Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/21/2022 9:58:10 PM EDT
Destined for Atlas Air.

They are disassembling the tooling behind her.

Sorry for the single, not so great pic. I had to risk my life just to get this one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
What are they doing with all of the tooling afterwards?

Scrap bin?
Save it for spares production?
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Scrap bin?
View Quote

Scrap metal
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they won’t take delivery so UPS can buy it instead. We have 28 of these and are going to buy at least 2 more due to other airlines not getting their allocations.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the floorspace being reused for?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Scrap bin?
View Quote

Time capsule so future generations can ooo and ahhh over what a great country this once was.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the big tube into the roof sucking its brains out?
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Scrap bin?
View Quote

As mentioned, scrap. The tooling here is for final assembly, massive jigs used to attach the wings, assemble and join major body sections together, etc. There will never be a need for it again.

Some of the smaller tooling used by both Boeing and their suppliers to produce individual components like skin panels, interior pieces and other parts more likely to need replacing could be headed for storage. I don’t know how much of that stuff Boeing keeps any more.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the big tube into the roof sucking its brains out?
View Quote

They're filling it's bunker with the initial load of coal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
We have to keep everything in place till you guys finish and hand the plane off to the customer in case there’s a problem. (Spirit)
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

767, KC46, 777
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

Union smoke break rooms
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe they won’t take delivery so UPS can buy it instead. We have 28 of these and are going to buy at least 2 more due to other airlines not getting their allocations.
View Quote

We are getting the last 4 that will ever be made. It's a done deal...

We already got the 1st of the final 4.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
It isn't quite as amusing since they officially killed the plane off

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Time capsule so future generations can ooo and ahhh over what a great country this once was.
View Quote

Poetry.sadface
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Went through PAE last week and saw 861GT out on the south ramp. Figured she was one of the last off the line, didn't realize just how close to the end it was though
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#17]
747 was always my favorite.  Flew on them many times DTW to NRT (Northwest).

One of the most iconic and longest lasting jumbo jets ever (maybe the longest?  50+ years)  Even those with poor aircraft recognition know the 747.  

There's a reason they picked it for AF1.  

The end of an era.  Congrats Atlas Air on securing the last few planes; those will be solid for decades to come.

My 2nd favorite is probably the 777.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote

It looks like this particular bay is going to be used for the 767/KC46. There are already 767 freighter forward sections behind this 747. I don’t know if they are relocating the 767 final assembly line from the back of the building where it was relegated during the haydays or what, but they are already staging 767 parts where they used to keep 747 parts.

Beyond that, with the loss of the 747, 787 and OG 777, there is going to be some empty real estate in that building. It’s difficult to describe just how big it is.

Attachment Attached File

It won’t surprise me if when whatever replaces the 737 comes along they build it in Everett and close down the Renton plant.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are the LCF pilot, right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It looks like this particular bay is going to be used for the 767/KC46. There are already 767 freighter forward sections behind this 747. I don’t know if they are relocating the 767 final assembly line from the back of the building where it was relegated during the haydays or what, but they are already staging 767 parts where they used to keep 747 parts.

Beyond that, with the loss of the 747, 787 and OG 777, there is going to be some empty real estate in that building. It’s difficult to describe just how big it is.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2117/7C0B0FC3-08DB-40CF-9E65-361D80610FAD_jpe-2498169.JPG

It won’t surprise me if when whatever replaces the 737 comes along they build it in Everett and close down the Renton plant.
View Quote

You really think they will make the 737 replacement here?  I can see them doing it in San Antonio or Charleston. I think it will be amazing if the last 737’s we make are NGs on Line 3. Either P-8 or E-7.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for taking that picture.

I only flew on a 747 once. But it was quite a pleasant and unique experience. Flew through a thunderstorm, but I was too tired to stay awake.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]

One of the better books I've read.  Quite a cool story on its development.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I am old, since I can recall when the 747 was first introduced.  

Kalitta Air does 747 cargo plane conversions at a nearby former airbase, and its quite common to have 747's pass by.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#24]
fucken STUPID...

beyond all measures of stupid....

fuck the 767 and 777... get a better engine and revamp the 747....WTF is wrong with Boeing..
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You really think they will make the 737 replacement here?  I can see them doing it in San Antonio or Charleston. I think it will be amazing if the last 737’s we make are NGs on Line 3. Either P-8 or E-7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2117/7C0B0FC3-08DB-40CF-9E65-361D80610FAD_jpe-2498169.JPG

Well that is purely speculative on my part. But given Boeing’s trend of selling off excess properties and the fact that the Everett facility is not going to be fully occupied, utilized and productive, it won’t surprise me if they consolidate their Washington operations there.

I can see them trying build them somewhere else, too. But it’s difficult to build up base of institutional knowledge and experience. Even after 11 years they are still having manufacturing teething problems at Charleston. That and the huge investment that Everett represents would make it hard not to utilize, let alone walk away from.

Or they could just stay in Renton. But they have already shrunk the Renton facility’s geographical footprint over the years.

I won’t surprise me if the upcoming machinists union labor negotiations and resulting agreement in 2024 might play a determining factor in those sort of decisions, too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m sure the union will demand it!
I don’t know where it will end up but I see them shutting down Renton at some point. Sell the property to Amazon and just have the Paine field plant. Makes a lot of business sense
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Not Boeing, it's the airlines refusing to use 4 engine planes anymore as they use too much fuel. Same reason the A-380 got shut down long before it ever paid back it's design costs.

737 will be replaced eventually with carbon fiber plane similar to 787, just smaller; but not for a decade, maybe two decades. Airlines have to reduce their carbon emissions or the global warming fanatics will have them shut down, and no matter what the manufacturers come up with I doubt that electric planes will ever fit into general commercial aviation.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51+MdBjp6qL.jpg

View Quote

I got my copy autographed by Joe Sutter and also had him sign my 747-121 model.  It was an honor of mine when I was in PD to work with (in the shadow of) Joe Sutter and John Hart-Smith.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51+MdBjp6qL.jpg

View Quote

I got to meet Joe Sutter at the 787-8I rollout.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not Boeing, it's the airlines refusing to use 4 engine planes anymore as they use too much fuel. Same reason the A-380 got shut down long before it ever paid back it's design costs.

737 will be replaced eventually with carbon fiber plane similar to 787, just smaller; but not for a decade, maybe two decades. Airlines have to reduce their carbon emissions or the global warming fanatics will have them shut down, and no matter what the manufacturers come up with I doubt that electric planes will ever fit into general commercial aviation.
View Quote

I wouldn't count on a carbon fiber 737 coming into being anytime soon. I seriously doubt that current Boeing executives would justify the cost of design. Never mind the fact that and this is not just my opinion. Carbon fiber tech is not up to that job just yet.

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Way back in the early 90s, I spent quite a bit of time at Mal Stamper's  house installing his alarm system. When I met him, I recognized him from the old Discovery channel WINGS episode on the 747. Was a real blessing to meet him and talk his ear off with questions, which he was more than happy to answer and chat about.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Been queen of the skies as long as I’ve been alive. Respect.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#33]
There will probably be a couple thousand dollars worth of tools lost in the fuselage and wings of that thing. Kudos to Boeing for killing one of their last viable product lines and fully committing to their legacy of obscurity as one of the last great American manufacturers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There will probably be a couple thousand dollars worth of tools lost in the fuselage and wings of that thing. Kudos to Boeing for killing one of their last viable product lines and fully committing to their legacy of obscurity as one of the last great American manufacturers.
View Quote

This is what Boeing has been doing for the past few decades. And for that matter entirely too many large, well established American companies. It's not about having a growing or sustainable business. It's all about how much cash you can siphon into your offshore bank accounts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As mentioned, scrap. The tooling here is for final assembly, massive jigs used to attach the wings, assemble and join major body sections together, etc. There will never be a need for it again.

Some of the smaller tooling used by both Boeing and their suppliers to produce individual components like skin panels, interior pieces and other parts more likely to need replacing could be headed for storage. I don’t know how much of that stuff Boeing keeps any more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scrap bin?

The parts tooling is spread out over hundreds of supplier shops around the sound and beyond. Some will hold onto it longer than others. I know for the b52 some parts need the tooling built up from scratch every time they're needed. I know a shop that specialized in this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it viable if no one buys it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Been queen of the skies as long as I’ve been alive. Respect.
View Quote

Lots of, Respect

Thanks for the picture. I hope you will eventually make Bank on it. As you know......
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Did the USAF get their new 747 AF1 aircraft yet?
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Luckly had two flights in one.

Lots of flights in 737,md80 and some older ones.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:16:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I keep wanting to fly Lufthansa just for the chance of getting on one
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:58:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

787 Dreamliner - loss?   I thought they had just finally worked out the kinks to resume production on the 787?

The Last 747 - Truly History.    

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

787 Dreamliner - loss?   I thought they had just finally worked out the kinks to resume production on the 787?

Bigger_Hammer

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

They closed the 787 lines in Everett and consolidated all production at Charleston, SC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:09:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
fucken STUPID...

beyond all measures of stupid....

fuck the 767 and 777... get a better engine and revamp the 747....WTF is wrong with Boeing..
View Quote

That's not going to do anything.  Furthermore it would cost more money than it's worth.

Simple fact is that the demand isn't there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:17:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
747 was always my favorite.  Flew on them many times DTW to NRT (Northwest).

Even those with poor aircraft recognition know the 747...
View Quote

There was a controller at my facility that transferred from KADW. Person was training on GC (ground) and a Korean Air 747 was taxiing by and said individual was trying to
sequence the departure que off the ramp...

They could not correctly ID the KAL aircraft type. The trainer (and the rest of us who were present) were aghast.

Like I said, that individual transferred from KADW (Andrews AFB).

Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:19:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Incredible... world air cargo traffic demand keeps going up and the one aircraft built purly for hauling cargo is done.

Sad day indeed.

Flew on some -200s as a kid flying to Europe and one trip to Laos with my mom. Truly the Queen of the Skies, never had a rough flight.

Conversely, the second to last time we flew to France, our return flight was one of the early longer time ETOPS flights on an A321.... let me tell just how much turbulence we felt the entire flight... miserable experience.

I truly want to book a Flight out of JFK or Miami on the Lufthansa 747-8, fly to Frankfurt catch a flight to London Heathrow and fly back on the BOAC livery -400.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Incredible... world air cargo traffic demand keeps going up and the one aircraft built purly for hauling cargo is done.
View Quote

"The one"?

There are several factory freighters...and the rest of them only have 2 engines to feed rather than 4.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:28:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There will probably be a couple thousand dollars worth of tools lost in the fuselage and wings of that thing.
View Quote

Yes, this is what every other aircraft manufacturer does when it closes down a production line. It isn't some bizarre and unique mistake Boeing is making.

It is why you see companies trying to keep ultra-low volume production going for legacy production lines (like the C-17, F-15, or even the 767) because when production stops it is prohibitively expensive to store tooling and maintain the human software required to re-start production.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:34:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sad day indeed.

Flew on some -200s as a kid flying to Europe and one trip to Laos with my mom. Truly the Queen of the Skies, never had a rough flight.

Conversely, the second to last time we flew to France, our return flight was one of the early longer time ETOPS flights on an A321.... let me tell just how much turbulence we felt the entire flight... miserable experience.

I truly want to book a Flight out of JFK or Miami on the Lufthansa 747-8, fly to Frankfurt catch a flight to London Heathrow and fly back on the BOAC livery -400.
View Quote

You’re already too late for that last part.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 3:50:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I keep wanting to fly Lufthansa just for the chance of getting on one
View Quote
I had no idea LH were still flying them until I was at IAD a few weeks ago. Really surprised to see a 747 that wasn't a cargo plane.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top