Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
We sold a house that had we just purchased a roll around dishwasher but told the realtor we were taking it when we left. When the house sold we of course packed it up. A few days before closing we get a call from the realtor that the perspective buyers were going to back out because the dishwasher was gone. I argued and pointed my finger at the realtor but in the end I wrapped to with cardboard and took it to the greyhound station to ship since we moved 11 hours away. I didn't GAF and the house had sat on the market for 8 months and I wanted it gone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I’ll update this thread when I’m at my computer (hate typing long posts on my phone) but sure enough, the walking dumpster fires that are selling us their house took the shed off the property (probably sold it I would imagine) DESPITE there being a specific clause that any “outbuildings and sheds” convey (the section of the contract was titled “Personal Property Included”). We’re one week out from closing and the deal has been all but finalized. It was a very nice shed and was one of the things that attracted us to the property.

And yes, I’m aware that unless a shed is bolted to a foundation it’s considered personal property and, unless stipulated otherwise in the contract, doesn’t automatically convey to the buyers, but in our case it was so otherwise stipulated in the contract.

And no, these are not the only shenanigans the sellers have pulled. And yes, I’ll be pursuing this. It’s funny cause I know I’ll win in court (ain’t my first rodeo) and it’ll just end up hurting the sellers even more than their stupidity has already cost them.
View Quote
Shed thread.

Sellers did that to my neighbors across the street when they bought that house.  Good sized, wood shed that was built for the purpose of keeping wooden beams protected from rain.  After the closing, the guy came up and and dismantled everything with the help of another neighbor and drove with the wood, sheet metal roof, everything..
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a house in a gated community last fall.

They took the fucking thermostat.
View Quote
That sick bitch took the ice cube trays!
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Did it burn to the ground from a lighting strike?
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Opsec brah. It's probs a $3-4K shed though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics of shed?
Opsec brah. It's probs a $3-4K shed though.
What operation is this part of?
If you're concerned about operational security, why are you talking about it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 5:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I hate thieves.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The previous owner of my house left me a ladder, seed spreader, shovels, rakes, edger, and a sprayer. All of which was like brand new.

I was super happy. I guess I got lucky.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#11]
At least you found out before closing.

It snowed a little on my last walkthrough so I couldn't see the ground outside. A few days after closing I go to the side yard after the snow melted and noticed they had taken all the fake grass! Turns out it was basically just a 15x20 rug that they could roll up easily.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That’s cold (pun intended). I suspect the sellers may have also had malicious intent; from their perspective we’re taking them for a ride but literally every bad thing that’s happened to them in this deal has been 100% their own fault.
View Quote
This is what idiots do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
She shed?
View Quote
No, water shed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Makes me feel good about buying a bank owned foreclosure right now. Its slow and tedious but lacks drama and I’m getting a good deal in a hot market.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, at least you have the other shed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Dirtbags think they're benefitting themselves but life isn't set up to reward bad behavior in the long run. Suing them after the closing seems like a good way to go regardless of the outcome. Sounds like you've already figured that out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah at this point I have some serious doubts. I’ll be walking through with my agent on Monday as we couldn’t actually get inside the house today.
View Quote
OP, its really simple, don't close.  Either get a credit at closing or find another house.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The previous owner of my house left me a ladder, seed spreader, shovels, rakes, edger, and a sprayer. All of which was like brand new.

I was super happy. I guess I got lucky.
View Quote
I had an offer on my house then got a list of all sorts of odd contingencies on things they wanted and didn't want. I still live here so its kind of odd. No I'm not repainting the house in colors your wife picks out on my dime. No I'm not going to tile* the 2nd floors bathroom to match the first with the left over tile in the basement. No you cannot have my Husqvarna chainsaw, trimmer, blower or mower. No you cannot have my honda snow blower. Or my fucking Milwaukee tools. Of course I'm removing my "miniature gas oven" (propane forge) from the garage.  There was also a list of what hand tools they wanted and what hand tools they didn't want.

When my realtor called me she was like uhhh this is going to sound odd but... and then read this list of shit over the phone.

My response was tell them to go F themselves.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well, at least you have the other shed.
View Quote
Did he write a symphony in the shed?
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Early in the negotiations for our house, the prev. owner took the wood stove. We got $1K off the house for that!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's cold (pun intended). I suspect the sellers may have also had malicious intent; from their perspective we're taking them for a ride but literally every bad thing that's happened to them in this deal has been 100% their own fault.
View Quote
They broke the contract,  walk.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’ll update this thread when I’m at my computer (hate typing long posts on my phone) but sure enough, the walking dumpster fires that are selling us their house took the shed off the property (probably sold it I would imagine) DESPITE there being a specific clause that any “outbuildings and sheds” convey (the section of the contract was titled “Personal Property Included”). We’re one week out from closing and the deal has been all but finalized. It was a very nice shed and was one of the things that attracted us to the property.

And yes, I’m aware that unless a shed is bolted to a foundation it’s considered personal property and, unless stipulated otherwise in the contract, doesn’t automatically convey to the buyers, but in our case it was so otherwise stipulated in the contract.

And no, these are not the only shenanigans the sellers have pulled. And yes, I’ll be pursuing this. It’s funny cause I know I’ll win in court (ain’t my first rodeo) and it’ll just end up hurting the sellers even more than their stupidity has already cost them.
View Quote
A shed is usually an other structure, not personal property.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I knew when I sold my last house that I would be taking all my Casablanca fans.  There were four old school heavy beauties.

I went out before showing the house and bought four matching new style hunters and hung them.

No bait and switch.

Also made it clear that they got all the kitchen appliances but I was taking the shed , washer and dryer.

Right is right
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That sick bitch took the ice cube trays!
View Quote
The previous owners of my house actually took the ice cube trays. Luckily my ex and I had multiple spares at the house I was moving out of.

The shed was a factor in me buying my house because I needed it to move my FFL operations into. But they did stuff like dismantle the built in place garage shop the guy ran his home engine repair business out of. He at least asked if they could take the stick built playhouse with them that was in the backyard. Built like a tank and my kids were adults not living with me so I said sure. They came over sawed the legs off at ground level and loaded the whole thing on a lowboy
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I rented a place once where the prior tenants removed every light bulb. All interior bulbs in including basement bulbs and those in bathroom fixtures even porch lights.

Those were some thrifty motherfuckers willing to work that hard to save a dollars worth of bulbs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#27]
No sheds in the hoa.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No, water shed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She shed?
No, water shed.
No, blood shed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, its really simple, don't close.  Either get a credit at closing or find another house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah at this point I have some serious doubts. I’ll be walking through with my agent on Monday as we couldn’t actually get inside the house today.
That would really fuck them if they've already bought another house on the condition that they sell their old house.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#30]
On my final walk through I pulled up to find the seller power washing the driveway and the rest of the house. He was also sealing the new concrete for me. We walked inside and he had a receipt for a company that came in and fixed some fireplace issues without our asking.

Pleasant surprise. We’ve been in this place for about 6-7 months now and couldn’t be happier. It helps when both party’s make life easy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a very giving seller.  I give them all the old chemicals and paint in the garage that has hazmat costs to dispose.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Friend sold her house years ago.  Had a shed in back yard.  Day before closing a neighbor down the street stole her shed and moved it about 4 houses down.

She closed without issue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Friend sold her house years ago.  Had a shed in back yard.  Day before closing a neighbor down the street stole her shed and moved it about 4 houses down.

View Quote
What happened to the thief
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did they forget to pay the $25/week at the buy here, pay here shed store.

It’s the white trash version of 22” rented wheels.
View Quote
Amish shed builders don't fuck around about that stuff.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Why would you close ? Just deduct the value of the shed from the price and move forward.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Problem is they know where you live. My daughters boyfriend bought a house that had sat empty for a year. There was a boat in a shed. The day of closing the ex-owners were threatening to cut the lock and take the boat. Boyfriends Dad met the ex-owners there and let them take it. It was one of those things where you just let them take it and be done with them. Not saying OP should do this since it's in writing. But some people just want to make things rough when they move out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#37]
OP, to reinforce your documentation, get a screen cap of the satellite view on Google Earth and perhaps street view from Google Maps if you are able to show the placement of the shed.

A picture of the bare dirt where the shed was sitting my be helpful too.

Last house we sold had a very old water softener & we added in the disclosure paper work that it need to be replaced soon. We knew it would cost about $1600 & were expecting to cover that cost to close the sale.  Buyers didn't care about that, they DEMANDED I leave behind a 12 year old $600 generator in their offer to purchase.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I rented a place once where the prior tenants removed every light bulb. All interior bulbs in including basement bulbs and those in bathroom fixtures even porch lights.

Those were some thrifty motherfuckers willing to work that hard to save a dollars worth of bulbs.
View Quote
When I move out of my apartment next month, I'm totally taking the light bulbs.

The LED/CFL ones I put there, and will be putting back the normal bulbs.  If I can still find them, maybe need a trip to Lowes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those sons of bitches
Bumpus hounds ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#40]
When  I bought my house they took the woodpile.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You never disappoint
View Quote
"Oh, nuthin much...just fuckin the cat..." -Easyrider Magazine 1986
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately nothing.......  Friend was so happy to get out she just closed and ran away very fast.

Without saying you know the neighborhood had turned to shit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

When I move out of my apartment next month, I'm totally taking the light bulbs.

The LED/CFL ones I put there, and will be putting back the normal bulbs.  If I can still find them, maybe need a trip to Lowes.
View Quote
Don't waste your efforts on the CFL's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Question to OP, if this is the latest in a list of shenanigans, at what point do you cancel and reclaim escrow?

At some point it gets past the whole I beat them thing and you have to actually live in the place.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I bought a house in a gated community last fall.

They took the fucking thermostat.
View Quote
I have seen much worse where they took the two HVAC/Furnace systems, the stove, and dishwasher.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I cannot believe it took this long into this thread for a reference to this to pop up!!

House buying wisdom from the film, “Moving” (1988).
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I had an offer on my house then got a list of all sorts of odd contingencies on things they wanted and didn't want. I still live here so its kind of odd. No I'm not repainting the house in colors your wife picks out on my dime. No I'm not going to tile* the 2nd floors bathroom to match the first with the left over tile in the basement. No you cannot have my Husqvarna chainsaw, trimmer, blower or mower. No you cannot have my honda snow blower. Or my fucking Milwaukee tools. Of course I'm removing my "miniature gas oven" (propane forge) from the garage.  There was also a list of what hand tools they wanted and what hand tools they didn't want.

When my realtor called me she was like uhhh this is going to sound odd but... and then read this list of shit over the phone.

My response was tell them to go F themselves.
View Quote
Gotta that stuff financed man.  That's some nice swag they can finance for 30 years at 4 percent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Had a previous owner swap some niceish ceiling fans with the cheapest POS's he could find. Ended up costing him 1k + whatever he spent on the crappy fans.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Toledo and the surrounding areas are super cheap for housing. My place needs enough work (no central air, original windows, gutters, floor refinishing etc) to just get it up to the value of other homes around it that I plan to just dump it for nothing when it comes time to go. It's been paid off for about 6 years. I'm thinking $20k-$30k and I won't even bother to clean the bathrooms. If my wife doesn't get her shit together they can have her too.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top