Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop building giant cities, suburbs, and golf courses in the desert?
View Quote

Ahh yes, we should all move to cesspool states like NY.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Climate change, my ass. My cousins in Commiefornie  all had to use the same bathwater and then it got bucketed out to the garden to save water, and that was in the early 1980's
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What was the water level of lake Mead before man started changing the climate?

Edit: or What was the level of Lake Mead 100 years ago?
View Quote

It was 0 inches 87 years ago, what a coincidence
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sure, most of you already knew that.  I remember the first time I visited Vegas in 2008 you could see the water regression lines. What is the long term solution to this ?  
View Quote

Master Blaster turn water on!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So, All the desert cities in California, Nevada etc. aren't causing the problems then?
View Quote

For the most part no.

Vegas may actually dump more water out than it uses because we import so many beverages for people and have a very high reclamation rate.

La does use a lot of water comparatively but it's still dwarfed by cali almonds and other water intensive crops.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll take it another layer - our elected leaders are fucking us by allowing these developments to happen. Following the money, I bet they're getting kick-backs for approvals/zoning changes.
View Quote

Sisolak’s claim to fame!!    
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
California wants to die of thirst, that is why they block new water storage dams and desalinization plants.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Seems like a good time for them to repaint that white ring around the lake.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How many gallons per day does Los Angeles or San Diego consume per day compared to Agriculture?

Serious question as I haven't seen a comparison that I recall.
View Quote

It's a good question, but I can't find that information readily available without digging into a ton of different data sources. Seems like as of 2017, California was using 1.6 trillion gallons from the Colorado River, which was about 15% more than they were allotted, but they were using other states' "surplus." It's hard to find exact breakdowns, but 80% of water used in California is used by agriculture. Imperial County is said to produce 2/3 of all vegetables consumed by Americans during winter and that whole area farms tons of other stuff that is exported. That area gets about 3" of rain annually, so they have to be using enormous amounts of water, all of which come from the Colorado River. Golf courses and parks are wastes of water, but I don't think urban areas are a huge issue, as much of that water can be reclaimed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This +1000.

Stop supplying water to california so that it will be forced to build desalinization plants.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This +1000.

Stop supplying water to california so that it will be forced to build desalinization plants.

Or just cease to exist.  I could live with that, too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Restock it with Desalinated water? It's really really stupid that a hugely populated area that is also pretty dry, doesn't have more desalination plants.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I didn't state they weren't causing problems. Just stated that you guys would be complaining either way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it's not a good idea to build cities in the desert?  

This trope is old. You guys complaining about cities in the desert would be complaining if those same people moved into your area.

Water is too cheap is part of the issue. $1 gets me 182 gallons of culinary in N. Utah. On Lake Mead, we're too far behind the curve outside of a Federal emergency that levies a massive pipeline project from the Mississippi. Even then, we're (the west) still fucked in the near-term.

So, All the desert cities in California, Nevada etc. aren't causing the problems then?

I didn't state they weren't causing problems. Just stated that you guys would be complaining either way.

They've been swarming in for a while and doing their best to live up to the stereotype.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Deporting 50 million illegals would help a bit.
View Quote

This solves it…
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The solution is to let nature do nature things.

Finding a man made solution for everything is the dumbest idea that’s come along, and has fucked us on everything from housing to healthcare.

This man made lake in the desert going dry is a perfect example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have pictures of the intake towers from 2011 and the difference in the water level to today is quite alarming.  No idea what the solution is, whatever it is probably makes sense and so nobody will implement it.

Finding a man made solution for everything is the dumbest idea that’s come along, and has fucked us on everything from housing to healthcare.

Man made lake in the desert went dry because Californians refuse to build desalination plants, not because the lake was man made.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Nuclear powered desalination is the answer.

The root cause of the issue with Lake Mead is the Colorado River Compact was made with outflow data from anomalously wet years that weren't representative of average flows.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
As long as tree huggers are holding us back on dam building it won’t ever happen, California sends so much fucking water into the ocean it’s crazy and the tree huggers are trying to get every dam taken down

This whole situation is about to get very interesting
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many gallons per day does Los Angeles or San Diego consume per day compared to Agriculture?

Serious question as I haven't seen a comparison that I recall.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/08/lynda-stewart-resnick-california-water/

Holy crap, That's one of the longest "rich people suck" articles I've read.

If true though this part stands out-

"forgotten is that some 8.7 trillion gallons of water will flow each day into the massive Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, and that 20 percent of it will get sucked by huge pumps into two giant, concrete-lined canal systems and sent hundreds of miles to Southern California's cities and farms."  

That can't be sustainable for very long.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A serious society would have a number of massive nuclear powered desalination plants running on the coast of California. As well as a number of pipeline and reservoir projects all over the west. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be a serious society anymore.
View Quote

This.

use Elon's boring machine to flood sea water to the interior. Desalinate closer mead or other areas. Use a damn or spill way to control the water entering the tunnel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Man made lake in the desert went dry because Californians refuse to build desalination plants, not because the lake was man made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have pictures of the intake towers from 2011 and the difference in the water level to today is quite alarming.  No idea what the solution is, whatever it is probably makes sense and so nobody will implement it.

Taking something from someone else because it's easier than planning and investing your own resources into a solution. Sounds an awful lot like...
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Good
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Boomers can salvage that B-29 soon without the help of Courier Six!
View Quote

I replayed New Vegas on playstation now a few months ago. Great game.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good
View Quote
born and raised in western CO.

i take pride in the fact that vega$ and kali are downstream from western CO.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Temporary solution?

Have all the liberals in the country stand around the lake, then have the media report that trump has been reinstated as president for life.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally...Posted...By...DragoMuseveni:
What...was...the...water...level...of...lake...Mead...before...man...started...changing...the...climate?...

Edit:...or...What...was...the...level...of...Lake...Mead...100...years...ago?
View Quote
Lake...Mead...issues...are...nothing...to...do...with...climate...change,...but...purposefully...over-estimating...the...water...flows...of...the...CO...river. ...They...did...this,...lead...by...LA...back...in...the...days,...to...over-pump...water. ...Los...Angeles...drains...the...shit...out...of...every...water...source...they...touch.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Mountain runoff caught by dams in higher elevations.  Then regulated downstream.
  Then a tunnel connecting the dam water diverting it through a mountain to the other side.

Utah  upper Rock creek or upper Stillwater.  Not sure what they called the finished dam.
  I was on the tunnel job and a portion of the dam.

Utah today has reservoirs due to the water projects of the 80s.  They've provided recreation and  a reserve holding with ability to send water 8 miles thru the mountain.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hurrrrrrrrr durrrrrrrr Las Vegas is actually adjacent a massive water source, with more than enough water to satisfy the needs of the population. Much like people get water out of the Mississippi, they get water out of the Colorado. Las Vegas uses a tiny percentage of the water allocation for that river, and then treat and return it. The rest is pissed away by the Californians, who generally live nowhere fucking near the river.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hurrrrrrrrr durrrrrrrr Las Vegas is actually adjacent a massive water source, with more than enough water to satisfy the needs of the population. Much like people get water out of the Mississippi, they get water out of the Colorado. Las Vegas uses a tiny percentage of the water allocation for that river, and then treat and return it. The rest is pissed away by the Californians, who generally live nowhere fucking near the river.

Mexico owns some of that water too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Temporary solution?

Have all the liberals in the country stand around the lake, then have the media report that trump has been reinstated as president for life.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Testing to see if I still have... dots...
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's a good question, but I can't find that information readily available without digging into a ton of different data sources. Seems like as of 2017, California was using 1.6 trillion gallons from the Colorado River, which was about 15% more than they were allotted, but they were using other states' "surplus." It's hard to find exact breakdowns, but 80% of water used in California is used by agriculture. Imperial County is said to produce 2/3 of all vegetables consumed by Americans during winter and that whole area farms tons of other stuff that is exported. That area gets about 3" of rain annually, so they have to be using enormous amounts of water, all of which come from the Colorado River. Golf courses and parks are wastes of water, but I don't think urban areas are a huge issue, as much of that water can be reclaimed.
View Quote

I found this-  "Irrigation is the water withdrawal category that uses the most water every year.  California's total water use has been declining since 1980. California uses more water than any other state. "
https://www.usgs.gov/centers/california-water-science-center/science/california-water-use

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This +1000.

View Quote

Yes to SoCal. They're even ruining the Delta
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#33]
If Lake Meade goes dry to the point of no return...the Feds ought to designate the canyon as a National Park --- Much like the same proposal that some locals over there are supporting.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What do you do with the Brine, and where do you get the power?

Pants on head stupid? In what sense? You realize the average outflow of the Mississippi at New Orleans can could supply California, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada's daily water use in 2.78 hours, right (ETA: That's taking into account ALL water use)? Impractical, ABSOLUTELY, but the excess exists. Even supplementing from the Mississippi would help. However, like I said, water in the West is too cheap.

ETA for clarity.
View Quote

Nuclear and mix the brine with wastewater effluent.  

Use the excess brine to pickle Hollywood celebrities who die from climate change.  Could create a whole new walk of fame!

I was just in Vegas and at the dam.  We had a Lyft driver who had all the solutions lol..  Just pipe it down from Minnesota!  Then charge 10 cents for water.  You'd pay 10 cents for water right?  You'll never run out of water you've got 10,000 lakes, just give it to us.  Right after he dropped us off we walked past a building where they were just misting water into the air.  Yeah, we'll send you all our water so you can spray it in the air.  Fuck off.  He also complained about his water bill which was less than mine even though I rarely use more than 1 unit of water(750 gallons).

I don't believe there's one solution to this problem.  It's going to require water from other places.  But part of that agreement should be a requirement to add desalination plants AND the power to run them located in California.  Along with wastewater plants over x amount of flow to produce title 22 effluent water for reuse with either deep well injection, desalination effluent mixing, or reservoir filling as their required discharge location.  And enforce immigration laws to reduce consumption growth.  Adding reservoirs and covering them with floating balls to reduce evaporation, reduced consumption, higher rates for usage with high use commercial paying a higher rate than the plebs instead of a lower rate...  long term desert reduction through planting as discusses earlier.  

I suspect almost none of these things are going to be done.   Oh well.  Just make sure the libtards move to an already libtard state like MN and fuck it up more.  I plan on escaping at some point to South Dakota.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Once more, it is not exactly going dry but it is getting lower than usual right now because California and Arizona draws a huge acre-foot allocation from it and water is being withheld from the Mead reservoir in order to raise Lake Powell. Robbing from one to pay the other.

One day the climate will shift back to a wetter southwest like it was several other times in the last 120 years and our memories are short. As long as we keep importing millions of illegal residents throughout the west and watering them, the current issue will get worse.
View Quote

That is a bit of a mess with the 2 reservoirs but both lake Mead and lake Powell are partially within the state of Arizona, Yes Mead is shared with Nevada and Powell shared with Utah. The thing is The Colorado River runs within the State of Arizona before it even runs along side of the states of NV or CA. The balencing act is the Hydroelectric production and generation for the dams, so it has to be managed in that respect. The Glenn Canyon dam from lake Powell reservoir is already at lower power capacity now even with the shift in water levels so it must be done, Arizona must take into consideration the power production, they are saying loss of 35 more feet and they will loss the abilityto even make power. So forgive me if I sound brash but it should be our water to manage in that sense, no one has a right to complain about Arizona using water from the Colorado river. And no one complains about Colorados use of the water even though Utah contributes a hell of a lot to the origin of the water. Yes there is some politics involved and there is also some ecological stuff involved that goes back decades.  But I believe that this is the gist of it. I also belive like you we need to stop the influx of growth and wait for the cycle to change. The water will come back like you said.   We had too much in the 80s.  It will repeat.

I dont want to come off as a water elitists, Believe me I am fully against wasting water, importation of more assholes moving into my state and using more of the limited resources. I fully know they are continuing to build more homes and towns to fuel the growth that lets them come here. I am against that. I also don't have issue with Nevada and Vegas using electricity from Hydroelectric dams, its cheap and good energy and It is theirs to use as it should be.

What is insane and I think we agree on this is California and their hypocritical BS. They are a costal state, they have the Sierra mountains as well as the water it provides and meanwhile they continue to waste money on the importation of illegals, the social free money and socialist BS, yet they buy Arizona nuclear based electric power and play the environmental fuck fuck games. But for them to bitch and moan about Arizona using water from our own water basin is BS, my whole state is a hydrological water basin for the Colorado River, while their state is almost naturally 0, yet they take the most water resources of any of the states in the upper and lower basins. Fuck them.

Sorry to rant Cav Scout, All that said please just don't blame Arizona for diminishing levels of the water in the reservoirs in the north. We are just trying to manage the production of Glenn Canyon hydorelectric dam at acceptable levels for Utah and Northern Arizona at affordable levels for those people who have been relying on it since the 1980s and that is honestly mostly the Navajo nation's not the incoming jerks from out of state who feel intitled to green grass lawns and pools in our desert.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Too many people, way too many.
View Quote

Bill Gates approves of this message
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What do you do with the Brine, and where do you get the power?
View Quote

The city of Santa Barbara owns and operates a desal plant.
It provides 30% of the cities potable water needs.

"...half the incoming water ends up as drinking water after the desalination process.
The other half is brine, which is about twice as salty as normal seawater.
The brine is blended with the city’s treated wastewater and is discharged into the ocean about 1.5 miles offshore..."

As far as energy consumption goes, the desal plant uses 50% of the electrical power that the city uses.

Santa Barbara gets water from local reservoirs and from the State Water Project.
It takes 42% more energy to desal the water than to import it from the State Water Project.

In March of this year the State Water Project cut the County of Santa Barbara supplied water to 5% of initial requests.

For the city of Santa Barbara the desal plant even with the electrical cost usage is looking good.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What was the water level of lake Mead before man started changing the climate?

Edit: or What was the level of Lake Mead 100 years ago?
View Quote

The same as the Colorado River.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I live on an island located in the world's largest freshwater body of water. I am good to go. If things get real sporty we can fill five gallon buckets up within walking distance.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#42]
You cant have a desalination plant because the environmental survey would take 50 yrs and a billion pages of paper work.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#43]
How deep is that B-29 now?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How deep is that B-29 now?
View Quote

Still at the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#45]
CA Agriculture uses most of the water which sucks because the result will be food/produce shortages.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#46]

I took this in August of 2021.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not some greenie weenie.

What will the continuous addition of brine to the Pacific ocean do to the salinity levels of it?  Yes, I realize the Pacific is HUGE.  Still maybe worth note or study I'd think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The other half is brine, which is about twice as salty as normal seawater.
The brine is blended with the city’s treated wastewater and is discharged into the ocean about 1.5 miles offshore..."

I'm not some greenie weenie.

What will the continuous addition of brine to the Pacific ocean do to the salinity levels of it?  Yes, I realize the Pacific is HUGE.  Still maybe worth note or study I'd think.

It will make no difference overall. The effect is localized to the discharge.

ETA, it is the same salt that was in the ocean to start and the water will be returned to the ocean.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
CA Agriculture uses most of the water which sucks because the result will be food/produce shortages.
View Quote

That won't be the only cause. Fuel,feed and fertilizer are all jumping in price and agriculture nationwide is taking a hit and food prices are going to get stupid.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Maybe if they just closed up the power generation sluices it’d fill back up.   I mean with all the left coast green energy that shouldn’t be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Somewhere around here, I have pictures from mid-80's of water spilling through the overflow "tubes". Quite the sight at the time.

When I was there last in 2010(?) it was amazing how much it had dropped.

Sooner or later, somethings going to have to change.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top