Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in that scene during that time in north jersey/nyc kids was spot on
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a bit over done. Mid 90's was more accurate to what I remember growing up in a city in that era. Maybe NYC was just that much more fucked up than Saint Louis though.
I was in that scene during that time in north jersey/nyc kids was spot on
ETA: Nevermind I misread. Thought you meant you were an extra.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Loved it.  Saw it twice in the theater and bought the disc.  This was one that Scorsese was talking about when he said films were meant to be seen in theaters.  The score for this film was tremendous and needs to be played at a high volume to get the full effect for this movie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I loved it. Probably the best origin movie. A hero needs a great bad guy. This movie gives us that bad guy.

This version of the joker scares the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wtf, it was a comedy
View Quote
I scared my wife because i was laughing so hard through the movie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I need to see that .

Seems like lots of people in the movie groups I belong to are saying it's comparable to The Joker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get that it was disturbing but the most disturbing movie I've seen probably ever is Uncut Gems.

I saw earlier this week and as soon as the credits rolled myself and another person in the theater both let out a quiet sigh of, "Fuuuuu....."
I need to see that .

Seems like lots of people in the movie groups I belong to are saying it's comparable to The Joker
I just thought it was OK as Sandler's character was so unlikable, no sympathy for him whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thought it was overrated. Not bad but not great
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Im gonna have to agree..... It was uncomfortable at times.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
You obviously haven’t seen Cats
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

NO WHERE near a prequel to Heath Ledger's Joker.

Comparing the two isn't even in the same ball park. I enjoyed the story in Phoenix's Joker, but realistically it could have been titled anything else and it still would have been a good movie about a dysfunctional man who falls farther into psychosis and chaos.

This WAS NOT a Prequel to a real comic Joker or DCU Joker. The key is Phoenix's Joker mental aptitude and the fact that he was severely lacking in that department. Look back at his journals, you can find stills of it online. He can barely spell his name and form a sentence on paper, everything that happened was a coincidence.

The comic version and even Heath Ledger's Joker was ALWAYS a SMART and conniving villain, who stayed 10 steps ahead of Batman in everything he did. If he got caught, for the most part it was planned, like the seen in The Dark Knight, he planned for every eventuality and outcome way ahead of time. Joker is one of Batman's greatest villains due to his psychotic tendencies and his BRAINS. Phoenix's Joker could barely think of a way out of a paper bag, let alone best the worlds greatest detective (Batman).

To reiterate, "Joker" was a good movie, but I wouldn't call it a prequel to the Joker story line we all know from the comics and previous movie iterations we have already seen. Merely, a movie about a man who loses it all and has nowhere left to go.
View Quote
That’s my only knock on the character.  Not really a criminal “mastermind”.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I loved it. Probably the best origin movie. A hero needs a great bad guy. This movie gives us that bad guy.

View Quote
Why is this the bad guy?

Haven't watched it (yet) but I thought he was mainly going after scumbags who pretty much deserved it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#11]
If Joker is the most disturbing movie you've ever seen you must not watch many movies.

Kids?
Gummo?
House of 1000 corpses?
Saw?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why is this the bad guy?

Haven't watched it (yet) but I thought he was mainly going after scumbags who pretty much deserved it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is this the bad guy?

Nope.

He doesn't kill too many people, and the ones does kill, he pretty much does just for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nope.

He doesn't kill too many people, and the ones does kill, he pretty much does just for shits and giggles.
View Quote
Ah......so he is a psychopath...…..thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#14]
if you think that mild film was the most disturbing you have ever seen then you have lived a narrow sheltered film life and have never seen any real exploitation films

I could introduce you to a few that makes Joker look like a kids film

It was the best film of 2019 though, no doubt about that
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I forgot all about Kids. That movie was super fucked up.

Requiem For a Dream is up there too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

This isn't news to you, is it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He didnt portray the roll of the joker anywhere near as good as Jared Leto. We all know that Leto is the greatest actor of all the Jokers
View Quote
You spelled Heath Ledger wrong.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It seemed run of the mill to me. A little dark but not disturbing
View Quote
This. Great movie and Joaquin Phoenix was the perfect choice for it but I don’t see it as that overall creepy.

It fits exactly in to the mystique that has always surrounded Jokers origin story
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cool, need to see it.
The Joker isn't a super hero, a folk hero, or any other kind of hero. He's a maniacal, disturbed psychopathy of a villain. One of the most evil of the evil and he loves being that way. He doesn't suffer from his mania, he enjoys and embraces it.
If they captured this, It is a must see.
View Quote
I think they did. Thought it was great. Reminded me of the first time I saw Taxi Driver but Joker was more disturbing. IMHO if your a movie fan it's a must see.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#20]
It was pretty dark imo. The weird turning point for the movie was when you realize the neighbor chic was just a manifestation. For what ever reason she gave you a slight reason to give him any kind of normalcy even though something was off about it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nope.

View Quote
While not justified, they certainly weren’t for “shits and giggles”. Every single one “wronged” him.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You obviously haven’t seen Cats
View Quote
Thank you for your service. lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
While not justified, they certainly weren’t for “shits and giggles”. Every single one “wronged” him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not a single thing about that movie was scary or creepy. It was cheesier than two dykes with matching yeast infections. Why does this movie always get brought up?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Everyone is the hero of their own story.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wow!   I have a friend who bought one of every title in the early years of DVDs.  He bought tons of DVDs for about a decade.   He spent an incredible amount of money on a collection that he says is worthless now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree.  I’m a huge fan of cinema and own probably north of 10000 titles (not a typo). Joker is one of the most disturbing movies I’ve ever seen. What gets to me more is the public reception to it as if it’s a run-of-the-mill super hero film and the way Joker is elevated to a folk hero. There’s also a very strong us/them, poor/rich,  disenfranchised/wealthy theme that’s being embraced by people...kind of like the irony of urban youths hero worshipping Tony Montana from Scarface. Though I felt the movie was brilliantly done, Joke is likely to become the poster boy for ANTIFA.
Wow!   I have a friend who bought one of every title in the early years of DVDs.  He bought tons of DVDs for about a decade.   He spent an incredible amount of money on a collection that he says is worthless now.
I’ve never regretted my collection and have made arrangements to leave it to my kids and a public library. I sold all but a few DVD copies and have most stuff on blu-ray and 4k, as well as film prints and digital copies. I made a decision. About 23 years back not to drink regularly, to eat lunches that I pack, and to drive paid-off vehicles into the ground.  I spent the money I saved on my home, movies, and a pretty good firearm collection of German and Swiss guns, silenced guns and machine guns. As a lawyer, I don’t read allot for recreation because I read/write all day. I don’t watch sitcoms or network tv. Movies are a shared passion between me and my family. Expensive, but a good investment that’s paid off with quality family time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Which is funny because many saw the same movie and thought it was an incitement to violence by right wing white males.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree.  I’m a huge fan of cinema and own probably north of 10000 titles (not a typo). Joker is one of the most disturbing movies I’ve ever seen. What gets to me more is the public reception to it as if it’s a run-of-the-mill super hero film and the way Joker is elevated to a folk hero. There’s also a very strong us/them, poor/rich,  disenfranchised/wealthy theme that’s being embraced by people...kind of like the irony of urban youths hero worshipping Tony Montana from Scarface. Though I felt the movie was brilliantly done, Joke is likely to become the poster boy for ANTIFA.
Which is funny because many saw the same movie and thought it was an incitement to violence by right wing white males.
Yep. The reason for that is because the movie held up a mirror to the mentally ill Left dependent on the redistribution of weakly from conservatives. The media couldn’t handle its pets being criticized. In reality, it’s a flat out indictment on general disenfranchisement and devaluation of human stock due inaccessibility for health care or opportunity causing a crippling feeling of worthlessness that gets filled with violent resentment.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Uhhh... have you watched all those?  That’s over 7 years watching movies for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I’m impressed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhhh... have you watched all those?  That’s over 7 years watching movies for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I’m impressed
Insomnia is a bitch....but seriously, no, I haven’t watched all of them. When I have time off, I tend to go out with family and watch two movies after everyone goes to bed. Still, I’ve got lots that need to be watch. Also, I own allot of catalogue (older) titles, so I don’t buy a great deal anymore except for really impressive current stuff (Joker, Ad Astra,  Midway and 1917 are on preorder)
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive never seen The Shining but I have heard it referenced all my life.

I watched the newest joker and thought it was good. My wife thought it was retarded. But we did watch the first half and watched the last half a week later.

I should give it another try with no breaks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Watch Event Horizon and get back to us
View Quote
God dammit. Gonna have nightmares tonight. Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
That one is subjective, and I honestly don’t know. It could be that he sees her as an oppressor, or the footprints may have been only  in his mind.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think Uncut Gems was more disturbing because of how realistic it could be. Or probably is for some people.

For me Joker still had that disconnect from reality that made it entertaining. Uncut Gems was almost like watching a documentary made from found footage.

Sandler was excellent in it, BTW. Don't go expecting Happy Gilmore or Grown Ups Sandler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just watched it 2 hours ago... I thought it sucked terribly...
I liked it well enough , but it was IMO a middle of the road late 70s gritty drama with a superhero sticker slapped on it .

But I can see how many people lost their minds over it considering that most anything comparable to it is either extremely niche or is over 30-40 years old

soto a couple generations raised on sequels and franchises it is wildly different and refreshing
I think Uncut Gems was more disturbing because of how realistic it could be. Or probably is for some people.

For me Joker still had that disconnect from reality that made it entertaining. Uncut Gems was almost like watching a documentary made from found footage.

Sandler was excellent in it, BTW. Don't go expecting Happy Gilmore or Grown Ups Sandler.
I just read the wiki on this movie. DAMN! I need to watch this flic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I thought it was tedious.
View Quote
That's the word I was looking for.

Watch 15 minutes of it - pause and check out GD - watch 15 more minutes - pause and vacuum the house - ...

It was horribly tedious. I thought the last 10 minutes were okay, though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Once you've watched A Clockwork Orange a few times, it gets kind of silly.

Try reading the book, it's a pain with the silly jargon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More than clockwork orange?
Once you've watched A Clockwork Orange a few times, it gets kind of silly.

Try reading the book, it's a pain with the silly jargon.
Me droogs disagree.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After watching real life screwed up videos I doubt any movie would disturb me. I could feel uncomfortable by the idea of it though. I've yet to watch this as I felt by the previews that it would be lacking compared to Heath's performance. Maybe I will go see it now and just be prepared for a different type of joker. I personally didn't care for Leto's joker he just seemed crazy without a purpose and IMHO Joker is always crazy but there is reason for his crazy and it takes you somewhere other than just chaos. Harley Quinn is the only reason that Suicide Squad went over well and is the reason that they are making another movie with her in it.
View Quote
Watch "a Serbian film"  or "cannibal holocaust".  If they dont disturb you, you need help.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I liked it, but I also like films where the main character's cheese slowly slides off his cracker. Natural born killers is another that I thought was good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Watch "a Serbian film"  or "cannibal holocaust".  If they dont disturb you, you need help.
View Quote
I was wondering when those would come up.

Serbian Film is some weapons grade disturbing cinema.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I liked it, but I also like films where the main character's cheese slowly slides off his cracker. Natural born killers is another that I thought was good.
View Quote
I thought that was a great movie.

My favorite scene is when Mallory Knox fistfights that dude in the diner.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That one is subjective, and I honestly don’t know. It could be that he sees her as an oppressor, or the footprints may have been only  in his mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
I think that's the only one we know actually happened, even if it's only implied.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just watched it about an hour ago (joker, not that lame ass shining )

Agreed , creepy as shit
View Quote
Didn't see Joker yet. The Shining sucked. FJN.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It seemed run of the mill to me. A little dark but not disturbing
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think that's the only one we know actually happened, even if it's only implied.
View Quote
Of course, but I’m simply referring to his motivations, even if it was just fantasy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

"a Serbian film"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"a Serbian film"
I don't like knowing that this one exists.

Quoted:

"cannibal holocaust"
Meh, it's just gore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#46]
i didn't find it creepy at all, but it was annoyingly predictable
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#47]
What the fuck...most disturbing some weak ass people.  Good novie though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#48]
If you want to see mental illness in real life, read some of the articles about the movie-

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/06/opinions/joker-political-parable-donald-trump-presidency-yang/index.html

"Joker," at its core, is the story of the "forgotten man," the metaphoric displaced and disenfranchised white man whose goodwill has been abused and whose status has been reduced. A man who has been crushed underfoot by the elite, dragged down by equality-demanding feminists and climbed over by upstart nonwhite and immigrant masses.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Fanstastic character study. You learn everything about the man from birth to present and none of it seemed forced into the script. The off que laughter in the comedy club is a good example. Makes you realise the dude that spent his life trying to make people laugh can't even experience humor, an absolute zero of a man.

Most of the movies I see it being compared to are just shock the senses type movies and not near as deep a study as this thing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Robert DeNeedledick, gonna pass.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top