Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#1]
However, Senior Circuit Judge Loren A. Smith found that the government's rule fell within a common exception to the Fifth Amendment: property that is confiscated to advance the government's interest in promoting public safety.

"The law is different in this case because the government, as the sovereign, has the power to take property that is dangerous, diseased, or used in criminal activities without compensation," Smith wrote. "Here, ATF acted properly within the confines of the limited federal police power."
View Quote
This is a ruling from someone who doesn't really understand what the constitution is or does.

There is no constitutional exception to the 5th amendment for "public safety". Nor is there a power of eminent domain elsewhere described in that document "for the purpose of public safety."  Eminent domain is referred to only for public use.  How can a taking be for public use something that the government is ordering to be surrendered or destroyed for no use, whatsoever?

As far as "the sovreign" goes... no, that's also completely bass ackwards.  The government doesn't have power as a result of it's "sovreignty."  It has powers by endowment.  It has only those powers it has been given by the people through the written US Constitution.  That's literally the only thing that makes it legitimate.

If the government has the authority to ban guns and order them destroyed with no compensation due to their owners, because of its "limited Federal police power" (limited by what?  Where are these limits described?) then what's to say it can't ban ownership of cars and do exactly the same thing?    If we're just going to say the government can ban anything if the government decides it's dangerous, then there is NO "limit" to what the government may ban.

Fuck this guy.  Mouth-breathing retard.  And that's being generous.  My cynical side thinks he knows he's full of shit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Activist judges have subverted any idea of judicial impartiality.

The legislature is corrupt, the judiciary is corrupt, bureaucrats in the executive agencies are corrupt.

We are just a few heartbeats away from a totalitarian state.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Um, actually never used in a crime. Reports from Vegas actually show there was no bump stock usage.
View Quote
Yes, they were used in the Vegas shooting.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Well they just keep turning the thermostat up one notch at a time and that fucking pot of water is going to eventually boil over...

Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
@nolocontendre
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well they just keep turning the thermostat up one notch at a time and that fucking pot of water is going to eventually boil over...

View Quote
Yah but all the frogs in it will be long dead
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yah but all the frogs in it will be long dead
View Quote
Well I would hope that a lot of us frogs, didn't jump in the pot to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's going to be awkward someday when they push too far and cities across America turn into what Mexico looked like last week.  I don't want that. But I also don't want the worse evil of the Left's absolute tyranny and incoming famine and genocide if they took all power and took our most important rights away.  It's shitty.  Why can't they just stop and not ruin a good thing? ...
View Quote
Because they are protected and won’t / will not need to face those that they have wronged. That is what we have law enforcement for. To make felons out of the law abiding citizens so that the story reads that a “skumbag” got what he deserved when he was shot in his own home.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 6:20:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Democrats / communist always play the long game.
They know that many will not turn their stuff in, but after you pass your children will. Or they will get it when you go into a nursing home. Or as part of your estate.

Same thing with full auto stuff. If no more is being made, the total number will eventually drop to zero.

They are evil and patient. They have been heading down this path for years.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Judges do stupid ruling all the time because they never face repercussion for their bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In no way is that constitutional. At all.
View Quote
But it applies to guns, so it's OK. (wishing for sarcasm font)
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
OP,
The reason many of us “cared” about bump stocks was:
The device meets the definition of semiautomatic fire as ruled by the ATF multiple times;
The Donald, a NON-TECH/NON-GUN guy suddenly declares they’re illegal & he “doesn’t like them” and blamed Obama for allowing them, then banned them;
No remuneration was provided to owners;
Many semiautomatic rifles & pistols can be “bump fired” if they’re help properly, thus any can—in the future—capriciously be declared “machine guns;”

The fact ATF reversed itself again isn’t surprising, they should be called the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco, Explosives & Whimsy.

But the hard fact is that a bumpstock is NOT a machine gun, and isn’t a gun alone, like silencers.  This is like saying the tomato—a fruit, is now a vegetable.  Oh wait, the NY .gov changed this scientific FACT for taxation purposes.

Further, the .gov can ban any item regardless of facts & make you a felon, and not pay you for their whimsy.

If this shit happened with women, gays, or minorities—my tax dollars would be thrown at reimbursement to those slighted snowflakes without regard;  the fact that mostly white men are effected factors into the “no fuqs given” by the .gov.

Any constitutionalists or gun owners who aren’t enraged by this ruling simply do not “get it” and are dangerous to other 2A and constitutionalists.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That needs to be appealed.
View Quote
And that Judge booted with no chance of practicing law, ever.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So where are we on the CoC?
View Quote
Somewhere between "this is a pro-LE website" and "everything's fine."
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gun owners will obey it anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In no way is that constitutional. At all.
Gun owners will obey it anyway.
Not only that but they will snitch on each other while wearing NRA socks, a MAGA hat & a TBL hard on.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Um, actually never used in a crime. Reports from Vegas actually show there was no bump stock usage.
View Quote
@schneecat - stop spreading lies, it does no good to our side to spread misinformation.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:51:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
“Bumpstock?  What’s a bumpstock, Ossifer?”
View Quote
Who, me?
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I find that extremely hard to believe since a number of ARs had one.
View Quote
Every 5.56/.223 AR variant in the hotel room had one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bet he said you can't be reimbursed for contraband and bump stocks are illegal machine guns.
View Quote
It's like expecting reimbursement for a post 86 unregistered DIAS, it isn't happening.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Throw your bumpstock away and just make your AR legit full auto.   Might as well.  Same charge.
View Quote
There's no reason not to now. Would be easier to keep a few coat hanger keychains around.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#25]
@schneecat - here is the report listing all the weapons used and which ones had bumpstocks.

http://www.lvmpd.com/en-us/Documents/1-October-FIT-Criminal-Investigative-Report-FINAL_080318.pdf
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Throw your bumpstock away and just make your AR legit full auto.   Might as well.  Same charge.
View Quote
True but scary
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
However, Senior Circuit Judge Loren A. Smith found that the government's rule fell within a common exception to the Fifth Amendment: property that is confiscated to advance the government's interest in promoting public safety.

"The law is different in this case because the government, as the sovereign, has the power to take property that is dangerous, diseased, or used in criminal activities without compensation," Smith wrote. "Here, ATF acted properly within the confines of the limited federal police power."

A hole so big you could drive a truck through.
View Quote
That's not ambiguous at all
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#28]
The entire fallacy of  forced acceptance of "compensation",  or "buying back" are fake, red herring concepts to paper over acts of confiscation.

If I wanted the cash rather than the firearm I wouldn't have bought it, or I would have chosen to sell it of my own free will.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#29]
They can ban ANYTHING with no reimbursement if it is for "public safety".
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It would be better to keep a DIAS or swiftlink....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

"Bumpstock?  What's a bumpstock, Ossifer?"
It would be better to keep a DIAS or swiftlink....
A machine gun is a machine gun. At that point you might as well drill the third hole.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Forced acceptance of compensation is worse than outright confiscation because it falsely justifies the seizing of legally acquired, constutionally protected property from Americans.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Government didn't "take property". They made the act of possession after a certain date illegal. Nothing more. People voluntarily turned over their property to the government.
View Quote
People keep missing this part. The government doesn't have to compensate you for property you turned over to them. The government also doesn't have to compensate you for stuff you own that they make illegal. For guns, see DC, MD, NY, NJ, CA, MA, etc.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A machine gun is a machine gun. At that point you might as well drill the third hole.
View Quote
Third holes are visible from the outside of a weapon. A DIAS is not, though it does require an M16 FCG to be installed. A DIAC or swiftlink has the additional benefit of working with standard AR15 FCG's and is small enough to fit in a small pocket or cubby when not in use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Scariest ruling I've seen in a long time. Shocked no one cares about this. This has implications far beyond guns.

The Judge doesnt even cite SCOTUS ruling in Horne v. Dept of Agriculture from 2015 that says private property cant be physically taken for any reason.

If the government can take any property they deem dangerous, we have no property rights. This is the first time the federal government has really made people destroy or turn in property. I hope this is appealed or we are all screwed.

https://www.newsweek.com/bump-stock-ban-lawsuit-dismissed-1467834
View Quote
Nope

and nope

I'm sure there are other examples
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What about gold in the early 1930's?

I would imagine that the fed  govt calling in all the gold in circulation would've been a little more alarming than not reimbursing for bump stocks.
View Quote
You did not own gold coins. They were currency of the US Govt. Govt property.
 You don't own the drivers license in your wallet.  Govt property.

Bump stocks are property of the individual.

8nBAIT
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Third holes are visible from the outside of a weapon. A DIAS is not, though it does require an M16 FCG to be installed. A DIAC or swiftlink has the additional benefit of working with standard AR15 FCG's and is small enough to fit in a small pocket or cubby when not in use.
View Quote
Quite true.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nope

and nope

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scariest ruling I've seen in a long time. Shocked no one cares about this. This has implications far beyond guns.

The Judge doesnt even cite SCOTUS ruling in Horne v. Dept of Agriculture from 2015 that says private property cant be physically taken for any reason.

If the government can take any property they deem dangerous, we have no property rights. This is the first time the federal government has really made people destroy or turn in property. I hope this is appealed or we are all screwed.

Nope

and nope

Damn,never heard of that Oak Ridge bullshit-thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were bump stocks in the room, but something tells me they were never used.

To me it shows a set up, because anyone can buy a real full auto trigger off EE for around $100. It doesn't become illegal until it gets to your house where you have AR15 lowers or AR15s. Just like buying a short barrel upper, own a AR pistol or registered lower good to go. Have a short barrel upper and a regular AR rifle/carbine you get constructive intent.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There were bump stocks in the room, but something tells me they were never used.

To me it shows a set up, because anyone can buy a real full auto trigger off EE for around $100. It doesn't become illegal until it gets to your house where you have AR15 lowers or AR15s. Just like buying a short barrel upper, own a AR pistol or registered lower good to go. Have a short barrel upper and a regular AR rifle/carbine you get constructive intent.
View Quote
Holy derp
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ohhhhh Canada
View Quote
Exactly no property rights in Canada..fuckin gulag shithole
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Government didn't "take property". They made the act of possession after a certain date illegal. Nothing more. People voluntarily turned over their property to the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Voluntarily" LOL! "News"week! Under the threat of coercion via 10 years in prison people destroyed or turned in their property to the government.

Coercion (/ko?'??r??n, -??n/) is the practice of forcing another party to act in an involuntary manner by use of threats or force.[1] It involves a set of various types of forceful actions that violate the free will of an individual to induce a desired response, for example: a bully demanding lunch money from a student or the student gets beaten. These actions may include extortion, blackmail, torture, threats to induce favors, or even sexual assault. In law, coercion is codified as a duress crime. Such actions are used as leverage, to force the victim to act in a way contrary to their own interests. Coercion may involve the actual infliction of physical pain/injury or psychological harm in order to enhance the credibility of a threat. The threat of further harm may lead to the cooperation or obedience of the person being coerced.

MAGA!
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
They were on EVERY 5.56 or .223 rifle in the room. The audio sounds like bumpfire.

Most AR's require milling the lower for an M16 FCG to fit. It's not like he had a bunch of BCI defense lowers with him.  They were regularly available high end complete rifles. Many came with triggers that don't work with a swiftlink, but work great with a bumpstock.

Thankfully he didn't know how to utilize a machinegun or there would be far more casualties.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Had one used here in a drive by with an ak clone. Still doesn’t mean shit.  Fuck Rick Scott, the Florida GOP and the Feds.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So where are we on the CoC?
View Quote
I'm sure "good ruling" and "thanks masters" is safe.

IF I had a bumpstock I wouldn't have turned it in.  But that is like opening Pandora's box because the way they did it, you might as well just go full-on non-compliance since the charge would be the same.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's going to be awkward someday when they push too far and cities across America turn into what Mexico looked like last week.  I don't want that. But I also don't want the worse evil of the Left's absolute tyranny and incoming famine and genocide if they took all power and took our most important rights away.  It's shitty.  Why can't they just stop and not ruin a good thing? ...
View Quote
Power drunk
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep,scary part wasn't the Bumpstocks,but they way they were banned.

Shirley the dems won't abuse that when they get back in power someday...............
View Quote
That will be the switch they throw when all the brownshirts are ready.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Obama appointee?
View Quote
No.

A woman.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
People don't care because it doesn't cause them any grief.

Need to take away peoples homes and food.

Food first.

They'll get the message then.
View Quote
A Holodomor would get the American peoples' attention.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#50]
One recalls where other documentation from the .gov does not indicate use of bumpstock in a crime should be all that is needed to rule this ruling null and void.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top