Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well the owners email is ave8rgod    Aviator god……really?
View Quote

Nah... typical pilot
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In another aviation group there are a couple of people who would know with good confidence, reporting that this was an air ambulance configured airplane, that had a medical crew on board as well.

They also don't speak very well of the aircraft owner.
View Quote

That sucks.

N880Z
MED JET LLC
EL CAJON , CA, US

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I used to do a lot of heavy maintenance on 20 and 30 series Lear. 12yr inspections and structure repairs...

Have had to call the Lear test pilots many times for stall certification flights. Purposely stalling these things take up to and sometimes more than 10k feet to recover by guys that do it every day.
View Quote

Lears seem to have a very unforgiving nature.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Medical transport yes

My buddy used to fly these jets as medical transport.

You fly shit weather must go flights with very sick people.

The planes were generally overworked under maintained.

He finally gave it up after a string of close calls .

Seemed like shit pay too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to fly on a similar Lear for med flights. Same paint scheme and all. It was out of PDK though. Most of the time they are used for private flights between med flights. Takes no time at all for the pilot to switch it over.  Sucks for all involved.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds like task oversaturation.
View Quote

He wasn't task saturated if he was able to get out three "oh shit"s and a blood-curdling scream over the radio prior to impact.

The idea of task saturation is that you're so focused on the thing that is not killing you that you don't notice the thing that is.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly, the more I look at it, the more it looks like the Fairchild B52 crash.  Too sharp of a bank, not paying attention to airspeed and a stalling wing.

Unrecoverable at that altitude.

Still a mistake to not get vectors for a full ILS approach onto the runway you want, rather than this shit they were doing in those conditions.

EDIT:  Idiot me, no ILS
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Feel sorry for the pilot, RIP.
It's a damn shame it couldn't have been a plane full of CA politicians though...
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He wasn't task saturated if he was able to get out three "oh shit"s and a blood-curdling scream over the radio prior to impact.

The idea of task saturation is that you're so focused on the thing that is not killing you that you don't notice the thing that is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like task oversaturation.

I'm no expert here, but if he failed to aviate, navigate or communicate and didn't realize it until his final 3 seconds, that doesn't mean he wasn't oversaturated prior to that.

There are several things that could have happened while he wasn't paying attention.  Entirely possible he was focused so hard on looking for the runway he didn't realize his plane was short on energy and clearance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No it crashed... but what it didn't do is "explode" or "blow up"

A bomb "explodes"
A house filled with natural gas "explodes"
An over pressured water heater "explodes"

An aircraft hits the ground, fuel tanks rupture spraying fuel, which ignites into flames
But it doesn't "explode"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it certainly didn't parachute to a soft landing now, did it ?

A bomb "explodes"

An aircraft hits the ground, fuel tanks rupture spraying fuel, which ignites into flames
But it doesn't "explode"

By any definition there is an explosion. In fact, more than one.

You can count them here :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfeTdJNVBs
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Honestly, the more I look at it, the more it looks like the Fairchild B52 crash.  Too sharp of a bank, not paying attention to airspeed and a stalling wing.

Unrecoverable at that altitude.

Still a mistake to not get vectors for a full ILS approach onto the runway you want, rather than this shit they were doing in those conditions.
View Quote

There isn't an ILS there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Things were fine then after the runway change something went to shit.
View Quote

The fact that the instant after the ATC informs him that the field lights were at 100% he starts screaming would seem to indicate (to me, an uninformed non-aviator) that he realized that whatever he was aimed at was not the field.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There isn't an ILS there.
View Quote

That would explain that then. Thought I read somewhere that there was one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm no expert here, but if he failed to aviate, navigate or communicate and didn't realize it until his final 3 seconds, that doesn't mean he wasn't oversaturated prior to that.

There are several things that could have happened while he wasn't paying attention.  Entirely possible he was focused so hard on looking for the runway he didn't realize his plane was short on energy and clearance.
View Quote

You're talking about "task (mis)prioritization", which is a different human factor than "task saturation." The aviate/navigate/communicate/automate hierarchy is a task prioritization list.

Not trying to be pedantic, and all of these judgment/decisionmaking/airmanship human factors are closely related to one another.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bomb "explodes"

But it doesn't "explode"

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/519Kdd45E9L._SX342_SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Perfect response.

Thank you Capt!
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A bomb "explodes"

But it doesn't "explode"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it certainly didn't parachute to a soft landing now, did it ?

A bomb "explodes"

But it doesn't "explode"

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A bomb "explodes"

But it doesn't "explode"
View Quote

lol. We got a wise guy.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ok are all 3300+ posts you’ve made in 8 months this detailed? I vote for an admin to change your screen name to Technical_Tammy
View Quote

I second the motion.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This
Doesnt need to be aired
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought there was some sort of “gentleman’s agreement” to not air atc audio like that.

This
Doesnt need to be aired

Leave up most of it, maybe.  But I didn't need to hear the last few seconds.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The fact that the instant after the ATC informs him that the field lights were at 100% he starts screaming would seem to indicate (to me, an uninformed non-aviator) that he realized that whatever he was aimed at was not the field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things were fine then after the runway change something went to shit.

As a complete layperson it seems more that he was looking for the field as he was executing a turn and the aircraft got away from him as being more likely than this somewhat odd theory that he was trying to land on Maple Street.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#22]
VAS Aviation

Learjet 35A fatally crashes during approach at Gillespie, San Diego, CA
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hearing those pilots last words facing death is chilling.
View Quote

Really is.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You're talking about "task (mis)prioritization", which is a different human factor than "task saturation." The aviate/navigate/communicate/automate hierarchy is a task prioritization list.

Not trying to be pedantic, and all of these judgment/decisionmaking/airmanship human factors are closely related to one another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, more like target fixation (trying to spot the runway down through the clouds) than task saturation.  Focused on navigating, quit aviating for too long, too close to the ground, and in a turn in IMC with close terrain to boot.  Moving your head around looking for the runway in mainly IMC conditions is a recipe for a immediate somatogravic vestibular illusion.  And the only way to stay flying through that is if you have the airplane under control and are locked on the instruments tight enough to ignore the physical stimuli.  If not really "on the instruments", the vestibular illusion would be followed immediately by loss of control, which the pilot wouldn't even realize until popping out of the clouds headed at that hill.    

What a way to buy it.  

Short of some strange circumstances coming out or mechanical issues, this one looks like "pilot's attempt to conduct VFR flight in IMC and failure to maintain a stabilized approach, resulting in loss of control and impact with terrain".

https://skybrary.aero/articles/vestibular-system-and-illusions-oghfa-bn
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Reading about high performance aircraft the number one cause of accidents ( especially in military) is getting behind the power curve, this happens awfully fast and there is little chance of recovery if it happens.
Looks like he may of been close to it on the turn to approach, broke through the clouds, saw that he was off on his turn and made it steeper this falling behind the power curve and stalling.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In another aviation group there are a couple of people who would know with good confidence, reporting that this was an air ambulance configured airplane, that had a medical crew on board as well.

They also don't speak very well of the aircraft owner.
View Quote

Dollars to donuts this is a typical 134.5 scumbag operation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the feeling this will be another loss of control accident, just like the one in TEB a few years ago and one into PWK before that. That plane went in near vertical it appears, implying it was most likely stalled/spun or otherwise out of the pilots control. I have some time in a Lear 60, and like every airplane you absolutely cannot get slow in a turn, and have to really understand the effects of G's on stall speed. Look at a legacy series Lear wing and you'll see every boundry layer device know to man on there, and they're there for a reason!

I don't know all the details of this crash, but watching that last video posted raises some questions in my mind. One would be they were flying, and cleared for the straight in approach to 17, and only requesting to cancel and circle inside the FAF? Did these guys do a brief that included that at all, or was it a last second change? Why wouldn't they have worked that out with the app/tower controllers prior to starting the 17 approach? Where was the backup from the NF pilot? was anyone monitoring the speed/bank/altitude? Lots of questions, might never be answered. We all need to stay as sharp and by the SOP's as possible on this kind of maneuver, stay safe out there guys!
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
This is pretty much what he did.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haven't listened to the audio, and don't plan to, but your idea makes quite a bit of sense.

Oh, and by the way, they're not tillers, they're wheels.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]
It looks like there isn't even an LPV approach at KSEE.  Probably because of the terrain doesn't allow for a precision approach, including the missed, that meets TERPS criteria.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, there’s no reason to do them these days.
View Quote

Instructor at FSI flat out told me circling, at minimums, in a jet, is stupid.  I agree.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#32]
On board: Two pilots and two nurses. Had just taken a patient from Lake Havasu to Los Angeles and were heading home.

No survivors found after small plane crashes in El Cajon neighborhood
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Haven't listened to the audio, and don't plan to, but your idea makes quite a bit of sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The VAS aviation YouTube has the end of the recording cut out so You just hear the ATC/pilot interaction prior to things going bad.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Imagine the disappointment of finally figuring out a way to prove to everyone that you are the smartest person in the room and then finding out that nobody cares.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Really is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hearing those pilots last words facing death is chilling.

Really is.

Had a one time good friend who lived just to the west of there. Opened his door, whole neighborhood in flames, 727 and human remains scattered all about. He never was quite right.

After I left, the airline I worked for had two crashes. The voice recorder was something I wish I'd never heard.

Lears I knew mostly hauled Xed checks and organs. My airline also got free Lears for ordering lotsa CRJs, things always burned up our profit sharing checks hauling BoDs around, rather than flying on our airliners at the end of the quarters.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn, that was messed up.  Unless we find out there was a major aircraft malfunction, that guy screwed the pooch and others died as a result.  Terrible.   Wonder if he even had the required weather to perform the circling approach?    And it sounds like that circling maneuver wasn't authorized at night?

Tried to keep the field in sight, who knows if he was able to or not.  Too steep of a turn for the speed he was at, exceeded AoA, and the jet lost its lift and stalled.  And it sounds like he probably commenced the maneuver at way too low of an altitude (probably because of the weather).  So potentially he violated the FAR/AIM as well as the operating manual; surprise, the jet turned into a smoking hole in the ground and people died.  

As an aside, if the control tower was closed it's common to cancel IFR with approach control to close your flight plan (otherwise you'll have to call on the phone after you land to cancel your flight plan).  
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Ooops. Never mind, didn't read so good prior to comment.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Plane crash in East County San Diego | Security footage

Video submitted by Cheryl Brown shows the plane crash on her Nest security camera located at Pepper Drive and Bevin Lane in El Cajon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Instructor at FSI flat out told me circling, at minimums, in a jet, is stupid.  I agree.
View Quote

No shit.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have the feeling this will be another loss of control accident, just like the one in TEB a few years ago and one into PWK before that. That plane went in near vertical it appears, implying it was most likely stalled/spun or otherwise out of the pilots control. I have some time in a Lear 60, and like every airplane you absolutely cannot get slow in a turn, and have to really understand the effects of G's on stall speed. Look at a legacy series Lear wing and you'll see every boundry layer device know to man on there, and they're there for a reason!

I don't know all the details of this crash, but watching that last video posted raises some questions in my mind. One would be they were flying, and cleared for the straight in approach to 17, and only requesting to cancel and circle inside the FAF? Did these guys do a brief that included that at all, or was it a last second change? Why wouldn't they have worked that out with the app/tower controllers prior to starting the 17 approach? Where was the backup from the NF pilot? was anyone monitoring the speed/bank/altitude? Lots of questions, might never be answered. We all need to stay as sharp and by the SOP's as possible on this kind of maneuver, stay safe out there guys!
View Quote

Good questions.  Are any Lears certified for single pilot?  Hard to believe two people could willingly botch an arrival this bad.  

And their approach/landing speed seems pretty high.  There was a Lear 35 at 10 miles one day when I was downwind for a touch and go at an airport with a tower and a single 8500ft. runway.  I was student solo, and I had a Bonanza with a student and instructor behind me also doing touch and goes.  Tower tells the Lear to call at 5 miles as I'm abeam the numbers and putting a notch of flaps in.  I turned base, two flaps, got my sink rate all nice and tidy and was just turning onto final when the Lear calls 5 miles.  Tower tells me "climb immediately, go around and side step right".  Tells the Bo to extend downwind.  A minute later I was getting near the end of the runway back up at pattern altitude when I hear the tower tell the Lear "left Alpha 8 and contact ground".  Lear pilot says "uh, we're gonna need Alpha 10" which was the end of the runway.  I looked down and sure as shit they were rolling off the very end - they burned in so fast it made the tower change their plan AND they used all 8500ft of runway to land!
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, I am quite sorry I listened to that audio.

Complete terror in that man's scream, Jesus.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wow, I am quite sorry I listened to that audio.

Complete terror in that man's scream, Jesus.
View Quote

Reminds me of the scream when the two helicopters collided in AZ.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#44]
New video.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the lack of practice for the civilian world, I agree. Air Force guys seem to train on them all the time.

Doesn't BOS run an ILS circle approach?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Imagine flying a VFR approach in that shit
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don’t think I’ve ever heard the last audio from a plane crash posted before, man…..nothing they can do. Prayers for all.
View Quote

The final Snodgrass transmission was similar IIRC.  It may still be on youtube.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Another video of a left hand turn approach and flies right over the crash site.  Go to 0:40.  The video is sped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S5wchbwx20

View Quote
Wow, this explains everything.  I can now see how and why it possibly went down.  RIP.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Pretty sure some did. I used to work on them (Learjet 23-35)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The engines sound very loud to be at basically idle power for landing.

Do these jets have thrust reverser? Maybe uncommanded or accidental engagement of thrust reverser? It surely sounds like the engines are at max power.

35’s came with no reverses, Dee Howard’s and Aeroncas. The Aeroncas are finicky and can deploy in flight. There is a big red emergency stow button on the dash.

Pretty sure some did. I used to work on them (Learjet 23-35)

I am pretty sure there is a reverser bucket sitting on the road in some of the pics.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It looks like there isn't even an LPV approach at KSEE.  Probably because of the terrain doesn't allow for a precision approach, including the missed, that meets TERPS criteria.
View Quote

There’s a LOC approach.

To 27R.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top