That was the point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was the water level of lake Mead before man started changing the climate?
There was no Lake Mead back then.

I'm hoping that is the point the member was making... I took it as him being sarcastic and I applaud him for it. Unless he really thinks there was a Lake Mead 100yrs ago.
That was the point.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I once took my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry. I decided to drink whiskey and rye.

And then
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don’t worry, Biden will build it back better
View Quote

Yep, more solar panels is the answer
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to the lake to die but when I jumped in the lake was dry
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a feeling Lake Meade is too far gone to save it.  There has to be a point where evap and usage are out of control unless mother nature steps in.

This was November of 2010 when went went to Vegas. They were complaining how low it was then....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A serious society would have a number of massive nuclear powered desalination plants running on the coast of California. As well as a number of pipeline and reservoir projects all over the west. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be a serious society anymore.
View Quote

It would be awesome if somebody like Elon Musk bought a small coastal African country, removed the native population, and did that. You could pay each citizen of Gabon like $5000 each to relocate and only spend like 10 Billion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hurrrrrrrrr durrrrrrrr Las Vegas is actually adjacent a massive water source, with more than enough water to satisfy the needs of the population. Much like people get water out of the Mississippi, they get water out of the Colorado. Las Vegas uses a tiny percentage of the water allocation for that river, and then treat and return it. The rest is pissed away by the Californians, who generally live nowhere fucking near the river.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop building giant cities, suburbs, and golf courses in the desert?

Hurrrrrrrrr durrrrrrrr Las Vegas is actually adjacent a massive water source, with more than enough water to satisfy the needs of the population. Much like people get water out of the Mississippi, they get water out of the Colorado. Las Vegas uses a tiny percentage of the water allocation for that river, and then treat and return it. The rest is pissed away by the Californians, who generally live nowhere fucking near the river.

A good friend of mine works at one of the big golf courses in Las Vegas, he was telling me their water they use on the course is actually reclaimed water not treated.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This +1000.

Stop supplying water to california so that it will be forced to build desalinization plants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This +1000.

Stop supplying water to california so that it will be forced to build desalinization plants.

Or shrivel-up and die. One way or the other. I don’t really give a shit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Once more, it is not exactly going dry but it is getting lower than usual right now because California and Arizona draws a huge acre-foot allocation from it and water is being withheld from the Mead reservoir in order to raise Lake Powell. Robbing from one to pay the other.

One day the climate will shift back to a wetter southwest like it was several other times in the last 120 years and our memories are short. As long as we keep importing millions of illegal residents throughout the west and watering them, the current issue will get worse.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't worry fuckers, we all moving eastward when we run dry out here!
View Quote

Sorry, we’re full.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Edit: or What was the level of Lake Mead 100 years ago?
View Quote

THAT'S A FARGIN' TRIC QUESTION!!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Golf courses supposedly use well water.  Agriculture in CA use most.  It's crazy how low the lake has gotten just in the 6 years we lived there.

We just moved out of Vegas yesterday. Heading back east for greener areas.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plenty of water for wealthy mansions landscape, golf, wine grapes and pot
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
So it's not a good idea to build cities in the desert?  
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Things are about to go really bad for the entire area, try drinking sand.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
PRICES ARE UP AND THE STOCK MARKETS DOWN, YOU ONLY GET MUGGED IF YOU GO DOWNTOWN

LAKE MEADS DRY AND LEFTISTS STILL CRY WE'VE ONLY 12 YEARS AND WE'RE ALL MOWED DOWN..
View Quote
Spittin some bars,  man.

Can you do a rap about some NUT COAL?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t get why everyone bitches about Californians. We make movies and shit
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This trope is old. You guys complaining about cities in the desert would be complaining if those same people moved into your area.

Water is too cheap is part of the issue. $1 gets me 182 gallons of culinary in N. Utah. On Lake Mead, we’re too far behind the curve outside of a Federal emergency that levies a massive pipeline project from the Mississippi. Even then, we’re (the west) still fucked in the near-term.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#22]
They should have known letting CA draw in the first place from a river that touches a tiny bit of the state was a dumb idea.

It won't be long before all outflow to CA is shut off. Right or wrong, it's going to happen.

I was told the few years they did surveys for Mead and Powell were the wettest years we've recorded there.

Pipelining water from the East is pants on head stupid. Cali could desalinize much easier, but they won't because that'll cost them money. Instead they'll make the rest of us pay to ship them water.

I have no problem with Cali agriculture getting water. But we have to pay for it or pray for it ouselves here and they should too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]
This has nothing to do with making cities in the desert, watering your lawn, or golf courses. This is all about California agriculture.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Stop govt financing/subsidization of massive cites in traditionally uninhabitable geographic areas?
View Quote
like New Orleans.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They should have known letting CA draw in the first place from a river that touches a tiny bit of the state was a dumb idea.

It won't be long before all outflow to CA is shut off. Right or wrong, it's going to happen.

I was told the few years they did surveys for Mead and Powell were the wettest years we've recorded there.

Pipelining water from the East is pants on head stupid. Cali could desalinize much easier, but they won't because that'll cost them money. Instead they'll make the rest of us pay to ship them water.

I have no problem with Cali agriculture getting water. But we have to pay for it or pray for it ouselves here and they should too.
View Quote

What do you do with the Brine, and where do you get the power?

Pants on head stupid? In what sense? You realize the average outflow of the Mississippi at New Orleans can could supply California, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada's daily water use in 2.78 hours, right (ETA: That's taking into account ALL water use)? Impractical, ABSOLUTELY, but the excess exists. Even supplementing from the Mississippi would help. However, like I said, water in the West is too cheap.

ETA for clarity.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This trope is old. You guys complaining about cities in the desert would be complaining if those same people moved into your area.

Water is too cheap is part of the issue. $1 gets me 182 gallons of culinary in N. Utah. On Lake Mead, we're too far behind the curve outside of a Federal emergency that levies a massive pipeline project from the Mississippi. Even then, we're (the west) still fucked in the near-term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Water is too cheap is part of the issue. $1 gets me 182 gallons of culinary in N. Utah. On Lake Mead, we're too far behind the curve outside of a Federal emergency that levies a massive pipeline project from the Mississippi. Even then, we're (the west) still fucked in the near-term.

So, All the desert cities in California, Nevada etc. aren't causing the problems then?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So, All the desert cities in California, Nevada etc. aren't causing the problems then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't state they weren't causing problems. Just stated that you guys would be complaining either way.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Deporting 50 million illegals would help a bit.
View Quote

"Illegals" aren't the ones getting permits to build, or buy tens of thousands of new homes "starting in the mid-600K's" in zero-lot-line developments in NV or CA .....

The answer is to always follow the money ........ developers are nothing but locusts....they don't give a fuck if there is a sustainable water source .... by the time it runs out, they'll be ruining someplace else, or dead

Google "Lynda and Stewart Resnick" if you want to know why we are here......
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"Illegals" aren't the ones getting permits to build, or buy tens of thousands of new homes "starting in the mid-600K's" in zero-lot-line developments in NV or CA .....

The answer is to always follow the money ........ developers are nothing but locusts....they don't give a fuck if there is a sustainable water source .... by the time it runs out, they'll be ruining someplace else, or dead

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deporting 50 million illegals would help a bit.

I'll take it another layer - our elected leaders are fucking us by allowing these developments to happen. Following the money, I bet they're getting kick-backs for approvals/zoning changes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#30]
We need global warming to melt some ice and refill it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#31]
If we had just bought more of Al Gores carbon credits none of this would be an issue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with making cities in the desert, watering your lawn, or golf courses. This is all about California agriculture.
View Quote

How many gallons per day does Los Angeles or San Diego consume per day compared to Agriculture?

Serious question as I haven't seen a comparison that I recall.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't get why everyone bitches about Californians. We make movies and shit
View Quote
Don't forget the weather, I hear it is beautiful
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Part of the solution is more reservoirs in nor cal and central California to capture more winter runoff then use that to irrigate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have pictures of the intake towers from 2011 and the difference in the water level to today is quite alarming.  No idea what the solution is, whatever it is probably makes sense and so nobody will implement it.

Part of the solution is more reservoirs in nor cal and central California to capture more winter runoff then use that to irrigate.

That could endanger the natural habitat of the 6 legged white spotted tree louse or something.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#35]
It isn't just the drought. The upriver population is a thousand times what it was in the 1980's. While most of those populations don't get their water directly from the Colorado, they are all getting it from the same water table...

Downriver will eventually be "Water Rationing" people like they live on the moon. The other possibility is finding alternate sources.

One of those options costs money. Which do you think they will pick?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How many gallons per day does Los Angeles or San Diego consume per day compared to Agriculture?

Serious question as I haven't seen a comparison that I recall.
View Quote

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/08/lynda-stewart-resnick-california-water/
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A good friend of mine works at one of the big golf courses in Las Vegas, he was telling me their water they use on the course is actually reclaimed water not treated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, reclaimed water has been treated, twice actually.  The treatment process is a little different the 2nd time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Build a pipe from the Mississippi to the lake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't forget the weather, I hear it is beautiful
View Quote

Shorts & t-shirt year round. I'm in the pool today, water is 83 degrees.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sure, most of you already knew that.  I remember the first time I visited Vegas in 2008 you could see the water regression lines. What is the long term solution to this ?  

If you go to “Sin City Outdoors” YouTube channel they have some great videos.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Edit: or What was the level of Lake Mead 100 years ago?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Stop subsidizing development in the middle of a desert by using tax dollars to import water, or the much simpler: Stop watering the fucking grass.
View Quote

Import water???
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Personally for me I hope that all of ice caps on both pole completely melt down, and I will have beech front property at my house.
View Quote

I think going to Donner beach and fishing would ok. Cut a couple hundred miles off a trip to the big water.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What do you do with the Brine, and where do you get the power?

Pants on head stupid? In what sense? You realize the average outflow of the Mississippi at New Orleans can could supply California, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada's daily water use in 2.78 hours, right (ETA: That's taking into account ALL water use)? Impractical, ABSOLUTELY, but the excess exists. Even supplementing from the Mississippi would help. However, like I said, water in the West is too cheap.

ETA for clarity.
View Quote

Nuke plants. So now we’ve solved two problems and EVs might actually be plausible in SoCal with short commutes and cheap electricity.

Put effluent far offshore, or sequester it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#45]
California has a very long coastline and access to more water than most states.  They have chosen to NOT have desalination plant.  There are over 20,000 desalination plants around the world, and CA has failed to address their own water concerns repeatedly - due to failed political mindsets that ALWAYS make things worse.  

Build some desalination plants and some nuclear power plants.  Ca could be energy independent and water independent.  They could even be an exporter of both, and help others in need.  Make CA great again.  While at it, manage the forests better, and quit having all these fires that ruin the woodlands, kill people, destroy homes, and contribute so much pollution to the environment.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Isn't there a big body of water to the west of Mead?

The Pacific ocean?

Desalination my boys - Desalination.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A serious society would have a number of massive nuclear powered desalination plants running on the coast of California. As well as a number of pipeline and reservoir projects all over the west. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be a serious society anymore.
View Quote

This.

Dumbasses pump water into the ocean in CA. Enviroterrorist block any attempt to build aqueducts. Fucking idiots.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally...Posted...By...ApacheScout:
More...rain?
View Quote

I...believe...it's...snow...that...mostly...fills...Lake...Mead....

What's...with...the...dots...on...my...post?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
PRICES ARE UP AND THE STOCK MARKETS DOWN, YOU ONLY GET MUGGED IF YOU GO DOWNTOWN

LAKE MEADS DRY AND LEFTISTS STILL CRY WE'VE ONLY 12 YEARS AND WE'RE ALL MOWED DOWN..
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#50]
No lack of water here
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top