Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Read the case. Alot of the court’s justification was REALLY stretching SCOTUS rulings
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow.

That shit should be excluded. They were planning on apply for a warrant but did the raid prior to getting it? If none of the already numerous exemptions to the 4th Amendment applied there is no way the fruit of that search should be admissible.

Interestingly enough, in the book I'm reading, there was a discussion about the line of cases during the Warren Court (Gideon, Miranda, Terry) and how a number of conservatives hated those decisions and over time they're getting watered down, to the point where they eventually might become meaningless.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that’s some fucked up shit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I heard it was because the OP was drinking.

https://i.imgur.com/o87jT2a.png

PDF of court decision: https://tinylink.net/ibwnB

Justia Opinion Summary

"Arrested on drug conspiracy charges, Hardy led DEA agents to his drugs and guns and provided information that Hardy purchased methamphetamine from Huskisson six times over the preceding five months, for $8,000 per pound, at Huskisson’s house and at his car lot. Huskisson had stated that Huskisson’s source expected a shipment of methamphetamine the next day. Hardy called Huskisson. Agents recorded that conversation. Huskisson agreed to deliver 10-12 pounds of methamphetamine. The next day, the two agreed during additional recorded calls that the deal was to occur at Huskisson’s home that night. Agent Cline followed Hardy to Huskisson’s house; watched Hardy enter, with an entry team on standby; and saw a car pull into the driveway. Two men exited the car with a cooler and entered the house. Minutes later, Hardy walked outside and gave a prearranged signal to indicate he had seen methamphetamine in the house. No search warrant had yet been issued.

The entry team entered the house and arrested Huskisson, who refused to consent to a search of his residence, and the other men. Officers saw in plain sight an open cooler with 10 saran-wrapped packages of a substance which field tested positive for methamphetamine. DEA agents then filed the warrant application, which stated: “The law enforcement officers observed an open cooler with ten saran wrapped packages that contained suspected methamphetamine. The suspected methamphetamine later field tested positive for the presence of methamphetamine.” The warrant issued four hours after the initial entry. The Seventh Circuit upheld denial of a motion to suppress. The entry was unlawful. Ordinarily, the evidence would be excluded but because the government had so much other evidence of probable cause, and had already planned to apply for a warrant, the evidence is admissible. Though the government should not profit from its bad behavior, neither should it be placed in a worse position."

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca7/18-1335/18-1335-2019-06-05.html
View Quote
I’ll just demand a new job/raise now. I mean, I already plan to apply for a MS/PhD
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I would hope that the decision would be overturned on appeal.  As I read the original post, it was a circuit judge that made the decision, so there should be a higher court that the case could be appealed to.

If the precedent that "we were going to apply for a warrant" becomes acceptable, it could be applied to things like "I was going to apply for a drivers license", "I was going to apply for a building permit", "I was going to pay for it", "I was going to turn those drugs in to the police", etc, etc.  The precedent of "I was going to" would be devastating to all sorts of other cases.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would hope that the decision would be overturned on appeal.  As I read the original post, it was a circuit judge that made the decision, so there should be a higher court that the case could be appealed to.

If the precedent that "we were going to apply for a warrant" becomes acceptable, it could be applied to things like "I was going to apply for a drivers license", "I was going to apply for a building permit", "I was going to pay for it", "I was going to turn those drugs in to the police", etc, etc.  The precedent of "I was going to" would be devastating to all sorts of other cases.
View Quote
It doesn't work that way for serfs, only for the king's men.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was going to pay for a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm betting the phrase "inevitable discovery" is in that decision somewhere.

They had more than enough to get a warrant prior to going in. Nothing from the search changed that.
View Quote
"Show me the man, and I'll show you the crime.” – Lavrentiy Beria
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Two hours if you take the time to warm up the ol' IBM Selectric typewriter. eWarrants or telephone calls can handle that process within minutes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  Depending on how fast the detective can type and how good their go-by is (and if the judge is awake) it should've taken about two hours from start to finish.
Two hours if you take the time to warm up the ol' IBM Selectric typewriter. eWarrants or telephone calls can handle that process within minutes.
I was being generous. We don't do the ewarrants much here. Telephonics for anything more than DUI's have only really picked up in the past year or so. Particularly for rural counties. We just started a program where Maricopa judges will take telephonic SW's for rural county agencies
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I quit reading after "On this point, Detective Kinney gave conflicting testimony..."

...and will never be prosecuted for perjury.

Quoted:

If they had probable cause why not get a warrant?

The full story is the police acted illegally and are rewarded for it. This is where police should be sent to jail.
View Quote
When you call DEA agents "police", you insult 3/4 of a million real cops in this country.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"Arrested on drug conspiracy charges, Hardy led DEA agents to his drugs and guns and provided information that Hardy purchased methamphetamine from Huskisson six times over the preceding five months, for $8,000 per pound, at Huskisson’s house and at his car lot. Huskisson had stated that Huskisson’s source expected a shipment of methamphetamine the next day. Hardy called Huskisson. Agents recorded that conversation. Huskisson agreed to deliver 10-12 pounds of methamphetamine. The next day, the two agreed during additional recorded calls that the deal was to occur at Huskisson’s home that night. Agent Cline followed Hardy to Huskisson’s house; watched Hardy enter, with an entry team on standby; and saw a car pull into the driveway. Two men exited the car with a cooler and entered the house. Minutes later, Hardy walked outside and gave a prearranged signal to indicate he had seen methamphetamine in the house. No search warrant had yet been issued.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca7/18-1335/18-1335-2019-06-05.html
View Quote
So, they set up a controlled buy with their newly minted CI.
The CI went in, saw drugs, didn't buy them, but everybody saw guys going in with an empty cooler to fill it with the drugs, so they made an exigent circumstances raid to seize the drugs before they were removed from the building?

Why doesn't this fall under existing exemptions to the warrant requirement?
Would it have been exempt if they had actually given the money to the CI to complete the deal and he walked out with drugs?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What if they did an undercover buy in his front yard and when the deal was made and they tried to arrest him he then got away and ran back in his house and locked the door?  Would your opinion change if they chased him in the house and happened to see a pile of meth on his table while arresting him?  I could be way off base but I hope I’m not because if so, this is pretty bad.  And I haven’t read the fine print so who knows.  I’m just saying I think there’s more to the story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well what’s the fucking point of having laws then?
What if they did an undercover buy in his front yard and when the deal was made and they tried to arrest him he then got away and ran back in his house and locked the door?  Would your opinion change if they chased him in the house and happened to see a pile of meth on his table while arresting him?  I could be way off base but I hope I’m not because if so, this is pretty bad.  And I haven’t read the fine print so who knows.  I’m just saying I think there’s more to the story.
Then it wouldn't be an unlawful entry. The opinion is calling the entry unlawful.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The CI went in, saw drugs, didn't buy them, but everybody saw guys going in with an empty cooler to fill it with the drugs, so they made an exigent circumstances raid to seize the drugs before they were removed from the building?

Would it have been exempt if they had actually given the money to the CI to complete the deal and he walked out with drugs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Arrested on drug conspiracy charges, Hardy led DEA agents to his drugs and guns and provided information that Hardy purchased methamphetamine from Huskisson six times over the preceding five months, for $8,000 per pound, at Huskisson's house and at his car lot. Huskisson had stated that Huskisson's source expected a shipment of methamphetamine the next day. Hardy called Huskisson. Agents recorded that conversation. Huskisson agreed to deliver 10-12 pounds of methamphetamine. The next day, the two agreed during additional recorded calls that the deal was to occur at Huskisson's home that night. Agent Cline followed Hardy to Huskisson's house; watched Hardy enter, with an entry team on standby; and saw a car pull into the driveway. Two men exited the car with a cooler and entered the house. Minutes later, Hardy walked outside and gave a prearranged signal to indicate he had seen methamphetamine in the house. No search warrant had yet been issued.

Wouldve been easier to take the cooler guys off with a t-stop and write that into the warrant.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#17]
First, for the love of this country, second, as a retired Police Detective, I'm praying this gets overturned, that this decision, this wrong, gets righted.

And I pray the/those judges get tossed as well, the sooner the better.

We are doomed otherwise if this becomes standard.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Funny how the men we task with upholding the rule of law are constantly tearing it down themselves. Why do we as a society constantly have to restrain our police forces through the courts, when the very role we delegate to them is to maintain the rule of law? Frankly the criminal behavior of the police is far more dangerous to the rule of law and our freedoms than the criminals they arrest, except for certain criminals in government who also use their power to undermine the rule of law.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Funny how the men we task with upholding the rule of law are constantly tearing it down themselves. Why do we as a society constantly have to restrain our police forces through the courts, when the very role we delegate to them is to maintain the rule of law? Frankly the criminal behavior of the police is far more dangerous to the rule of law and our freedoms than the criminals they arrest, except for certain criminals in government who also use their power to undermine the rule of law.
View Quote
That's a nice summary imo.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#21]
This is nothing new, and has been going on for decades. From the decision:

Relevant here is the independent source doctrine, which holds that illegally obtained evidence is admissible if the government also obtains that evidence via an independent legal source, like a warrant. See Murray v. United States, 487 U.S. 533, 542 (1988) (allowing the admission of evidence found in plain sight during an illegal entry that was later ob-tained legally); Segura v. United States, 468 U.S. 796, 814 (1984) (allowing the admission of evidence found in a home that was first entered illegally, but later entered based on a search war-rant “wholly unconnected” to the initial, illegal entry).
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’d need more info before developing an opinion
View Quote
I don't. No warrant at the time of raid. That's all that matters.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's a big nope for me dog.

You either obey the law or don't.

When you don't you don't get to profit from breaking the law.

Judge is wrong and needs to be hung.

He's the absolute worst kind of government functionary, one that will fuck you so the government wins, even when it's wrong.

That judge is shitting on all of us.

I hope he gets cancer and it hurts  a lot till he dies.
View Quote
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Relevant here is the independent source doctrine, which holds that illegally obtained evidence is admissible if the government also obtains that evidence via an independent legal source, like a warrant. See Murray v. United States, 487 U.S. 533, 542 (1988) (allowing the admission of evidence found in plain sight during an illegal entry that was later ob-tained legally); Segura v. United States, 468 U.S. 796, 814 (1984) (allowing the admission of evidence found in a home that was first entered illegally, but later entered based on a search war-rant “wholly unconnected” to the initial, illegal entry).
View Quote
This is what I love about the law.  It's such sublime BS.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We are either a land of laws or we are not. Which is it?
View Quote
And that is the only question that matters.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Getting ready to start no knock gun owners hoping to round up all those deadly bump stocks that are now illegal
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#27]
The very opposite conclusion from what they should have reached. Unless there was an imminent threat etc... sounds like there wasnt.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#28]
They did not mean to violate your rights so it is ok. Just like HRC and her ilk did not mean to undermine the law of this nation about protecting and maintaining classified information, they were just unsophisticated.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
National security? If not, very disturbing......
View Quote
National security shouldn't matter. I know CA has abused constitutional law for decades, but you should stop sipping the coolaide.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The DEA rounding up a search warrant “wholly unrelated” to the drugs in the same house would be a stretch.  But I wouldn’t put it past the home or parallel construction to try.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Th War on Drugs The Constitution continues apace.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For what it's worth, two of the three judges that made this unanimous ruling were Trump appointees.
View Quote
Yeah, trying to connect this clusterfuck to the DNC is a real stretch.

Many, if not most, putative conservatives are 100% fine with this way of doing things (force entry, get warrant later) because drugs, and because gotta trust the police.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#33]
the judge, le, and anyone involved should lose their jobs over this

bs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
So we spy on you or otherwise gather evidence illegally, then we get a warrant using our illegal intel and then we find what we already found.

Yeah that’s perfectly fine, because a court said so.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are either a land of laws or we are not. Which is it?
agree
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That’s bullshit
View Quote
I has to be the basis of an appeal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's the most retarded thing I've read in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm betting the phrase "inevitable discovery" is in that decision somewhere.

They had more than enough to get a warrant prior to going in. Nothing from the search changed that.

That's the most retarded thing I've read in this thread.
Well, except for the decision itself.  This just boils it down to two short sentences.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The case name is USA v.    Paul Huskisson

The decision was based on Supreme Court precedence and the independent source doctrine. Which is a type of inevitable discovery
View Quote
*precedents

Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You didn't know?  This is the New 4th Amendment:

It's a better practice that the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.  Void if prohibited by law somewhat inconvenient to the government so long as the government had a passing thought (or not) about maybe asking for a Warrant.
View Quote
FIFY.

I don't think I can hit the "I believe" button that the DEA ever did actually intend to apply for that warrant.  Until they were called out on the lack of one of course.

This one should go back to the trial court, with the evidence illegally obtained evidence excluded.  If the gov wins again without it on the strength of the alleged PC, then fine, but it needs to be put back in front of a fresh jury, not a thought exercise for a couple judges.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Holy shit that’s some juicy fruit.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#41]
The Free man........
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow..........................
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Th War on Drugs The Constitution continues apace.
View Quote
It's a government jobs program so its primary goal is to provide jobs and benefits.  The secondary goal is the destruction of the bill of rights.  It has offered all sorts of reach around benefits to the government.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#44]
The defending attorney could turn this whole thing on its head by arguing that "my clients actions involving the manufacture of drugs were illegal but admissible your honor, per the precedent set forth by the DEA and the judge who issued the eventual warrant".
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't. No warrant at the time of raid. That's all that matters.
View Quote
That’s all that matters to me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Is there going to be an appeal to scotus?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So, you are just like the DEA!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laws no longer matter.

We're in a post-Constutional period now.

We're essentially at the point where Wiley-E-Coyote has run off the cliff, is hanging in mid-air, and is holding the "help" sign, right before he plummets into the abyss.

Laws that violate the 2nd are willingly enforced daily. Judges and presidents and senators thinking they can ban shit willy-nilly... and not only does NOTHING happen to them, they fucking get re-elected.

I know right from wrong. I also understand the Constitution and what the FF meant by it. I follow the laws i agree with, and ignore those i don't.

Im about to commit multiple breaches of the law when i step off this morning, like i do every morning.

Eat a dick: illegal laws, those that create said laws, those that enforce them, and those that abide by them.

You're not American. Get the fuck out of my country.
So, you are just like the DEA!
By their very nature, contracts are mutually binding, or else they are void.

The concept of ruling by consent of the governed is a myth.  Overwhelming violence is the only power that contemporary American govt has over the people, hence why it has been accelerating its concentration in that area.  Because that's what banana republics do.

Quoted:
Is this some kind of fucking joke!!??
On us, the joke is.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Honk Honk!
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#49]
So armed thugs enter your home with no legal reason and later it's decided that's OK because they could have had a reason.   Anyone who defends themselves..  which they rightfully should..  what do you think the outcome will be?

It'll be treated just like the validity of the evidence in this case.  You'll be treated like you murdered innocent law enforcement conducting a legitimate action.

They don't believe in an individuals right to protect themselves.  You are expected to yield and submit to all home invaders just in case.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Technically, this ruling is correct so long as nothing discovered during the unlawful entry was used to procure the warrant.

The other side of that is that the agents should all be charged criminally for Criminal Trespass and the suspect should sue the DEA.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top