Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on CA, specifically redrawing rights and them supplementing with desalination plants?
I know they have built about 5, with one in Huntington Beach.
View Quote

The Huntington Beach desal plant permit was denied by the California Coastal Commission in May of 22.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are you sure? Have you recently checked?
View Quote

He put an airtag in it.    
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If your job gives you a pay cut, opening more savings accounts won't magically create you more money.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Huntington Beach desal plant permit was denied by the California Coastal Commission in May of 22.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on CA, specifically redrawing rights and them supplementing with desalination plants?

Sounds like a smart decision.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How deep is that B-29 now?

Still at the bottom.

Just a hunch.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Let's get this out of the way first, all this talk about water supply is nothing but hot air, NOT a thing will happen until the water stops flowing, only then will something happen.

The original water allotment numbers were flawed due to bad data and everything since then is built on this house of cards.

And like others have stated, desalination is  a option but it's expensive and then you have the discharge brine stream, what if California added a huge amount of desalination plants (not that the tree huggers would allow that) what effect would a large number of brine discharges along the California coast do to the marine life?

Here on the rock we have 2 options for water if you need your cisterns filled due to low rainfall. Well water ?? or desalinated water from WAPA

The desalinated water is more than $100 more expensive per truck load than the same amount of well water. And the last truck I ordered to fill my pool with well water after repairs with 5500 gallons  of water was $330
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a resource standpoint, it looks like a stupid decision, but from an economic standpoint there was a lot of relief from people that didn't want to have to pay for really expensive water.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://scitechdaily.com/images/Sand-Dunes.jpg

History has countless examples and it seems to come down to these two bullet points:

-Don't build cities in deserts.

-When the desert comes for your city, move.

That seems to work pretty well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:What is the long term solution to this ?  

History has countless examples and it seems to come down to these two bullet points:

This seems to sum it up nicely!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:What is the long term solution to this ?  

This seems to sum it up nicely!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not some greenie weenie.

What will the continuous addition of brine to the Pacific ocean do to the salinity levels of it?  Yes, I realize the Pacific is HUGE.  Still maybe worth note or study I'd think.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

See the upper right corner? That's the whole west coast. The bottom left is Australia. Yeah, the Pacific is kinda big.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453455/Screenshot__25__png-2416181.JPG

See the upper right corner? That's the whole west coast. The bottom left is Australia. Yeah, the Pacific is kinda big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not some greenie weenie.

What will the continuous addition of brine to the Pacific ocean do to the salinity levels of it?  Yes, I realize the Pacific is HUGE.  Still maybe worth note or study I'd think.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/453455/Screenshot__25__png-2416181.JPG

Pump the brine to the Salton Sea.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What does the bolded part mean?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this rate there will be a mass water refuge migration the likes of which this country has never seen.

What does the bolded part mean?

More west coast leftists heading east.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If your job gives you a pay cut, opening more savings accounts won't magically create you more money.
View Quote
Arizona captures a fuck ton of the water that falls in the Tonto basin and we direct it into the water table.  There are several reservoirs near Phoenix for this.  

California could capture all the water they need and run canals down to southern Cali and get off the Colorado supply completely but the eco freaks there are more concerned about random bugs or frogs or whatever having to adapt than the human population.   For some reason bleeding the Colorado dry isn't an environmental concern to these idiots.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stop building giant cities, suburbs, and golf courses in the desert?
View Quote

That's quitter talk.  

It's an entirely solvable problem that doesn't involve anyone leaving the desert.

They straight up just have to use less water and by no means are the Lower Basin's users optimized on their water usage.  

It's only gotten to this point because it is feasible to be at this point.  When the can is still able to be kicked down the road, the politically optimal solution is to kick the can down the road.  It does appear we are nearing the end of that strategy but there's a whole array of water saving measures that can be employed before it's actually a crisis that could displace people.

Las Vegas has already figured out how to get it done on a tiny allocation of water from the Colorado River.  The entire state of Nevada gets only 4% of the Lower Basin's allocation with the rest going to California and Arizona.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just what it says

There will be millions of people that will have to relocate due to lack of water. Presumably they will go where water is available.

It will start with people having family or friends in non drought areas and packing up the family truckster much like our ancestors loaded up the wagons during the dust bowl.

The smart ones will get out before the rush (mass migration).
View Quote
Unlikely.  They will probably just force farmers out of business which will create more than enough water for the cities.   Farmng in a drought in the desert is kindof THE problem.   We'll have to import more food.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
The notion that water should be stolen from already dry areas to make uninhabitable areas habitable without any negative outcomes is a sure sign of a lack of brainpower.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Unlikely.  They will probably just force farmers out of business which will create more than enough water for the cities.   Faing in a drought in the desert is kindof THE problem.   We'll have to import more food.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just what it says

There will be millions of people that will have to relocate due to lack of water. Presumably they will go where water is available.

It will start with people having family or friends in non drought areas and packing up the family truckster much like our ancestors loaded up the wagons during the dust bowl.

Unlikely.  They will probably just force farmers out of business which will create more than enough water for the cities.   Faing in a drought in the desert is kindof THE problem.   We'll have to import more food.

And before that happens, Farmers will be forced into less water hungry crops.  There's a long road of water "austerity" measures that are going to get played out before it's game over.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And before that happens, Farmers will be forced into less water hungry crops.  There's a long road of water "austerity" measures that are going to get played out before it's game over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just what it says

Yeah they'll do what they gotta do and hopefully wetter years come back and the farming restrictions will go back to normal.  There is zero chance they'll starve the cities before starving the farmers.   We'll have some water restrictions I'm sure but at the end of the day the urban will take priority as long as we can import food.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Let's get this out of the way first, all this talk about water supply is nothing but hot air, NOT a thing will happen until the water stops flowing, only then will something happen.

The original water allotment numbers were flawed due to bad data and everything since then is built on this house of cards.

And like others have stated, desalination is  a option but it's expensive and then you have the discharge brine stream, what if California added a huge amount of desalination plants (not that the tree huggers would allow that) what effect would a large number of brine discharges along the California coast do to the marine life?

Here on the rock we have 2 options for water if you need your cisterns filled due to low rainfall. Well water ?? or desalinated water from WAPA

The desalinated water is more than $100 more expensive per truck load than the same amount of well water. And the last truck I ordered to fill my pool with well water after repairs with 5500 gallons  of water was $330
View Quote

And has that desalination plant destroyed the marine life around the Virgin Islands?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

At this rate there will be a mass water refuge migration the likes of which this country has never seen.
View Quote

God I hope not. I escaped liberal shithole colorado and this would cause their dumbasses to flock to the great lakes. Thank god they can't take water from them
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And has that desalination plant destroyed the marine life around the Virgin Islands?
View Quote

Doubt it.   Even a heavily populated Carribean Island (USVI St. Thomas) has 638 people per square km, compared to like 3000 in LA.   Having even a fairly dense group of users in a small area is nothing like having a dense set of users in a very large area (SD-Santa Barbara, Bay Area).  

But yes, population growth and the resulant uptick in nutrients,  silting, eriosion and storm water runoff entering the ocean due to cut down vegitation on the island, especially coastal vegitation (like mangroves) are polluting coastal areas writ large, and especially coral reefs and the like.  (this is a bigger "threat", so called,  to coastal areas than higher water temperatures IMO)

All this is manageable, as is desalinzation generated saltwater brine - as people have mentioned, mix it with the water you will eventually dump and pipe it out well past the continental shelf, preferably in an area where it'll go be diluted in the deep - and  won't quickly come back to the shore.  

As far as some of the bigger questions in this thread, I have one: beyond politics, is there any reason a utility couldn't set a  price of water that would apply for all users-  based on, and varying by, supply and demand?   (heck, if you want to play SJW, you can set it at like 1/2 to 1/3 for people below the median income and keep it at 1x for everyone else - to include businesses and farmers - and if you really want you raise prices in usage tiers). It seems to me this would very quickly "solve" the problem of undue use by those evil golf courses, rich folks lawns and unsuitably water hungry agriculture?  

(insert your favorite "tell me why I'm wrong" meme here)

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Too many people, way too many.
View Quote

I guess even Covid failed
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#23]
A lake is a fairly simple process.  Take less out than going in and you have a lake.  Take out more than
going in and you have a river.  They are handling lake Meade just like the Treasury is handling money.
Chickens are coming home to roost on multiple levels here.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All climate change bullshit aside the life supporting capacity of an area of land is a thing. Depopulate the area voluntarily, bring in more outside water, or nature will depopulate the area involuntarily.
View Quote

Deserts are deserts for a reason…

TC
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#25]
What can be done about it?

Well, millions of people here illegally drinking, bathing, and flushing toilets and running bathtubs and swimming pools and stuff that shouldn't be here in the first place isn't helping matters any.

But, no one important that can do something about it ever asks my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#26]
There’s a desalination plant at GITMO that discharges right at the beach on the bay. I used to love swimming in the warm discharge water

Never noticed any issues with the environment there.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I still feel like there is some sort of solar desal option that would work out. Even if it was just for dealing with brine. Just build giant solar stills, massive shallow pools with bottoms that absorb heat well and a roof that lets the water vapor condense back down in to collection containers.

Hire some child slave labor to scoop out the sea salt, add pink dye and package it to sell to hippies.

The hole concept of using expensive filters and high pressure to do it is just fundamentally flawed in my mind. Seems like it would be about the worst most expensive failure prone method. Create water vapor and then collect and condense it far more simple even though scale is an issue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#28]
The long term solution to this is not to empty lake mead to make the colorado river reach the gulf of California right before a drought period.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How deep is that B-29 now?
View Quote

The tip of the tail is about 75 feet from the surface, from the latest report about two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Aruba is a desert island with literally no fresh water. The entire island runs off one of the largest and best desalination plants. I can't believe that there aren't more desalination plants. They are relatively cheap to run, don't harm the environment and make some if the tastiest drinking water I have had.  Heck my brother's sailboat mainly runs off solar,  batteries and has a water maker....
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Arizona captures a fuck ton of the water that falls in the Tonto basin and we direct it into the water table.  There are several reservoirs near Phoenix for this.  

California could capture all the water they need and run canals down to southern Cali and get off the Colorado supply completely but the eco freaks there are more concerned about random bugs or frogs or whatever having to adapt than the human population.   For some reason bleeding the Colorado dry isn't an environmental concern to these idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

California is already plumbed from north to south but their water systems are run by schizophrenic goldfish, it's all "we're in a drought we're in a drought, the reservoirs are all down, nobody water anything", then they get atmospheric river storms, the reservoirs all fill up to the top and they say "droughts over" and a year later they're out of water again. California doesn't have that many great places to build more reservoirs and they have a ton of small dams that serve no purpose anymore but to starve sediments from getting to teh beaches and prevent fish from getting to their spawning grounds.

The entire Imperial Valley irrigation system was built on the availability of Colorado river water, they just got overly comfortable with taking the whole of whatever was left over.

They're now down to only getting their allocation because nothing more is being released, past the Hoover Dam it's California's allocation, Arizona's allocation and Mexico's allocation.

For all those saying "California is 'stealing' someone else's water", these days California is getting it's share per agreement, and they were only ever able to steal from Mexico.

Colorado river Allocations in Million Acre feet

Upper Basin
Colorado    3.9
Utah                1.7
Wyoming     1.0
New Mexico      0.85

Lower Basin
Nevada        .30
Arizona      2.85
California     4.4

International Allocation
Mexico       1.5
Total              16.5

For a decades California diverted almost all of the remainder of the Colorado river into a shitty canal that leaked so much that an entire area of agriculture grew in Mexico by drawing water from the ground that leaked from the All American canal, and when California was confronted about taking Mexico's portion, they said "well they get so much from our leaking canal, that we'll just consider that their allocation.

That's the state of California's dysfunction. They were ordered to fix the leak and allow Mexico to get it's share as an actual delivery and not what they were spilling.

We're seeing the process of California being weaned from dependence on a resource that is the result of the state previously being encouraged to exploit it to it's fullest for maximum economic gain. California was given priority in the Colorado River Compact and until they can say they don't need the water that delivery has to be honored as long as there's storage in the reservoir.

This image should illustrate how we got to where we are, for the last hundred years the river wasn't fully utilized and only came close to the 16.5 MAF total allocation around the year 2000.

The projections aren't encouraging.

Reconstructed river flows along the Colorado from analysis of tree rings (blue & black), and historical record (red) for comparison. The red dashed line at 100% corresponds to 15 million acre-feet per year, the long term average flow of the river.
Source: Southwest Climte Change Network

I find this chart most interesting, it should be no surprise that we're in the situation we are when the reconstructed flows based on tree ring studies are considered.  It makes a solid argument that different forces than anthropogenic climate change are at play.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"Illegals" aren't the ones getting permits to build, or buy tens of thousands of new homes "starting in the mid-600K's" in zero-lot-line developments in NV or CA .....

The answer is to always follow the money ........ developers are nothing but locusts....they don't give a fuck if there is a sustainable water source .... by the time it runs out, they'll be ruining someplace else, or dead

Google "Lynda and Stewart Resnick" if you want to know why we are here......
View Quote

If they weren't here there wouldn't be the need for all the extra homes would there?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#33]
The reservoirs here are flowing over the spillway.

We have had an extremely wet spring and it looks like summer is going to be pushed back until August.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

snip...

As far as some of the bigger questions in this thread, I have one: beyond politics, is there any reason a utility couldn't set a  price of water that would apply for all users-  based on, and varying by, supply and demand?   (heck, if you want to play SJW, you can set it at like 1/2 to 1/3 for people below the median income and keep it at 1x for everyone else - to include businesses and farmers - and if you really want you raise prices in usage tiers). It seems to me this would very quickly "solve" the problem of undue use by those evil golf courses, rich folks lawns and unsuitably water hungry agriculture?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip...

We do almost exactly that in Las Vegas. There is a tiered structure and it's based on connection size. For any specific size of connection there's four tiers, the lowest tier equates to basically what would be used indoors, toilets, showers, kitchen uses and the rate is very low, then there is a higher tier where most people with any kind of yard fall, the water in that second tier is a little more expensive, then there's the third tier, this is where you fall if you have a lawn, and water bills in the summer get quite expensive, and then there's the 4th tier where there's a steep surcharge foe excessive water use.

The tiers are based on connection size because a large commercial property that is very water smart may have a 6-inch connection but only use the bottom tier, whereas a home may be on a 3/4-inc connection but have a huge pool, and an acre of turf with water intensive trees that don't belong in the desert and they will get billed accordingly.

Tier Consumption Rate Per 1,000 gallons
Tier 1 $1.40
Tier 2 $2.50
Tier 3 $3.71
Tier 4 $5.51

Typical residential connection is 3/4"

For average daily usage in a billing cycle

Tier 1 First 222 gallons
Tier 2 Next 222 gallons
Tier 3 Next 444 gallons
Tier 4 Over 889 gallons

So a single family residence using 200 gallons per day will see a  charge of $84 for a month of water use plus service fees. That same house hitting 900 gallons per day will get a $1,500 water bill for the month plus service fees.

There are people that get that and just pay it too.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Unlikely.  They will probably just force farmers out of business which will create more than enough water for the cities.   Farmng in a drought in the desert is kindof THE problem.   We'll have to import more food.
View Quote

No more alfalfa exports to Saudi Arabia?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Part of the solution is more reservoirs in nor cal and central California to capture more winter runoff then use that to irrigate.

View Quote

But, dams are icky! And, they’re mean to fish.

TC
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#37]
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nijhuis/pipe-dreams-the-forgotten-project-that-could-have-saved-amer
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

But, dams are icky! And, they're mean to fish.

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of the solution is more reservoirs in nor cal and central California to capture more winter runoff then use that to irrigate.

But, dams are icky! And, they're mean to fish.

TC
PG&E used to own a bunch of lakes in Norcal for power generation. They had camp grounds for employees and their families at the lakes. It was great! The enviroweenies sued one by one to get the dams removed for Salmon spawning. Thats a large reason PG&E has to buy electricity, they can't generate it. I suspect its all part of a larger scheme to have the State take over PG&E eventually.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
California has a very long coastline and access to more water than most states.  They have chosen to NOT have desalination plant.  There are over 20,000 desalination plants around the world, and CA has failed to address their own water concerns repeatedly - due to failed political mindsets that ALWAYS make things worse.  

Build some desalination plants and some nuclear power plants.  Ca could be energy independent and water independent.  They could even be an exporter of both, and help others in need.  Make CA great again.  While at it, manage the forests better, and quit having all these fires that ruin the woodlands, kill people, destroy homes, and contribute so much pollution to the environment.
View Quote

Liberalism is a mental disorder. Not gonna happen.

TC
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Aruba is a desert island with literally no fresh water. The entire island runs off one of the largest and best desalination plants. I can't believe that there aren't more desalination plants. They are relatively cheap to run, don't harm the environment and make some if the tastiest drinking water I have had.  Heck my brother's sailboat mainly runs off solar,  batteries and has a water maker....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Desal plants are only "relatively cheap to run" when contrasting costs to bringing in water by tanker or by aircraft, otherwise it doesn't get more expensive than desal.  

Lake Mead water is treated and delivered for $1.40 per 1000 gallons in Las Vegas

California urban ratepayers rarely pay more than $1 to $3 per thousand gallons for their water.

Desal based on local energy costs $3 to $4 per 1,000 gallons was cited for Texas.

The Huntington Beach plant that was proposed was going to cost $9 to $10 per 1000 gallons.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

California is the 400lb gorilla on the Colorado, the compact was written with the expectation that they would be a super state so the largest share was granted to them to support their anticipated economy.  California will eventually need to invest in significantly more desal capacity, the recent proposal that was shot down was mostly done so because the water it would have generates is significantly more expensive than anything they have access to. For the time being that can has been kicked down the road. I think it costs about $50-$100/acre ft to deliver Colorado river water, the proposed Desal plant in Huntington beach was going to be like $1,200/ acre ft, so nobody really wants to see water bills go up 10x and that meant none of the water purveyors in the area wanted to have to get water from that plant it's currently too expensive. Some day the economics may change.

Redrawing rights is kind of touchy, someday we may come to that and hopefully Nevada  will get a slightly larger share than the pittance we currently have access to. Desal will likely play a more significant role, as well as direct potable reuse (which is the least popular solution) until that time the lower basin states will continue to make due, currently there is an agreement based on a handful of thresholds, NV and AZ give up access to a percentage (the first tier is 15%) Nevada was ahead of the curve on that one, since 2000 conservation efforts have reduced our consumptive use by a little more that that 15% so we hit that curtailment in stride, while California would panic and mandate no lawn watering at all we were able to pass that with no drama and business as "usual".

California is the slowest one to the game with respect to conservation but they're starting to take it seriously and if the next threshold based on Lake Mead elevation is reached they may have no choice because the river will be running onto conditions where there allocation won't be delivered.

Arizona is starting to step up with conservation also and looking at many of the plays in the Las Vegas Playbook.

Las Vegas so far has removed considerable turf through a turf removal program where a portion of the water from water bill is spent on conservation efforts, like a rebate for turf removal, we had a rebate for pool covers that reduce evaporation by 90% but that may have ended due to limited participation. We're now addressing "non-functional turf" the grass in medians and corporate landscaping that is 100% ornamental, We're working on efforts to improve water efficiency in the number two consumptive use which is commercial air conditioning. I think it passed where no Colorado river water will be allowed to be used for irrigation on any new golf courses, so if builders want to make another one they'll have to buy groundwater rights which are basically locked at the current amount for the basin.

Las Vegas has also managed to stretch the water budget by employing a watering schedule that changes with the seasons, one day a week during the winter, three days a week spring and fall, and 6 days a week in the summer, no water on Sundays, that measure coupled with awareness has been huge on the conservation front, with the current situation we're also stepping up efforts to curtail water waste with mechanisms in place to alert people if their irrigation equipment is broken or spraying on the street, first few instances are purely notifications, any kind of fine comes later.

Las Vegas gets about 10% of their water from groundwater and a network of municipal wells that supply is based on perennial yield of basin which is set at the amount for natural recharge. Las Vegas also has about a year's worth of water stored in the ground, and  two or three years worth of water stored in the ground in Arizona. The water banked in Las Vegas can be accessed through municipal wells that have the capacity to withdraw two or three times the current amount so we could supply 20 to 25% of Vegas's needs from wells alone, and if we decide to draw on the Arizona banked water then Arizona takes that water from the ground where it was banked and we take our portion from Lake Mead.

Las Vegas also recently finished an intake and low lake level pump station that allows Vegas access to the Colorado even if the lake reaches "Dead Pool" or the 850ft elevation where no water can get out through the dam. At that elevation the storage alone is equal to 10 years of Las Vegas's supply and Arizona and California's intakes are all downstream of the dam.  

Las Vegas has also entered an agreement to partially fund a direct potable reuse plant in southern California (doesn't require blessing from the coastal coalition) the capacity we subsidized in that plant is done in exchange for a portion of California's Colorado river allocation Looks like 25-30,000 acre ft

If ti ever gets close to dead pool on Lake Mead, i'm sure at that point there will be a lot of push for re-allocation but until that time Las Vegas is on the mutherfucker to make sure needs are met.
View Quote

Fantastic post, but sure seems like most here are too stupid to read it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:43:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Desal plants are only "relatively cheap to run" when contrasting costs to bringing in water by tanker or by aircraft, otherwise it doesn't get more expensive than desal.  

Lake Mead water is treated and delivered for $1.40 per 1000 gallons in Las Vegas

Desal based on local energy costs $3 to $4 per 1,000 gallons was cited for Texas.

The Huntington Beach plant that was proposed was going to cost $9 to $10 per 1000 gallons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

California urban ratepayers rarely pay more than $1 to $3 per thousand gallons for their water.

I just checked my water bill and I'm using about 250 gallons per day and I'm not trying to conserve anything.  My shower has three shower heads and I take my time.

So I'd have to pay $2.50 per day for water from a Desal plant in that situation and that's without even attempting to conserve water?  Oh, the horror.  

Also, sounds like Californian's are getting a good deal on their water.  Maybe too good of a deal considering the gravity of their situation.  I'm paying $5 per 1000 gallons right now here in Michigan.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I just checked my water bill and I'm using about 250 gallons per day and I'm not trying to conserve anything.  My shower has three shower heads and I take my time.

So I'd have to pay $2.50 per day for water from a Desal plant in that situation and that's without even attempting to conserve water?  Oh, the horror.  

Also, sounds like Californian's are getting a good deal on their water.  Maybe too good of a deal considering the gravity of their situation.  I'm paying $5 per 1000 gallons right now here in Michigan.

View Quote

$5 / 1000 in a place that should have no real water issues is nuts, is that $5 averaged from your total water bill or is that the usage and there's service fees and administrative charges on top of that?

I'm sure having your water bill double wouldn't go unnoticed, but having it go up 10x because of costs to build a desal plant would probably not be appreciated, that's what the rate payers in Huntington Beach were facing. If the supply from the Colorado gets significantly cut they may decide it's worth it, or someone will figure out if part of that high cost is red tape that can be cut so it's only a little more expensive, a more desperate situation may change the reception.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

$2.50 a day us $75/mo, and that's before you pay for the pipes. That's just the water cost.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If they (illegals) weren't here there wouldn't be the need for all the extra homes would there?
View Quote

30-50 million illegals use a lot of resources, including water.

Get rid of them and many things improve.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#46]
The solution will have something to do with the 2nd Amendment
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sure, most of you already knew that.  I remember the first time I visited Vegas in 2008 you could see the water regression lines. What is the long term solution to this ?  

If you go to “Sin City Outdoors” YouTube channel they have some great videos.
View Quote

I don't think there is an easy solution (otherwise it would have been done already).  However, step 1 might be to cease irrigating the desert to turn it into farmland (California).
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they (illegals) weren't here there wouldn't be the need for all the extra homes would there?

It's a curious irony that the Leftist cause #1 is the environment and the reduction of CO2 and good stewardship of our limited resources.

And Leftist Cause #2 is to maximize the transition of as many people as possible from low per capita environmental impact settings, into a much higher per-capita environmental impact setting.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

$2.50 a day us $75/mo, and that's before you pay for the pipes. That's just the water cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If thats what it takes to live in a desert sustainably then thats what it takes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:30:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Damn that western water is cheap.

I pay 8 cents per gallon,  and I can see Lake Michigan from my house....
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top