Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Woodbooger
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
This pussy will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Bigfoot
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
This is about 10 miles from me. Everyone here is assuming a mountain lion in the area, but I’m leaning towards chupacabra.

What round for mythical goat suckers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Put empty boxes all around the field.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Cougar
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Just came here to post this... my wife asked if we had a gun big enough to kill it... nope not yet
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just came here to post this... my wife asked if we had a gun big enough to kill it... nope not yet
View Quote
Sounds like you'll be shopping today.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#9]
If I were in Kentucky I would leave my nine at home. Even best millimeter might not even be enough.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Lycan
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Does KY fish and game acknowledge the existence of mountain lion/cougars/pumas/whatever you want to call them?

Because VA Dept of Game and Fisheries does not, despite evidence of their existence.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
A nice 45-70 should do the trick. Maybe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cougar
View Quote
My buddy got mauled by a cougar.

His first mistake was, he let her buy him a shot and a beer. It degenerated from there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I were in Kentucky I would leave my nine at home. Even best millimeter might not even be enough.
View Quote
Handguns?

Large cats are why Jesus gave us the FAL.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
12 Ga should work fine.   00 buck or slugs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're gonna go, go all the way. http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/big-horn-armory-products/ar500-500-auto-mag-16/
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Three horses, a pit bull and Husky were all found dead at the scene. Police believe the animals were killed early Sunday morning by what could be a "large cat" or other animal.
View Quote
Well I guess now we know who wins.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you mad?! This man clearly needs a nice .375 H&H. Probably a pre ‘64 Winchester, with a low power scope.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cats are pretty fragile and you don’t need a lot of penetration to hit their vitals. A 9mm is perfectly adequate to take one down.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Whompus cat.

They are all over this part of the country........
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does KY fish and game acknowledge the existence of mountain lion/cougars/pumas/whatever you want to call them?

Because VA Dept of Game and Fisheries does not, despite evidence of their existence.
View Quote
IDNR denied them for a long time despite a few getting hit by cars and numerous game cam sightings. Now they do admit their existence here but claim they’re just passing through. About ten years ago I heard a female in heat crying out for a mate while outside one evening. That to me says we probably have a breeding population.

Sounded just like this.

Female Mountain Lion Screaming for mates in front of trail camera

Southern Illinois is a perfect habitat for them. Lots of big woods and white tail are like cockroaches here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Whompus cat.

They are all over this part of the country........
View Quote
^^^This is what I was thinking as well
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#23]
This is what the Howdah pistol was made for, large cat self defense!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope. KY says they're not really there.

PA did/does the same. In a PA hunters safety class in about 1994 somebody asked about lions. The Game cop said they didn't exist in PA. The volunteer instructor said that the PGC had to say that because, since Eastern Lions at the time were considered endangered (they were declared extinct not long ago) the PGC would have to spend a shitload of money on habitat work and protection and all that and they didn't want to. The PGC cop said nothing in response to this.

PGC always said that any cougars found were "escaped pets", because that's a thing apparently. People started pointing to DNA analysis saying the cats were all from the West. Except (1) cats are going to spread East as their population grows and (2) one of the reasons the Eastern Lion got delisted was because they determined via DNA that all North American lions are the same species.

So they're here. Or they will be.

I'm looking forward to it, personally. Too many deer, too many liberals hiking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty sure they do. Would have to be a big kitty to take on a horse.  Let alone need to feed on more than one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Ohio maintains that there are no mountain lions.

Yet, about 5 miles from me, State highway patrol chased one down the highway.

They later clarified their statement that it was a bobcat...

Yeah, I'm sorry. You don't get a mountain lion and bobcat confused.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Mountain lion isn't gonna take on a horse..............is it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#28]
If a state's wildlife department officially acknowledges the existence of big cats, they have to come up with a management program for said kitties, which costs big bucks. Much cheaper to just call it a big bobcat sighting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

PA did/does the same. In a PA hunters safety class in about 1994 somebody asked about lions. The Game cop said they didn't exist in PA. The volunteer instructor said that the PGC had to say that because, since Eastern Lions at the time were considered endangered (they were declared extinct not long ago) the PGC would have to spend a shitload of money on habitat work and protection and all that and they didn't want to. The PGC cop said nothing in response to this.

PGC always said that any cougars found were "escaped pets", because that's a thing apparently. People started pointing to DNA analysis saying the cats were all from the West. Except (1) cats are going to spread East as their population grows and (2) one of the reasons the Eastern Lion got delisted was because they determined via DNA that all North American lions are the same species.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well can you hurry their immigration before the midterms? Maybe leave out some string that moves around, or stand on your back porch and holler “here kitty kitty”?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
They kill elk.

Elk have horns. And are wild.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
In most states it is illegal to kill a none game species unless you can say it was posing a direct threat. A guy in NYS claimed to have shot a Mt. Lion and buried it with his backhoe. The DEC investigated and quickly realized he was full of shit when they told him they would bring in their own equipment to dig it up. The DEC told him had you shot it you would have been arrested as it is not a game species in the state of NY.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
They sure do.

http://www.cleburnetimesreview.com/news/horse-apparently-killed-by-mountain-lion-monday/article_8ba8026c-3a53-11e7-9779-1b8e90aafb2b.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Somebody's pet?  Or do you guys have the mountain lion or two?

We get em down as far south as northern Illinois (one notorious example anyway.)
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sneaky.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#35]
It was a lynx.

Jerry Clower - A Coon Huntin Story
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They kill elk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They kill elk.

Yep, big cats are no joke. Murderous sons of bitches.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are you mad?! This man clearly needs a nice .375 H&H. Probably a pre '64 Winchester, with a low power scope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you mad?! This man clearly needs a nice .375 H&H. Probably a pre '64 Winchester, with a low power scope.
If we're going down that path, a 600 Nitro double is the ticket.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Deny Deny Deny...

But if you ever shoot one it's jail time for you!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s good though, correct? Means no hunting regulations
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Knock him out John!

Just shoot up here in amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They kill elk.

Joe Rogan has had a few conversations with his guests about mountain lions.  Big hunters such as Cam Hanes, Donny Vincent, Ted Nugent, etc.

Big cats are nature's population control.  They kill often enough, for fun.  Just because they want to murder something.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I deer hunt down that way. Looking like an AR might be the weapon of choice this year rather than a bolt gun. Here kitty, kitty!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#43]
If a predatory ( healthy ) cat such as a Cougar/Mt. Lion, why would it go all out on 3 horses and 2 dogs in one night, makes no sense to me considering their instincts to prey, kill and eat one animal at a time.

My guess its a rabid cat or bear.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now that I think about it think VDGIF is saying they “don’t exist” for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've personally responded to a "mountain lion won't leave my yard" call that was a bobcat.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#46]
A large cat killed five animals...including three horses  Why?  Just for practice.   Forest credit?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
A lot of cat hunters in Utah use .357 or .44 mag pistols.

They're big and tough, but they're not anywhere close to African lions or tigers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I asked my fishcops about that. Was told that the reason the state refuses to acknowledge big cat residence in state is because then the state would be responsible for management of the species, which would be expensive.
It’s much easier to say that a big cat will cross the state in 2 or 3 days, but doesn’t actually live here. Nothing to see here, people. Move along.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've personally responded to a "mountain lion won't leave my yard" call that was a bobcat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had dash cam shots of it.

Bobcats don't have a 2+ foot tail.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
You could have your lion population filled to capacity and people will still hike--  they don't rapaciously kill and eat people too often, like practically never.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top