[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The case name is USA v.    Paul Huskisson

The decision was based on Supreme Court precedence and the independent source doctrine. Which is a type of inevitable discovery
*precedents

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/520/073/eb9.jpg
My mistkae.

Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Technically, this ruling is correct so long as nothing discovered during the unlawful entry was used to procure the warrant.

The other side of that is that the agents should all be charged criminally for Criminal Trespass and the suspect should sue the DEA.
View Quote
The decision clearly indicates the evidence obtained w/o warrant would be admitted.  This is exactly the kind of conduct every court should be condemning.  If the SC ever gets this case via cert, it should be reversed with prejudice.  It represents epic bias towards an outcome favorable to the accuser.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The decision clearly indicates the evidence obtained w/o warrant would be admitted.  This is exactly the kind of conduct every court should be condemning.  If the SC ever gets this case via cert, it should be reversed with prejudice.  It represents epic bias towards an outcome favorable to the accuser.
View Quote
It's not whether it was admitted. It clearly was. My point is that if there was probable cause for the warrant prior to their unlawful entry, then the search stands. I'm not advocating for law enforcement malfeasance, but, according to the article, there was overwhelming evidence for the warrant prior to the unlawful entry. Therefore, the unlawful entry and admissibility of the evidence are two separate issues. That's why the evidence should be allowed and the officers should be criminally charged with trespassing for forcibly entering his property without consent. The DEA should also be writing the suspect a very large check.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Technically, this ruling is correct so long as nothing discovered during the unlawful entry was used to procure the warrant.
View Quote
But it was used to procure the warrant.  The warrant listed that they found pounds of drugs that field tested positive for meth.

One of the key issues is that the main cop at the trial said, under cross examination, that they weren't even going to apply for a warrant unless they found drugs.  At a different time he said they would have applied for the warrant either way.  The original court decided to go with the one where he said they would have, and this court stated they couldn't second guess the original court's decision on that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah that isn’t how this works that’s not how any of this works.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was going to pay for a tax stamp.
View Quote
y'all are starting to get the basis of what I was talking about... Another posting that such logic would only work for the king's men, is probably all too true.  Perhaps Supreme Court will remind lower court judges how the law is supposed to work and over turn the stupid decision that says intent is as good as the actual thing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
A warrant is a finding of probable cause. Nothing more.

In order to conduct a search, you don't need a warrant, you need probable cause.

This opinion is stating that the PC existed independently of the warrant, so there is no need to suppress any of the evidence.

It does look bizarre though that they went back afterwards and obtained one.

People don't think search & seizure be like it is but it do.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A warrant is a finding of probable cause. Nothing more.

In order to conduct a search, you don't need a warrant, you need probable cause.

This opinion is stating that the PC existed independently of the warrant, so there is no need to suppress any of the evidence.

It does look bizarre though that they went back afterwards and obtained one.

People don't think search & seizure be like it is but it do.
View Quote
What warrant exception does “we know there is PC let’s not bother?” fall under?
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats fucked up.

Judge: “So what do you want a search warrant for?”

Police: “Well all of the stuff we found, DUH!!!”
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thats fucked up.

Judge: “So what do you want a search warrant for?”

Police: “Well all of the stuff we found, DUH!!!”
View Quote
With all the "metadata" they collect using the internet and cell phones I am fairly certain they can retroactively come up with probable cause for anyone at any time they might want to.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

With all the "metadata" they collect using the internet and cell phones I am fairly certain they can retroactively come up with probable cause for anyone at any time they might want to.
View Quote
Except that isn't metadata, it's actual data.  But metadata is such a nice confusing word that people don't really understand.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's not whether it was admitted. It clearly was. My point is that if there was probable cause for the warrant prior to their unlawful entry, then the search stands. I'm not advocating for law enforcement malfeasance, but, according to the article, there was overwhelming evidence for the warrant prior to the unlawful entry. Therefore, the unlawful entry and admissibility of the evidence are two separate issues. That's why the evidence should be allowed and the officers should be criminally charged with trespassing for forcibly entering his property without consent. The DEA should also be writing the suspect a very large check.
View Quote
Then get a warrant.  There is no exigence argument presented here.  They cheated, & were given a pass instead of being excoriated.

No excuses.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Then get a warrant.  There is no exigence argument presented here.  They cheated, & were given a pass instead of being excoriated.

No excuses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No excuses.
Don't have drugs
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No excuses.
View Quote
I don't disagree; however, provided that there was sufficient evidence for the warrant absent what was found during the illegal search, the evidence standing is correct. Like I've said though, the agents involved should be disciplined at a minimum and preferably charged. What I have done on numerous occasions is to "freeze the scene" by getting everyone out of the house and securing it while I get my warrant without risk of evidence destruction.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:[/
I don't disagree; however, provided that there was sufficient evidence for the warrant absent what was found during the illegal search, the evidence standing is correct. Like I've said though, the agents involved should be disciplined at a minimum and preferably charged. What I have done on numerous occasions is to "freeze the scene" by getting everyone out of the house and securing it while I get my warrant without risk of evidence destruction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:[/
[b]Quoted:

No excuses.
I’ll hold my breath waiting for the charges.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's fucking insane.
View Quote
Bump for insanity
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Don't have drugs
View Quote
Also, don't grow okra.

Or throw out your used tea leaves.

Or have kitty litter in your car.

Or Tide.

Or cotton candy.

Or donut glaze.

I'm sure there's others I have forgotten.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Just remember, Top Men
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top