Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like they finally got tired of dragging the mooch through life.  Good for them.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw a similar situation unfold in my family.

A friend of one of my uncles lost his house back in 2008 so he allowed him and his family to move into his garage, which he had converted into a studio, and pay market rate rent.
After a few years they figured the studio was a bit too small and wanted something bigger.

My uncle told his buddy that if he built (and paid for) an addition to the house, he could live there at a discounted rate as a means to recover the cost of material and labor. And so his buddy took him up on the offer and built a 2-bedroom/1-bathroom addition on the side of the house. Without permits of any sort, of course...

Almost one year to the date when they had moved in to the new addition, my uncle told his buddy that he had to raise the rent because my aunt was complaining that he wasn't charging enough, etc etc. Huge fight ensued, and his buddy said screw it and left.

Since nothing had been written in paper and no permits pulled, there was really nothing his buddy could do. An attorney was out of the question as he didn't have enough to even cover the retainer.

Fast forward to today. The addition has been trashed by my aunt's pot smoking daughter from a previous relationship, and her friends. Of course, they pay no rent. My aunt is cheating on my uncle with some guy she met at the gym. And my uncle, being the cuck that he is, is sleeping in a tool shed in the back yard.

The whole situation is just a dumpster fire.

=============================

Best advise OP, try to convince your parents to go to a mediator and see if some sort of amicable agreement can be reached.

The remaining options are move on and see it as a very expensive lesson learned, or lawyer up. Which will also be very expensive...

Good luck.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A friend of one of my uncles lost his house back in 2008 so he allowed him and his family to move into his garage, which he had converted into a studio, and pay market rate rent.
After a few years they figured the studio was a bit too small and wanted something bigger.

My uncle told his buddy that if he built (and paid for) an addition to the house, he could live there at a discounted rate as a means to recover the cost of material and labor. And so his buddy took him up on the offer and built a 2-bedroom/1-bathroom addition on the side of the house. Without permits of any sort, of course...

Almost one year to the date when they had moved in to the new addition, my uncle told his buddy that he had to raise the rent because my aunt was complaining that he wasn't charging enough, etc etc. Huge fight ensued, and his buddy said screw it and left.

Since nothing had been written in paper and no permits pulled, there was really nothing his buddy could do. An attorney was out of the question as he didn't have enough to even cover the retainer.

Fast forward to today. The addition has been trashed by my aunt's pot smoking daughter from a previous relationship, and her friends. Of course, they pay no rent. My aunt is cheating on my uncle with some guy she met at the gym. And my uncle, being the cuck that he is, is sleeping in a tool shed in the back yard.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You can learn a valuable lesson.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was this unpermitted house built with brick and no windows?  
View Quote

Wonder if his name is Nick.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Statute of Frauds states anything real estate related must be in writing or you're up shit creek.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

=============================

Best advise OP, try to convince your parents to go to a mediator and see if some sort of amicable agreement can be reached.

The remaining options are move on and see it as a very expensive lesson learned, or lawyer up. Which will also be very expensive...

Good luck.

View Quote

Got Damn!  Now that shits a country song if I’ve ever heard one!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If you continue to live there, and make a scene of it, that should scare off realtors and buyers, forcing you parents to buy you out to make the problem go away.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know the answer but I'm prohibited from giving legal advice.  
View Quote
are you prohibited from posting a link to similar advice?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
that's kind of how I imagine him!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Between the lack of details and OPs poor grammar, this has hillbilly homestead written all over it.

IN!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You need to start reading.  You can make this VERY difficult for your parents if you want to. No one will touch that property if it's in the middle of a legal battle.

Adverse Posession
View Quote
Eitek1 stated it better than I did.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is no one going to ask the OP what happened between him building the house and now?

Did you get in a fight and your parents said I’ll fix you.

No one fucks family that bad unless something went way south.

Details dude, details.
View Quote

Lol you haven't met some of my family
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The fact that the OP has disappeared makes me believe one of two things....

1.) Trolling
B.) Realizing that telling the whole story ain't gonna go the way he wishes.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#15]
op

buy the property on a commercial loan

then split it up and sell the pieces for a profit

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your parents must hate you.
View Quote

Well, they let him live there rent free for 14 years.     That’s pure love, not hate.  

It’s possible that they hate dislike and fear, the man he became.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
op

buy the property on a commercial loan

then split it up and sell the pieces for a profit

View Quote

If he could afford the property he would never have been living off his parents for the last 14 years.  
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top