View Quote

YW.

Hope yall profit from it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get into a fight even when watching what you say.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So did Jeff Cooper.
View Quote

One of my favorite Cooperisms is that crime causes poverty, not the other way around.

Violence, then - swift and decisive and certain - in response to crime - therefore prevents poverty.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got into a disagreement with a friend about a month ago. He mouthed off to a stranger and got attacked. He was very upset and surprised he got attacked. I told him he should mind his own business and keep his mouth shut. There is always the potential for violence. He said i was paranoid and delusional.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a work neighbor. About twenty years ago he was managing a shop a town over. Some crazy guy came in and started making a scene. He told him to leave twice and then said he was calling the police. He didnt even get to the phone. He woke up in the hospital. He said he didnt expect that to happen. I think i said its always a possibilty and he said i was crazy or something.

I deal with the general public every day at work. I dont think im paranoid or scared of the world but if an interaction goes south im always thinking it might get physical. Ive never been the victim of a violent crime.

Neither of these guys carry or own guns and they have no idea i do.

View Quote

I have been a police officer for just shy of 29 years.  I have done my level best to avoid violence at all costs for about 28 and a half years, but I *always* understand that it is lurking about in the wings, ready to begin.  And while I ain't shocked any more, I am often disappointed by how many folks I run into who seem to believe that it doesn't exist.  Heck, the phenomenon is even prevalent here---my profession *is,* when boiled down, violence, violence done on behalf of others, started by the practice in the UK and Europe of paying some useless drunk to take one's own turn on the night watch.  Once that started it all went downhill until Sir Robert Peel did his thing and invented modern LE......and things have still fluctuated since.  

But hey, 15 Mondays and I'm out of this gig, and devil take the hindmost.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The fuck you lookin at is not something I want to hear. I watch people but I don't let them see me watching them
View Quote

I got that one time waiting in line at a grocery store.  I wasn't even really looking at the guy, and I told him as much, but he wouldn't let it go and started squaring off with me.  I had no idea what to do, so I finally said, I am sorry, but you look just like my brother Rex who ran away from home years ago.  I mean you look just like him.  I haven't seen him since he and Pops got into an argument and Rex stormed out of the house.  I was really hoping you were him.  I am sorry.....  The guy had no idea what to say....
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
So OP has never been a victim. OP mentions one recent act of violence that a friend brought on himself and the other act occurred to someone else twenty years ago and he is worried about people acting violent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Violence is the default mode of biology.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have been a police officer for just shy of 29 years...........15 Mondays and I'm out of this gig, and devil take the hindmost.
View Quote

I say this in complete seriousness.....I hope your next 4 months are boring and you get to retire and enjoy it afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I always expect violence, so I always think before I take any action.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm female.  Sadly, the thought that I may become a target of violence has been in my mind since puberty.

View Quote

Quoted:
Learn to dispense it.
View Quote
I believe he means "It's better to give than to receive."
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I say this in complete seriousness.....I hope your next 4 months are boring and you get to retire and enjoy it afterwards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been a police officer for just shy of 29 years...........15 Mondays and I'm out of this gig, and devil take the hindmost.

And I say this in complete seriousness.....Brother, I know you and I don't see eye to eye on theological matters, but I have always held you in the highest respect, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind wishes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I walk into every public place looking for the best place available with something to hide behind and hope the pistol and spare magazine will be enough.  I look at everyone that comes in or walks past me.  I listen to what is going on around me (words and volume).

Then, when I leave, I'm happy nothing happened.

When I'm driving I keep enough distance between me and the car in front of me to jump left/right and leave i a hurry.  I watch my rearview mirror and track any car/truck that turns behind me more than a couple times.  I slow down or speed up to see if they do the same to stay with me.  If someone I don't know turns into my street behind me I drive right past my house and turn somewhere else.  

I sleep well at night.  At this point in my life, I sometimes sleep well during the day, in the recliner.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I like the phrase "The graveyard is full of people that were right".

Arguing with idiots is just completely non productive. Even less productive if they are violent idiots.

Life at the Bottom has a whole section about this. Lower class stupid people tend to gravitate to violence as a default, they don't have the mental capacity for anything other than that.
View Quote

I used to tell my kids that it's best to avoid physical confrontation with strangers, even when you know you're right. It doesn't do you much good to be the most righteous person in the emergency room.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The fuck you lookin at is not something I want to hear. I watch people but I don't let them see me watching them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mind my own business and keep my head on a swivel. I don't even make eye contact with randos because you never know when someone is looking to act a fool or had a bad day or wants to die etc

I like everyone in the eye. I want to know what they're thinking.

People who appear to stare at the floor seem weak to feral humans.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And I say this in complete seriousness.....Brother, I know you and I don't see eye to eye on theological matters, but I have always held you in the highest respect, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind wishes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This kinda makes my shitty day better. To see 2 people on the same team, even if they disagree on certain matters. I mean it really does. I'm pissed off and upset right now, but this is great to see.

Carry on
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This kinda makes my shitty day better. To see 2 people on the same team, even if they disagree on certain matters. I mean it really does. I'm pissed off and upset right now, but this is great to see.

Carry on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on

Nice to see guys.

Stay safe and enjoy the retirement.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have been a police officer for just shy of 29 years.  I have done my level best to avoid violence at all costs for about 28 and a half years, but I *always* understand that it is lurking about in the wings, ready to begin.  And while I ain't shocked any more, I am often disappointed by how many folks I run into who seem to believe that it doesn't exist.  Heck, the phenomenon is even prevalent here---my profession *is,* when boiled down, violence, violence done on behalf of others, started by the practice in the UK and Europe of paying some useless drunk to take one's own turn on the night watch.  Once that started it all went downhill until Sir Robert Peel did his thing and invented modern LE......and things have still fluctuated since.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got into a disagreement with a friend about a month ago. He mouthed off to a stranger and got attacked. He was very upset and surprised he got attacked. I told him he should mind his own business and keep his mouth shut. There is always the potential for violence. He said i was paranoid and delusional.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a work neighbor. About twenty years ago he was managing a shop a town over. Some crazy guy came in and started making a scene. He told him to leave twice and then said he was calling the police. He didnt even get to the phone. He woke up in the hospital. He said he didnt expect that to happen. I think i said its always a possibilty and he said i was crazy or something.

I deal with the general public every day at work. I dont think im paranoid or scared of the world but if an interaction goes south im always thinking it might get physical. Ive never been the victim of a violent crime.

Neither of these guys carry or own guns and they have no idea i do.

Very happy to hear you’re getting out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes. I CC and don't talk shit.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Demographics and lifestyle have an enormous effect on the likelihood of a person being victimized.

I'm a 50+ year-old, college educated, married, white male, with a household income in excess of $100K a year.
The chances of my being the victim of a violent crime are extremely small.
However, I also don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't hang out in bars, I don't commit crimes, nor do I socialize with people who do.
My lifestyle reduces my violent crime risk (already small) to almost nothing.

Which is good, because with my heart condition, street fights are out the question.
I sympathize with your concerns due to your gender. I have very few physical options in the face of an attack.
Keep in mind, as a woman, you are far more likely to be victimized by someone known to you than I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm female. Sadly, the thought that I may become a target of violence has been in my mind since puberty.
Learn to dispense it.
Dispense what? It's a fact that women are targeted. I know the likelihood exists, and I plan for it.
When people say, "I should be able to walk anywhere alone and not be targeted," I agree.
But since that's not the world we live in, prepare and make choices that reduce the likelihood.
It's really all you can do.
Demographics and lifestyle have an enormous effect on the likelihood of a person being victimized.

I'm a 50+ year-old, college educated, married, white male, with a household income in excess of $100K a year.
The chances of my being the victim of a violent crime are extremely small.
However, I also don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't hang out in bars, I don't commit crimes, nor do I socialize with people who do.
My lifestyle reduces my violent crime risk (already small) to almost nothing.

Which is good, because with my heart condition, street fights are out the question.
I sympathize with your concerns due to your gender. I have very few physical options in the face of an attack.
Keep in mind, as a woman, you are far more likely to be victimized by someone known to you than I am.
Yes and no. I mean, Just going to the mall I can be targeted. To the grocery store. Hell, my mother was mugged picking up a pizza in broad daylight in NOT a bad part of town (*in 1987).
The day I reported to MEPS they advised all females to travel in groups (not even pairs, but groups). I remember thinking...Really? Even on a .mil base? YUP.
Women are targeted. Period. As are the elderly and children.
It's a fact of life...the "weak" of the herd are targeted by predators.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#22]
The world is full of inept innerweb tough guys. More so that a lot of people have zero public interaction skills. When a person lacks interpersonal skills, they resort to violence. This will only get worse before it spills over. A civil war is coming, not just political, but racial, the have and have nots, and character assassination. The media has been priming this for decades.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think he means dispense violence.

My wife has shared your thoughts on the matter.  Having a daughter has helped me not only understand that this will be something that she will have to deal with.

This is why I have had her learn taekwondo and jujitsu over the years.  Just in case...
View Quote
Women have to really learn to inflict pain. I remember watching a self defense lesson and the instructor said that women have a hard time with inflicting physical pain. We "fight like girls" instead fighting like our lives depend on it...because sometimes it does. That resonated

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
i work in a prison that really solidified the whole violence is always an option in my mind.  OP your friends and colleagues are proof of how soft we are as a country, how sheltered from violence and the real world we are.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same for me, I deal with the general public everyday as well and I've never been the victim of a violent crime. I've been sure quite a few times someone was going to punch me, hell some angry drunk sort-of-customer threatened to kill me a few weeks ago. I am constantly shocked how people, in any position, treat other people. Personally, I am very aware of the propensity for violence and it does border on paranoia. I tell friends all the time, don't F with other people - don't even flip the bird, there are people in this world who will kill you for that. We are passed people who don't give a F, many people have serious mental health issues, they will kill you for that shit without a second thought and then explain how they are the victim - and they will truly believe they are the victim. It just isn't worth it. I carry a gun everyday, but I know if I use it and even if I am in the right and have to kill someone, protecting myself carries a great potential to truly ruin my life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for me, I deal with the general public everyday as well and I've never been the victim of a violent crime. I've been sure quite a few times someone was going to punch me, hell some angry drunk sort-of-customer threatened to kill me a few weeks ago. I am constantly shocked how people, in any position, treat other people. Personally, I am very aware of the propensity for violence and it does border on paranoia. I tell friends all the time, don't F with other people - don't even flip the bird, there are people in this world who will kill you for that. We are passed people who don't give a F, many people have serious mental health issues, they will kill you for that shit without a second thought and then explain how they are the victim - and they will truly believe they are the victim. It just isn't worth it. I carry a gun everyday, but I know if I use it and even if I am in the right and have to kill someone, protecting myself carries a great potential to truly ruin my life.
Had this happen a number of times at work. I suspect it never happened a few times because the other party saw I was willing to respond because I was.

Nothing ever happens to me outside of work. Actually, all my life people have been very respectful of me. I live a boring life.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.

I grew up with violence.  Went to inner city schools, had a father that could turn from nice guy to violent prick in seconds.  Dealt with a lot of intoxicated people in my earlier jobs.
I personally hate violence, but it's always in the back of my mind.  Everyone is evaluated as a threat, and either dismissed or avoided if possible.

Shooting the asshole that wanted to beat his girlfriend and then me to death just proved that I've been right all these years, and my wife now is starting to think like I do and doesn't do dumb shit like stopping to help someone on the side of the road.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#28]
It's on a spectrum for me, depending on situational awareness. When stuff goes down all planning gives way to chaos. Big angry dude, skinny mouthy punk, redhead with a kitchen knife all demand different action on my part. True volence is a last resort. Best way to win a fight is to avoid one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah. Had an incident a couple of days ago. Obvious paranoid schizophrenic was roaming the neighborhood when I came home from work. He was leaving one neighbors yard when I was entering my driveway.

I came back out to keep an eye on him to make sure he left the area, no dice he's roaming back and fourth on the road yelling at people passing in cars and going in and out of neighbors yards.

He doesn't see me but crosses a neighbors yard coming toward my MIL house who is elderly and lives there alone. I rack slide and make a big scene of being angry just hoping to God the guy has enough sense to leave and doesn't want to die.

I get lucky and guy books it away running down the street like he's being chased by K9s.

Neighbors come out to talk to me. Ask if I'm OK... Guy says he didn't know crazy guy was running around his property but that's a lie. Neighbor was in his screened porch watching, doing nothing letting the guy run around. When he headed toward an elderly ladies house who is there alone, he did NOTHING.

Neighbor says if the guy was threatening his family he would do something. I told him the crazy guys presence in his yard roaming around looking for stuff to steal, talking to demons IS a threat to his family.  He pretty much thinks I'm crazy. I think he is clueless.

I find out later the guy was released from jail at 11am that day. Is certifiably paranoid schizophrenic,  basically lives at the jail. Has a wrap sheet a mile long. Assaults police officers everytime he's arrested. Is a sexual deviant and a thief.

After I ran him off he literally ran all the way back to jail and got arrested and went back in the same day.

A guy like that could do anything.  Always be ready IMO.
View Quote
Fuck your neighbor.

Tell his dumb ass to read 1st John 3:16.

I'm really glad you didn't have to shoot the crazy dude, that's probably going to eventually be his fate though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#30]
The majority of people, you encounter,  have no idea, of the monsters that move among us.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The majority of people, you encounter,  have no idea, of the monsters that move among us.
View Quote

Nor do I.

I am simply open to that possibility
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I keep violence at the front of my mind.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I see this tread coming up during a jury trial
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Just last Friday I had to tell some urban yoots to get the fuck out of my gas station.
They were upset that the almost elderly clerk wouldn't sell them their Black n Milds with an expired ID. They got mouthy, talking about being "dissespected", and they were gonna "slap someone".
I said "slap me, or get the fuck out". They left.
probably because every other person in the store was white. We were in a predominately white, middle class suburb, and the police actually show up if they're called.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#36]
What did Swayze say in Roadhouse?
Something like "People looking for trouble are no match for those who are ready for it."

Seems pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Arfcom is is WhiskersTheCat, interrogative:

Whom do you serve?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fuck your neighbor.

I'm really glad you didn't have to shoot the crazy dude, that's probably going to eventually be his fate though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah. Had an incident a couple of days ago. Obvious paranoid schizophrenic was roaming the neighborhood when I came home from work. He was leaving one neighbors yard when I was entering my driveway.

I came back out to keep an eye on him to make sure he left the area, no dice he's roaming back and fourth on the road yelling at people passing in cars and going in and out of neighbors yards.

He doesn't see me but crosses a neighbors yard coming toward my MIL house who is elderly and lives there alone. I rack slide and make a big scene of being angry just hoping to God the guy has enough sense to leave and doesn't want to die.

I get lucky and guy books it away running down the street like he's being chased by K9s.

Neighbors come out to talk to me. Ask if I'm OK... Guy says he didn't know crazy guy was running around his property but that's a lie. Neighbor was in his screened porch watching, doing nothing letting the guy run around. When he headed toward an elderly ladies house who is there alone, he did NOTHING.

Neighbor says if the guy was threatening his family he would do something. I told him the crazy guys presence in his yard roaming around looking for stuff to steal, talking to demons IS a threat to his family.  He pretty much thinks I'm crazy. I think he is clueless.

I find out later the guy was released from jail at 11am that day. Is certifiably paranoid schizophrenic,  basically lives at the jail. Has a wrap sheet a mile long. Assaults police officers everytime he's arrested. Is a sexual deviant and a thief.

After I ran him off he literally ran all the way back to jail and got arrested and went back in the same day.

Fuck your neighbor.

I was so thankful that he wasn't feeling crazy enough to test me. I feel like I was doing the right thing getting between him and my MIL house and attempting to steer him away but I had a million legal thoughts flying around in my head. I wouldn't have shot just for simple trespassing but the guy seemed unhinged and highly likely that he was not going to respond well to me.

I know these types have murdered innocent women/girls for no fucking reason so I felt obligated to run him off for the entire neighborhood but it's just moving the problem along to possibly go assault some other unsuspecting victim.

I brought that up to the neighbor and his wife also. They were like "Well he's gone now so crisis avoided". I said he could be just down the street killing some lady sitting on her porch that he imagined was the devil right now, nothing was fixed by running him off.

They once again looked at me blank faced like they would never have thought of such a possibility.  People live like NPCs from another universe compared to where my mind is. I might be as crazy as the guy I ran off compared to these idiots.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm pretty sure violence is the normal thing but folks want to believe they are better so we act like it is something that only animals & "bad" people do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

I carry pepper spray, socp dagger and 28 rounds of 9mm on my person.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#41]
If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

-Schlock mercenary.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. I’ll be conciliatory and soft-spoken until you force me not to be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who do you serve
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#44]
See sig line.

I'm no badass but you better be ready for it when it comes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:39:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I am well aware of the potential for violence from others, as well as from myself.    

25 years ago my father in law told me that violence is never a solution.   I disagreed.   It may not be the right solution,  but it is always an option.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I was so thankful that he wasn't feeling crazy enough to test me. I feel like I was doing the right thing getting between him and my MIL house and attempting to steer him away but I had a million legal thoughts flying around in my head. I wouldn't have shot just for simple trespassing but the guy seemed unhinged and highly likely that he was not going to respond well to me.

I know these types have murdered innocent women/girls for no fucking reason so I felt obligated to run him off for the entire neighborhood but it's just moving the problem along to possibly go assault some other unsuspecting victim.

I brought that up to the neighbor and his wife also. They were like "Well he's gone now so crisis avoided". I said he could be just down the street killing some lady sitting on her porch that he imagined was the devil right now, nothing was fixed by running him off.

They once again looked at me blank faced like they would never have thought of such a possibility.  People live like NPCs from another universe compared to where my mind is. I might be as crazy as the guy I ran off compared to these idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck your neighbor.

Im not surprised.

The night of my shooting, there were 'men' far more able-bodied than I screaming SOMEONE HELP THAT WOMAN.  I helped, he died.  Had there been more than just me, he might have lived, but no one else gave enough of a shit to help, they just wanted to watch, and the cops were trying but they were about 30 seconds too late.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Short answer yes
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#48]
What's the saying? Always be polite, respectful and professional but have a plan to kill everyone in the room.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

^
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Not since my 20s.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top