Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never get out of the car !
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tell this story every once in a while...
Two cars on the highway, very early on a Sunday morning. (Perhaps alcohol was involved?) Somehow, the people in the two vehicles end up in a dispute.
Through the use of shouted obscenities and obscene hand gestures, it is mutually agreed upon that the matter will be settled on the side of the road.
The first car veers sharply to the shoulder, stops... and waits.
The second car pulls to the shoulder perhaps 50 feet ahead of the first vehicle, and 5 angry young men pile out.
The young men begin to approach the first vehicle, the occupants of which still have not exited their vehicle.
After letting them close distance, the driver of the first vehicle finally hits the gas, runs down all 5 young men, and drives away.
The moral of the story?
When you fuck with strangers, you have no idea who you're fucking with.
You have no idea what they're willing to do; you have no idea how far they're willing to go.
People being killed over stupid, insignificant, shit is a story as old as the hills.
I'm not saying walk around like a bitch, taking shit from people.
Just understand, once strangers are involved, there's no telling where things will end up.

Never get out of the car !
I guarantee you... the possibility of being run over never entered those guys' minds when they got out to pick mangoes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a mindset that has developed over the last 5 years for me, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get away from it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm just hear to say that, yes.  Violence is always an option    just not always ideal.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
around atlanta, disrespecting is libel to get a cap busted on your azz. road raging is likely to get you the same thing. the world is filled with people that dont give a rats ass about what happens one second to the next, you trigger them they are all in at the drop of a hat. and they are all armed, many with extendo mags and happy glock switches.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
In public?
Not always but neither is sex until I see a hot chick.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I always ask myself, "if this escalates to where I have to use deadly force, can I justify it in court?"
So not so much violence as the potential for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In public?
Not always but neither is sex until I see a hot chick.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Sometime trying to walk away will get you a nice sucker punch from behind.
Never turn your back to an advacry.
Whatcha the hands, balled up fist.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I learned early that the whole bar scene is dumb, and just a good place to get into trouble with someone that is there looking for trouble to begin with.

I barely had the patience for that as a younger guy, and I had friends that would habitually get themselves, or our whole group into a fight for no reason at all, and not a single part of it was endearing in any way.

At this stage in life I'll walk away from anything like that unless it's not an option, and at that point I'm going to cheat to win because I don't like getting hit. I saw a bunch of guys my dad's age get into a bar fight last year....it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen, a bunch of guys pushing 60 clobbering each other because one of them felt slighted by who the hell knows what.
View Quote

@sitdownandhngon that's wise.

"The Little Black Book of Violence" talks about this, too, in detail. Basically, don't go to dumb places full of dumb people and act dumb. Ounce of prevention > pound of cure.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book-Violence-Fighting-ebook/dp/B06XW2PTPC.....will be required reading for all of my kids as they reach the appropriate age.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@arowneragain

It's an excerpt from a longer essay, which is good.

https://www.jack-donovan.com/sowilo/2010/09/11/violence-is-golden/
View Quote

Quoted:

It's an excerpt.

https://www.jack-donovan.com/sowilo/2010/09/11/violence-is-golden/

@arowneragain

ETA: See someone covered it.
View Quote

Thanks guys. Will have to read that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Sex is always on the back of my mind. Rough sex, gentle sex, anal sex, vaginal sex, oral sex, hand jobs, blow jobs, you name it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
around atlanta, disrespecting is libel to get a cap busted on your azz. road raging is likely to get you the same thing. the world is filled with people that dont give a rats ass about what happens one second to the next, you trigger them they are all in at the drop of a hat. and they are all armed, many with extendo mags and happy glock switches.
View Quote

The ghetto culture is full of low IQ humans.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've done pretty good by following this sage advice:

Don't go to stupid places to do stupid things with stupid people.

It cuts down on all the pointless bullshit and makes it a lot easier to deal with that last .00001% that might get past if/when it confronts you.
View Quote

Sometimes it's hard to avoid.  Take "gas stations" (convenience stores) for example.  The stupid comes to you at those.  I've had more assholes (both drunk and sober) try to start shit with me as I innocently pump gas than I care to admit.  They're shitbird magnets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"The Little Black Book of Violence" talks about this, too, in detail. Basically, don't go to dumb places full of dumb people and act dumb. Ounce of prevention > pound of cure.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book-Violence-Fighting-ebook/dp/B06XW2PTPC.....will be required reading for all of my kids as they reach the appropriate age.

View Quote

Used to be pool tables in crowded bars.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of borderline retarded rednecks too.

Stupidity is colorblind.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Five years ago, only when I was down range or in some areas CONUS. Now it’s 24/7 regardless of location. Society has gone mad and you could be in a life or death situation pretty much anywhere.it sucks but that’s our new reality
View Quote

Pretty much this, our new reality.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Violence is the ultimate base currency of all life.

Ignore that at your own peril.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Been thinking about carrying brass knuckles

For those times when 230 grains is overkill
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Been thinking about carrying brass knuckles

For those times when 230 grains is overkill
View Quote

F that those hurt
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I got into a disagreement with a friend about a month ago. He mouthed off to a stranger and got attacked. He was very upset and surprised he got attacked. I told him he should mind his own business and keep his mouth shut. There is always the potential for violence. He said i was paranoid and delusional.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a work neighbor. About twenty years ago he was managing a shop a town over. Some crazy guy came in and started making a scene. He told him to leave twice and then said he was calling the police. He didnt even get to the phone. He woke up in the hospital. He said he didnt expect that to happen. I think i said its always a possibilty and he said i was crazy or something.

I deal with the general public every day at work. I dont think im paranoid or scared of the world but if an interaction goes south im always thinking it might get physical. Ive never been the victim of a violent crime.

Neither of these guys carry or own guns and they have no idea i do.
View Quote
I suspect there is a decent percentage of people who simply do not consider violence as a part of everyday life, even as a possibility.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned early that the whole bar scene is dumb, and just a good place to get into trouble with someone that is there looking for trouble to begin with.

I barely had the patience for that as a younger guy, and I had friends that would habitually get themselves, or our whole group into a fight for no reason at all, and not a single part of it was endearing in any way.

At this stage in life I'll walk away from anything like that unless it's not an option, and at that point I'm going to cheat to win because I don't like getting hit. I saw a bunch of guys my dad's age get into a bar fight last year....it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen, a bunch of guys pushing 60 clobbering each other because one of them felt slighted by who the hell knows what.

Stick this one on the stack too:  https://www.amazon.com/Facing-Violence-Unexpected-Rory-Miller/dp/1594392137

Having things like social combat (for example, enforcing social rules), the difference between predators who just want what you have, vs predators who want to give you pain because they enjoy that, etc, clearly explained is all very useful. Great little book.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IQ has very little to do with it.

It's better to deal with someone with low iq and good moral character than somoene who's high iq and a moral monster.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]
You see a lot of cheap shot knock out game type assaults in videos ,   they should be watched and mental notes taken .  I'm old and have considered getting a stout cane and viewing some cane fighting videos .   Hopefully I don't get beat to death after 30 seconds .
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I work with inanimate objects that interact in such a way that, if a mistake is made, someone dies. Probably me. Why would I trust people differently?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Escape and evasion are more in my mind then violence, but I do scan the crowd and size up any potential adversaries and note ways I think they could best be neutralized.

I also make it a point to note the entrances, exits, and never EVER sit with my back to them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is violence always in the back of your mind?
well... when I'm not thinking about Rome...and sometimes they overlap
View Quote

I understood that reference.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Always courteous, even apologetic, but very willing to destroy anyone that threatens me or my family.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I deal with the general public every day at work. I dont think im paranoid or scared of the world but if an interaction goes south im always thinking it might get physical. Ive never been the victim of a violent crime.
View Quote

Same for me, I deal with the general public everyday as well and I've never been the victim of a violent crime. I've been sure quite a few times someone was going to punch me, hell some angry drunk sort-of-customer threatened to kill me a few weeks ago. I am constantly shocked how people, in any position, treat other people. Personally, I am very aware of the propensity for violence and it does border on paranoia. I tell friends all the time, don't F with other people - don't even flip the bird, there are people in this world who will kill you for that. We are passed people who don't give a F, many people have serious mental health issues, they will kill you for that shit without a second thought and then explain how they are the victim - and they will truly believe they are the victim. It just isn't worth it. I carry a gun everyday, but I know if I use it and even if I am in the right and have to kill someone, protecting myself carries a great potential to truly ruin my life.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I mind my own business and keep my head on a swivel. I don't even make eye contact with randos because you never know when someone is looking to act a fool or had a bad day or wants to die etc
View Quote

I keep my head on a swivel. I'm always looking for signs.

As for making/not making eye contact, one of the cues predators are looking for, is timidity. They also tend to use the fact that most folks aren't comfortable with a stare down, and will usually avert their eyes to avoid confrontation.

Ever seen that video of the thug knocking out the old guy at the fast food counter? Comes up and stares at the old guy. When the old guy averts his gaze, he gets sucker punched.

I use the "assessment look" all the time, ESPECIALLY if I suspect someone of potentially nefarious intent. Between appearance, demeanor and the assessment, most of those types suddenly find somewhere else to be/something else to interest them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes. I CC and don't talk shit.
View Quote

My daily strategy as well.

I might add, treating other people with just a little common decency goes a LOOONG way towards having an uneventful day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

MYOB, don't talk shit to strangers.

"Talk shit, get lit" IS a real thing.

Sounds like your friend "fucked around and found out."

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Its not on my mind but I'm fully capable if it arises. I keep to myself and avoid people when I can because I just dont like most people.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Two cars on the highway, very early on a Sunday morning. (Perhaps alcohol was involved?) Somehow, the people in the two vehicles end up in a dispute.
Through the use of shouted obscenities and obscene hand gestures, it is mutually agreed upon that the matter will be settled on the side of the road.

The second car pulls to the shoulder perhaps 50 feet ahead of the first vehicle, and 5 angry young men pile out.
The young men begin to approach the first vehicle, the occupants of which still have not exited their vehicle.
After letting them close distance, the driver of the first vehicle finally hits the gas, runs down all 5 young men, and drives away.

The moral of the story?
You have no idea what they're willing to do; you have no idea how far they're willing to go.
People being killed over stupid, insignificant, shit is a story as old as the hills.
Just understand, once strangers are involved, there's no telling where things will end up.
View Quote

this is so true, you cannot underestimate the crazy factor of someone else...there are people out there just looking for you to " Make their day, they just don't give a shit about anything_
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

^This^

Read "When violence is the answer" by Tim Larkin
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The moral of the story?
View Quote

This is always what I tell my wife when she gets pissed off at people when she is driving.  She will frequently flip people off when she feels they are a “bad” driver.  I’ll tell her to quit that shit because you never know what or how the other driver will do.  In fact I was driving one time with her and a guy actually cut me off in a intersection leaving a parking lot, like the guy drove around me from the right and swooped in around me to get closer to the light.  I honked my horn and then the guy got out of his car, walked to the driver side door and started pounding on my door to get out and fight him.  I showed him my pistol and then a tad of rational thinking took over for him and he turned around and walked away.  I point to this every time she gets stupid and flips people off and I tell her there will be a time where I won’t be there and she will be on her own and since she won’t carry she will be at the mercy of the attacker.  Point is you never know how others will react to perceived slights or imagined insults.  Sometimes it’s better not to engage and move on, but if the other party is ready to “party” you better be ready to reciprocate and with violence otherwise you most likely will become a statistic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Stupidity is colorblind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupidity is colorblind.

I'm literally colorblind.

3%=50%
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Funny seeing this post today.

At church my wife kids and I always sit in the back left corner and can see all the entrances and down the hallway to the bathroom doors outside the main entrance. There is one pew behind us, but the pews are angled that I can pretty much see the one person that might sit there just by glancing to my right.

This morning, i met them at church late and there was a stranger (small town) that had the standard Jesse Pinkman from breaking bad look. Messy, shirt untucked, not being judgmental but immediate elevation to orange I guess if we're talking cooper colors. (i took a carry class once, no other background otherwise!)
Sure enough sitting right in the corner behind us.

So Pinkman gets up and goes to the bathroom at the end of the sermon, I notice he leaves a bible he had open laying in his seat. Another guy that carries in church (assumption) got up from the opposite side and moves to the back row opposite of the entrance from me. Smart guy I thought.

So invitation song and Pinkman comes out of the bathroom toward the entrance WITH HIS RIGHT HAND BEHIND HIS BACK and my pulse skyrockets and I get closer to go time than I've ever been in my life. Then he pulls his empty hand around apparently straightening his shirt, and walks in and I make eye contact with the other guy across the door and we both give each other the adrenaline dump look and smirk at each other. So worried for nothing, apparently Pinkman just came in from nowhere to praise Jesus.

I do kind plan out scenarios in my head, and we he went to the bathroom I kind ran through angles and getting the wife and kids down etc.

I'm not trying to sound like I have any special skill for these type scenarios or not, other than having some sort of awareness and like OP said having violence in the back of your head is a stressful existence but in today's times it almost seems necessary. The rush that I experienced was not something I was prepared for-I wish there was a way artificially create those situations without having to work in a field that it is common.  I did some live sim gun scenarios this summer in a class and that was a rush but nothing like it possibly being a reality. I don't know how you law enforcement/military guys don't stroke out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah. Had an incident a couple of days ago. Obvious paranoid schizophrenic was roaming the neighborhood when I came home from work. He was leaving one neighbors yard when I was entering my driveway.

I came back out to keep an eye on him to make sure he left the area, no dice he's roaming back and fourth on the road yelling at people passing in cars and going in and out of neighbors yards.

He doesn't see me but crosses a neighbors yard coming toward my MIL house who is elderly and lives there alone. I rack slide and make a big scene of being angry just hoping to God the guy has enough sense to leave and doesn't want to die.

I get lucky and guy books it away running down the street like he's being chased by K9s.

Neighbors come out to talk to me. Ask if I'm OK... Guy says he didn't know crazy guy was running around his property but that's a lie. Neighbor was in his screened porch watching, doing nothing letting the guy run around. When he headed toward an elderly ladies house who is there alone, he did NOTHING.

Neighbor says if the guy was threatening his family he would do something. I told him the crazy guys presence in his yard roaming around looking for stuff to steal, talking to demons IS a threat to his family.  He pretty much thinks I'm crazy. I think he is clueless.

I find out later the guy was released from jail at 11am that day. Is certifiably paranoid schizophrenic,  basically lives at the jail. Has a wrap sheet a mile long. Assaults police officers everytime he's arrested. Is a sexual deviant and a thief.

After I ran him off he literally ran all the way back to jail and got arrested and went back in the same day.

A guy like that could do anything.  Always be ready IMO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's better to deal with someone with low iq and good moral character than somoene who's high iq and a moral monster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3% of the population makes up 50% of the violent crime. Smart mother fuckers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Violence is my religion.

Not really but I like saying that when I get the opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#44]
As of late, yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Stick this one on the stack too:  https://www.amazon.com/Facing-Violence-Unexpected-Rory-Miller/dp/1594392137

Having things like social combat (for example, enforcing social rules), the difference between predators who just want what you have, vs predators who want to give you pain because they enjoy that, etc, clearly explained is all very useful. Great little book.
View Quote

Thank you! Adding it to the list.

@FlashMan-7k
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

3% of the population makes up 50% of the violent crime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3% of the population makes up 50% of the violent crime.

I suspect the ones that lead the gangs and are at the top structures of the the illegal activities are pretty darn smart.

If they had gone another route they'd probably be on wall street or in a C suite somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Teddy Roosevelt covered this subject a long time ago.
View Quote

So did Jeff Cooper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top