User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your parents owe you exactly dick.
View Quote

Yup. Did you pay a land lease for 14years?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My buddy says that OP "the right to remove the building materials he paid for, unless his parents are willing to compensate him for his labor and materials..."
View Quote

Ask your buddy, what constitutes a fixture?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:He never permitted the structure. The house can’t be sold until the structure is demolished, massive fines and back taxes collected.
View Quote

Which will make any potential lender "hinky". I found an amazing property owned by a construction company executive. He had his crews build him a shop, garage, greenhouse, aviary, pool, pool house, huge tree house, vineyards, an underground wine cellar, two ponds, a waterfall, a hobbit house ... and nothing was permitted. The city wanted cash or a bond equal to the sales price of the property to start negotiations and basically wanted the property leveled from the home's foundation to the fence line.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I mean, they're probably planning to leave the value of that structure to the OP when they pass. Right?  Just ask them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How the fuck did you build a home on a piece of land that isn't deeded to you?
Did you finance the 175k? The fuck you did, a lending institution would've never financed the build on someone else's deeded land.
Did you pay cash? Bullshit, if you did then you can affored to sue the fuck out of your parents.
Did your parents build it and finance it?
Is it conforming with the County as a MIL quarters or was it illegally built in the dead of night?
OP is full of shit and your parents hate you.
View Quote

I used cash from selling my house. It was very inviting by my folks when we did this. It was bare land. We dug the well. They payed for power. We’ve been paying half of the property tax this whole time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like you will be moving with them
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I used cash from selling my house. It was very inviting by my folks when we did this. It was bare land. We dug the well. They payed for power. We’ve been paying half of the property tax this whole time.
View Quote

That really sucks op, sorry this is happening.

What did your folks say when they told you they weren't going to at the very least pay you back what it cost to build the place?

Family can really suck sometimes, most of us have been there in one form or another at some point.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a fun thread.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

There’s got to be more to this story.

Are you on bad terms with them? Have a falling out? After 14 years, they randomly intend to sell the property and cut you out? With no warning or indication that this was a possibility?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There’s got to be more to this story.

Are you on bad terms with them? Have a falling out? After 14 years, they randomly intend to sell the property and cut you out? With no warning or indication that this was a possibility?
View Quote

Something had to have happened.  Said they were gonna give him the place.  Something is wrong.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the fuck did you build a home on a piece of land that isn't deeded to you?
Did you finance the 175k? The fuck you did, a lending institution would've never financed the build on someone else's deeded land.
Did you pay cash? Bullshit, if you did then you can afford to sue the fuck out of your parents.
Did your parents build it and finance it?
Is it conforming with the County as a MIL quarters or was it illegally built in the dead of night?
OP is full of shit and your parents hate you.

And your parents out of the blue said fugg off?
May we have the rest of the story good sir?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Something had to have happened.  Said they were gonna give him the place.  Something is wrong.
View Quote
In any case, there is no way on this planet I would have sunk all my money and built a house on land that isn't mine, without a lawyer drafting some an agreed upon contract where I cannot get screwed out of my investment.  I am close to my family, still zero chance.  In turn, I very much doubt they would let me do it without a legal agreement.

Moving in for a while is a lot different than sinking hundreds of thousands of dollars into mom and dad's word. That's insane.  Relationships can change and it doesn't require you to do anything wrong.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I "advise" you to get a lawyer who gives good "advice"
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In any case, there is no way on this planet I would have sunk all my money and built a house on land that isn't mine, without a lawyer drafting some an agreed upon contract were I cannot get screwed out of my investment.  I am close to my family, still zero chance.  In turn, I very much doubt they would let me do it without a legal agreement.

Moving in for a while is a lot different than sinking hundreds of thousands of dollars into mom and dad's word. That's insane.  Relationships can change and it doesn't require you to do anything wrong.
View Quote

I dont disagree with you at all. In fact, your path is what i would choose.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#16]
My methbilly neighbors had one of their strung out daughters build a small umpermitted home on their farm. They have had enough of her shit and told her to leave. Should get interesting legally as she refuses. Small house maybe $40,000 in materials if I had to guess.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Advise" is a verb.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]
This is like the opposite of the house my friends bought.
Dude signed 5 acres of his farm to his son so he could build a house with the understanding he wouldn’t sell it and wanted to live there the rest of his life.
Barely finished the house and sold it. Dad was pissed but nothing he could do and wasn’t willing to pay his son for a house he didn’t want even if he kept the property.  The farm owner was over talking to my friends and mentioned the little stunt got his son written out of his will but he isn’t going to find out until he’s dead so hope he made enough to be happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, what did you do to piss them off?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I’d guess situations like these are cause to “mysterious” structure fires.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#21]
The fact that the OP is just dribbling out responses shows this to be a safe type thread.There are many obvious questions that aren't being addressed like why aren't the parents compensating their own son. What reason did they give to allow him to build and then screw him out of any compensation.
Or its a parody thread about the guy that was looking at property with a house on it that no one claimed to know anything about.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The fact that the OP is just dribbling out responses shows this to be a safe type thread.There are many obvious questions that aren't being addressed like why aren't the parents compensating their own son. What reason did they give to allow him to build and then screw him out of any compensation.
Or its a parody thread about the guy that was looking at property with a house on it that no one claimed to know anything about.
View Quote

Yup, I strongly suspect the OP is a lying troll. He could fix that by laying the situation out in detail in a single post.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, what did you do to piss them off?  Serious question.
View Quote

I think they’re probably ashamed of his abuse of the English language.  See, e.g., “Inherited to me,” “payed bills,” needing advise,” et al.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#24]
This wouldn't solve the lack of permits and other issues, but why can't you parents just subdivide the lot and leave you with the land the house is on?

How large of a lot are we talking about here
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It’s a 3 bedroom 2 bath house that I spent $175,000 on. I was told the property would be inherited to me. Sure, I saved some cash but I wasn’t saving like I needed to buy another house.
View Quote

You are fucked and know it or you are TROLLING.  No sane person does this.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s a 3 bedroom 2 bath house that I spent $175,000 on. I was told the property would be inherited to me. Sure, I saved some cash but I wasn’t saving like I needed to buy another house.

In, just like the other mystery house thread. I don't think OP is trolling. And given his minimal communication skills demonstrated here, I can see where a family shit show is possible. I foresee some interesting legal proceedings.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#30]
So you lived basically for almost free for 14 years and have nothing to show for it... nice.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So you lived basically for almost free for 14 years and have nothing to show for it... nice.
View Quote

Doesn't even have enough for a membership.

ETA: apparently neither do you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#33]
If they don't pay you for it burn it down. Let that MF burn. Then when it's gone piss on the ashes in front of your parents.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Do they really understand what a headache/bind they're putting you through and don't care?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not on the deed, no written agreement?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You need to start reading.  You can make this VERY difficult for your parents if you want to. No one will touch that property if it's in the middle of a legal battle.

Adverse Posession
View Quote
This is why you don't get legal advice on GD.  

"I paid $175k on a house and I'm going to be homeless but I don't want to walk my ass into an actual lawyer's office."  

Jebus.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know the answer but I'm prohibited from giving legal advice.  
View Quote

No, you're prohibited from going within 200 feet of a minor. Get it right.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#38]
In some cases adverse possession could apply, but if you paid half the taxes, you weren’t live under the guise of hostile trespass.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#39]
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/who-can-claim-property-based-adverse-possession-oregon.html#:~:text=Adverse%20possession%20is%20a%20legal,is%20ten%20years%20in%20Oregon.

Adverse possession is a legal doctrine that essentially allows trespassers on a piece of land to gain ownership rights if the true owner doesn't stop them within a certain period of time. That period is ten years in Oregon
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Retread post or ungrateful son that is a meth addict?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would say you are screwed big time, hope things work out for you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Is no one going to ask the OP what happened between him building the house and now?

Did you get in a fight and your parents said I’ll fix you.

No one fucks family that bad unless something went way south.

Details dude, details.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Tell them to stay there. We don't want people like that in TN.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Was this unpermitted house built with brick and no windows?  
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Put a lean on the their property....get a lawyer.  If they want to cash out, they will settle.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No one fucks family that bad unless something went way south.
View Quote

When it comes to money family treats you like everyone else does.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Put a lean on the their property....get a lawyer.  If they want to cash out, they will settle.
View Quote
He can't just "put a lien" (not lean).  He would need to convince a judge to grant one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Wait a second, is this the land from the safe thread a while back? With the mystery house.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When it comes to money family treats you like everyone else does.
View Quote

What this guy said.  Blood may be thicker than water, but cash money may as well be a mountain in comparison. Families sue each other all the time.  

Get a lawyer, OP.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top