Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You saw it on a Rolex forum? That figures.

Back when I was a drinkin’ man my younger brother made me a fan of Oban 14 single malt scotch. He gave a bottle of it to our father one year, and it ran neck-and-neck with Pop’s smoky favorite, Laphroig. Oban isn’t cheap, but for under $100 it was probably the best scotch I tried.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Not worth it. After all, when you mix it with your Dr. Pepper, the scotch taste is suppressed and you can't tell it from cheaper stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You saw it on a Rolex forum? That figures.
View Quote
Yeah, $80 scotch in a $200 bottle. Just like a Rolex.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Blue is not worth it if you're for drinking it. IHMO the old gold label was better but a single malt is where it's at.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Huge JW fan here. Blue is TOO smooth, like they blended all distinctions out. Yes, it’s good but not worth several multiples over JW Black. Even if YOU’RE buying, I’m drinking JW Black.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
No.  And that's considering I got a bottle at $120.
I'd rather have Black, for the money.

ETA: your first and only whiskey is Jack?!
Sheeeet, even JW red will blow that swill away.
Honestly, don't even attempt the high end Scotch without trying the $30 a bottle stuff, so many varieties of Scotch based on location.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it's a good blended scotch and the less "initiated" scotch drinkers find it more mellow.

I'm really digging Balvenie 21 Portwood and Macallan 21. Balvenie is like $160 per bottle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Op, do yourself a favor and take that same money to get a bottle of Macallan 18.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is actually not bad at all, just horribly overpriced.

It should be around $75-90, not $200.

You can get a bottle of Highland Park 18 for less and it is far better.
View Quote
Exactly. I love Highland Park.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Just to revisit the idea of blue being a false status symbol....what bottle would be a true status symbol in the world of Scotch/Whiskey drinkers?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:10:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just to revisit the idea of blue being a false status symbol....what bottle would be a true status symbol in the world of Scotch/Whiskey drinkers?

Thanks
View Quote
Agree with others, blue is way overpriced, though it is pretty good.

You want a nice bottle get:
Glengoyne 25
Macallan 18

These are heavily sherried, so may not be your thing.

Not sure if there's such a thing as status symbol, but those are two bottles in the $200-$300 range.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
Who gives a fuck about status symbols? Educate yourself about scotches and drink what you like.

Or is snobbery the entire point of your interest?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck about status symbols? Educate yourself about scotches and drink what you like.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Lately I've been drinking a $30 bottle of Naked Grouse. Really nice sherried Scotch. Not as nice as an Abunadh or Tamdhu, but less than half the cost so...
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
negative
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There's no reason to drink blended scotch.

Ever.

The best most expensive blend, still sucks in comparison to a $45 bottle of Aberlour 12.

Frankly, when it comes to blends, Teachers for the money is great.  If you spend more money than Teachers, just do yourself a favour and buy a bottle of single malt.

Spend $5 on a Glencairn glass, lose the ice and water, shave the palms of your hands and enjoy God's gift to a gentleman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, there's nothing wrong with blended Scotches, especially in mixed drinks or just thrown over the rocks.

I get single malts... I've tried most... I enjoy many. But blends have their place, so there's no reason to be snobby.
There's no reason to drink blended scotch.

Ever.

The best most expensive blend, still sucks in comparison to a $45 bottle of Aberlour 12.

Frankly, when it comes to blends, Teachers for the money is great.  If you spend more money than Teachers, just do yourself a favour and buy a bottle of single malt.

Spend $5 on a Glencairn glass, lose the ice and water, shave the palms of your hands and enjoy God's gift to a gentleman.
As I said, I've tried most single malts. I have a few different bottles at home. I don't need to be lectured on which ones to buy, or how to drink them.

I enjoy single malts, but I also enjoy some blends. I use them differently and on different occasions. I'm not saying blends are better, I'm saying they each have their place.

Don't Be A Single Malt Scotch Snob
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.
And don't get hunkered down on only 1 type.  Variety is good, have a bottle of this and that lying around, so you can enjoy different flavors.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Only if you are celebrating your two gay friends getting married, or if you 4 year old is coming out as transgendered.

I am basing this on their current marketing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#19]
It's too old.  It lacks flavor and character like a steak that's very tender but tastes like tofu.  Go with a good single malt like Lagavulin 16.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
Laphroaig 18 or Lagavulin 16 both enjoyed neat.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Blended scotch sucks ass...
View Quote
All Scotch sucks ass.  All whiskies are flavored by rotting wood.

Real men drink vodka, neat.   Real men drink tequila, right from the bottle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Real men like potato flavored booze apparently.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As I said, I've tried most single malts. I have a few different bottles at home. I don't need to be lectured on which ones to buy, or how to drink them.

I enjoy single malts, but I also enjoy some blends. I use them differently and on different occasions. I'm not saying blends are better, I'm saying they each have their place.

View Quote
Meh, I don't like batches with consistent flavors.  I prefer each bottle to be a bit unique.  I guess there's a McDonalds crowd that thinks differently.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Balvenie  Caribbean rum cask for around $80 gets my vote.
View Quote
I won’t walk across the street for a Balvenie.

I’d sprint!

It’s not like I’d won’t drink a blended Scotch. My every day is Dewars 12. I regularly drink regular Dewars when some falls off the airplane...er, truck.

But there are so many better single malts for that price. Tons.

TC
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This nails, it...

it is a good blend, but over $100 for a blend is silly.....

If you want a cheaper alternative, try dewars 12.... also a blend, about $30 a bottle, and while not as good as blue label, a MUCH better value......
View Quote
Thank you. And, D12 comes in 55 gal drums.  Well, I WISH it did.

TC
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lol not even close.

I'll take a bottle of Caol Ila 12 or a Lavagulin 16 over JW blue all day.
View Quote
I just got a bottle of Caol Ila on impulse. I’m not a peaty fan but this was just right. I will be back for more.

TC
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

As a newbie to scotch/whiskey....what am I going to notice about a single malt vs. a blend?

Thanks
View Quote
Try a few. You’ll know when you have “arrived”.

TC
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There’s no reason to drink blended scotch.

Ever.

Spend $5 on a Glencairn glass, lose the ice and water, shave the palms of your hands and enjoy God’s gift to a gentleman.
View Quote
Odd... I feel mildly insulted, yet warm and fuzzy at the same time.

Well said, Sir!

TC
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Meh, I don't like batches with consistent flavors.  I prefer each bottle to be a bit unique.  I guess there's a McDonalds crowd that thinks differently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are also plenty of blends to choose from for varying tastes.

"De gustibus non est disputandum"

But by insulting those who happen to like blends on occasion I think you're proving the article's point.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I kind of think that’s the point many are making.

The guy taking a picture of his blue label, noveske, and Rolex with his G wagon is not going to be having a better drinking experience than the guy with a $70 bottle of scotch, hitting anything more than the guy with the Colt,  beating his watch any harder than the guy with a Seiko Diver, or driving anywhere the guy with the TRD Pro 4Runner is.

He is likely making a point to define his status as different than that guy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#32]
MacCallan 18 isn't worth that, and it's 10x the whiskey as JWB
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you even monkey shoulder bro
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve been drinking Blue for decades and it’s not worth it.  When I was in my late 20s, in the 90s, there was not a lot of high end choices or quality choices.  Now, there are plenty of offerings st that price that are much much better.

The Blue is good, smooth and smoky.  But I would not put it on a pedestal like I used to.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#35]
My lovely new bride got me this for our wedding

Attachment Attached File

So I had to buy these to keep it comfortable

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Haven't tried them yet, other than the 21, but I have high hopes.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There are also plenty of blends to choose from for varying tastes.

"De gustibus non est disputandum"

But by insulting those who happen to like blends on occasion I think you're proving the article's point.
View Quote
I'm happy to be a self-proclaimed scotch snob.  Hey, I know my booze and like what I like.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Op, do yourself a favor and take that same money to get a bottle of Macallan 18.
View Quote
I've seen JWB priced 2-3x as much per serving at multiple fancy restaurants vs. Mac 18.  Just goes to show you how powerful the marketing is.  It's priced that way because people are paying it.  I've had access to multiple bottles in that price range and the JWB was damn near last place for me.  Most of the others with me felt the same, and some of them were VERY surprised by it.  Like others have said, I'm not going to turn it down, but to me it is a very poor value.

Overall my liquor sweet spot seems to be about $60 for nice bottles.  I'm just not fancy enough or a frequent enough drinker to really appreciate much above that, and I'm perfectly fine with that.  My favorite red wine costs $15 a bottle, and I'm perfectly happy drinking Guinness if it's beer time.  I consider this all a blessing.  More money for ammo.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've seen JWB priced 2-3x as much per serving at multiple fancy restaurants vs. Mac 18.  Just goes to show you how powerful the marketing is.  It's priced that way because people are paying it.  I've had access to multiple bottles in that price range and the JWB was damn near last place for me.  Most of the others with me felt the same, and some of them were VERY surprised by it.  Like others have said, I'm not going to turn it down, but to me it is a very poor value.

Overall my liquor sweet spot seems to be about $60 for nice bottles.  I'm just not fancy enough or a frequent enough drinker to really appreciate much above that, and I'm perfectly fine with that.  My favorite red wine costs $15 a bottle, and I'm perfectly happy drinking Guinness if it's beer time.  I consider this all a blessing.  More money for ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's some very very nice bottles in the $60 range. I pretty much never get anything over $70, and at that price I'm getting Tamdhu cask strength which is IMO better than Glengoyne 25 which is $300 (and still an amazing Scotch).

As I mentioned before I drink a lot of Naked Grouse lately, which is $30 and a blended malt (made up of a few different single malts including Macallan, but 100% barley). It's the best deal going right now if those that like sweeter Scotches.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There's some very very nice bottles in the $60 range. I pretty much never get anything over $70, and at that price I'm getting Tamdhu cask strength which is IMO better than Glengoyne 25 which is $300 (and still an amazing Scotch).

As I mentioned before I drink a lot of Naked Grouse lately, which is $30 and a blended malt (made up of a few different single malts including Macallan, but 100% barley). It's the best deal going right now if those that like sweeter Scotches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting recommendation. I also drink Black Grouse when I'm not drinking Monkey Shoulder, a rye, or the odd single malt. Since the basic 12 year single malts have reached $60 in my jurisdiction it's a more rare event than it once was.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Interesting recommendation. I also drink Black Grouse when I'm not drinking Monkey Shoulder, a rye, or the odd single malt. Since the basic 12 year single malts have reached $60 in my jurisdiction it's a more rare event than it once was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the black grouse like?

If you like the sweeter ones you may want to give Naked Grouse a try.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It reminds me a little bit of what Johnny Walker Black used to be, but a little bit richer flavor wise and maybe not as smooth. I like it but I prefer Monkey Shoulder as a daily drinker.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Never had blue label. I am not a Scotch drinker but I had black label once and it was like drinking velvet. I have a bottle of it for some future special occasion.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It reminds me a little bit of what Johnny Walker Black used to be, but a little bit richer flavor wise and maybe not as smooth. I like it but I prefer Monkey Shoulder as a daily drinker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might give it a shot. I like to have something around that isn't as sweet when I feel like that. Usually it's Oban.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Drinking Green Label right now as a matter of fact. Don’t think Blue Label is worth $200 price tag, but Green is acceptable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have never heard of Naked Grouse.  I have enjoyed Famous Grouse as a low cost solid drinking scotch.  Is there a relation?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have never heard of Naked Grouse.  I have enjoyed Famous Grouse as a low cost solid drinking scotch.  Is there a relation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, same company. It's their blended malt line where famous grouse is a blend
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#47]
JW blue is overpriced for what it is. Black is decent if you just want a smoky drinking scotch to pour over rocks and toss back a few to get a nice buzz, but definitely not what I'd pick up to taste and enjoy.

Start with sampling a few different single malts from each of the different regions. Learn how to drink them to extract the most flavors (hint:it starts with the nose). Figure out what type of flavor profiles you like. Balvenie 14 Caribbean, Glenlivet 18, Bunnahabbhain 12 or 18 (terrific values BTW), Macallan 18, or Glenfiddich 14 are all very accessible single malts that can be had reasonably. Younger scotches of a particular distillery can tend to have a slightly harsher flavor profile, whereas a good mid-aged scotch will give you a smooth drinking, enjoyable yet affordable experience.

Once you know what you like and have developed a sense of taste, start dipping into cask strengths and more interesting and robust flavor profiles from some of your favorite distillers, in addition to some of the standard offerings with more complex, rich profiles.

My go-to at this point Lagavulin 16, neat. Nose and sip to taste, then add in few draws of a full-bodied cigar to bring out the flavors that get muted a bit behind the peat.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

yup, same company. It's their blended malt line where famous grouse is a blend
View Quote
I will keep an eye open for that.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#49]
My son has tried it and says it's great but not worth the price of admission.

He also said that it's almost too smooth.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#50]
FPNI.

I vastly prefer Johnnie Green, followed by Double Black. Blue is fine, but I wouldn't pay a premium over those other two.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top