Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What do the laws of the state of Louisiana Sheriffs have to do with “reserve officers” in New Mexico?

Norwood proposed forming a Lake Arthur posse of sorts, a group of volunteers called Reserve Officers who could help keep the village safe. Because reservists are not certified police officers, under New Mexico law they do not have law enforcement powers to act on their own and they cannot make arrests.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Harry Lee, the old Sheriff of Jefferson Parish Louisiana was a regular at a restaurant I ran in Metairie back in the late 90s.  I was also hunting buddies with some guys on the Jefferson Parish SWAT team.  There was a string of robberies going on in the area and one day one of the SWAT guys brought me a badge and card and told me I was now a Reserve Deputy and I should carry at all times.  

I think this was before you could get a statewide CWP, could be wrong.

You're a fraud & an impersonator!  

What do the laws of the state of Louisiana Sheriffs have to do with “reserve officers” in New Mexico?

Norwood proposed forming a Lake Arthur posse of sorts, a group of volunteers called Reserve Officers who could help keep the village safe. Because reservists are not certified police officers, under New Mexico law they do not have law enforcement powers to act on their own and they cannot make arrests.

So... to be clear, had a Louisiana Sheriff handed them all creds you'd be perfectly ok with the situation?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

So... to be clear, had a Louisiana Sheriff handed them all creds you'd be perfectly ok with the situation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Harry Lee, the old Sheriff of Jefferson Parish Louisiana was a regular at a restaurant I ran in Metairie back in the late 90s.  I was also hunting buddies with some guys on the Jefferson Parish SWAT team.  There was a string of robberies going on in the area and one day one of the SWAT guys brought me a badge and card and told me I was now a Reserve Deputy and I should carry at all times.  

If done so consistent with Louisiana law for Sheriffs Deputies, yes.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Referencing the experience of our esteemed colleague from ARF that posted on the last page saying that reserve credentials were dispensed to him by a customer of his,  you're good with that?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait till the reporter finds out what you have to do to be a firefighter in many places.

Sure, you can run lights and sirens on your wife’s equinox.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Referencing the experience of our esteemed colleague from ARF that posted on the last page saying that reserve credentials were dispensed to him by a customer of his,  you're good with that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that’s legal and part of the Sheriffs authority to pick his own Deputies, yes.

The problem with Lake Arthur, is the entire scheme was in violation of state and federal law.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If that’s legal and part of the Sheriffs authority to pick his own Deputies, yes.

The problem with Lake Arthur, is the entire scheme was in violation of state and federal law.
View Quote

How was it in violation of Federal law?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Just to be clear, the idiot in charge gave out enough badges to almost equal a third of the population of the city at the time. (410 residents)  Most of them never set foot in the city limits or were even residents of the state. Even if they did, there is no motel for them to stay in.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
To me, this is about the same small town corruption that produces speed traps as a significant amount of the town's revenue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
This is nothing new.

Elvis Presley and his band were made sheriff deputies so they could carry guns in Memphis.

https://elvispresleymuseum.com/chief-deputy-badge

Johnny Cash was a deputy in Nashville so he could carry a gun.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/10/22/johnny-cash-history-museum-sheriff-card/3999926002/

The actress Cybill Shepherd also had the same thing in Memphis to carry a gun fairly recent.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1995-03-30-9503290502-story.html

Steven Seagal has been some sort of deputy in Metarie, Louisiana and not sure if he went through the full LEO post training.

I would not be surprised if New Orleans deputizes famous people to carry a gun if Metarie does that for celebrities.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is nothing new.

Elvis Presley and his band were made sheriff deputies so they could carry guns in Memphis.

https://elvispresleymuseum.com/chief-deputy-badge

Johnny Cash was a deputy in Nashville so he could carry a gun.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/10/22/johnny-cash-history-museum-sheriff-card/3999926002/

The actress Cybill Shepherd also had the same thing in Memphis to carry a gun fairly recent.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1995-03-30-9503290502-story.html

Steven Seagal has been some sort of deputy in Metarie, Louisiana and not sure if he went through the full LEO post training.

I would not be surprised if New Orleans deputizes famous people to carry a gun if Metarie does that for celebrities.

View Quote

All to my original point, shenanigans like willy nilly issuing of "creds" is nothing new as has been demonstrated in this thread time and again, some want to argue the training aspect,  others the legitimacy of the so called 'department' which is certainly in question.   I'm seeing an itty bitty incorporated NM 'town' that felt they had the authority to form a reserve element to serve their (the towns) community at times.  This evidently blew up into some nonsense.  The absolute vitriol that a handful hear have for the individuals is bordering on historonics IMO.  Other than the Pressberg shooting and the SEAL drug bust I don't see any other issues.  The "task force" shooting doesn't move my needle, and neither does the "$400"

I remember when HR218 was passed,  many gunboards, including this one (I lurked)  had at least one thread wondering how to "Start our own pooleece force to get carry creds and emmgees...."

Yea...

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So, they're just like any other department then?  The Mayor himself calls them Reserve officers.
View Quote

The chief was a full time officer at another agency in the state, and apparently met the standard to be a police officer in the state.  He approached the city about forming a police department made up of "reserve officers".  He was also a reserve officer as the chief.  None of the other "reserve officers" completed state approved training.  The mayor calls them what bill of goods he was sold.  No "reserve program" makes it's reserve officers pay 400 bucks a year in dues.  That money went to a 501c IIRC that was controlled by a member who was also a criminal defense attorney and would not release any info or documents on what was done with the money.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed they weren't legal by state standards, & the town failed at certifying their officers.  That doesn't make an individual reservist a fraud or an impersonator if he was told he was a legit officer, given a badge, and met the reserve duties of the program as it was outlined to him.  At least some of the reservists did patrols in the town.

The town/police department was running an illegal scheme for cash - that in itself may be a fraud, that doesn't make all the reservists frauds or impersonators.  You have to demonstrate the individual officer knew that state laws were being violated - I certainly pay no attention to how other states certify their peace officers and I can certainly see some town figuring out some deputization scheme to raise money & gain manpower.  NM has always seemed a bit backwards to me, how did the individual officers know it wasn't legal?
View Quote

Interestingly, looks like none of the former "officers" took legal action against the "chief".  Kind of smells like the gig was up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The chief was a full time officer at another agency in the state, and apparently met the standard to be a police officer in the state.  He approached the city about forming a police department made up of "reserve officers".  He was also a reserve officer as the chief.  None of the other "reserve officers" completed state approved training.  The mayor calls them what bill of goods he was sold.  No "reserve program" makes it's reserve officers pay 400 bucks a year in dues.  That money went to a 501c IIRC that was controlled by a member who was also a criminal defense attorney and would not release any info or documents on what was done with the money.
View Quote

He wouldn't release it to a reporter.  With all this fraud and now "sex crime" allegations in this thread where are all the charges?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He wouldn't release it to a reporter.  With all this fraud and now "sex crime" allegations in this thread where are all the charges?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dan Bilzerian kept his badge when he was jailed in 2014 on a felony explosives charge. He pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor.

Pressburg was convicted.

Bradley Stegmeier was charged with sexually assaulting a teenager. Police seized his badge. He pleaded guilty to contributing to the delinquency of a minor, a misdemeanor.

Grobeson left the department after he was arrested on charges of threatening his husband with a gun and pleaded no contest to making a criminal threat.

There’s more

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dan Bilzerian kept his badge when he was jailed in 2014 on a felony explosives charge. He pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor.

Pressburg was convicted.

Bradley Stegmeier was charged with sexually assaulting a teenager. Police seized his badge. He pleaded guilty to contributing to the delinquency of a minor, a misdemeanor.

Grobeson left the department after he was arrested on charges of threatening his husband with a gun and pleaded no contest to making a criminal threat.

There’s more

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more

You act like Pressburg killed someone, he accidentally shot his brother-in-law in the leg. He was convicted of a misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more
View Quote

So no sex crime?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So no sex crime?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more

So no sex crime?

Huh? You quoted his name.

https://amp.nwfdailynews.com/amp/27332577007
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more

So no sex crime?

You're the one that said he pled guilty to the contributing to the delinquency of a minor.  So he wasn't convicted of a sex crime?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You're the one that said he pled guilty to the contributing to the delinquency of a minor.  So he wasn't convicted of a sex crime?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more

So no sex crime?

LOL, your hero fucked a kid. Twice. That he got a sweetheart plead deal doesn’t change what he did. You’ll defend anything with your hero worship.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The town/police department was running an illegal scheme for cash….
View Quote

If you think that’s true (it’s not, how does one explain reserves that patrolled, helped the town out as volunteers, and never paid a dime to anyone?
Everyone that volunteers for anything (church usher, search & rescue, kid’s troop leader, etc.) has their own personal reasons for doing it (networking, carry creds, goodness-of-heart, experiences, whatever). Not everyone pays to be a part of these experiences.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  LOL, your hero fucked a kid. Twice. That he got a sweetheart plead deal doesn’t change what he did. You’ll defend anything with your hero worship.
View Quote

Not my hero.  Your hero DA didn't think he could get the felony charge to stick?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  Being a reserve officer in a legit program does not automatically make a person qualified for LEOSA carry.

These guys were not even legit reserve officers in NM.
View Quote

Did Lake Arthur fraudulently issue LEOSA credentials?  How do you know, in Alabama, if someone presents an out of state badge, that they qualify for LEOSA or not?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You act like Pressburg killed someone, he accidentally shot his brother-in-law in the leg. He was convicted of a misdemeanor.
View Quote

One of the many rumors coming out of that shitshow was that it was intentional.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  LEOSA credentials? That would be in the case of retired officer or officer that had 10 years of service, with the power of arrest, and is currently qualified to carry under LEOSA.

That is different than an officer who is currently a certified LEO with current credentials. It also does not include common things you could ask a person who presents a badge and ID card to determine if they are a legit LEO or not.

You don't even know which questions to ask or what to look for? Apparently not.
View Quote

I'm not a cop, nor do I play one on tv.  If you pulled over one of these Lake Arthur "Reservists", how would you have known his badge wasn't legit by NM standards before the story broke?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did his brother-in-law press charges? Nope…rumors are just that, rumors.

Did Pressburg have some serious demons? Yes

Did he get help, stay sober? Yes

Pressburg is a open book, he tells it like it is, and will tell you anything you want to know about the shooting. He does nothing but try and help military, cops, and civilians should they ever need to use a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more

It's like they were real cops!
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  May or may not be able to determine if they are a legit cop or not during a conversation.

Being a "reservist" does not mean automatic LEOSA carry.

What you can do is if they presented the illegitimate credentials during an encounter, charge them with impersonating an LEO later. Document and get a warrant.
View Quote

Were any of this krewe charged w/ impersonating a LEO?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

When we moved back to AL in the mid 80's.

The local sheriff gave my dad a badge and ID card. It did not make him legally an LEO in the state of AL.

The sheriff giving you a badge for personal CCW, does not qualify you under LEOSA.
View Quote
Yeah, totally understand that, at the time they apparently gave these things to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:43:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:25:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We’re they able to buy NFA weapons on Dept Letterhead and keep them at home ???
View Quote

There was a guy on gunsnet many years ago that got in trouble with the feds for that. Big chief or something.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:18:12 AM EDT
[#39]
And of course Blitzerian or however you spell his name and his famous “give me a gun I’m a cop” during the Las Vegas shootings.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more

Or the FBI.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pressburg was convicted.

There’s more

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

When we moved back to AL in the mid 80's.

The local sheriff gave my dad a badge and ID card. It did not make him legally an LEO in the state of AL.

The sheriff giving you a badge for personal CCW, does not qualify you under LEOSA.
View Quote

We have guardians in our schools in our county.  They are issued special deputy IDs by the sheriff who also provides them training and equipment.  They carry weapons and can take action under a very narrow set of conditions.  They are not considered deputies, hence the term guardians.

For those in this thread that talk of special deputies, realize that means you are not a regular deputy and do not meet the standards of a regular deputy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It all fell apart when a drunk who did not live in NM, yet was somehow a reserve cop there, negligently shot a family member in another state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were posting badge pics in major gun rags. So, no.

Seems that the spotlight on the program wasn't all that bright until the 'Robert Mercer bodyguards' story came to light.

It all fell apart when a drunk who did not live in NM, yet was somehow a reserve cop there, negligently shot a family member in another state.

In his defense, he hit what he was aiming at….
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Did Lake Arthur fraudulently issue LEOSA credentials?  How do you know, in Alabama, if someone presents an out of state badge, that they qualify for LEOSA or not?
View Quote

That is essentially what Norwood did.  He issued credentials knowing that the only way for other agencies to check the status of said credentials was to ultimately verify the officers certification with the state authority that overseas the granting of certification.  When Lake Arthur officers started having incidents outside their jurisdiction and some were arrested with creds, those checks started being made and the agencybwas exposed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#46]
You guys wear the clothes very well.

This is like opposite land.  I have a hard time y'all are here on this forum, of all places, apparently thinking you're actually defending / helping / making a point in the furtherance of freedom, state's authority over federal, and minimum federal gov.

In this thread we have:

pearl clutching
sacred cattle
gatekeeping
Petite tyranny.
hidebound-ism

and whatever the word is when a bureaucrat rifles through the book finding any reason under to sun to inflict his will upon others.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Is it impersonating a police officer if an agency is willing to send you out on patrol as a working police officer?  Walking into a Wendy's and flashing your CCW badge to get the discount - that's impersonating a police officer.  Taking the offer of LEOSA creds and actually patrolling the town a few times a year, that's an agency taking a huge risk w/ undertrained cops.

I don't think the thin blue line quite understand how much the rest of us envy your LEOSA privilege, and how much you are resented for it.  I could become a reserve officer - 6 months of full time training @ my local community college, then a good bit of street work to get past my apprenticeship.  I don't have that kind of time, and that much training shouldn't be needed for me to carry a handgun in California or NY, not to mention the continuing reserve commitment.  I don't need to know how to respond to calls, kick in doors, or wrestle suspects to the ground & cuff them to understand the laws on lethal force in the state I happen to be in, and to actually shoot a mugger, rapist, burglar, carjacker, or murderer in the act.

So good on our fellow ARFCOMers for finding temporary LEOSA creds, and I hope the free states can come up w/ some limited Reservist police category that satisfies the Federal LEOSA requirements that doesn't take 3-9 months of full-time training.
View Quote

Your resentment is misplaced.  The reason you can’t carry in California has nothing to do with LEOSA.  It is the California laws.  LEOSA could disappear tomorrow and you still can’t carry in California.

You could move to a California conservative county and apply like those that live there.  Or, you could find someone that lives there, pay them $400 for a fake lease and then apply.  It might work for a while, but it is still wrong and eventually you would get caught.  Since those ideas probably won’t work and it’s not fair you can’t carry, you could resent the people who live in conservative California counties and advocate doing away with their ability.

However, the Lake Arthur situation wasn’t about LEOSA.  It was about fraud.  I don’t know of any police officer that became a cop just so he could carry.  Many were cops well before LEOSA became law.  Cops, especially the ones in this thread, are for constitutional carry.  They just have a problem with the fake cop bullshit.  If it’s so easy to become a cop and the requirements are so low, then everyone should just go out and become a cop.  But, as you have stated, it’s not really that easy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your resentment is misplaced.  The reason you can’t carry in California has nothing to do with LEOSA.  It is the California laws.  LEOSA could disappear tomorrow and you still can’t carry in California.

You could move to a California conservative county and apply like those that live there.  Or, you could find someone that lives there, pay them $400 for a fake lease and then apply.  It might work for a while, but it is still wrong and eventually you would get caught.  Since those ideas probably won’t work and it’s not fair you can’t carry, you could resent the people who live in conservative California counties and advocate doing away with their ability.

However, the Lake Arthur situation wasn’t about LEOSA.  It was about fraud.  I don’t know of any police officer that became a cop just so he could carry.  Many were cops well before LEOSA became law.  Cops, especially the ones in this thread, are for constitutional carry.  They just have a problem with the fake cop bullshit.  If it’s so easy to become a cop and the requirements are so low, then everyone should just go out and become a cop.  But, as you have stated, it’s not really that easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it impersonating a police officer if an agency is willing to send you out on patrol as a working police officer?  Walking into a Wendy's and flashing your CCW badge to get the discount - that's impersonating a police officer.  Taking the offer of LEOSA creds and actually patrolling the town a few times a year, that's an agency taking a huge risk w/ undertrained cops.

I don't think the thin blue line quite understand how much the rest of us envy your LEOSA privilege, and how much you are resented for it.  I could become a reserve officer - 6 months of full time training @ my local community college, then a good bit of street work to get past my apprenticeship.  I don't have that kind of time, and that much training shouldn't be needed for me to carry a handgun in California or NY, not to mention the continuing reserve commitment.  I don't need to know how to respond to calls, kick in doors, or wrestle suspects to the ground & cuff them to understand the laws on lethal force in the state I happen to be in, and to actually shoot a mugger, rapist, burglar, carjacker, or murderer in the act.

So good on our fellow ARFCOMers for finding temporary LEOSA creds, and I hope the free states can come up w/ some limited Reservist police category that satisfies the Federal LEOSA requirements that doesn't take 3-9 months of full-time training.

Did the Lake Arthur scam predate LEOSA?

Where these guys flashing LEO certs and trying to get some other benefit out of their status?

I think people keep talking about LEOSA, is it's clear people were using their set-up with Lake Arthur to carry.

Are there other perks of such a status that would come into play in another state, well outside of your jurisdiction?

I mean, there have been plenty of fake cop stories over the years, but I don't exactly see the value of Lake Arthur reserve creds in pulling over young women in Colorado for their phone number.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're conflating the two.  "Being a cop" is something one does.  Carrying creds for 50 state carry is paperwork one possesses.

As previously stated it SHOULD be that easy to get whatever creds validate one for carry under LEOSA.  You guys should be finding any reason under the sun and making it cake.

But... nope.  

Protestations of being for "constitutional carry" carry little weight when condemnations of another department's attempt to backdoor it in abound.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Did the Lake Arthur scam predate LEOSA?

Where these guys flashing LEO certs and trying to get some other benefit out of their status?

I think people keep talking about LEOSA, is it's clear people were using their set-up with Lake Arthur to carry.

Are there other perks of such a status that would come into play in another state, well outside of your jurisdiction?

I mean, there have been plenty of fake cop stories over the years, but I don't exactly see the value of Lake Arthur reserve creds in pulling over young women in Colorado for their phone number.

View Quote

Probably using their creds to get LE discounts on gear as well.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top