BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
@blademan

Awesome pictures! Thanks for posting them.

I bet we have crossed paths on the ANC ramp many times.

Small world...
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I had my shot at sitting up front in first class with all the Officers and E-7's and above...

Fuck that, I hung back in coach with my platoon.
The Stews handed out decks of playing cards and latter warm towels.

I had a chance to talk with one during take off as her jump seat was across from me.

She told me they loved .Mil contract flights as we were so nice and polite and happy for any little amenity we got, unlike the civy passengers who were entitled and could never please them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Boeing 747-400 Flight Deck/Cockpit Escape Hatch Instruction Video

Lufthansa Boeing 747-400 Flight Deck/Cockpit Escape Hatch Instruction Video
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@blademan

Awesome pictures! Thanks for posting them.

I bet we have crossed paths on the ANC ramp many times.

Small world...
View Quote

Lol!  Yes we have, and yes it is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Never flown on a 747....which is a bummer.

Been on a few long-range transoceanic flights, and they were either 787 or 777 aircraft.

Possibly headed to Perth, Australia for work, and when I looked at the possible flights to get a travel quote for the customer, the aircraft was the 787 for the long legs.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 787, I just want to experience the 747.
View Quote

I’ve flown a few times on 747’s. One trip was with KLM, but the rest were trips to and from Australia. Flying with Qantas on the Queen was perfection. I’d go Sydney to Dallas, and then Dallas to Brisbane. That was perfect as I was living in Brisbane. When they got A380’s on the Sydney-Dallas route, they didn’t need to get fuel in Brisbane anymore for the return. My last flight back to the US was then on a 777. They are nice, but they are not 747 nice
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Been a while since I’ve taken photos at ANC but always some great planes around!

Link Posted: 8/27/2022 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Cool pictures!  Yeah, ANC is a great place for watching aircraft, especially heavy jets.  We are usually something like number 4 in the world for cargo.  We are about 9 1/2 hours from most of the industrialized world, so ANC is a huge truck stop for heavy jets moving cargo around the world.  Heavy jets can load up with cargo, put on enough gas to get here, gas up again and continue on to their destination.  More payload instead of gas makes ANC a valuable stop over for cargo traffic.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Apparently it’s actually line number 1573, too. The second to last one. The last one is still in body join. That’s the one they are cutting up the tooling behind.
View Quote

Came to post that. Saw it on Paine field twitter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's a small world. I flew helicopters in the Arizona National Guard at Papago AAF many years ago.

We have a handful of passenger birds. Some of them are in a VIP type configuration, which is probably what you saw, that we use for sports teams, etc. We also have normal ones that we use for  the military.

I consider myself quite fortunate to be on the 747 as this is a second career for me. I started late in the airline business. I am retired military, and I never thought that I would end up becoming a 747 captain.

This is one our PAX birds, but it has been repainted to our normal livery now.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/N322SG_jpg-2500968.JPG
View Quote

U fly with Miami Rick before?. He was on the 747 as FO. Then upgraded to 767 Capt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
U fly with Miami Rick before?. He was on the 747 as FO. Then upgraded to 767 Capt.
View Quote

I might have, but I try to stay far away from Miami.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Moses Lake was a storage location for years.  I don't know about now.

Fighter size tools, jigs, and fixtures require scads of space.  It has to be close to 100 times more for airliners.

All of it lots of work and cost to move.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scrapping airplane tooling as the same level of depravity as burning the great ancient Alexandria library.

As said earlier, this is the standard in the aerospace industry.

There is not enough space to store all of those fixtures and jigs and tools indefinitely, and even if they did the loss of the human software to make it all work and the subcontractors to provide the parts means that the line couldn't be realistically re-started financially.

Fighter size tools, jigs, and fixtures require scads of space.  It has to be close to 100 times more for airliners.

Moses Lake used to be Boeing's Area 51.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scrapping airplane tooling as the same level of depravity as burning the great ancient Alexandria library.

There is not enough space to store all of those fixtures and jigs and tools indefinitely, and even if they did the loss of the human software to make it all work and the subcontractors to provide the parts means that the line couldn't be realistically re-started financially.

I would say Plant 2 across from Boeing Field used to be Boeing’s Area 51. That and the area towards the south end of Boeing Field where they used to do lot of the military mods to aircraft. Was always AWACS, the 747 ABL, etc parked down there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would say Plant 2 across from Boeing Field used to be Boeing's Area 51. That and the area towards the south end of Boeing Field where they used to do lot of the military mods to aircraft. Was always AWACS, the 747 ABL, etc parked down there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say Plant 2 across from Boeing Field used to be Boeing's Area 51. That and the area towards the south end of Boeing Field where they used to do lot of the military mods to aircraft. Was always AWACS, the 747 ABL, etc parked down there.

For aircraft, the Development Center at the south end of Boeing Field was Boeing's Seattle Area 51.  The DC went black in late 1980 with the B-2 Stealth Bomber contract.  We did work there testing the effectiveness of shield rooms for black projects.  There was shield room housing a black project in the very center of the 9-101 building.  The name of the project was classified.  Since we couldn't say the actual name, our name for the project was "The Meat Locker".  That project, for some reason, had a very high percentage of hot looking women working for it.    We loved going there!

The DC is where Boeing's portion of the B-2 (less the main landing gear) were developed.  We were there when the first B-2 wings did their trip to S CA to Northrop.  Middle of the night-type operation with a blacked out C-5.

Another team that was located at the DC at the time due to it's security was the Boeing Commercial Airplane group assigned to support the NTSB, specifically support of airplane crashes.  The kinds of people that have airplanes assigned to them and go to work with an already packed bag.

Plant II was mostly machine shops in the 80's, then they tore it down some time after 2008 or so.  There was one area of interest at PII:  A high power very large Xray machine.  They used it one time to find metal shavings in a whole tractor trailer of frozen hamburger.  It was a pretty large room (obviously) with +3' thick concrete walls.  Boeing also used to own and operate a nuclear reactor on the SE side of 16th Ave and the Duwamish River.  GE says there is a marina there now.  Another interesting part of PII was the large lead melting plant they had at the north end of the main PII area south of 16th Ave (2-15 building maybe, don't remember).  Anyway, they would make all kinds of forms for sheet metal parts.  They had big hydraulic slam presses (I don't know the technical term for them) that were either in the same building or the next building over.  We could feel the vibrations north all the way to the 2-10 building when they were being used.

My first job at Boeing was at Plant II, including the main plant building south of 16th Ave and then later at the 2-10 building north of 16th (Earwax program).  I see from GE that the 2-10 is still standing.  Holy Shirt, that thing was obsolete back in the 80's!  You would walk in on a Monday morning and the smell of rotting paper and cigarettes would just about knock you over.  It didn't help that the west end was supported by wooden piles going into the smelly Duwamish River.  Huge rats lived there.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What are they doing with all of the tooling afterwards?

Scrap bin?
Save it for spares production?
View Quote

Sell it to China?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's the floorspace being reused for?

Kharn
View Quote

Diversity and Equity training likely.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kind of think it still is to some extent. A number of night flights still take place, not like the old days but there are still some hard to pass off as civil air traffic late night in the desolate parts south and west of Moses Lake airport.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I kind of think it still is to some extent. A number of night flights still take place, not like the old days but there are still some hard to pass off as civil air traffic late night in the desolate parts south and west of Moses Lake airport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of my experience up in Seattle is from the 80's when I lived up there.  I have no idea what's going on now.  Plus, I retired from Boeing in 2012.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Cool pictures!  Yeah, ANC is a great place for watching aircraft, especially heavy jets.  We are usually something like number 4 in the world for cargo.  We are about 9 1/2 hours from most of the industrialized world, so ANC is a huge truck stop for heavy jets moving cargo around the world.  Heavy jets can load up with cargo, put on enough gas to get here, gas up again and continue on to their destination.  More payload instead of gas makes ANC a valuable stop over for cargo traffic.
View Quote

All that and the busiest sea plane base in the world, makes me miss living there some days.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks, I am sure I will eventually. I saw 860 on the ramp at ANC last month.

MRAPS into Bagram.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/MRAP_JPG-2498502.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/MRAP2_JPG-2498503.JPG

Some of my homeboys who were deployed at Bagram when we landed. It was surreal to see all of my friends and then leave again.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/CaliBoys_JPG-2498504.JPG
View Quote

@TimeOnTarget

What month/year did you deliver those MRAPs to BAF?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool, do you work on that line?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@TimeOnTarget

What month/year did you deliver those MRAPs to BAF?
View Quote

Atlas was the first company that delivered MRAPS. My first flight out of CHS was in January, 2010. We had only been doing these flights a short while at that point.

We were the only carrier who could do it initially. Other companies complained to the DOD that they weren't gettin any of the action. Sadly, National paid a heavy price for their methods.

I flew numerous flights into Bagram, Kandahar, and Kabul over the years, but I never flew into Bastion with Altas.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All that and the busiest sea plane base in the world, makes me miss living there some days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been a few crashes this summer on that side...
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I flew as crew on-board NAS Whidbey's station C-12's sometimes we would do touch and goes at Moses Lake until we puked.
One time we were in the pattern by ourselves while a B-52 and a 747 traded touch and goes / missed approaches on the cross runway.
On the other side was a helicopter pilot doing training.
Real busy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK3EYLgpOB0
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK3EYLgpOB0

Ouch! I don’t think that one is going to buff out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dear NightFlyer,

If only we could all be as lucky, talented, and beautiful as you. If I had your money, I'd throw mine away.

Purple really made a mistake not hiring me 20 years ago, but I was busy flying dying and maimed men on the battlefield. I would have been a loyal and grateful employee.

I can only dream of what your life must be like as the most well compensated captain in the world. You really deserve it.

I am surprised you have time to shit post in every one of these threads. I thought you'd be too busy slaying super models on your boat...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A rancid box of chocolates at your rates...

Dear NightFlyer,

If only we could all be as lucky, talented, and beautiful as you. If I had your money, I'd throw mine away.

Purple really made a mistake not hiring me 20 years ago, but I was busy flying dying and maimed men on the battlefield. I would have been a loyal and grateful employee.

I can only dream of what your life must be like as the most well compensated captain in the world. You really deserve it.

I am surprised you have time to shit post in every one of these threads. I thought you'd be too busy slaying super models on your boat...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Nicely done.  Sounds like someone has a large watch and a small.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Out with the old, in with the new...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/464099/KIMG0302_JPG-2501833.jpg

There's a carbon fiber horizontal stabilizer for the 787, fresh off the boat from Italy, in the box I'm hauling today.
View Quote

You're a skateboarder?

I had a break in aviation from 2012-2014 and was one as well.

Ran a '79 Kenworth K100C flattop big bunk toting a 48' flat.  Hauled lumber, coils, steel, bees...almost anything you could strap onto a trailer.

I must say flying is a lot easier!
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Airplanes unable to be delivered to customers originally because of the MAX grounding and certification issues and subsequent rework. Then compounded by the COVID shutdowns. Double whammy for Boeing. One self inflicted, the other really bad timing for them. Both caused customers to delay or outright cancel orders. Chinese airline are due about half of the 300 remaining MAXes in inventory, but they have not yet recertified it.

Gotta store them somewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While we’re at it, what’s with all the new 737’s sitting at Grant County Airport in Moses Lake, I bet there are easily over 100? Hell maybe double?

Airplanes unable to be delivered to customers originally because of the MAX grounding and certification issues and subsequent rework. Then compounded by the COVID shutdowns. Double whammy for Boeing. One self inflicted, the other really bad timing for them. Both caused customers to delay or outright cancel orders. Chinese airline are due about half of the 300 remaining MAXes in inventory, but they have not yet recertified it.

Gotta store them somewhere.

Really hoping my company decides to pick up those MAXes.  By the time we take delivery of what they currently have on order, just our 737 fleet will be equivalent to the third largest airline in the world.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're a skateboarder?

I had a break in aviation from 2012-2014 and was one as well.

Ran a 79 Kenworth K100C flattop big bunk’toting a 48' flat.  Hauled lumber, coils, steel, bees...almost anything you could strap onto a trailer.

I must say flying is a lot easier!
View Quote

Talk about a rattle trap and turbulent ride.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Here’s a couple pictures I grabbed today going by Moses Lake (Grant County Airport)
There is another group parked on the other side out of view from SR 28
Attachment Attached File

There is also a 727 as well,
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's a couple pictures I grabbed today going by Moses Lake (Grant County Airport)
There is another group parked on the other side out of view from SR 28
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85971/DC6C2D81-339C-4A89-96B6-C9AE59A2171B_jpe-2510106.JPG

There is also a 727 as well,
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85971/82F4EA40-654A-4A3A-B4A1-5380AF87028B_jpe-2510110.JPG
View Quote
Some time in the early to mid-80's I saw the last 727 being delivered to Fed Ex.  We were working in the 2-10 building on the Earwax program.  They let us out to walk across Marginal Way to see it take off.  That's damn near 40 years ago.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Talk about a rattle trap and turbulent ride.
View Quote

You'd be surprised.

It had CabMate air ride where the back of the cab lowered onto the frame, and the 8-bag suspension did a good job.

Did it ride as smooth as a stretched W900? No, but it was surprisingly good for being a cabover with a short-ish frame.

Oh...and Michelin tires. I went from GoodYears to Michelin ZXA 24.5s and those things rode like a magic carpet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I flew Boeing KC-135s after pilot training until mid-2003 when I switched to MQ-1s and then MQ-9 UAVs... did that until 4 years past USAF retirement, flying as a ctr.  Am I crazy for thinking about trying to restart my manned aviation career at age 47?  I actually got a CJO from a regional.... (1200 manned aircraft hours, 270PIC).
View Quote

Dude, go for it.  If you don't, you'll always question whether you should have.

Go do the regional thing and then once you're on the line apply at the majors...you'll get sucked up in short order.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Cathay was out in force again today on the romeo spots getting some gas.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:09:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Someone asked about pilot contracts.

They are extremely complex and only a few “sharpshooters” actually know it inside and out.

The FedEx pilots make good money and have an extremely flexible contract that allows you to move or drop/pick up trips for extra pay without working a lot (or any) more.

Tough life but very rewarding financially.

My company’s contract sucks and the company basically ignores.

TC
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#39]
This has been an interesting thread for sure.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I work at a small regional airport.  The only 747 I've worked is AF1 a couple times on radar and tower.  Had 2 Atlas Air 744s today doing some troop movement of over 700 soldiers.  It was the first and probably last time we'll have two 747s at the same time, heh.  Such a cool plane.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#42]

That is probably the one pictured in the OP. But it turns out that the actual last one is still back in body join.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That is probably the one pictured in the OP. But it turns out that the actual last one is still back in body join.
View Quote

Yeah I didnt figure the last one was actually moving out the door yet. I walked the next to last one only a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#44]
1573 is in her customer livery and has apparently been delivered:

Attachment Attached File

Boeing's Penultimate 747 Spotted With Paint Job At Portland International Airport
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow!
I didn’t know about the livery. Not sure if I like it but It pays the bills.

I hope I get to fly one of the new ones before they lose the new car smell.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wow!
I didn’t know about the livery. Not sure if I like it but It pays the bills.

I hope I get to fly one of the new ones before they lose the new car smell.
View Quote

Wow, a freight forwarder's name on the side.

See that the crew sked position is still there at Erlanger. If I wasn't 50 miles away I'd take it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#47]
We had jets with Panalpina”s livery on them in the past.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top