bassgasm is trying to tell you: that new trucks (both full and mid size) are specifically styled to look huge and give the impression of mass. As one example, the grills and bumpers of new trucks are much taller than the grills and bumpers of old ones. That tricks your eye into thinking the truck itself is much bigger.
View Quote
I'm aware of the styling, and of the limits they're bound to.

I'm simply pointing out that a fairly well calibrated eyeball has difficulty in seeing that difference in size and that acting like the average joe is crazy for thinking they're comparable in size is ridiculous. If Google and tape measures didn't exist then nobody would disagree with the statement.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

In HS we would do 3 across a bench no problem. Plenty of room. 70's and 80's Ford's. We would even do 5 or 6 people in the cab occasionally. Not comfy but doable.
View Quote
High school kids are willing to put up with a lot of shit that adults won't.

We would stuff 8 people into a 77 LTD II. Doesn't mean the car was but for it, just means that it was possible and that we really wanted to bring those chicks with us.

Not sure how much more leg room the later trucks had, but my 64 has none. I look like a monkey fucking a football driving that thing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

High school kids are willing to put up with a lot of shit that adults won't.

We would stuff 8 people into a 77 LTD II. Doesn't mean the car was but for it, just means that it was possible and that we really wanted to bring those chicks with us.

Not sure how much more leg room the later trucks had, but my 64 has none. I look like a monkey fucking a football driving that thing.
View Quote
Oh yeah, I know they will

My main point was 3 across was just fine. Even worked fine with parents & such.

Not great for 1000 mile road trip but we'd do 4 hours up north to deer camp every year without a problem.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I sat in a Ford Ranger Raptor over the weekend. It was nice; but I would rather have the Toyota Hilux...

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#28]
My extend cab Tacoma has a 122” wheelbase, Is 70” wide and 204” long.  Current production “access cab”  has a 127.5” wheelbase, is 75” wide, and is 212” long.  5” longer wheelbase and width, and 8” longer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FWIW I purchased a gen 1 Tacoma within the last 12 months.  It’s a toy, but a working toy.  I am pretty sure I have more invested in aftermarket work that I paid for it.  I am pretty much within 10k of a stripped new Tacoma - but then I would want to put almost all the mods on it as well.

I thought the Ranger Raptor was announced for US in 2020.  I did a little research on it, but something turned me off - probably either it will not be offered in extend cab or it has a bobbed bed if not short cab.  I hate trucks with sub 6’ beds. (Which was one of the single largest reasons I went with the Gen 1 Tacoma.  I now have a 6’ flatbed on it.
View Quote
That sounds awesome got any pics? I always thought there should have been a 6.5’ or 7’ bed option.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I sat in a Ford Ranger Raptor over the weekend. It was nice; but I would rather have the Toyota Hilux...

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/6JO7G/s1/ford-ranger-raptor-lead.jpg

Accountant
View Quote
@Accountant30339

What drivetrain?

Have they released pricing yet?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@Accountant30339

What drivetrain?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/6JO7G/s1/ford-ranger-raptor-lead.jpg

Accountant
@Accountant30339

What drivetrain?

My guess is it wasn’t in this country
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Why is the squirrel pounding his ass?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#33]
It is a work in process, so I am avoiding posting many pictures.  Somehow I lost the front skid plate (assume it disappeared either when the bumper was installed, or on the trail shortly after I picked it up.  So I have another sitting in the garage, but will install it AFTER the next oil change.  I have been waiting on replacing the rear leaf springs until most of the other work is done so I can get accurate weights.  I still need to consider dealing with under bed storage boxes.

So far I have put on an grill guard bumper, winch, shocks, uniaballUCA, and aluminum flatbed (with wood side rails).

That said, it has made a great feed truck this winter.  It is still light enough I can skim over the top of the muck without sticking myself to the axles (btdt).  I started hating going in the gate last winter with my F250.  I was just waiting to slide sideways into the 4” cemented and welded in steel pipes.  Of course I also fixed that particular mud bog once it dried out last summer - but the bogs were I feed are not as easily fixed.

Anyway last picture of it on my phone was just after the shocks installed.  I think it is sagging 1-2” in the rear right now, maybe another 1” when the feeder is full (was empty with the lid missing in that picture).

The shocks were a fun waste of money - but I can fly down the cow paths faster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@Accountant30339

What drivetrain?

View Quote
@m6z

The Ranger Raptor was not in the USA.

Accountant
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My '97 extended cab Ranger 2wd, 2.3L, 5-spd XLT would get 27-28mpg on the highway with A/C on. Low 20s around town. Nothing can touch that anymore.
View Quote
Sure, but could it get out of its own way?

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Honda Ridgeline?  Chevy killed the Avalanche.  Dodge Dakota was a joke, unreliable and horrible mileage.
View Quote
That's not a truck, it's an Odessy with a bed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honda Ridgeline?  Chevy killed the Avalanche.  Dodge Dakota was a joke, unreliable and horrible mileage.
Yeah, but it will meet about 90% of most truck buyers' needs. Not everyone who buys a truck needs to tow 10,000lbs, or go off-road, or compensate for a small penis.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ford ranger, chevy colorado?
View Quote
Honda Gayline
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It is a work in process, so I am avoiding posting many pictures.  Somehow I lost the front skid plate (assume it disappeared either when the bumper was installed, or on the trail shortly after I picked it up.  So I have another sitting in the garage, but will install it AFTER the next oil change.  I have been waiting on replacing the rear leaf springs until most of the other work is done so I can get accurate weights.  I still need to consider dealing with under bed storage boxes.

So far I have put on an grill guard bumper, winch, shocks, uniaballUCA, and aluminum flatbed (with wood side rails).

That said, it has made a great feed truck this winter.  It is still light enough I can skim over the top of the muck without sticking myself to the axles (btdt).  I started hating going in the gate last winter with my F250.  I was just waiting to slide sideways into the 4” cemented and welded in steel pipes.  Of course I also fixed that particular mud bog once it dried out last summer - but the bogs were I feed are not as easily fixed.

Anyway last picture of it on my phone was just after the shocks installed.  I think it is sagging 1-2” in the rear right now, maybe another 1” when the feeder is full (was empty with the lid missing in that picture).
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59539/75990FDD-C730-43BB-8387-C105856EE6D7-1289843.jpg

The shocks were a fun waste of money - but I can fly down the cow paths faster.
View Quote
I'd like to see you weigh all that stuff with a full hopper cubes and then compare it to your rated payload.

I'd bet that truck is carrying 200% of what it's supposed to.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top