[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Souped up wildcat
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A large cat killed five animals...including three horses  Why?  Just for practice.   Forest credit?
View Quote

That's a lot of good meat for a hungry animal to walk away from.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In most states it is illegal to kill a none game species unless you can say it was posing a direct threat. A guy in NYS claimed to have shot a Mt. Lion and buried it with his backhoe. The DEC investigated and quickly realized he was full of shit when they told him they would bring in their own equipment to dig it up. The DEC told him had you shot it you would have been arrested as it is not a game species in the state of NY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just came here to post this... my wife asked if we had a gun big enough to kill it... nope not yet
In most states it is illegal to kill a none game species unless you can say it was posing a direct threat. A guy in NYS claimed to have shot a Mt. Lion and buried it with his backhoe. The DEC investigated and quickly realized he was full of shit when they told him they would bring in their own equipment to dig it up. The DEC told him had you shot it you would have been arrested as it is not a game species in the state of NY.
So what is a coyote, groundhog, etc?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nope. KY says they're not really there.

PA did/does the same. In a PA hunters safety class in about 1994 somebody asked about lions. The Game cop said they didn't exist in PA. The volunteer instructor said that the PGC had to say that because, since Eastern Lions at the time were considered endangered (they were declared extinct not long ago) the PGC would have to spend a shitload of money on habitat work and protection and all that and they didn't want to. The PGC cop said nothing in response to this.

PGC always said that any cougars found were "escaped pets", because that's a thing apparently. People started pointing to DNA analysis saying the cats were all from the West. Except (1) cats are going to spread East as their population grows and (2) one of the reasons the Eastern Lion got delisted was because they determined via DNA that all North American lions are the same species.

So they're here. Or they will be.

I'm looking forward to it, personally. Too many deer, too many liberals hiking.
View Quote
Yep.  Eastern wildlife agencies have seen what a PITA the Endangered Species Act has been for western agencies, and they want nothing to do with it.

Better to deny reality, let the process happen naturally, and then when the population is fully recovered say "oh, they're here and doing fine.  No ESA required."
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If a predatory ( healthy ) cat such as a Cougar/Mt. Lion, why would it go all out on 3 horses and 2 dogs in one night, makes no sense to me considering their instincts to prey, kill and eat one animal at a time.

My guess its a rabid cat or bear.
View Quote
As any sheepherder in Utah can tell you, sometimes cougars (and coyotes) kill just for the fun of it.  Especially when the prey is stupid and easy to kill.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A lot of cat hunters in Utah use .357 or .44 mag pistols.

They're big and tough, but they're not anywhere close to African lions or tigers.
View Quote
Somewhere around here I've got an old book in which Elmer Keith talks about preferring to use .22lr for cougar, hunting with dogs anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As any sheepherder in Utah can tell you, sometimes cougars (and coyotes) kill just for the fun of it.  Especially when the prey is stupid and easy to kill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a predatory ( healthy ) cat such as a Cougar/Mt. Lion, why would it go all out on 3 horses and 2 dogs in one night, makes no sense to me considering their instincts to prey, kill and eat one animal at a time.

Point taken.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just came here to post this... my wife asked if we had a gun big enough to kill it... nope not yet
Game species.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#9]
12g with slugs, goodnight sweet kitty!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
As was pointed out, sometimes they just think it's fun. You should see what they can do to sheep.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A large cat killed five animals...including three horses  Why?  Just for practice.   Forest credit?
View Quote
Because cats are dicks, large or small. They also engage in sort killing just for fun
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#12]
The dept of fish and wildlife claims they are not here but they certainly are. They even catch one holed up in a barn every so often.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Game species.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Game species.
Doubtful. The OP doesn’t understand the term ‘game species’. Deer, bear, turkey, squirrel, rabbit - game species. Groundhog, coyote, mouse - non-game or vermin.

Wow, NY considers the coyote a non-vermin.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27801.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Cover story.  Keep your eyes open for dudes wearing this patch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Somewhere around here I've got an old book in which Elmer Keith talks about preferring to use .22lr for cougar, hunting with dogs anyway.
View Quote
If you have a good team of dogs then you can get shots within 10-20 feet.  A .22 lr to the brain pan at that range would probably take care of the cat, although I'd probably go a little bigger myself.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xUJfYDKt3A
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Put empty boxes all around the field.
View Quote
Genius
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because cats are dicks, large or small. They also engage in sort killing just for fun
View Quote
Yep. Look what a housecat will do with a cicaida, or a mouse, or a bird. Same psyche in play.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Vermin, just like Mt. Lions.  Stuff is easy to manage till the eviro-nuts and courts get involved.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

PA did/does the same. In a PA hunters safety class in about 1994 somebody asked about lions. The Game cop said they didn't exist in PA. The volunteer instructor said that the PGC had to say that because, since Eastern Lions at the time were considered endangered (they were declared extinct not long ago) the PGC would have to spend a shitload of money on habitat work and protection and all that and they didn't want to. The PGC cop said nothing in response to this.

PGC always said that any cougars found were "escaped pets", because that's a thing apparently. People started pointing to DNA analysis saying the cats were all from the West. Except (1) cats are going to spread East as their population grows and (2) one of the reasons the Eastern Lion got delisted was because they determined via DNA that all North American lions are the same species.

View Quote
Life, uh... finds a way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Doubtful. The OP doesn’t understand the term ‘game species’. Deer, bear, turkey, squirrel, rabbit - game species. Groundhog, coyote, mouse - non-game or vermin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Game species.

Ohio Admin Code:

(YY) "Game" includes game birds, game quadrupeds, and furbearing animals.

(XX) "Furbearing animals" includes minks, weasels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, muskrats, fox, beavers, badgers, otters, coyotes, bobcats and fishers.

(ZZ) "Game birds" includes mourning doves, Eurasian collared-doves, ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, ruffed grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, pinnated grouse, wild turkey, Hungarian partridge, chukar partridge, woodcocks, black-breasted plover, golden plover, Wilson's snipe or jacksnipe, greater and lesser yellowlegs, rail, coots, gallinules, duck, geese, brant, mergansers and crows.

(AAA) "Game quadrupeds" includes cottontail rabbits, gray squirrels, black squirrels, fox squirrels, red squirrels, flying squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs or woodchucks, white-tailed deer, elk, black bears, wild boar, feral swine, and porcupines.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ohio Admin Code:

(XX) "Furbearing animals" includes minks, weasels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, muskrats, fox, beavers, badgers, otters, coyotes, bobcats and fishers.

(ZZ) "Game birds" includes mourning doves, Eurasian collared-doves, ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, ruffed grouse, sharp-tailed grouse, pinnated grouse, wild turkey, Hungarian partridge, chukar partridge, woodcocks, black-breasted plover, golden plover, Wilson's snipe or jacksnipe, greater and lesser yellowlegs, rail, coots, gallinules, duck, geese, brant, mergansers and crows.

(AAA) "Game quadrupeds" includes cottontail rabbits, gray squirrels, black squirrels, fox squirrels, red squirrels, flying squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs or woodchucks, white-tailed deer, elk, black bears, wild boar, feral swine, and porcupines.
View Quote
Stupid is as stupid does I guess.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ohio Admin Code:

View Quote
Yep, fur bearing animals are game.

I have heard cougar loins are good eating
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. THREE horses? Plus two dogs? That’s nuts. Cats get run off by multiple dogs all the time. Highly unlikely that it sticks around. No healthy, wild cat is going to risk injury against multiple dogs or kill three horses for shits and giggles. Contrary to popular belief, they don’t just kill for fun. (Hint: neither does your house cat.)
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Whangdoodle.  I thought they were only legendary.

"While our regiment was encamped at Murfreesboro a man by the name of Hester made application to Colonel Moore for appointment as chaplain. Colonel Moore told him that he would not appoint him unless a majority of the regiment expressed a preference for him. He then began to canvass for votes. M. Luna, a rollicking, jolly, good soldier of Company I, also announced for this office. He swore that he could preach as good a sermon as L. Hester, and he appointed a time and place where the boys could have a sample of his sermons. He would mount a stump or woodpile, and the service would begin by lining out a song, 'Old Grimes,' 'Ryestraw,' or some other doggerel familiar at that time. He would then announce as his text, 'Whar de hen scratch, dar de bug also,' or 'Gnaw a file and flee to the wilderness, whar de lion roar and de whangdoodle moans.' After his 'sermon,' he would say, 'Now, if you don't believe I'm a better preacher than L. Hester, vote for him, darn you.' Needless to say, Mack was elected by a big majority; but when he applied to Colonel Moore for credentials, he was told to go back to his company and behave, or he would be sent to the guardhouse. That was the last we heard of a chaplain until Rev. M. B. DeWitt came to us. He was a devout Christian and was loved by all."
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cats kill for fun. Never seen a house cat kill a mouse and not eat it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I always wonder if it's a big cat that escaped from somewhere. Somebody up the road from me has lions and I don't know what all big cats behind very high walled, fenced enclosures.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong. Very few animals on the planet do anything “for fun.” Cats are wound up predators, it’s what makes them what they are. Much more likely that the cats were raising and training cubs, or the animal was NOT healthy. The point is that nature does things for a reason, whether or not we understand what that reason is.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This. THREE horses? Plus two dogs? That's nuts. Cats get run off by multiple dogs all the time. Highly unlikely that it sticks around. No healthy, wild cat is going to risk injury against multiple dogs or kill three horses for shits and giggles. Contrary to popular belief, they don't just kill for fun. (Hint: neither does your house cat.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This. THREE horses? Plus two dogs? That's nuts. Cats get run off by multiple dogs all the time. Highly unlikely that it sticks around. No healthy, wild cat is going to risk injury against multiple dogs or kill three horses for shits and giggles. Contrary to popular belief, they don't just kill for fun. (Hint: neither does your house cat.)
Unless the dogs were training hunters, a cougar could kill two dumb soft house dogs in nothing flat.  In fact, it happened here a couple of years ago.  Dumb Californian transplant let her dogs run free, cougar killed and ate them both.

ETA:  Found the story:  He killed one dog, and maimed the other.

https://www.parkrecord.com/news/summit-county/mountain-lion-shot-in-summit-park-after-killing-dog/

ETA 2:  And of course, there were the typical animal lover dumbasses who got upset the cat was shot:

Several Snyderville Basin residents are unhappy about how the situation was handled.

Heidi Hewitt, a Pinebrook resident, said it is "truly an awful situation because it was a beautiful cat." On Saturday, Hewitt notified DWR that a mountain lion, it's unclear if it was the same one, had been spotted on the back deck of her Pinebrook home.

"I had never seen a mountain lion before and I just wanted them to let people know because there is a trail right off the hill in my backyard that is heavily traveled," Hewitt said. "I posted it on Facebook and tagged my neighbors. Most said, 'today I'll put my dogs on the leash or I won't go back there.' Several people are really upset and frustrated about it.

"It bums me out because they had relocated some bears that had been a nuisance in the past I don't know what the difference was now," Hewitt said.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohio Admin Code:

Virginia is not necessarily stupid, just because it does things differently than the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cats kill for fun. Never seen a house cat kill a mouse and not eat it?
View Quote
When I was a kid we had a tomcat who was Nuclear-Powered Death on mice.  He'd catch a mouse, and then spend an hour or so torturing it by throwing it around in the air and jumping on it without killing it.

I once felt sorry for the mouse and rescued it from him.  He was still alive but half his skin was torn off and he was dead by morning.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck them, if it's a threat to me it dies!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#33]
You are all wrong!

It’s this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep.  Eastern wildlife agencies have seen what a PITA the Endangered Species Act has been for western agencies, and they want nothing to do with it.

Better to deny reality, let the process happen naturally, and then when the population is fully recovered say "oh, they're here and doing fine.  No ESA required."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, your game departments know what they are talking about.  They are doing you a favor.  I wish ours had done the same but ours have had a love affair with predators for generations now.  They are {slightly} changing their tune now as the hunting has been radically impacted and, golly gee, imagine that...they are suffering losses in revenue.

You guys back east have no idea what a disaster the ESA has been for us out here. I served on a Natural Resources advisory board for years and was involved in coordination efforts with the State.  I worked closely with our Game commissioner in the formation of wolf management regulations.

Eventually, you will not be able to obfuscate the reality, and then when the enviros get involved your rural culture will experience the war against it that ours has.

UNLESS you can buy time until some sort of rationality and common sense enter the fray.  No idea if that will ever happen.

A friend of mine shot a 185 pound mountain lion.  We've gotten our share but nothing that big.  That is...HUGE.  As you can imagine, we have and do suffer all sorts of livestock depredation from predators;  coyotes, wolves, bear, lion, now grizzly are moving into our area so that promises to add to the mess.

Anyway, for your viewing enjoyment, here's a mom and her cubs on my ranch;

And mt son with one that didn't get away...

And some more neighbors....

And the damage wolves cause to livestock....

Oh, and OP...the culprit wasn't a bobcat.  Here's a couple of those.  They are not horse killers...

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Perfect answer. Milk it for all you can.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate to inform you, but lion don't take much to kill.

But whatever....  
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wrong. Very few animals on the planet do anything “for fun.” Cats are wound up predators, it’s what makes them what they are. Much more likely that the cats were raising and training cubs, or the animal was NOT healthy. The point is that nature does things for a reason, whether or not we understand what that reason is.
View Quote
Coyotes and cats most certainly kill for fun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Coyotes and cats nost certainly kill for fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coyotes and cats nost certainly kill for fun.
I think the point is the definition of "fun".

The stuff we see and call "fun" is likely not what WE experience.

But regardless, I don't believe actions accomplished by animals are done "for a reason" in that animals act by instinct, not rationality.

As for "fun" killing, lots of animals kill for what we call for lack of better words, "fun" or "sport".  I suppose it is more accurate to say they kill under those circumstances "because they can".  They are hardwired to kill for survival, and at times when additional targets of opportunity arise, they "just do it".

We've had instances of herds of elk killed by wolves.  A few years ago, a rancher in southern Idaho lost 176 sheep in one night to a pack of wolves.  Goes on and on.

I've raised livestock and trained horses and dogs for years. One of my female dogs was mauled by coyotes the other day.  They do what they do.  Arguing about "why" makes no sense, but it sure makes me "feel" better to think that when "Man's Best Friend" wags his tail it's because he thinks I'm a hero...  
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You could have your lion population filled to capacity and people will still hike--  they don't rapaciously kill and eat people too often, like practically never.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could have your lion population filled to capacity and people will still hike--  they don't rapaciously kill and eat people too often, like practically never.
Well, then there's no reason we should repopulate them and bears to Rock Creek Park in DC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This is about 10 miles from me. Everyone here is assuming a mountain lion in the area, but I’m leaning towards chupacabra.

What round for mythical goat suckers?
View Quote
Goat suckers, not sure, now goat fuckers...
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is about 10 miles from me. Everyone here is assuming a mountain lion in the area, but I’m leaning towards chupacabra.

What round for mythical goat suckers?
View Quote
Almost anything.

A lot of lion have been killed here with .22 Mag pistols.  They have very little wind.  Small lungs.  Can't run far.  The opposite of bear that are the marathon runners.

Favorites around here are the .22 mag, .357 mag revolver, .30-30, .44 Mag rifle and wheelgun, any and all deer/elk rifles tho high power rifles wreck the hides which most folks want to keep.   A fellow I used to know used an M1 Carbine which would be perfect with soft point ammo.  Light and handy and easy to carry when following hounds and chasing them on Misery Slippers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ohio maintains that there are no mountain lions.

Yet, about 5 miles from me, State highway patrol chased one down the highway.

They later clarified their statement that it was a bobcat...

Yeah, I'm sorry. You don't get a mountain lion and bobcat confused.
View Quote
I live in mountain lion country.  I chase mountain lions with hounds.  People call me all the time because they saw a mountain lion, which often translates into bobcat.  People do get them confused.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
territorial, sometimes they do it just to say whose boss around here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Dogmen
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I lost my leopard around there last week. His name is "Spot." He usually responds nicely when called, but lately he's changed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I live in mountain lion country.  I chase mountain lions with hounds.  People call me all the time because they saw a mountain lion, which often translates into bobcat.  People do get them confused.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ohio maintains that there are no mountain lions.

Yet, about 5 miles from me, State highway patrol chased one down the highway.

They later clarified their statement that it was a bobcat...

Yeah, I'm sorry. You don't get a mountain lion and bobcat confused.
Same happened with wolves/coyotes when wolves first moved in to our area years ago.  But once a person has seen a wolf {unless it is truly a pup} there is ZERO mistaking it for a coyote.  IDF&G says folks more commonly mistake them for deer simply due to size.  Years ago we had an interesting experience.  We had a field full of elk and deer and a coyote and then three wolves walked up from behind my rifle range backstop.  So we could see all of them together.   I strapped my skiis on and investigated and found a deer obliterated, which they will do, eating all, bones, head, the works.  l chased them up the mountain and they split up and I gave up the race and arrived home long after dark but never did catch up with them.

Here's what was left of the deer they killed:

And here's a couple that followed me in my ski tracks!

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I lost my leopard around there last week. His name is "Spot." He usually responds nicely when called, but lately he's changed.
View Quote
Don't cha hate it when they just won't answer to their name anymore!!!

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As was pointed out, sometimes they just think it's fun. You should see what they can do to sheep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? Y'all never had a barn cat that was just a mass murdering SOB?  Cats kill for sport, it's not just a people thing. I've had dogs that were just hell on woodchucks, tag team style.

The big cat rumors persist in north PA and southern tier NY.   Fleeting trail cam shots now and then. The bears are back for sure, they get swacked on the roads pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My buddy got mauled by a cougar.

His first mistake was, he let her buy him a shot and a beer. It degenerated from there.
View Quote

TC
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Mountain lion isn't gonna take on a horse..............is it?
View Quote
Mountain lions can take down a bull elk. So, I'm going to guess yes.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top