Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About every six months or so I think about applying at Atlas.  I wanted to fly the 747 ever since watching Airport 75 as a kid.  I wound up in a flying job that has me home nearly every day and pays enough to cover the bills.  Too unmotivated towards flying to spend 16 days away from home at this point.
View Quote

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I flew Boeing KC-135s after pilot training until mid-2003 when I switched to MQ-1s and then MQ-9 UAVs... did that until 4 years past USAF retirement, flying as a ctr.  Am I crazy for thinking about trying to restart my manned aviation career at age 47?  I actually got a CJO from a regional.... (1200 manned aircraft hours, 270PIC).
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I flew Boeing KC-135s after pilot training until mid-2003 when I switched to MQ-1s and then MQ-9 UAVs... did that until 4 years past USAF retirement, flying as a ctr.  Am I crazy for thinking about trying to restart my manned aviation career at age 47?  I actually got a CJO from a regional.... (1200 manned aircraft hours, 270PIC).
View Quote

If you love flying and have path into it, why not? Are you already doing something else? If not, what have you got to lose? Are you going to regret not giving it try?

My main concern would be the schedule, or lack thereof, I might have to accept as a junior employee. Any idea what the schedule would be like? Someone earlier mentioned Atlas pilots being away for 16 days at a time.

I would hate life trying to break into railroading at 50-ish. Working on call, crap jobs at weird, inconsistent hours. That would just wear me out at this age. But some guys do it, including a fair amount of military retirees.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]

This may be a stupid question but do y’all have some sort of flight attendant type person for long flights?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would. There has never been a better time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Damn, Atlas Air got the final 4. I hope they keep them looking good.

RIP to the Queen of the Skies.

I fear there will never be another 4 engine jumbo in our time.

Thank you OP for the picture.
View Quote

Why do you fear that?   Engine tech is worlds better than it was when the 747 was designed.  They are far more reliable and efficient than back then.    4 engines says "anachronism".
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This may be a stupid question but do y’all have some sort of flight attendant type person for long flights?
View Quote

Yes, the 3rd and or 4th man is the coffee bitch.

We do sometimes fly with a mechanic and a loadmaster depending on where we are going.

On rare occasions, we will have someone travel with high value cargo, like art work, for example.

We have grooms when we fly with horses.

When we fly military dogs, the k9 handler rides up top with us.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
About every six months or so I think about applying at Atlas.  I wanted to fly the 747 ever since watching Airport 75 as a kid.  I wound up in a flying job that has me home nearly every day and pays enough to cover the bills.  Too unmotivated towards flying to spend 16 days away from home at this point.
View Quote

You will be gone on the 747 more like 18-19 days with travel unless you live in base.

Our pilots who live in ANC or CVG have the best quality of life.

I have been dragging my bag around the world for 15 years now, and I am burnt out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You will be gone on the 747 more like 18-19 days with travel unless you live in base.

I have been dragging my bag around the world for 15 years now, and I am burnt out.
View Quote

Damn man. There’s a couple other cargo carriers that might help you out with that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
fucken STUPID...

beyond all measures of stupid....

fuck the 767 and 777... get a better engine and revamp the 747....WTF is wrong with Boeing..
View Quote

This. Its still the smoothest flying airplane Ive ever been on...
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Damn man. There’s a couple other cargo carriers that might help you out with that.
View Quote

I am not going to be in the game much longer. I am out in less than 5 years.

If I were going to jump ship, I should have gone to Purple 5 years ago...
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fucken STUPID...

fuck the 767 and 777... get a better engine and revamp the 747....WTF is wrong with Boeing..

you buying them?   that's the hook ain't it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Went through PAE last week and saw 861GT out on the south ramp. Figured she was one of the last off the line, didn't realize just how close to the end it was though
View Quote

Look at her go!

Boeing 747-8F (N861GT) Taking off from KPAE. #aviation #avgeek #aviationlovers #airplane
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, the 3rd and or 4th man is the coffee bitch.

We do sometimes fly with a mechanic and a loadmaster depending on where we are going.

On rare occasions, we will have someone travel with high value cargo, like art work, for example.

We have grooms when we fly with horses.

When we fly military dogs, the k9 handler rides up top with us.
View Quote

Interesting, thx!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"The one"?

There are several factory freighters...and the rest of them only have 2 engines to feed rather than 4.
View Quote

He's talking about the an224 that Russia shelled to bits I think.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Destined for Atlas Air.

They are disassembling the tooling behind her.

Sorry for the single, not so great pic. I had to risk my life just to get this one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2117/350EB4D8-A177-452D-9511-1EEEA470B765_jpe-2498075.JPG
View Quote

Looks like social media stole your photo.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#17]
A sad end to an era of aviation and American greatness.

Last time I flew on a 747 was 35 years ago, and I was a little kid. Hope to do so again before they are gone forever.

As far as passenger airplanes go, the 747 was/still is THE most beautiful one to ever fly. Graceful beauty.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:55:46 PM EDT
[#18]
747, the original upper decker.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#19]
They will out live me. And B-52s.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470117/IMG_7575_jpeg-2500465.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Destined for Atlas Air.

They are disassembling the tooling behind her.

Sorry for the single, not so great pic. I had to risk my life just to get this one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2117/350EB4D8-A177-452D-9511-1EEEA470B765_jpe-2498075.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470117/IMG_7575_jpeg-2500465.JPG

Apparently it’s actually line number 1573, too. The second to last one. The last one is still in body join. That’s the one they are cutting up the tooling behind.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#21]
The Queen of the Air and will be so for decades still to come.

There is a supply of parts (unlike that AirBus Abortion) for keep the planes flying for many years to come.

Flew the Atlantic a few times and once to the Orient on 747's and would not want to have gone on anything else over those unforgiving waters.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow maybe we saw you at ANC....lol
I live in OKC so we never see 747. We went to the end of the runway to kill time after our Alaska vacation. I was excited to see so many big birds.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you are up for it, the Renton family day is Sept 18. We are opening the P-8 line for walk through for the first time as well. Plus you can see where BNSF drops off all those fuselages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I always ask my wife to take me. It’s probably pretty mundane for her after 36 years, but I still find the processes and the scale of everything interesting. The big birds never fail to impress.

Glad I got to see the last 747 at the end of the assembly line. I am hoping they have some sort of celebration for its rollout or first flight. End of an era for sure. The wife has been told that she will be able work the program right into its grave sometime next summer, winding everything down, wrapping things up and making final dispositions for the remnants. Probably going to be an emotional time when that last day comes.

I do also have limited access as a railroad employee. But would be really pushing it to do stuff like this.

If you are up for it, the Renton family day is Sept 18. We are opening the P-8 line for walk through for the first time as well. Plus you can see where BNSF drops off all those fuselages.

There have been quite a few fuselages in the Wenatchee yard this week being setup for final leg of their journey.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
fucken STUPID...

View Quote

uh they did. That is the 747-8. It has 787 motors on and its still an airplane no one wants outside of a handful of freight airlines.

Quoted:

I wouldn't count on a carbon fiber 737 coming into being anytime soon. I seriously doubt that current Boeing executives would justify the cost of design. Never mind the fact that and this is not just my opinion. Carbon fiber tech is not up to that job just yet.

View Quote

Agreed on this. I don't think we have advanced enough for a narrow body plastic plane that can handle the cycles.
Quoted:
There will probably be a couple thousand dollars worth of tools lost in the fuselage and wings of that thing. Kudos to Boeing for killing one of their last viable product lines and fully committing to their legacy of obscurity as one of the last great American manufacturers.
View Quote

If it were viable, they wouldn't be killing it. This is business 101.

Boeing held out for as long as they could. The 777, A350 and 787 finally killed the airplane.

I have a feeling you are going to see cargo carriers that need the nose loading will buy whatever the Air Force has either Boeing, NG or Lockheed make to replace the C5/C17 when that time comes. Which ironically will replace the 747s that prevents the civil versions of the C5 and C17 from ever taking off.

but outside of those very few rolls, the 777F and then the 777XF/350F will be able to replace the 747 just fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 1:41:41 AM EDT
[#25]
The only reason "we" did the 747-8 was to dilute the business case for the A380.

Of course the A380 was just an engineer's wet dream.  Clearly they shot the bean counters on that one.  Made no economic sense.  "We" did similar thing with the Sonic Cruiser and Blended Wing Body studies.  It's good to once in a while just let the engineers go wild to keep the juices flowing.  Boeing had the sense to not actually let the acid trips get built.

The 737 still flies because FAA let's "us" do "amended type certification" instead of totally new type certification.  Same with the 777-X.  Basically, if you don't touch a part of the airframe, you don't have to re-certify it.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Exactly this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly this.

Comfort level, is the biggest threat to anyone’s career in aviation.   Btdt, stagnated for ten years, but finally, it was time to move on.  I understand the “why”, but guys should know, you’re giving up millions in earnings. Getting out of that comfort zone is hard though, I’m not gonna lie.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:12:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I did some work under the Southern approach for DIA a few years back and regularly got to see a 747 coming in pretty low. An awesome experience every single time. The sheer size always impressed me compared to the rest of the aircraft, and it just doesn't look like it could be aloft. Cool pic and thread OP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:15:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What's the floorspace being reused for?

Kharn
View Quote

767 production.

Been doing some work the #1574. They are big planes. Wings are labyrinthine caverns. I would like to see an A380 just for the sake of comparison, but that plane can't be repurposed for cargo duties because its sheer size makes it too heavy & fuel inefficient. 747 is the sweet spot for efficiency at a behemoth scale.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#29]
@TimeOnTarget

You have my dreamjob. Quite literally!

Last January I took my kid to Phoenix Sky Harbor. If you drive all the way to the top of the Terminal 4 parking structure, you can see most of the east side of the airport ops. Shebhad a blast and planted the seed of aviation. She calls out airplanes now whenever she sees or hears them.

On the way home I noticed either a -400 or -8I in Atlas Air livery. Definitely put a smile on my face knowing the 74 will still be in the air flying passengers.

Does Atlas have a large passenger charter fleet or was the 74 I saw the lone passenger variant you guys own?

Is there a scramble from commercial passenger pilots to come over to cargo when passenger carriers do their slow cycle layoff nonsense?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@TimeOnTarget

Last January I took my kid to Phoenix Sky Harbor. If you drive all the way to the top of the Terminal 4 parking structure, you can see most of the east side of the airport ops. Shebhad a blast and planted the seed of aviation. She calls out airplanes now whenever she sees or hears them.

On the way home I noticed either a -400 or -8I in Atlas Air livery. Definitely put a smile on my face knowing the 74 will still be in the air flying passengers.

Does Atlas have a large passenger charter fleet or was the 74 I saw the lone passenger variant you guys own?

Is there a scramble from commercial passenger pilots to come over to cargo when passenger carriers do their slow cycle layoff nonsense?
View Quote

It's a small world. I flew helicopters in the Arizona National Guard at Papago AAF many years ago.

We have a handful of passenger birds. Some of them are in a VIP type configuration, which is probably what you saw, that we use for sports teams, etc. We also have normal ones that we use for  the military.

I consider myself quite fortunate to be on the 747 as this is a second career for me. I started late in the airline business. I am retired military, and I never thought that I would end up becoming a 747 captain.

This is one our PAX birds, but it has been repainted to our normal livery now.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Rated epic, just for the pics alone. Keep them and the stories coming!

I have flown 747's too many times to count.

The more memorable one was a round the world trip right before my first child's baby shower. I left PHX, to LHR on 747, then a few hops around europe in forgettable Airbus garbage, then Vienna to Singapore in a 747, then Singapore back to LAX in a 747 on Cathay. I've flown Cathay more times than I can count, usually in biz class up top in the hump. I landed back in PHX at 6am. Baby shower started at 10am. Wife was not amused, but she was waddling slow at this point, so I could evade her easily.

I have some Ambien walrus stories in that plane too.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Our training center is in Miami, and I just completed my annual recurrent training and check ride. When you fly four engine jets, you are required to perform a landing with two engines out on the same side which is the worst case scenario. Well, all engines out would actually be WCS, but you get the point. It is a challenging maneuver, and the key is to never get slow. We do all of our training in a simulator which is common practice at the 121 airlines. We own several 747 sims, but we also use the Boeing and Pan Am sims too.

One of our SIMS.
Attachment Attached File

Pan Am was huge in Miami back in the day, and although the airline is long gone, there is a training center that retains the name.
Here is a gigantic model of a classic passenger model that sits in the lobby. There are tons of historical stuff on the walls. It's really cool.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A mural.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#35]
You could play football in here.
Attachment Attached File

Mount Fuji going into Yokota AFB.
Attachment Attached File

This is all I can see from my window. I wish they had put cameras on the new -8s.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#36]
-8 wing
Attachment Attached File

The -8 zoomable moving map on the Nav Display is my favorite upgrade from the 400.
Attachment Attached File

The -8 GENx engines are huge. The fan blades are carbon with titanium edges. They are very quiet.
Attachment Attached File

Departing out of Hong Kong.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wouldn't count on a carbon fiber 737 coming into being anytime soon. I seriously doubt that current Boeing executives would justify the cost of design. Never mind the fact that and this is not just my opinion. Carbon fiber tech is not up to that job just yet.

View Quote

Biggest benefit of Composite in Commercial Aviation is in manufacturing the fuselage, Wing skins, vertical and horizontal stabilizers, and all control surfaces of Carbon fiber. Wings made of aluminum is a known element of design that still has a good merit to last a while in aviation.

Carbon Fiber in a pressurized fuselage alone is a big deal.

Pressurized fuselages all Blow up like balloons during pressurization at altitude. Aluminum will experience metal fatigue more in the fuselage than in the wings. Take off cycles are the limiting factor. Making the Fuse from Carbon fiber extendes the life of the bird and makes it safer. BUT the industry has to figure out the maintenance and repair regime so we don't have another JAL123.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#38]
@TimeOnTarget

I’d like to thank you for your contribution to this thread, the pics and insight have been awesome!

Thanks again!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@TimeOnTarget

I’d like to thank you for your contribution to this thread, the pics and insight have been awesome!

Thanks again!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@TimeOnTarget

Thanks again!!
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@TimeOnTarget

Thanks again!!

+1

NOw we just need him to do some live posting from the flight deck

And thx to you @Boomer for starting the thread.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
BUT the industry has to figure out the maintenance and repair regime so we don't have another JAL123.

View Quote

To be fair, it doesn’t matter how thorough and well established maintenance and repair procedures are if the people doing the work aren’t adhering to them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Its truly a sad day. The 47 was a game changer.

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

PICs never do it justice. Standing at one end looking back down the cargo bay is amazing.

@TimeOnTarget
Chances are yuge I helped build that particular jet you're flying

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

PICs never do it justice. Standing at one end looking back down the cargo bay is amazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I think one of the reasons that the 747 has captured my interest for so long is because of the experience 20 year old me had when reporting to the Everett Boeing plant for my first day of work in 1988. Walking under a new 747-400 in final assembly and just being awestruck at the sheer size of it, thinking “Holy shit, this thing actually leaves the ground?!?” was imprinted in my mind. You might even say indelibly burned into my hippocampus.

It’s one thing to see them from a distance at the airport or in flight or even when boarding one, it’s quite another to get up close and personal with one that gives you a perspective of just how damn big they really are.

PS, you still on the 47 line? Or get reassigned already?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Another epic thread rating submitted.

Thanks to ALL who have posted pics of the Queen!
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I am sure I have posted this before, but here's another one of my favorites, an older pic of the 747 assembly line.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, we fly them all. Freighters, converted freighters, passenger 400's, -8s, and LCFs.

Flying at Atlas is like a box of chocolates.
View Quote

A rancid box of chocolates at your rates...
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why don't you come to Purple, like the rest of your Bubbas? WAY more pay, WAY better benefits, WAY better career.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@TimeOnTarget

View Quote

You obviously know NOTHING about Atlas. They suck. People leave there as soon as they get some heavy time. Only lifers stay.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top