Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah that was bad. Those guys need some remedial training and if that was policy they need to find a new department. One of them almost didn't go home that day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he had shot him again when he first got back up without the knife I guarantee there'd be a line of people here declaring it a bad shoot.
View Quote
This bears repeating. After the first volley of rounds, ever bullet afterwards is scrutinized individually and can be levied as attempted murder charges.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#3]
As a retired LEO, that made me cringe.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If you get nothing else from the video, get this.

Did you see how fast the guy closed the distance to the cop?

I'm surprised nobody else has brought this up yet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The knife wielding crazy man could have victims bleeding out back near the squad car and the cops are playing the back up game.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I think officers hesitate because they will be scrutinized so much by armchair quarterbacks and anti-police types like BLM and liberals who live in a fantasy land...and in this case also by "mental health professionals" who will make some wild claim that they should have spoken softly or something along those lines.

I'll leave the armchair quarterbacking as to why they didn't shoot him earlier to other people on the forum.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In a world of cowards, the bold are vilified.
View Quote
The truth in that jumped right off the page at me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Why the fuck did the officer put his gun away when the guy jumped back up to bumrush the other cop?
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why the fuck did the officer put his gun away when the guy jumped back up to bumrush the other cop?
View Quote
Poor communication, both seemed to be going for less lethal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Everything was fine until they decided to holster their guns on a threat that was still active.

"Oh, the first time we needed to shoot him, but this time a taser will do."

Right, because the guy who just got up after taking 3 or 4 to the chest will totally go down with a taser, not to mention the taser is a one shot deal.  You miss and you're SOL.  They had already shot him once.  What was the hesitation of doing it again for a threat that's still clearly present?
View Quote
First on point Post Nails It.

(Although, everyone who would have shot before the intersection is right as well, as is the poster who mentioned BoP Cops.)

Not treating Mental Health is what brought on all this fuckery.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cops are trained to kill because they shoot center mass of available target.

View Quote
I've always thought it was center mass because it's the easiest to make hits. It also happens to be where you stop the juice from flowing.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow!

Just wow
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, I am glad I am not a cop.

you guys should have gone fire instead
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#15]
So, what kind of modern ammo were they using?

And, say they back up a few hundred yards from their vehicles.  The guy gets in one and takes off and kills someone down the road.  Who would be responsible for allowing the guy to kill an innocent person?
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The knife wielding crazy man could have victims bleeding out back near the squad car and the cops are playing the back up game.
View Quote
Good point, I didnt even think of that
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Parked cruiser is the battle line.
View Quote
Is this official procedure with your guys?  If not, it should be.  Walking around backwards all day is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I would say this really demonstrates the "human side" of working as an LEO...you really don't want to have to kill somebody (although maybe you get 'hardened' after so many years) but these guys did everything they could to try and get the freak settled down, without hurting him...

Good shoot obviously, and although it was too close for comfort, kudos to the officers for exhibiting as much patience and hope as anyone could in that situation.  If the insane criminal was going after an unarmed bystander or worse, a kid, then far less patience would be appropriate.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This bears repeating. After the first volley of rounds, ever bullet afterwards is scrutinized individually and can be levied as attempted murder charges.
View Quote
Yup... We had a Toronto cop not too long ago that got convicted of murder under those exact circumstances.
First three shots justified... his follow ups after the perp was down did him in.

Video:

https://youtu.be/lG6OTyjzAgg
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I suppose when he charged is when I would have gone off
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Holy shit

Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would say this really demonstrates the "human side" of working as an LEO...you really don't want to have to kill somebody (although maybe you get 'hardened' after so many years) but these guys did everything they could to try and get the freak settled down, without hurting him...

Good shoot obviously, and although it was too close for comfort, kudos to the officers for exhibiting as much patience and hope as anyone could in that situation.  If the insane criminal was going after an unarmed bystander or worse, a kid, then far less patience would be appropriate.  
View Quote
This was WAY beyond too close for comfort, one of them almost got killed after they lost control and gave away every tactical advantage they had. You can have compassion for someone but still do what you have to do to go home to your family at the end of your shift.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wouldn't make it as a cop, I'd shot that fucker a long time ago.
View Quote
Absolutely. I wouldn't think twice about it either.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Same here. Not as much as I'd like but definitely enough to were I wouldn't have to second guess
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess I would just have to see if those SPBA dues pay off.
I'd call it a good shot all day long but like you said today's world who knows.
Some searching results in the county being described as a "Democratic stronghold" and Athens is described as being "dominated by a pervasive student culture".  I get where your coming from Daps, but I'm glad I work in a very conservative area.
Same here. Not as much as I'd like but definitely enough to were I wouldn't have to second guess
Athens-Clarke County Police Department Hmmm...

An Athens-Clarke County police officer has been terminated for using excessive force against a fugitive on Friday, June 1, according to the ACC Police Department.

Two officers, Hunter Blackmon and Taylor Saulters, were conducting a routine patrol near Vine Street and Nellie B Avenue in Athens when they spotted Timmy Patmon, a 24-year-old black male who Saulters and Blackmon knew had an outstanding felony probation warrant.

Saulters, the officer who was later terminated, chased the suspect in his patrol car while Blackmon chased him on foot.

While trying to block Patmon’s path with his patrol car, Saulters hit the suspect from behind, which can be seen in the body cam video footage.

Local residents saw the incident and shouted at the officers as Patmon was being arrested, telling the officers they shouldn’t have hit Patmon.

While both officers are attempting to handcuff Patmon, he can be seen in the video refusing to put his hands behind his back as he was lying on the pavement.

“Put your hands behind your back, or you’re going to be tased. Do you understand? Make a good decision,” Saulters said and can be heard in the body cam video footage while apprehending Patmon.

One of the officers asked Patmon, who was laying in the street with his hands behind his back, to get up and get in the police car. Patmon responded that he didn’t want to get in the car and would rather stay on the street.

After a few minutes, Patmon agreed to get in the vehicle and was later transported to a hospital to be evaluated.

“The extent of Patmon’s injuries were scrapes and bruises,” the police report said.

According to the report, Saulters was “slamming on brakes” when he collided with Patmon.

Timmy Patton, 24, was arrested on Nellie B. Avenue near Vine Street by Officer Hunter Blackmon and Officer Taylor Saulters on June 1.

Prior to this impact, Saulters also “struck a curb and flattened his driver’s side front tire,” the report said. The damage to the car can also be seen in the video.

Patmon is being charged with violation of probation and obstruction of law enforcement.

Patmon was on probation because he had previously been charged with possession of methamphetamine and marijuana, according to Epifanio Rodriguez, public information officer with ACC Police Department. Rodriguez does not know how Patmon violated his probation.

Saulters was initially placed on administrative leave, but after an internal affairs investigation and consideration of camera footage, he was terminated for “violation of policy and excessive use of force,” Rodriguez said.

Chief of Police Scott Freeman determined termination to be “the only answer,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said Freeman spent an entire day reviewing the video footage and other facts about the incident before reaching his conclusion on how to handle the situation.

After posting on Facebook about the incident, many community members have expressed dissatisfaction toward the police department for the incident happening in the first place. Others, however, have commended the department for attempting to stop the perpetrator from getting away.

Rodriguez said Freeman spent all day Saturday speaking to the community about the incident and his decision to terminate Saulters.

“We have kept an open line of communication with the media and upheld our promise of transparency,” Rodriguez said.

https://www.redandblack.com/athensnews/athens-police-officer-fired-for-excessive-use-of-force-policy/article_b683bcca-66de-11e8-b28c-df23935ce1c3.html

The chief fired the officer a day after the incident and without the internal even being finished, hmm...
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's Bama-Shooter Policy.

YMMV
View Quote
A take on "Rule .303"?  
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Did anything else "almost" happen today?  What a bunch of drama llamas.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dude was the fucking terminator.
View Quote
Welcome to the real world. Cut the CNS or get stuck waiting for someone to bleed out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
35 seconds. From the time the guy started running, until the final shot was fired and perp down for good, 35 fucking seconds. We get to rewind, replay, frame by frame, think about all the things we could have/would have done. These guys lived it in real time, and it was only 35 seconds start to finish. Think about that before ya armchair this incident.
View Quote
MSgt Michael Dunn got about a second to decide, now he's fighting murder charges.

The Dallas DA needs to be replaced...
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They shot him and then decided to go less than lethal?  Dumb
View Quote
In the video one ofc calls for less lethal right before the doer charged and got shot. Once he was back up on his feet the knife was visible on the ground when he charged Ofc #2. Anything else I’ll keep to myself because I’m not going to MMQB them... I wasn’t there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I thought they were backing up to give them a safer backstop should they shoot and miss. But then they kept going until they hit the road, do there goes that theory.

The time to talk someone out of doing something stops as soon as they advance on you. Then there's no doubt when they ignore commands as you back up. And it's a full on green light to sling some lead when they charge you while screaming "do it". That's just my uninformed non-professional opinion.

I 100% believe that the overall public hostility towards police affected their confidence in using lethal force. Sad and it almost cost them their lives. Glad they made it out in one piece.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did he instinctively attempt to holster when he was charged?
View Quote
This.

WTF?

How did the cops allow it to progress that far?

Cop one holsters and cop two is drawing a taser while a suicidal assailant is going full kamikaze?

I’m glad both cops lived and that cop two had ice water in his veins when it was time to end it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Suicide by cop.
They handled it well until he got back up.
They kept a huge distance, gave them the option to not shoot for a long time.
So he forced the issue by running at them, but at least everybody knows they tried not to shoot his ass.
They fired until the threat went down and stopped firing, good shoot.

Then the threat got back up, and neither one of them had a huge distance from the threat any more.
In hindsight, looks like you've gotta put another one in him as soon as he gets up if you're that close to him.

Quoted:

View Quote
Good point. And early on in the encounter they were yelling over each other.
Subject was trying to say something but no chance of either of them hearing any of it.
Later on we hear him demand that they kill him, but is that what he was saying in the beginning?
One of them should have been giving commands, not both of them.
At least they didn't contradict each other's commands, so they've got that much going for them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#36]
The video is gone.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
The irony being that he already absorbed 7 shots.

He was dead already, at that point.

Late shoot.....but good shoot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The video is gone.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This was WAY beyond too close for comfort, one of them almost got killed after they lost control and gave away every tactical advantage they had. You can have compassion for someone but still do what you have to do to go home to your family at the end of your shift.
View Quote
Nailed it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Daymn.

I think the bullet from the first head shot in the second video at 2:50ish ricocheted from his face/head and hit behind him to the left.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like the vid was taken down. Anyone else got a link?
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Train head shots.
View Quote
Fuck that.  Point pistol at upper chest, keep firing until down.

Unless you are swingin' dick dead nuts super SEAL, or just way too close for comfort, you will not be hitting head shots in the middle of a real self-defense scenario.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks like the vid was taken down. Anyone else got a link?
View Quote
Bodycam Shows Officers Pleading With Armed Man Before Shooting

still up
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#44]
GD has taught me just how dangerous knives are. Until this place I had no idea the speed and violence a knife attack could bring. Scary but also knowledge that you need.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Athens-Clarke County Police Department Hmmm...

An Athens-Clarke County police officer has been terminated for using excessive force against a fugitive on Friday, June 1, according to the ACC Police Department.

Two officers, Hunter Blackmon and Taylor Saulters, were conducting a routine patrol near Vine Street and Nellie B Avenue in Athens when they spotted Timmy Patmon, a 24-year-old black male who Saulters and Blackmon knew had an outstanding felony probation warrant.

Saulters, the officer who was later terminated, chased the suspect in his patrol car while Blackmon chased him on foot.

While trying to block Patmon’s path with his patrol car, Saulters hit the suspect from behind, which can be seen in the body cam video footage.

Local residents saw the incident and shouted at the officers as Patmon was being arrested, telling the officers they shouldn’t have hit Patmon.

While both officers are attempting to handcuff Patmon, he can be seen in the video refusing to put his hands behind his back as he was lying on the pavement.

“Put your hands behind your back, or you’re going to be tased. Do you understand? Make a good decision,” Saulters said and can be heard in the body cam video footage while apprehending Patmon.

One of the officers asked Patmon, who was laying in the street with his hands behind his back, to get up and get in the police car. Patmon responded that he didn’t want to get in the car and would rather stay on the street.

After a few minutes, Patmon agreed to get in the vehicle and was later transported to a hospital to be evaluated.

“The extent of Patmon’s injuries were scrapes and bruises,” the police report said.

According to the report, Saulters was “slamming on brakes” when he collided with Patmon.

Timmy Patton, 24, was arrested on Nellie B. Avenue near Vine Street by Officer Hunter Blackmon and Officer Taylor Saulters on June 1.

Prior to this impact, Saulters also “struck a curb and flattened his driver’s side front tire,” the report said. The damage to the car can also be seen in the video.

Patmon is being charged with violation of probation and obstruction of law enforcement.

Patmon was on probation because he had previously been charged with possession of methamphetamine and marijuana, according to Epifanio Rodriguez, public information officer with ACC Police Department. Rodriguez does not know how Patmon violated his probation.

Saulters was initially placed on administrative leave, but after an internal affairs investigation and consideration of camera footage, he was terminated for “violation of policy and excessive use of force,” Rodriguez said.

Chief of Police Scott Freeman determined termination to be “the only answer,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said Freeman spent an entire day reviewing the video footage and other facts about the incident before reaching his conclusion on how to handle the situation.

After posting on Facebook about the incident, many community members have expressed dissatisfaction toward the police department for the incident happening in the first place. Others, however, have commended the department for attempting to stop the perpetrator from getting away.

Rodriguez said Freeman spent all day Saturday speaking to the community about the incident and his decision to terminate Saulters.

“We have kept an open line of communication with the media and upheld our promise of transparency,” Rodriguez said.

https://www.redandblack.com/athensnews/athens-police-officer-fired-for-excessive-use-of-force-policy/article_b683bcca-66de-11e8-b28c-df23935ce1c3.html

The chief fired the officer a day after the incident and without the internal even being finished, hmm...
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Sounds like the type of dept everyone should walk out
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That would give you some serious pucker factor.
View Quote
Some. Yes it would.

Others (who are a dying breed) not so much.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yeah that was bad. Those guys need some remedial training and if that was policy they need to find a new department. One of them almost didn't go home that day.
View Quote
Small price to pay for the administration to have a self righteous restful sleep knowing their next promotion will not be opposed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
GD has taught me just how dangerous knives are. Until this place I had no idea the speed and violence a knife attack could bring. Scary but also knowledge that you need.
View Quote
the knife wounds I have worked on in the trauma centers have been terrifying to think about how they happened.
the part that always got me, was the fact that in many cases the victim never saw a knife and many times thought they had just been punched.

one of the absolute worst knife attacks i worked on was a mexican chef in a restaurant in OKC who got disembowled by a coworker in a workplace tune up back around 95 or so.

one knife attack had the steak knife still imbedded in the chest and every time the heart contracted it visibly quivered.

most people think a typical stabbing only has 1 wound, but in reality there are several wounds.

one of the days that took hours off my life was a little boy ( 4 or 5) who fell over the open door of a dish washer unto a steak knife pointed up directly into his heart. we saved him but he took massive amounts of blood, plasma and platelets and 2 pediatric cardiac surgeons and a full crew to save.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In a lot of the country that’s exactly what they’re paying for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But, in the deescalation class I went to they showed us a video of like 18 cops that just kept backing up while some dude with a knife walked along the street. It was lauded a great example of patience and restraint because eventually the guy got talked out of his weapons and into handcuffs.

I wonder if this officer had seen that video?
fuck that. thats not what the taxpayers are paying for. if someone is acting lethally disturbed, we really don't want them in or out of society. now or later.
In a lot of the country that’s exactly what they’re paying for.
You're damned right.

They don't want the national outrage and scrutiny that comes with lethal use of force. No community wants a Ferguson. Even if justified, the mouth-breathing masses will allege a cover-up and opine that the officers should have tried deescalation techniques or shot the gun out of his hand. Even in the face of overwhelming proof that it was justified, they will still claim that if the suspect was white they wouldn't have shot him, or that there surely must have been a better way of handling it. When the officer is cleared by a separate outside investigating agency the armchair intellectuals will snidely quip that "they investigated themselves, of course they found no wrong-doing."

They would much rather have the flag-draped coffins, memorial bands and t-shirts, and the street named after a hero. The same ones that would condemn the officer for a justified use of force get to virtue signal over the death of their hero. "My cousin graduated with him." "Oh yeah, I knew him too. He was the one that wrote my dad a ticket last year." "What a hero." "So sad."

Sorry, this shit has been eating at me lately
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

the knife wounds I have worked on in the trauma centers have been terrifying to think about how they happened.
the part that always got me, was the fact that in many cases the victim never saw a knife and many times thought they had just been punched.

one of the absolute worst knife attacks i worked on was a mexican chef in a restaurant in OKC who got disembowled by a coworker in a workplace tune up back around 95 or so.

one knife attack had the steak knife still imbedded in the chest and every time the heart contracted it visibly quivered.

most people think a typical stabbing only has 1 wound, but in reality there are several wounds.

one of the days that took hours off my life was a little boy ( 4 or 5) who fell over the open door of a dish washer unto a steak knife pointed up directly into his heart. we saved him but he took massive amounts of blood, plasma and platelets and 2 pediatric cardiac surgeons and a full crew to save.
View Quote
People (understandably) think Guns are more dangerous because they are loud and have a scary flash sometimes.

How can knives be as dangerous because they don't make any noise?

And besides. we all use knives everyday without incident.

We cut our steak, chop vegetables, open packages and no one is hurt by the little ol' knife.

How bad can they be?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top