Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 54
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for another day of embarrassment for our nation.
View Quote

Yes, we should keep the status quo

Damn kids and their new fangled politics. Youll get the uniparty like we did and like it
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Remember his Meme? Elon is a leftist, just the left went psycho while he stayed the same.
View Quote

Elon was a lefty that got burned by his own. Now, he's just confused.

He is at times, "my enemy's enemy".

He likes to tweet shit like "take the red pill", but he needs to follow his own advice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Site the part that forbids it.  

I won't hold my breath either.  

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI-S3-C3-3/ALDE_00013347/

The more I look at this issue the more I think that it would require an amendment--so I will admit I was wrong.

I still think term limits--3 terms tops is a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not a budget. It was a funding bill. We haven’t passed a real budget in 20 years. There is a difference.
View Quote

Semantics...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FL has an eight-year term limits for Senators. Former members that hit thr term could be elected again after a two-year break. They traditionally run for another office and come back. So if Senator Joe Blow is termed out, he runs for County Dog Catcher and runs again for Senate and wins. Thus, he is the ranking lawmaker with time in office. Traditionally, they'll do their full allowed terms in the House, term out, run for Senate, term out, run for some high paying County Office, and run back for the legislature.

Redistricting resets the clock, so if someone is elected in 2022 and they're around in 2030 when the next census happens and the districts are redrawn, BAM, clock is reset and they have another two terms they can run for again with no break.

They build time and seniority in office thst way.

State Reps serve two-year terms and can serve a total of four of 'em in one shot without a break. Senators serve four year terms, hence limited to two terms.

Every two years, the Senate elects a new Majority Leader and a New Senate President.  

Dennis Baxley has been in office since 2010 and due to redistricting, the clock has been reset for him. He has another eight years he can be in office.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/Screenshot_20230105_020419_jpg-2661041.JPG

He's now Number 3 in the Senate due to seniority. He served 7 years, took a two year break, served another 6 years in the House, then did 6 in the Senate and due to redistricting, he has another 8, and if he sticks around for 2030, he'll get another 8 again. He's been in office since Bill Clinton was President.

Again, term limits don't stop what you think it does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you say that Senate President isn't a separate elected position. Then does that mean they have to be elected in their district?
Correct, it isn't a statewide office. The FL Senate President is selected amongst thr Senators within the State Senate. The people have no say in the matter. If Senator Bob from Miami wants to be Senate President, it is just like what you're seeing for the Federal House of Representatives with McCarthy right now.

Again, term limits don't stop corruption. Wilton Simpson became the Senate President because it was "his turn" since he was the "senior lawmaker" who was previously the Majority Leader. Just like McCarthy. Same with Galvano and Passidomo.

In another thread, you said:

Ego is a big problem with career politicians, especially ones that think they are "entitled" to the job. This fiasco is a "I'm in charge and you're not" kind of idiocy. He needs to get over himself if he wants to be Speaker. If he can't, then he'll never be Speaker.

Guess what, term limits doesn't stop that. It accelerates it. Instead of 40 years, it is 8 years.

OK, so if Joe Blow gets term-limited out from being elected in his district, by definition, he can't be Senate President any more. You see how this works?

Term limits absolutely stops the kind of career corruption we see in DC. There wouldn't be a "ranking member" as all of them would be either on term 1 or 2.
FL has an eight-year term limits for Senators. Former members that hit thr term could be elected again after a two-year break. They traditionally run for another office and come back. So if Senator Joe Blow is termed out, he runs for County Dog Catcher and runs again for Senate and wins. Thus, he is the ranking lawmaker with time in office. Traditionally, they'll do their full allowed terms in the House, term out, run for Senate, term out, run for some high paying County Office, and run back for the legislature.

Redistricting resets the clock, so if someone is elected in 2022 and they're around in 2030 when the next census happens and the districts are redrawn, BAM, clock is reset and they have another two terms they can run for again with no break.

State Reps serve two-year terms and can serve a total of four of 'em in one shot without a break. Senators serve four year terms, hence limited to two terms.

Every two years, the Senate elects a new Majority Leader and a New Senate President.  

Dennis Baxley has been in office since 2010 and due to redistricting, the clock has been reset for him. He has another eight years he can be in office.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/Screenshot_20230105_020419_jpg-2661041.JPG

He's now Number 3 in the Senate due to seniority. He served 7 years, took a two year break, served another 6 years in the House, then did 6 in the Senate and due to redistricting, he has another 8, and if he sticks around for 2030, he'll get another 8 again. He's been in office since Bill Clinton was President.

So, they get two 4 year terms then they have to find something else to do (or 4 terms of 2 for your House). Some states have lifetime limits on Governorships. Seems like that would be a good practice to implement for legislatures, too. You only get 2 shots at the pig trough. Better hope you have an actual skill/business to fall back on once you're done. This was the idea of the Founders. Citizen legislators that go back to work after their "sentence" in the legislature was up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very light on details and sourcing. I highly doubt this.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh bullshit. You're buying the MSM narrative. This is how it's supposed to work, not this selection by acclamation crap.

This is only embarassing to Kevin McCarthy and the jackasses in the GOPe.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It’s cute you think the politicians are running the show in DC. It has always been the staffers. The staffers shift around from R to D as it makes no difference to them. They know the game, they make the rules, the empty suit who gets elected is their vessel, term limits do not stop them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Term limits absolutely stop that. That's the entire point of them. If they can't stay in a position very long, there is no climbing the ranks. There is no "I've been here for 40 years and am now the ranking member" of a committee. There is no time to set up a perpetual grift. All the things you're grousing about are the very things term limits prevent.

It’s cute you think the politicians are running the show in DC. It has always been the staffers. The staffers shift around from R to D as it makes no difference to them. They know the game, they make the rules, the empty suit who gets elected is their vessel, term limits do not stop them.

My observation of the staffers is they turn over a lot. Further, it's the politicians who have to secure the grift, er, funding from donors. Unfortunately, lobbyists meet with legislators, staff just listens in. And, when lobbyists meet with legislators, they usually bring a check with them. For their "reelection campaign", of course.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, that certainly cut to the chase, didn't it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So, they get two 4 year terms then they have to find something else to do (or 4 terms of 2 for your House). Some states have lifetime limits on Governorships. Seems like that would be a good practice to implement for legislatures, too. You only get 2 shots at the pig trough. Better hope you have an actual skill/business to fall back on once you're done. This was the idea of the Founders. Citizen legislators that go back to work after their "sentence" in the legislature was up.
View Quote

We can send reps back home after 2 years, and senators back home after 6.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am enjoying it

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am enjoying it

Agreed. This is fucking awesome. Everyone wants to be anti-establishment until its time to do anti-establishment shit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
But you're claiming that term limits stop corruption. It hasn't. Even California has term limits and that place is all levels of screwed up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, the people are the ultimate power and if they refuse to exercise their power, that is on them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The more I look at this issue the more I think that it would require an amendment--so I will admit I was wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regardless of the wisdom of the policy, which I doubt, do you think there is a path for a 2/3 approval in the House and Senate and 3/4 of the states for that amendment at this time? We have a house that is split between Captain Milquetoast for Speaker on one side and Let it Burn on the other. Amending the Constitution requires broad consensus, by design and that just isn't in the cards.

If you're going to hold the speakership hostage, at least ask for something of value the other side can give you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I totally agree! Seeing so many 'conservatives' rally for an establishment piece of shit with a very unconservative track record is very embarrassing.

Not only is he a phony, he's also incredibly stupid as evidenced by pushing through the $1.7 TRILLION omnibus (theft) package that effectively rendered the first year for the new speaker POWERLESS.

And before you waste the effort typing it out, INVESTIGATIONS OF THE BIDEN FAMILY WILL BE NOTHING MORE THAN POLITICAL THEATER, if they happen at all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh bullshit. You're buying the MSM narrative. This is how it's supposed to work, not this selection by acclamation crap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come on man, politics should happen behind closed doors in secret.  It's better for our country that way.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you say that Senate President isn't a separate elected position. Then does that mean they have to be elected in their district?
Correct, it isn't a statewide office. The FL Senate President is selected amongst thr Senators within the State Senate. The people have no say in the matter. If Senator Bob from Miami wants to be Senate President, it is just like what you're seeing for the Federal House of Representatives with McCarthy right now.

Again, term limits don't stop corruption. Wilton Simpson became the Senate President because it was "his turn" since he was the "senior lawmaker" who was previously the Majority Leader. Just like McCarthy. Same with Galvano and Passidomo.

Ego is a big problem with career politicians, especially ones that think they are "entitled" to the job. This fiasco is a "I'm in charge and you're not" kind of idiocy. He needs to get over himself if he wants to be Speaker. If he can't, then he'll never be Speaker.

Guess what, term limits doesn't stop that. It accelerates it. Instead of 40 years, it is 8 years.

OK, so if Joe Blow gets term-limited out from being elected in his district, by definition, he can't be Senate President any more. You see how this works?

Term limits absolutely stops the kind of career corruption we see in DC. There wouldn't be a "ranking member" as all of them would be either on term 1 or 2.

Mods, please ban the slow learners from this thread as promised. (Slow learner because you've been warned about continuing to derail this thread, not specifically because you think term limits are the answer.)
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#20]
What will we see today?

If the Freedom caucus doesn’t prevail?

Well fuck it

I don’t want be fuck it
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What will we see today?

If the Freedom caucus doesn’t prevail?

Well fuck it

I don’t want be fuck it
View Quote

FKM continuing to lose, can't wait .
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Regardless of the wisdom of the policy, which I doubt, do you think there is a path for a 2/3 approval in the House and Senate and 3/4 of the states for that amendment at this time? We have a house that is split between Captain Milquetoast for Speaker on one side and Let it Burn on the other. Amending the Constitution requires broad consensus, by design and that just isn't in the cards.

If you're going to hold the speakership hostage, at least ask for something of value the other side can give you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a path to a vote and putting everyone on record.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Right now, we're waiting for the next session to see if anything has changed (new nominees, brokered deals, etc.).  Until then, I'm okay with letting people discuss anything related/relevant so long as the conversation stays out of personal attacks.

We should probably wrap up the term limit conversation before long, however, as neither side is convincing the other of much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mods, please ban the slow learners from this thread as promised. (Slow learner because you've been warned about continuing to derail this thread, not specifically because you think term limits are the answer.)

Right now, we're waiting for the next session to see if anything has changed (new nominees, brokered deals, etc.).  Until then, I'm okay with letting people discuss anything related/relevant so long as the conversation stays out of personal attacks.

We should probably wrap up the term limit conversation before long, however, as neither side is convincing the other of much.

I'm not going to give the typical mod hate because I know it's a thankless, no win job. I will suggest, however, that mods don't make threats they aren't prepared to follow through on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's a bingo. Also, repealing the 16th wouldn't be bad either.
View Quote

Repealing everything after #10 is the way to go...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That is why I hope the current situation continues until January of 2025.
View Quote

The only downside is they can't investigate anything until this is done.
Or impeach Brandon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Could you be specific?  I'm not sure I've threatened anything other than to warn and boot people fighting over trump here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not going to give the typical mod hate because I know it's a thankless, no win job. I will suggest, however, that mods don't make threats they aren't prepared to follow through on.

Could you be specific?  I'm not sure I've threatened anything other than to warn and boot people fighting over trump here.

Somewhere earlier in this thread the people bickering over term limits were warned to stop derailing the thread. I'm not going back through the entire history trying to find it, so my apologies it if wasn't you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Or impeach Brandon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why I hope the current situation continues until January of 2025.

Or impeach Brandon.

Neither was ever going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is one local guy.
FL isn't doing their term limits correctly & has to change the law.
You need to limit them to 1 or 2 terms lifetime - after that they become ineligible to hold elected office...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Repealing everything after #10 is the way to go...
View Quote

The 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 19th, 21st, 22nd, 24th, 25th, 26th, and 27th are good.

So, you want to repeal the ban on slavery?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is one local guy.
You need to limit them to 1 or 2 terms lifetime - after that they become ineligible to hold elected office...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is one local guy.
California, Nevada, and Michigan have that.... look at how well they're run.

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It'll also create more retirees that will get lifetime retirement, medical and whatever-else benefits that are paid by taxes borrowing...
View Quote

Another thing that needs to change - you make them pay into FERS & a 401K - that's their only retirement - just like every other government worker.
And they can pay for their medical after retirement, just like everyone else...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Maybe just threaten to cut your hair!  

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

All unnecessary jobs that should be eliminated.
Each party should have one secretary that operates the switchboard - everyone else should be fired.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 19th, 21st, 22nd, 24th, 25th, 26th, and 27th are good.

So, you want to repeal the ban on slavery?
View Quote

Repealing it won't bring back slavery, it is an unnecessary amendment...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mitch McConnell could resign today and he would still have control over almost everything that happens in DC.  He has connections, appointed officials, appointed cabinet members, appointed judges, and personally knows every single high value donor.  Ever here of the "Good Ole Boys Club"?  It is real and it is how politics work.  Some of the state level positions in Kentucky are term limited as well, yet Ryan Quarles who has strong connections with the state level establishment has been holding one office or another for over a decade and now he is running for Governor.  The establishment, state or federal, gets their anointed people in power and they keep pushing the same agenda whether it is the same position or not.  

Ask yourself this: does a Commissioner of Agriculture meet with legislators, propose legislative changes to them, and speak at committee meetings?  The answer is yes.  At that point does it doesn't matter if they are legislator casting the vote or the one working with the legislators to draft the bill, the end result is the same legislative agenda and changes get passed.  If someone is term limited after 8 years and hold 3 different positions then they have political power and influence for 24 years.  That is a lot of people hired, people appointed, and connections with donors.

The only thing term limits really does is create an opening for the people to become active and disrupt the establishment.  But people actually have to become activists and push for changes and 99% of the time that is too much work for people.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

planemaker was responding to a FL state level specific post, not national...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Kabuki theater at its most stupid!
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Kevin McCarthy gave 46% of his votes to Nancy Pelosi in the last 6 years.

Nancy Pelosi gave 7% of her vote to Republicans in the last 6 years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I really have to wonder what kind of "negotiations" are going on behind closed doors. There's no telling what is being promised to end the stalemate. Some of that might be good, some probably won't be. If the 20 holdouts are serious, they'll keep holding out until McCarthy simply drops out of the race. Then the real fun begins.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Regarding the vote for Speaker:

See how hard it is rig an election when there’s no drop-boxes and you verify the identity of everyone who’s voting?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

See how hard it is rig an election when there's no drop-boxes and you verify the identity of everyone who's voting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how hard it is rig an election when there's no drop-boxes and you verify the identity of everyone who's voting?
Did you steal that from Sebastian Gorka is it just an amazing coincidence?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Awesome
View Quote

Imagine if they could vote by mail for Speaker. The democrats would win and Fox and CNN would try to explain to us how having more votes than there are members of Congress is perfectly normal.
And do you know what Mcarthy would do about it? Nothing.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Imagine if they could vote by mail for Speaker. The democrats would win and Fox and CNN would try to explain to us how having more votes than there are members of Congress is perfectly normal.
And do you know what Mcarthy would do about it? Nothing.
View Quote

Jeffries would have 6,000 votes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't think that was me.  I don't even think it was a mod.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somewhere earlier in this thread the people bickering over term limits were warned to stop derailing the thread. I'm not going back through the entire history trying to find it, so my apologies it if wasn't you.

I don't think that was me.  I don't even think it was a mod.

It was me I just asked people to stop the thread sliding.

Dont taze me, bro!
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top