Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think that was me.  I don't even think it was a mod.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you say that Senate President isn't a separate elected position. Then does that mean they have to be elected in their district?
Correct, it isn't a statewide office. The FL Senate President is selected amongst thr Senators within the State Senate. The people have no say in the matter. If Senator Bob from Miami wants to be Senate President, it is just like what you're seeing for the Federal House of Representatives with McCarthy right now.

Again, term limits don't stop corruption. Wilton Simpson became the Senate President because it was "his turn" since he was the "senior lawmaker" who was previously the Majority Leader. Just like McCarthy. Same with Galvano and Passidomo.

In another thread, you said:

Ego is a big problem with career politicians, especially ones that think they are "entitled" to the job. This fiasco is a "I'm in charge and you're not" kind of idiocy. He needs to get over himself if he wants to be Speaker. If he can't, then he'll never be Speaker.

Guess what, term limits doesn't stop that. It accelerates it. Instead of 40 years, it is 8 years.

OK, so if Joe Blow gets term-limited out from being elected in his district, by definition, he can't be Senate President any more. You see how this works?

Term limits absolutely stops the kind of career corruption we see in DC. There wouldn't be a "ranking member" as all of them would be either on term 1 or 2.
FL has an eight-year term limits for Senators. Former members that hit thr term could be elected again after a two-year break. They traditionally run for another office and come back. So if Senator Joe Blow is termed out, he runs for County Dog Catcher and runs again for Senate and wins. Thus, he is the ranking lawmaker with time in office. Traditionally, they'll do their full allowed terms in the House, term out, run for Senate, term out, run for some high paying County Office, and run back for the legislature.

Redistricting resets the clock, so if someone is elected in 2022 and they're around in 2030 when the next census happens and the districts are redrawn, BAM, clock is reset and they have another two terms they can run for again with no break.

They build time and seniority in office thst way.

State Reps serve two-year terms and can serve a total of four of 'em in one shot without a break. Senators serve four year terms, hence limited to two terms.

Every two years, the Senate elects a new Majority Leader and a New Senate President.  

Dennis Baxley has been in office since 2010 and due to redistricting, the clock has been reset for him. He has another eight years he can be in office.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/Screenshot_20230105_020419_jpg-2661041.JPG

He's now Number 3 in the Senate due to seniority. He served 7 years, took a two year break, served another 6 years in the House, then did 6 in the Senate and due to redistricting, he has another 8, and if he sticks around for 2030, he'll get another 8 again. He's been in office since Bill Clinton was President.

Again, term limits don't stop what you think it does.

So, they get two 4 year terms then they have to find something else to do (or 4 terms of 2 for your House). Some states have lifetime limits on Governorships. Seems like that would be a good practice to implement for legislatures, too. You only get 2 shots at the pig trough. Better hope you have an actual skill/business to fall back on once you're done. This was the idea of the Founders. Citizen legislators that go back to work after their "sentence" in the legislature was up.

Mods, please ban the slow learners from this thread as promised. (Slow learner because you've been warned about continuing to derail this thread, not specifically because you think term limits are the answer.)

Right now, we're waiting for the next session to see if anything has changed (new nominees, brokered deals, etc.).  Until then, I'm okay with letting people discuss anything related/relevant so long as the conversation stays out of personal attacks.

We should probably wrap up the term limit conversation before long, however, as neither side is convincing the other of much.

I'm not going to give the typical mod hate because I know it's a thankless, no win job. I will suggest, however, that mods don't make threats they aren't prepared to follow through on.

Could you be specific?  I'm not sure I've threatened anything other than to warn and boot people fighting over trump here.

Somewhere earlier in this thread the people bickering over term limits were warned to stop derailing the thread. I'm not going back through the entire history trying to find it, so my apologies it if wasn't you.

If not, my apologies.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It was me I just asked people to stop the thread sliding.

Dont taze me, bro!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is a path to a vote and putting everyone on record.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Site the part that forbids it.  

I won't hold my breath either.  

https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/artI-S3-C3-3/ALDE_00013347/

The more I look at this issue the more I think that it would require an amendment--so I will admit I was wrong.

I still think term limits--3 terms tops is a good thing.
Regardless of the wisdom of the policy, which I doubt, do you think there is a path for a 2/3 approval in the House and Senate and 3/4 of the states for that amendment at this time? We have a house that is split between Captain Milquetoast for Speaker on one side and Let it Burn on the other. Amending the Constitution requires broad consensus, by design and that just isn't in the cards.

If you're going to hold the speakership hostage, at least ask for something of value the other side can give you.

A token vote is worth holding the speakership hostage? Because that's what this is, this is one side holding a gun to the head of something the other values. I'm not opposed to that in theory but ask is fucking stupid. Get some tangible concessions from McCarthy.

Note: For the record, my discussion of term limits is limited to its relation to the negotiating tactics of the Freedom Caucus, not the merits of the idea itself. So don't ban me bro.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A token vote is worth holding the speakership hostage? Because that's what this is, this is one side holding a gun to the head of something the other values. I'm not opposed to that in theory but ask is fucking stupid. Get some tangible concessions from McCarthy.
View Quote

Its so token KM wont bother to agree to it?

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more I look at this issue the more I think that it would require an amendment--so I will admit I was wrong.

Regardless of the wisdom of the policy, which I doubt, do you think there is a path for a 2/3 approval in the House and Senate and 3/4 of the states for that amendment at this time? We have a house that is split between Captain Milquetoast for Speaker on one side and Let it Burn on the other. Amending the Constitution requires broad consensus, by design and that just isn't in the cards.

If you're going to hold the speakership hostage, at least ask for something of value the other side can give you.

It appears the problem is that McCarthy isn't interested in giving any concessions. He thinks he's entitled to the speakership and these holdouts are just an annoyance. Anyone that clueless shouldn't be the SOTH and 3rd in line for the Presidency.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kevin McCarthy gave 46% of his votes to Nancy Pelosi in the last 6 years.

Nancy Pelosi gave 7% of her vote to Republicans in the last 6 years.
View Quote

Nor surprising...

ETA: Not...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mitch McConnell could resign today and he would still have control over almost everything that happens in DC.  He has connections, appointed officials, appointed cabinet members, appointed judges, and personally knows every single high value donor.  Ever here of the "Good Ole Boys Club"?  It is real and it is how politics work.  Some of the state level positions in Kentucky are term limited as well, yet Ryan Quarles who has strong connections with the state level establishment has been holding one office or another for over a decade and now he is running for Governor.  The establishment, state or federal, gets their anointed people in power and they keep pushing the same agenda whether it is the same position or not.  

Ask yourself this: does a Commissioner of Agriculture meet with legislators, propose legislative changes to them, and speak at committee meetings?  The answer is yes.  At that point does it doesn't matter if they are legislator casting the vote or the one working with the legislators to draft the bill, the end result is the same legislative agenda and changes get passed.  If someone is term limited after 8 years and hold 3 different positions then they have political power and influence for 24 years.  That is a lot of people hired, people appointed, and connections with donors.

The only thing term limits really does is create an opening for the people to become active and disrupt the establishment.  But people actually have to become activists and push for changes and 99% of the time that is too much work for people.
View Quote
Exactly, and that's how it works in FL.

And that's it for now.... since we're twenty minutes from the festivities starting up again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It appears the problem is that McCarthy isn't interested in giving any concessions. He thinks he's entitled to the speakership and these holdouts are just an annoyance. Anyone that clueless shouldn't be the SOTH and 3rd in line for the Presidency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree 100% on this. If he had the skills necessary to be speaker, he would have had this shit wrapped up with a bow behind closed doors before Christmas. This is one of those situations where if there's any question whether you're the guy, you're not the guy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Term limits argument:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you say that Senate President isn't a separate elected position. Then does that mean they have to be elected in their district?
Correct, it isn't a statewide office. The FL Senate President is selected amongst thr Senators within the State Senate. The people have no say in the matter. If Senator Bob from Miami wants to be Senate President, it is just like what you're seeing for the Federal House of Representatives with McCarthy right now.

Again, term limits don't stop corruption. Wilton Simpson became the Senate President because it was "his turn" since he was the "senior lawmaker" who was previously the Majority Leader. Just like McCarthy. Same with Galvano and Passidomo.

Ego is a big problem with career politicians, especially ones that think they are "entitled" to the job. This fiasco is a "I'm in charge and you're not" kind of idiocy. He needs to get over himself if he wants to be Speaker. If he can't, then he'll never be Speaker.

Guess what, term limits doesn't stop that. It accelerates it. Instead of 40 years, it is 8 years.

OK, so if Joe Blow gets term-limited out from being elected in his district, by definition, he can't be Senate President any more. You see how this works?

Term limits absolutely stops the kind of career corruption we see in DC. There wouldn't be a "ranking member" as all of them would be either on term 1 or 2.
FL has an eight-year term limits for Senators. Former members that hit thr term could be elected again after a two-year break. They traditionally run for another office and come back. So if Senator Joe Blow is termed out, he runs for County Dog Catcher and runs again for Senate and wins. Thus, he is the ranking lawmaker with time in office. Traditionally, they'll do their full allowed terms in the House, term out, run for Senate, term out, run for some high paying County Office, and run back for the legislature.

Redistricting resets the clock, so if someone is elected in 2022 and they're around in 2030 when the next census happens and the districts are redrawn, BAM, clock is reset and they have another two terms they can run for again with no break.

State Reps serve two-year terms and can serve a total of four of 'em in one shot without a break. Senators serve four year terms, hence limited to two terms.

Every two years, the Senate elects a new Majority Leader and a New Senate President.  

Dennis Baxley has been in office since 2010 and due to redistricting, the clock has been reset for him. He has another eight years he can be in office.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122381/Screenshot_20230105_020419_jpg-2661041.JPG

He's now Number 3 in the Senate due to seniority. He served 7 years, took a two year break, served another 6 years in the House, then did 6 in the Senate and due to redistricting, he has another 8, and if he sticks around for 2030, he'll get another 8 again. He's been in office since Bill Clinton was President.

So, they get two 4 year terms then they have to find something else to do (or 4 terms of 2 for your House). Some states have lifetime limits on Governorships. Seems like that would be a good practice to implement for legislatures, too. You only get 2 shots at the pig trough. Better hope you have an actual skill/business to fall back on once you're done. This was the idea of the Founders. Citizen legislators that go back to work after their "sentence" in the legislature was up.

Mods, please ban the slow learners from this thread as promised. (Slow learner because you've been warned about continuing to derail this thread, not specifically because you think term limits are the answer.)

Right now, we're waiting for the next session to see if anything has changed (new nominees, brokered deals, etc.).  Until then, I'm okay with letting people discuss anything related/relevant so long as the conversation stays out of personal attacks.

We should probably wrap up the term limit conversation before long, however, as neither side is convincing the other of much.

I'm not going to give the typical mod hate because I know it's a thankless, no win job. I will suggest, however, that mods don't make threats they aren't prepared to follow through on.

Could you be specific?  I'm not sure I've threatened anything other than to warn and boot people fighting over trump here.

Somewhere earlier in this thread the people bickering over term limits were warned to stop derailing the thread. I'm not going back through the entire history trying to find it, so my apologies it if wasn't you.

Dont taze me, bro!

Term limits argument:

Word is, Term Limits is one of the things the Freedom Caucus wants.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Note: For the record, my discussion of term limits is limited to its relation to the negotiating tactics of the Freedom Caucus, not the merits of the idea itself. So don't ban me bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree focused on McCarthy

I think the whole point that putting everyone on record for term limits is easy and well within McCarthys power.  It doesn't hurt anything to do it.  

But at this point the McCarthy well is poisoned and nothing will recover him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

McCarthy should just say he'll get it all the way to a floor vote. Everyone knows it won't pass.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

McCarthy should just say he'll get it all the way to a floor vote. Everyone knows it won't pass.
View Quote

It might pass the House. Its more about getting everyone on record.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, it's noon. Let the games begin.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And that's it for now.... since we're twenty minutes from the festivities starting up again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mitch McConnell could resign today and he would still have control over almost everything that happens in DC.  He has connections, appointed officials, appointed cabinet members, appointed judges, and personally knows every single high value donor.  Ever here of the "Good Ole Boys Club"?  It is real and it is how politics work.  Some of the state level positions in Kentucky are term limited as well, yet Ryan Quarles who has strong connections with the state level establishment has been holding one office or another for over a decade and now he is running for Governor.  The establishment, state or federal, gets their anointed people in power and they keep pushing the same agenda whether it is the same position or not.  

Ask yourself this: does a Commissioner of Agriculture meet with legislators, propose legislative changes to them, and speak at committee meetings?  The answer is yes.  At that point does it doesn't matter if they are legislator casting the vote or the one working with the legislators to draft the bill, the end result is the same legislative agenda and changes get passed.  If someone is term limited after 8 years and hold 3 different positions then they have political power and influence for 24 years.  That is a lot of people hired, people appointed, and connections with donors.

The only thing term limits really does is create an opening for the people to become active and disrupt the establishment.  But people actually have to become activists and push for changes and 99% of the time that is too much work for people.

Look at the wonders it's done for California. The Epic POS known as Darrel Steinberg, termed out of the legislature,  then runs and becomes mayor of Sacramento. Even when you get these assholes out the just infect another part of the system.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Term limits is utterly meaningless as they won't pass the senate.

Concessions should be focused on actually effectively using the power of the house, ensuring that we don't get any more ridiculous "omnibus" legislation with seven minutes before a vote is called on it, making sure actual investigations of "intelligence" and federal LE agencies will be done, etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Concessions should be focused on actually effectively using the power of the house, ensuring that we don't get any more ridiculous "omnibus" legislation with seven minutes before a vote is called on it, making sure actual investigations of "intelligence" and federal LE agencies will be done, etc.
View Quote

McCarthy wouldn't do any of that either so.....

Keep the place shut down?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#21]
CSPAN LIVE!

Here's hoping they skip the BS speeches and just get on with the voting today.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]
What's this quorum thing, not everybody showing up today ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2/3 required for an amendment. Will not pass house. Ever.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont taze me, bro!

Term limits argument:

Call it up for a vote. All Dems will vote against, the at least a dozen RINOs. End of story. Like a lot of things, GOP says they are for one thing, but don't want to vote on it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]
John James dipped in the Swamp real fast.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, because the stuff John_Wayne777 lists is within his power and worth fighting over. What they're doing is like taking hostages at a bank robbery and telling the cops you'll shoot everyone inside unless they give you the location of the Fountain of Youth. At least ask for a million bucks and a monster truck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reporting for duty, sir. Let the poo-flinging begin.

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#29]
fine then,
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CSPAN LIVE!

View Quote

As if
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Any word of a deal made?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
CSPAN LIVE!

View Quote

They can't say a simple name without bloviating...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They can't say a simple name without bloviating...
View Quote

WOOO DONALDS NOMINATED AGAIN!
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Byron Donalds again..
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Calling out that cunt Bush for her BS she said yesterday about Donalds.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like it !
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Which Bush?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Kevin McCarthy gave 46% of his votes to Nancy Pelosi in the last 6 years.

Nancy Pelosi gave 7% of her vote to Republicans in the last 6 years.
View Quote

Can we have that with $ figures attached?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Which Bush?
View Quote

Cori
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I thought John Bishop was gonna stand up, throw his hands in the air and yell "BRU-THAS!!!"
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I thought John Bishop was gonna stand up, throw his hands in the air and yell "BRU-THAS!!!"
View Quote

Who is the chicky snack behind him?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Come on man, politics should happen behind closed doors in secret.  It's better for our country that way.
View Quote

Internal party agreements are internal party agreements. They shouldn't be public discussions.

You want the public discussion, it's called a debate on the floor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Vote in progress.

ETA: Its looking like it will fail again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth be told we don't really know what they're asking for...
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Donalds up to 4 votes.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I've heard at least four votes for Donalds... it's that all that is needed to force another vote?
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Donalds up to 4 votes.
View Quote
How many is it that torpedo's  McRino again?  Is it 6, or is 4 enough?
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top