BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reminds me of Shamblin Lara and her hubby.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390133/ffgf_jpeg-3098878.JPG
View Quote

She looks like a crackhead.

Edit: look at that conehead doo.

Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Damn..
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Prosperity preachers gonna prosper.

View Quote

The business is Jesus (or conning) and business is GOOD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
He gives me the creeps, seriously. I don't understand what some people see in him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is it a net positive for society?

Yes all these people are giving him money and he's spending it on luxury items for himself but is it inducing a lot of "morality" and good positive behavior into society?

View Quote

I think what people don't understand is that's the point.

Huge televised megachurches benefit in that they are easy and feel good as it pertains to religion.

It's not about morality.  But more that any "real" church is going to call you out.

It's similar to twitch thots and onlyfans in a way.

As people would rather pay to interact and not feel the weight of reality and rejection.

He's simply giving people what they want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He is a slimy snake oil salesman
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to watch Joel Osteen.  I never saw him talk about sin, repentance, or the need to have Jesus remove the death sentence that sin brings.  I get it that his marketing strategy (yes, I meant to say that) is to preach to people who are already believers, but I think getting sinners to repent was the main focus of the book of Acts.  We need for the Christian church to get back to that, and Joel Osteen sure ain't helpin' any.

Exactly
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t get why people here hate him so much.

If his congregation is getting some sort of benefit from being a member, good for all involved.

There are a lot worse things out there.

For people that hate liberalism so much, y’all seem to hate religion in general.

I think it’s a good thing in general if just for building ties with your community.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
You forgot the interest over 19 years which probably doubles that to $200k per week which i believe is really low. You also left out the take from him and all of his demons.  When i managed an armored car company 20 years ago we picked up deposits from a large church that the rich people went to in a city of about 60k people. Mind you that there were 4-5 other large churches in this town that we didn’t pick up. But this one deposit weekly hovered around $50k on average.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE3kJeBr9QI
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Jim Jones had a following.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
You mean you haven't?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
His wife has a strange look in her eyes.
View Quote

In her mind she is saying, "Yes, yes, YES, continue to send us money, Yesssssssssssssss"
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
10% for the Big Guy lol!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Goddamn, Christians have absolutely no shame at all...
View Quote

Like any other organizations that attract people who are hurting, vulnerable, in need, or hungry for guidance and leadership, religion attracts people who will take advantage of them.

Generalities are dumb.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]
IIRC one of the local preachers, Buddy Cremeans, was getting involved with  Joel Olsteen. Now sure if he still is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2024/01/18/18/80178301-12978883-Osteen_said_he_doesn_t_feel_the_need_to_apologize_for_his_wealth-a-70_1705602954394.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12978883/Its-faithfulness-Pastor-Joel-Osteen-breaks-tears-tells-congregation-100million-loan-took-convert-NBA-stadium-Texas-megachurch-paid-just-19-years.html

Megachurch pastor Joel Osteen has paid off a $100 million loan for renovations at  his church in just 19 years with donations thanks to his congregation's 'faithfulness'. Osteen burst into tears as he ripped up the loan agreement on Sunday during a service at the 17,000 seat NBA stadium turned church in Houston, Texas.
View Quote

https://preview.redd.it/mxsxblj844f61.jpg?auto=webp&s=7ea4380746449de9b34221ad477b021488d9f98b
View Quote

An oldie but a goody:
"Joel Osteen looks like Martin Short doing an impersonation of Tim Allen..."
View Quote

And beaten on Page 2...  oh well, worth repeating.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A fool and their money and all that.

Megachurches are cancer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Demon spawn. I’ve seen it before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Demon spawn. I’ve seen it before.

You've met my ex-wife?

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think he probably converts more than most given how ubiquitous his content is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to watch Joel Osteen.  I never saw him talk about sin, repentance, or the need to have Jesus remove the death sentence that sin brings.  I get it that his marketing strategy (yes, I meant to say that) is to preach to people who are already believers, but I think getting sinners to repent was the main focus of the book of Acts.  We need for the Christian church to get back to that, and Joel Osteen sure ain't helpin' any.

I’ve watched a lot of his messages, and he’s preaching the gospel of the bountiful.  It’s not all fire and brimstone, but he does preach faith in Christ as the path to salvation, and every message I’ve listened to ends with a prayer to Christ for forgiveness and salvation.

So have I, but it sounds like a mere formality, like, "I better mention Jesus now."  I don't think his technique motivates very many people to come to Christ who aren't believers already.  I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I'd have to see definite numbers on how many people have become Christians during one of his sermons.

I bet it's slightly more than Tony Robbins.

I think he probably converts more than most given how ubiquitous his content is.

But are they really converted?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Megachurches are cancer.
View Quote

Truth.  I believe there are a LOT of "pastors" that will have a lot to answer for (1 Peter 5:2-3, Ezekiel 34:2-5)
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
for the weak minded
View Quote

This x1000
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Not reading all the posts, what's the one simple trick?
Scam money and pay loan?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#22]
He has a dope Ferrari!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If his congregation is getting some sort of benefit from being a member, good for all involved.
View Quote

People probably feel like his followers are being taken advantage of, but I bet lots of them know exactly what they're doing.  Just like OnlyFans.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#26]
At most he's a motivational speaker, at worst he's a con man.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm one of them.   He doesn't charge me a penny to listen to his sermons.  I was in a dark depression at one point, I never heard him speak before and his sermons helped to get me back in a good place.

He also tells his followers to get in a good bible based church.  I love Jesus and have faith in the Lord, so if anyone has good things to say I like to hear.

View Quote

Those jumping to conclusions based on soundbites they got from MSM in this thread would be well-advised to listen to you. I know of a few people like you that Osteen's sermons on the radio helped pull out of a dark spot. They never gave him any $ aside from what their Sirius radio subs paid him.

He ain't perfect, but he's also not shoving 43 different sexual orientations down our children's throats or blaming white males and nuclear families for all of mankind's problems.

As a Christian, I don't find his gospel interpretations perfect, but neither are mine. At least we're generally on the same side.

WRT to megachurches in general, for every Joel Osteen there are many more Tim Hawks (retired pastor of Hill Country Bible, lived a very modest life, outstanding scholar) or even Max Lucado's (stayed by the front door every Sunday until every single person who wanted to speak with him was gone, donated a large portion of the proceedings from his many books) that most of you have never heard of.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There are a lot worse things out there.

For people that hate liberalism so much, y’all seem to hate religion in general.

I think it’s a good thing in general if just for building ties with your community.
View Quote

These are the people who are too quick to judge. We all will be held accountable for every word spoken.

Who does not want to be prosperous? The bills still have to be paid, right?

Is it disobedience or a sin to be rich (having excessive money and material things of this world)?

Who doesn't want thier soul to prosper. "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Giving is receiving.

For the love of money, this is the root of all kinds of evil.

??
Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you.
For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.  And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.

I desire that my soul prospers as well as my physical health & my finances.  

Commies hate the independently wealthy. Apparently, so do atheists. (see the correlation)

So many believers so far behind in maturity.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He is a con man. They were doing repairs in his church and opened up a wall. There was a bag of cash with over 100K in it and passports.

His sermons are complete garbage and no substance. Does he even read out of the Bible?
View Quote

No he never opens the Word of God and teaches and preach from it. He's a version of Oprah but in a mega Church full of gullible sheep
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
He gives me the creeps, seriously. I don't understand what some people see in him.
View Quote

Feel good speaker. He's another Balom
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Remember what his mom used to say?
"We don't preach it sad, we preach it glad".
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Like Kenneth Copeland. The guy looks like evil incarnate.

I have nothing against religion or Christians, I think there is a lot of wonderful and truly genuine Christians and Christian leaders/pastors that have done so many positive things for the world.
Growing up I went to a traditional (not progressive) Lutheran church and had an amazing pastor. The type would visit the sick and elderly on a daily basis and truly lived the Bible. Modest home, nothing fancy, lived a very simply life with a great family.

I just have a hatred for the prosperity preachers. Just completely distorts the message.

Like you'll have people digging up obscure Old Testament verses to allow them to point fingers at others.

But the same types will completely ignore Christ's actual words and parables that written plainly with no gray area.

Example.... Luke 18:25 "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

Yet these prosperity preachers pretty much preach the exact opposite.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have nothing against religion or Christians, I think there is a lot of wonderful and truly genuine Christians and Christian leaders/pastors that have done so many positive things for the world.
Growing up I went to a traditional (not progressive) Lutheran church and had an amazing pastor. The type would visit the sick and elderly on a daily basis and truly lived the Bible. Modest home, nothing fancy, lived a very simply life with a great family.

I just have a hatred for the prosperity preachers. Just completely distorts the message.

Like you'll have people digging up obscure Old Testament verses to allow them to point fingers at others.

But the same types will completely ignore Christ's actual words and parables that written plainly with no gray area.

Example.... Luke 18:25 "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#36]
He is truly a nice guy. I don’t know his church business stuff but I give him a pass. Attack attack attack.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't follow the any organized religion myself. I try to follow the basic Golden Rule.

I'm talking about the people that own 3 personal jets, 2 mansions, and manipulating old ladies on a fixed income promising their offering donations will get them into heaven.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't follow the any organized religion myself. I try to follow the basic Golden Rule.

I'm talking about the people that own 3 personal jets, 2 mansions, and manipulating old ladies on a fixed income promising their offering donations will get them into heaven.

View Quote

The basic Golden Rule?

What exactly is the Golden Rule that you follow, if you don't mind my asking? Maybe you're trying too hard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

An interesting video on the prosperity gospel and megachurches
The Dark World of Megachurches
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The golden rule?

What exactly is the golden rule that you follow, if you don't mind my asking? Maybe you're trying too hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The golden rule?

What exactly is the golden rule that you follow, if you don't mind my asking? Maybe you're trying too hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

Pretty much the core value with most every religion or historical philosophy on ethics.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2024/01/18/18/80178301-12978883-Osteen_said_he_doesn_t_feel_the_need_to_apologize_for_his_wealth-a-70_1705602954394.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12978883/Its-faithfulness-Pastor-Joel-Osteen-breaks-tears-tells-congregation-100million-loan-took-convert-NBA-stadium-Texas-megachurch-paid-just-19-years.html

Megachurch pastor Joel Osteen has paid off a $100 million loan for renovations at  his church in just 19 years with donations thanks to his congregation's 'faithfulness'. Osteen burst into tears as he ripped up the loan agreement on Sunday during a service at the 17,000 seat NBA stadium turned church in Houston, Texas.
View Quote

https://preview.redd.it/mxsxblj844f61.jpg?auto=webp&s=7ea4380746449de9b34221ad477b021488d9f98b
View Quote

Charlatan.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He is a con man. They were doing repairs in his church and opened up a wall. There was a bag of cash with over 100K in it and passports.

His sermons are complete garbage and no substance. Does he even read out of the Bible?
View Quote

I’ve never seen a Bible on his clear pulpit. He and Jim Jones have a lot in common.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

His thing is just telling people what they want to hear instead of actually doing a sermon on the word of God. He is a sharp dressed good looking guy and his wife is attractive. It is all in the presentation. Plus, it is Texas, and people from Texas, are, well, you know.
View Quote

A Feel Good Social Club.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bet they have loud, drunk/drugged sex a lot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I know people, good obedient, Godly, Christ-centered people, who are absolutely convinced that Joel is a great and Godly man.
View Quote

I'm thankful that I don't know anyone within my church who thinks Osteen is a Christian. If I start hearing members of my church make such claims, I'll know I'm not in the right church/Christian community.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#46]
If he was such a con man, why would he pay down the loan on the church.  If he was a con man, he'd pay the least amount possible on the loan, and squirrel away all of the church offerings.     Doesn't make sense to me and I could care less what all you haters think of the man and his wife.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Douche Bag.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I bet not ONE CENT of Osteen's own money was used to pay off the loan.
View Quote

Why would he spend HIS money?

He uses "God's" money instead.  Can I get an Amen-a?

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If he was such a con man, why would he pay down the loan on the church.  If he was a con man, he'd pay the least amount possible on the loan, and squirrel away all of the church offerings.     Doesn't make sense to me and I could care less what all you haters think of the man and his wife.
View Quote

1 hundred million dollars paid off. The debt was canceled!

You got to hate that.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top