Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked it well enough , but it was IMO a middle of the road late 70s gritty drama with a superhero sticker slapped on it .

But I can see how many people lost their minds over it considering that most anything comparable to it is either extremely niche or is over 30-40 years old

soto a couple generations raised on sequels and franchises it is wildly different and refreshing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just watched it 2 hours ago... I thought it sucked terribly...
I liked it well enough , but it was IMO a middle of the road late 70s gritty drama with a superhero sticker slapped on it .

But I can see how many people lost their minds over it considering that most anything comparable to it is either extremely niche or is over 30-40 years old

soto a couple generations raised on sequels and franchises it is wildly different and refreshing
I think Uncut Gems was more disturbing because of how realistic it could be. Or probably is for some people.

For me Joker still had that disconnect from reality that made it entertaining. Uncut Gems was almost like watching a documentary made from found footage.

Sandler was excellent in it, BTW. Don't go expecting Happy Gilmore or Grown Ups Sandler.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Really good.  Also I like the fact that everything in the movie might not have actually happened and it’s just the Joker lying about his past like he always does.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
OP has never seen Kids.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
King of Comedy is FAR better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is The Taxi Driver warmed over.
With a plot "borrowed" from The King of Comedy.
King of Comedy is FAR better.
I always thought The Taxi Driver was trash. Never Seen King of Comedy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Requiem for a Dream
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think Uncut Gems was more disturbing because of how realistic it could be. Or probably is for some people.

For me Joker still had that disconnect from reality that made it entertaining. Uncut Gems was almost like watching a documentary made from found footage.

Sandler was excellent in it, BTW. Don't go expecting Happy Gilmore or Grown Ups Sandler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just watched it 2 hours ago... I thought it sucked terribly...

I keep hearing good things about that, and the trailers look good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree.  I’m a huge fan of cinema and own probably north of 10000 titles (not a typo). Joker is one of the most disturbing movies I’ve ever seen. What gets to me more is the public reception to it as if it’s a run-of-the-mill super hero film and the way Joker is elevated to a folk hero. There’s also a very strong us/them, poor/rich,  disenfranchised/wealthy theme that’s being embraced by people...kind of like the irony of urban youths hero worshipping Tony Montana from Scarface. Though I felt the movie was brilliantly done, Joke is likely to become the poster boy for ANTIFA.
View Quote
Uhhh... have you watched all those?  That’s over 7 years watching movies for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I’m impressed
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP has never seen Kids.
View Quote
OP owns the DVD.

Really.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Boring movie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ll wait for it to come out on Netflix or some other streaming app I already have
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:35:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I get that it was disturbing but the most disturbing movie I've seen probably ever is Uncut Gems.

I saw earlier this week and as soon as the credits rolled myself and another person in the theater both let out a quiet sigh of, "Fuuuuu....."
View Quote
Funny you say that, my wife hates gritty, fucked up movies especially with losers as the hero, and we saw the trailer for Uncut Gems last week, she looked at me when it was over and said “Um...yeah? No, thanks!” Lol...
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Just watched it last night. I liked it, but nobody in a hundred years is going to best Heath Ledger's Joker.

And it was nowhere near the most disturbing I've seen. I mean, I've seen Gummo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Requiem for a Dream
View Quote
Caveat, unless we're talking wtf did I just watch, in which case I'd answer Freddy Got Fingered.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:41:06 AM EDT
[#15]
But... but many here said it was the best lie ever made, deserving of award after award, totally awesome flick...

I personally said it was shit & disturbing AF.

Well, well, well.

It sucked & was a shit movie that showed idolization of a schizophrenic sociopath.

Quoted:
Joaquin Phoenix put on an amazing performance.
View Quote
I thought it wa meh & mostly forced.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just watched it last night. I liked it, but nobody in a hundred years is going to best Heath Ledger's Joker.

And it was nowhere near the most disturbing I've seen. I mean, I've seen Gummo.
View Quote
Joker was the prequel to Heath Ledger.

Where did that insanity come from?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OP owns the DVD.

Really.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not a lot of Trainspotting fans in here.
View Quote
Requiem for a Dream is up there, too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP owns the DVD.

Really.
It has a good soundtrack
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It seemed run of the mill to me. A little dark but not disturbing
View Quote
This. Then again I'm not so sure a movie will disturb me. Even gory shit. I mean once you get used to zombies tearing people apart alive.... I get that this is supposed to be psychologically disturbing, but I found myself laughing more than going "oh shit, that's fucked!" Only movie I've seen lately that may have touched me even the slightest was the end of Train to Busan when the dad has to leave his daughter after telling her he'd never leave her again, and she's screaming bloody murder in the locomotive.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trainspotting is a masterpiece of cinematography. Anyone that found it disturbing needs to stay on the teacups at Disneyland.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Watched it tonight.  I didn't really find it that disturbing, or great. Felt like a gritty 70's flick.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool, need to see it.
The Joker isn't a super hero, a folk hero, or any other kind of hero. He's a maniacal, disturbed psychopathy of a villain. One of the most evil of the evil and he loves being that way. He doesn't suffer from his mania, he enjoys and embraces it.
If they captured this, It is a must see.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not a single thing about that movie was scary or creepy. It was cheesier than two dykes with matching yeast infections. Why does this movie always get brought up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch Event Horizon and get back to us
Not a single thing about that movie was scary or creepy. It was cheesier than two dykes with matching yeast infections. Why does this movie always get brought up?
My buddy had me watch it thinking it would freak me out. Nope. Kept looking at me during the parts where they got the messed up visions to see if I was looking away. He even asked after it was over if it fucked me up. Hard no from me dawg.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#25]
He is crazy.  For real crazy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cool, need to see it.
The Joker isn't a super hero, a folk hero, or any other kind of hero. He's a maniacal, disturbed psychopathy of a villain. One of the most evil of the evil and he loves being that way. He doesn't suffer from his mania, he enjoys and embraces it.
If they captured this, It is a must see.
View Quote
They captured it.

Not biggly, but mundane.

Mundane crazy is scary crazy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
My thoughts as well.

Very underwhelming.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
But... but many here said it was the best lie ever made, deserving of award after award, totally awesome flick...

I personally said it was shit & disturbing AF.

Well, well, well.

It sucked & was a shit movie that showed idolization of a schizophrenic sociopath.

I thought it wa meh & mostly forced.
View Quote
You mean like Heath Ledger’s overdone lip licking tick?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Trainspotting is a masterpiece of cinematography. Anyone that found it disturbing needs to stay on the teacups at Disneyland.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found Trainspotting to be a dark comedy. Requiem for a Dream was just depressing. All over that fucking TV. The part where Leto's mom/grandma/whoever going full blown amphetamine psychosis had me laughing like "Dude, what the fuck?"
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:59:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Guess I'll rent it for $5.99

Been wanting to see it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:08:41 AM EDT
[#31]
I thought it was tedious.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Watch Harry Brown.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP has never seen Kids.
View Quote
That was a bit over done. Mid 90's was more accurate to what I remember growing up in a city in that era. Maybe NYC was just that much more fucked up than Saint Louis though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Watch Harry Brown.
View Quote
Harry Brown is an incredible movie. It makes the Death Wish series look like a comedy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:17:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Holy Shit.

It reminded me of "The Shining"

The one with Jack Nicholson.

Damn.

View Quote
Joker ain't shit. Check out Man Bites Dog for something really disturbing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:19:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I love that movie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I thought it was great.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:21:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yeah but no. Dime store Eminem Joker kinda sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He didnt portray the roll of the joker anywhere near as good as Jared Leto. We all know that Leto is the greatest actor of all the Jokers
Yeah but no. Dime store Eminem Joker kinda sucked.
I think he was being fastidious
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Never seen deepthroat. Talk about crazy against your will...
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wtf, it was a comedy
View Quote
This lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Not great, not terrible.

Will the next Batman be in the same vein?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:25:57 AM EDT
[#43]
It's exactly why it's been successful. It breaks away from typical movies/plots. It definitely isn't for everyone but damn does it do a good job of seeing how far the rabbit hole goes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#44]
More disturbing than Kill List about that British soldier?  That movie's pretty messed up, bro.

Quoted:
I get that it was disturbing but the most disturbing movie I've seen probably ever is Uncut Gems.

I saw earlier this week and as soon as the credits rolled myself and another person in the theater both let out a quiet sigh of, "Fuuuuu....."
View Quote
First Safdie brothers movie?  

I think that movie can be best described as a 2-hour assault on the senses. Everyone talks over everyone so you leave every scene exhausted.  Expert filmmaking but exhausting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Once you've watched A Clockwork Orange a few times, it gets kind of silly.

Try reading the book, it's a pain with the silly jargon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More than clockwork orange?
Once you've watched A Clockwork Orange a few times, it gets kind of silly.

Try reading the book, it's a pain with the silly jargon.
au contraire, I found the book easy to follow and thoroughly enjoyed the redemption arc that Kubrick omitted from the film.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#46]
I enjoyed it for the most part.  Great acting.  Great drama.  Some violence.  Definitely not an action movie.  Definitely heavy liberal message.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
More than clockwork orange?
View Quote
Not even close.

OP needs to relax.

I watched Joker a few days ago and thought it was excellent and I wasn't "disturbed" by it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:39:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Coincidently I just watched it for the first time this evening. I liked it.

Watching libtard De Niro get domed w/a Fudd gun was the "piece de resistance."

Oh shit, did I just spoil it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Wife and I will watch it here soon. I've been looking forward to seeing it.

After the kids go to bed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#50]
The finger gun to the head was definitely a nod to Taxi Driver.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top