Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will hold out to see his performance.  Who cares what color the actor is if he is a good actor?  When i read "Rising Sun" i never pictured Web Smith as a black man, i don't even recall if it was ever mentioned, but Wesley Snipes played the part well.  After that i couldn't visualize Web Smith as anyone BUT Snipes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.

then write the story as a black character.  Don't write it as a white character then when its convenient to be PC, change your mind.

I will hold out to see his performance.  Who cares what color the actor is if he is a good actor?  When i read "Rising Sun" i never pictured Web Smith as a black man, i don't even recall if it was ever mentioned, but Wesley Snipes played the part well.  After that i couldn't visualize Web Smith as anyone BUT Snipes.

there were black Gunslingers. According to the plot of the book  gunslingers were either descended from a mythical king or earned it by some kind of service. according to the book, the mythical King had children by dozens of women of all races, and demons as well.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Because it changed the story, there are sub plots in the book about one character who hates white people, and she instantly hates Roland because he is WHITE! I fear this is going to be like the majority of film adaptations of King's books and SUCK.

Too often now characters races are changed from classic stories just for the sake of diversity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.

Because it changed the story, there are sub plots in the book about one character who hates white people, and she instantly hates Roland because he is WHITE! I fear this is going to be like the majority of film adaptations of King's books and SUCK.

Too often now characters races are changed from classic stories just for the sake of diversity.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:09:50 AM EDT
[#3]
The female lead has also been cast.

The lead female character of the Gunslinger.

The LEAD female.

A character named Tirana.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think the revolvers design has to be based on anything from our universe.

Actually I think I'd like it better if it was a bit different.
View Quote

Pretty sure it is a double action. also it could be loaded with 1 hand. he could load either gun  one handed in the first book.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

View Quote

Wtf?

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wtf?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Wtf?

They are talking about the Dark Tower series written by Steven King, right? Because there's no one named Tirana in the Dark Tower series by Steven King.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Pretty sure it is a double action. also it could be loaded with 1 hand. he could load either gun with one handed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think the revolvers design has to be based on anything from our universe.

Pretty sure it is a double action. also it could be loaded with 1 hand. he could load either gun with one handed.

I thought I remembered him specifically saying it wasn't. He had to fan it to rapid fire as well.

Never know, maybe they'll make it a deagle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wtf?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Wtf?

The only Tirana in the whole series was a minor MINOR MINOR character, a "low man" (or maybe Taheen) in the Dixie Pig in book 7.  

How the hell is a minor character (like mentioned on 1 page out of ten thousand or more) from book 7 going to be a major character in the movie?

I have a feeling the name of the movie is going to be the only part that follows the book.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are talking about the Dark Tower series written by Steven King, right? Because there's no one named Tirana in the Dark Tower series by Steven King.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Wtf?

There was.  On maybe 1 page of one book.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:20:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Wtf?

I thought she was a minor character in the Wolves Of Calla book, or whatever it was called.

None of this surprises me though if King has any input.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Wtf?

Ah. I gave up on the series around book 6, I think.

Then King REALLY pissed me off with The Dome.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I thought I remembered him specifically saying it wasn't. He had to fan it to rapid fire as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

King is really fucking ridiculous when it comes to gun terminology. In some cases he is shooting it DA in other cases he has fanning the hammer.

You are right, It'd be cooler if it was different .
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:22:26 AM EDT
[#13]
the only two books worth reading in the series is 1 and 5.

the rest are a huge let down. I read them when I was a kid.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:24:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How progressive of them.  It makes no sense.
View Quote

Agreed. Great actor but they are fucking up the story from the get go.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:26:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I hereby christen the film "GINO"

Gunslinger in Name Only
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

i remember Roland flipping through a book picking out the ammo he wanted by sight, but I don't remember what it was - I'll have to look it up. For some reason a colt single action army doesn't seem big enough to me. I'm sure it had a loading gate though.

You paint a very close picture to what I have in my head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Now I'm going to have to reread a few of them picturing Idris as Roland. I always had a young Clint Eastwood in my mind. I would have never pictured Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. Two great actors, I'm betting it's going to be awesome.

What revolver do you picture in your mind with you think of Roland?

A big one with sandal wood grips.

Seriously, a large frame, single action in something like 45LC.  I think caliber was touched on in "The Drawing of The Three" but its been a while.  Something 44, I think.  I picture very old guns with lots of holster wear and rounded, well polished surfaces.  Well cared for but lots of mileage.  Grips worn smooth as a baby's ass from handling except for the inevitable dings and scratches. and stained very dark from sweat, blood, and oil. A more elegant weapon from a more civilized age.

i remember Roland flipping through a book picking out the ammo he wanted by sight, but I don't remember what it was - I'll have to look it up. For some reason a colt single action army doesn't seem big enough to me. I'm sure it had a loading gate though.

Well, you're both wrong.

In a recent Stephen King interview in re The Gunslinger:
"...and I thought to myself, why stop there?  Why does Roland have to be a  Gunslinger?  Yeah, I had originally envisioned Roland as a 'gunpowder knight' so to speak, but at the genesis of this idea, you have to remember I was a brand new author," King stated.  "As the whole idea of Roland solidified in my mind as the work progressed, I realized that the gun, itself, wasn't as important as the symbolism--that the firearm was only a tool used to dispense Roland's own particular, rigid flavor of moralism.  And really, why couldn't any tool be used?  While he's often quoted in the series as telling his compatriots that "We deal in death",  why couldn't he deal in--say--cuttingly brilliant, wicked-sharp lyrics in contemporary music?  As I've come to see it, Roland gets his point across--and is not lessened--by eschewing firearms completely, and making social commentary about justice through urban music, with all the grit, sweat, and darkness that can come from living in that world."  King went further on to say that he had already envisioned Roland on stage, decimating his opponent, dropping his signature sandalwood-gripped microphone to the stage as he walked off, victorious.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:27:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Elba is a bad mofo,he can pull it off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I hereby christen the film "GINO"

Gunslinger in Name Only
View Quote

"Gunslinger unchained"

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, you're both wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Now I'm going to have to reread a few of them picturing Idris as Roland. I always had a young Clint Eastwood in my mind. I would have never pictured Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. Two great actors, I'm betting it's going to be awesome.

Seriously, a large frame, single action in something like 45LC.  I think caliber was touched on in "The Drawing of The Three" but its been a while.  Something 44, I think.  I picture very old guns with lots of holster wear and rounded, well polished surfaces.  Well cared for but lots of mileage.  Grips worn smooth as a baby's ass from handling except for the inevitable dings and scratches. and stained very dark from sweat, blood, and oil. A more elegant weapon from a more civilized age.

Well, you're both wrong.

"...and I thought to myself, why stop there?  Why does Roland have to be a  Gunslinger?  Yeah, I had originally envisioned Roland as a 'gunpowder knight' so to speak, but at the genesis of this idea, you have to remember I was a brand new author," King stated.  "As the whole idea of Roland solidified in my mind as the work progressed, I realized that the gun, itself, wasn't as important as the symbolism--that the firearm was only a tool used to dispense Roland's own particular, rigid flavor of moralism.  And really, why couldn't any tool be used?  While he's often quoted in the series as telling his compatriots that "We deal in death",  why couldn't he deal in--say--cuttingly brilliant, wicked-sharp lyrics in contemporary music?  As I've come to see it, Roland gets his point across--and is not lessened--by eschewing firearms completely, and making social commentary about justice through urban music, with all the grit, sweat, and darkness that can come from living in that world."  King went further on to say that he had already envisioned Roland on stage, decimating his opponent, dropping his signature sandalwood-gripped microphone on stage as he walked off, victorious.

God I hope they make it a musical..

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:29:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well, you're both wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you're both wrong.

"...and I thought to myself, why stop there?  Why does Roland have to be a  Gunslinger?  Yeah, I had originally envisioned Roland as a 'gunpowder knight' so to speak, but at the genesis of this idea, you have to remember I was a brand new author," King stated.  "As the whole idea of Roland solidified in my mind as the work progressed, I realized that the gun, itself, wasn't as important as the symbolism--that the firearm was only a tool used to dispense Roland's own particular, rigid flavor of moralism.  And really, why couldn't any tool be used?  While he's often quoted in the series as telling his compatriots that "We deal in death",  why couldn't he deal in--say--cuttingly brilliant, wicked-sharp lyrics in contemporary music?  As I've come to see it, Roland gets his point across--and is not lessened--by eschewing firearms completely, and making social commentary about justice through urban music, with all the grit, sweat, and darkness that can come from living in that world."  King went further on to say that he had already envisioned Roland on stage, decimating his opponent, dropping his signature sandalwood-gripped microphone on stage as he walked off, victorious.

He is the perfect example of someone who should have stayed on the hooch. He's a fucking retard sober.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

View Quote

The fat "low woman" / rat from the Dixie Pig???!!!   WTF?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:35:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Idris is going to fuck it after rap battling the man in black.

Ain't nothing like fucking someone's main bitch as pay back.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Maybe he can step dance his way between worlds.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:39:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.
View Quote

Dick Van Dyke's kid...I forget his name.  Saw him on a Western he did several years ago, and I was "Holy shit!  That's Roland!"

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:40:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dick Van Dyke's kid...I forget his name.  Saw him on a Western he did several years ago, and I was "Holy shit!  That's Roland!"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.

Damn, I think you may be right.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:40:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Nah, all he has to do to travel between world's is take some dab hits.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:41:08 AM EDT
[#27]
oops.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

lol, 10 bucks says he gets buttfucked by a demon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:46:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was Susannah.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That was Susannah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was Susannah.

Yeah, but woman rape is so cliche..
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Christian Bale would be a good Roland if that hasn't been mentioned yet.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LEAD female.

Come, come comalla
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:49:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They should have went with Brandice Bumblerstache.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

No Welshmen.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a tooterfish sammich.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

with a side of pussy popkins.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:01:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I will pass on this, I am so done with the Progressive,Homo,Liberal Retard movie shit.

Will not watch.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
On the bright side, I just started watching 11/22/63 on Hulu.  James Franco plays the lead, not Will Smith, so I guess I should be grateful.  
View Quote

Wait...what?  That's a series?
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the bright side, I just started watching 11/22/63 on Hulu.  James Franco plays the lead, not Will Smith, so I guess I should be grateful.  

Apparently so. Someone was telling me about that the other day, and I can't remember who it was.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I was really excited, had been waiting years...

The first couple of books were really good.  I liked the very first (set the stage) and then drawing of the three.  That is where it gets sketchy and bizarre that King would use a black guy.  It was clear Roland was white.  "little white candle..."

I think the project:

A) would have been much better as a miniseries.

B) has obviously been PC contaminated by leftist bullshit.

Now I'm not planning on seeing it.  I'll leave it just the way the books left it.

Usually the book is better than the movie anyway.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Did you read the books?

If so, you remember the part when Roland tries to get Suzannah to come with him?

If not a woman who fucking HATES white people has a tall white guy who is, for all intents and purposes, the fucking Marlboro Man, try to get her to go to another world.

To change that changes the story pretty irredeemably.

There was a pretty late subtext about racism throughout those books.

Granted, he is a great actor, but to change something as small as that shits SJW wackiness and changes it into another story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the books?

If so, you remember the part when Roland tries to get Suzannah to come with him?

If not a woman who fucking HATES white people has a tall white guy who is, for all intents and purposes, the fucking Marlboro Man, try to get her to go to another world.

To change that changes the story pretty irredeemably.

There was a pretty late subtext about racism throughout those books.

Granted, he is a great actor, but to change something as small as that shits SJW wackiness and changes it into another story.

Not if--as has been suggested earlier--you make dat 'ol 'Detta Walker White.  Then you can be as racist as you want with her, and it's OK, because White.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know the sandalwood grips aren't from this planet, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:20:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Who will play the Billy bumbler?

YAKE! YAKE!
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:27:05 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://m9.i.pbase.com/g1/64/521964/2/126358509.RGTVCGDl.jpg

That's hawt.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The Dark Tower books
Any Stephan King novels were just awful.
View Quote
The worst pulp fiction author of our generation, Cujo my ass.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oily, sticky, resinous wood known and prized almost exclusively for its aromatic qualities.  Due to it's demand in the ME for religious reasons (incense), almost impossible to acquire in large enough quantity to make grips from...(as a huge dork, I tried several years ago to craft my own Big Guns using Vaqueros).
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Oily, sticky, resinous wood known and prized almost exclusively for its aromatic qualities.  Due to it's demand in the ME for religious reasons (incense), almost impossible to acquire in large enough quantity to make grips from...(as a huge dork, I tried several years ago to craft my own Big Guns using Vaqueros).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always envisioned Roland's pistols as being Colt Walkers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

King is really fucking ridiculous when it comes to gun terminology. In some cases he is shooting it DA in other cases he has fanning the hammer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the Beretta Taurus in Under The Dome.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top