Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

None of that matters in the riddle, except that it's the same path in opposite directions.  The fact that it's the same person on different days is excess information given to confuse you.  You're confused.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're just trolling with him then, got it!

It's not a difficult concept to understand.

It's the same line (or path) in opposite directions. Not your made up parallel paths.  Either you're straight trolling/obtuse, or your fundamental understanding is broken.

Please explain how someone hiking up a mountain, does not pass someone hiking down the same path, if they start and end at the same time.

Its not that they dont cross, they dont cross at the same point AND time.

per the OP
Quoted:

Basically summarized:  At any point on the second day, will the monk pass the same point at the exact same time that he did the previous day?

Answer the question.  Please explain how someone hiking up a mountain, does not pass someone hiking down the same path, if they start and end at the same time.

THEY
ARE
NOT
WALKING
THE
SAME
PATH
AT/WITHIN
THE
SAME TIME FRAME...

...BUT
RATHER,
THE
SAME
PERSON
IS
WALKING
THE
PATH
IN
DIFFERING
DIRECTIONS
ON
DIFFERING
DAYS

None of that matters in the riddle, except that it's the same path in opposite directions.  The fact that it's the same person on different days is excess information given to confuse you.  You're confused.

Sounds like something a confused person would say in order to attempt to confuse an otherwise not-confused person...
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

again no, the two lines meet but not at the same place. I marked up to your chart, showing different time for location, or different time for same location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The graph I posted, that you subsequently marked, indicates that you arbitrarily selected the halfway distance instead of reading the time and distance of the intersect. [19.5 / 2 = 9.75]

again no, the two lines meet but not at the same place. I marked up to your chart, showing different time for location, or different time for same location.

"The two lines meet..."

really, really think about that for a second.

You literally picked an arbitrary location that didn't intersect at the same time to show that it didn't intersect... I literally provided a graph that showed a same time/location as intersecting lines:

10.15 from the base @ 1346

Where are you getting that the spot is 9.75 (halfway)?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not sure how I missed that, but yes, we said the same thing. An average speed is just a simple way to visualize it since that gives you a constant slope. But *any* continuous function (in this case, nondecreasing or nonincreasing) will work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not sure how I missed that, but yes, we said the same thing. An average speed is just a simple way to visualize it since that gives you a constant slope. But *any* continuous function (in this case, nondecreasing or nonincreasing) will work.

The op states the speed does increase and decrease and he even rests

Quoted:
He may speed up, slow down, even stop to rest, but he doesn't leave the path.

You cant solve any equation with an unknown variable. The unknown is his speed on both days, we only know his over all average is 12 hours of time. So with that the only math you can say is he started and finished at the same time and he traveled the same distance. At no point can you state where on the mountain he was either day, so it can not be proven.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I honestly do not understand how people get this wrong.  Two things matter.  Same path, and leave at the same time. Nothing else matters.  So the concept of visualizing one on top and one on bottom leaving at the same time, can only lead you(or anyone with a working brain) to realize that that they would have to cross paths.  Crossing paths means they are at the same place and time.  JFC people are dumb.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This kid explains it in a way that should allow anybody to understand.

Now, no more welching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUKVPGd-eJM
View Quote

The kid in the video misstates the riddle (the original version?)

Instead of 8am to 8pm, he says sunrise to sunset, with several days between up and down trips.

Since sunrise and sunset do not occur at precisely the same time every day, it is possible for no intersection to take place, given an extremely high rate of ascent/ descent. I’m technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

But the riddle in OP specified the times, so rendering intersection unavoidable

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"The two lines meet..."

You literally picked an arbitrary location that didn't intersect at the same time to show that it didn't intersect... I literally provided a graph that showed a same time/location as intersecting lines:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The graph I posted, that you subsequently marked, indicates that you arbitrarily selected the halfway distance instead of reading the time and distance of the intersect. [19.5 / 2 = 9.75]

"The two lines meet..."

Sir, there is no 'x'...
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You should have been around for the airplane / treadmill thing. GD is REALLY dumb.
View Quote

This shit is embarrassing. My first grade daughter understands the riddle.

She’s not a welcher either.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You cant solve any equation with an unknown variable. The unknown is his speed on both days, we only know his over all average is 12 hours of time. So with that the only math you can say is he started and finished at the same time and he traveled the same distance. At no point can you state where on the mountain he was either day, so it can not be proven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
He may speed up, slow down, even stop to rest, but he doesn't leave the path.

You missed a very important piece of information.  He traveled the same exact path in opposite directions.  His paths met at one point somewhere, 24 hours apart.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But first the op says they are not traveling at the same speed and its variable with speeds and rests. Plus it is not two monks walking to each other, it is one walking the opposite path he did the day before. Different speeds at any points means he can not be at the same point at the same time as he was the day before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@FS7,

I posted all the equations on page 4 post 17 and included an example.

However, StaccatoC2 claims toward the end of page 5 that they aren't correct because I used an average speed instead of variable.

So, I think, in his mind, 2 trains that started moving at the same time going in opposite directions toward each other on the same track would not hit each other if they varied their speeds.  They would only be in the same spot at the same time if they each maintained a constant speed.

I don't know what else to say.

But first the op says they are not traveling at the same speed and its variable with speeds and rests. Plus it is not two monks walking to each other, it is one walking the opposite path he did the day before. Different speeds at any points means he can not be at the same point at the same time as he was the day before.

Regarding variable speeds and resting:  If you don't get the concept using an average speed, why would we expect you to get it using variable speeds and rests?

Two monks vs one:  monk1 is the monk going up and monk2 is the same monk going down.  Does it matter if they were the same monk on different days or two Monks on the same day?  They are walking the same path and will cross each other on their ways to the opposite end of the path.

Varying speeds on the different days:  This just makes the calculation more convoluted.  They both start walking at time 0.  At time 1, up walking monk is at Ud1.  Down walking monk is at Dd1.  At time x. The distances are Udx and Ddx.  At some point in time, let's say n, the monks will be at the same point on the path depending on how fast they walked and how long they rested.  Udn would equal Ddn.

Do you understand the train example?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK. So the monk doesn't move at a constant speed. The monk moves according to a continuous step function. This would account for varying speeds and pauses. There are no unknown variables. The monk's path can be mathematically modeled such that his position at any point in time is known. In truth, even if that weren't true, it wouldn't matter, but let's ignore that for a second. He goes from altitude 0 to altitude X, starting at time 0 and finishing at time 12.

The descending monk also moves the same way, starting at altitude X and finishing at altitude 0. He starts at time 0 and finishes at time 12.

Since the functions are continuous, they must intersect. This is the X we have been talking about.

The challenge of the problem is not to plug in values to an equation and determine when exactly that happens. But it's trivial to prove that it does happen.

Stop being a welcher. Do something. Otherwise you're just going to be known as that guy, forever, if you don't get banned.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

View Quote
Is your name Hermes?

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have been around for the airplane / treadmill thing. GD is REALLY dumb.

Obviously not. Please explain that the (2) paths occur on differing days...

...and that there is no 'x'
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@FS7,

However, StaccatoC2 claims toward the end of page 5 that they aren't correct because I used an average speed instead of variable.

So, I think, in his mind, 2 trains that started moving at the same time going in opposite directions toward each other on the same track would not hit each other if they varied their speeds.  They would only be in the same spot at the same time if they each maintained a constant speed.

"Different speeds at any points means he can not be at the same point at the same time as he was the day before."

Lets give 'em different speeds. Height of the mountain is 12.
Uphill monk speed is 1 per hour. Uphill monk gets to the top in 12 hours (8am-8pm).
Downhill monk speed is 2 per hour. Downhill monk gets to the bottom in 6 hours (8am-2pm). We'll come back to him being early.
Uphill monk:
0 @ 8am
1 @ 9am
2 @ 10am
3 @ 11am
4 @ 12pm
5 @ 1pm
6 @ 2pm
7 @ 3pm
8 @ 4pm
9 @ 5pm
10 @ 6pm
11 @ 7pm
12 @ 8pm

Downhill monk:
12 @ 8am
10 @ 9am
8 @ 10am
6 @ 11am
4 @ 12pm
2 @ 1pm
@ 2pm
@ 3pm
@ 4pm
@ 5pm
@ 6pm
@ 7pm
@ 8pm

Remember the downhill monk was gonna be early? He traveled from 12 down to 2 in 5 hours. Now he has 7 hours left to travel the remaining 2 to get to 0 (the bottom). Sounds like a walk in the park... and it should be, because at 12pm the day before when he was going up the hill he was also at height 4... @ 12pm. The same as when he was going downhill.

Different speeds, same point, same time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

the particular squiggles are irrelevant, seems to me, they have to cross at a singular point
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/021/665/DpQ9YJl.png

Instead of 8am to 8pm, he says sunrise to sunset, with several days between up and down trips.

Since sunrise and sunset do not occur at precisely the same time every day, it is possible for no intersection to take place, given an extremely high rate of ascent/ descent. I’m technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This kid explains it in a way that should allow anybody to understand.

Now, no more welching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUKVPGd-eJM

If the days of ascent and decent are equally apart from the summer or winter solstice, sunset and sunrise would occur at precisely the same time each day.

You're technically incorrect. Nice try, though, new guy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wrong. Again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. Again.

its says below he may speed up or down or rest.

One morning a monk sets out at 8AM to climb a path up the mountain to reach the temple at the summit. He arrives at the temple at 8PM. He stays the night. The next day, he leaves the temple at 8AM to descend the mountain, traveling downhill, arriving at his starting point from the previous day at 8PM.

The riddle: Is there a spot along the path that the monk will pass at precisely the same time of day on both trips?

For the purposes of discussion:

The monk does not leave the path either day. He may speed up, slow down, even stop to rest, but he doesn't leave the path.

Also, "same spot" means same spot on the mountain path relative to the mountain; not space, so the Earth's rotation and path around the Sun don't affect anything for the purposes of discussion.

Basically summarized:  At any point on the second day, will the monk pass the same point at the exact same time that he did the previous day?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know the monk speeds up and slows down. I’m telling you that your assessment that it matters, is wrong.

If both journeys start at the same time, the speed is irrelevant. The two trips will cross somewhere, regardless of their speeds, putting them at the same place at the same time.

No more welching.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the days of ascent and decent are equally apart from the summer or winter solstice, sunset and sunrise would occur at precisely the same time each day.

You're technically incorrect. Nice try, though, new guy.
View Quote

You don’t get to be a dedicated and disciplined monk with quads of steel by believing in fairy tales like “winter solstice.”
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems to me the phrasing of the riddle gives the answer away

The answers proffered are "yes" or "no."  The answers possible depending on correct or incorrect understanding of the riddle are "yes" or "maybe."

therefore, the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes.  Graph it.  Time on one axis, position on the other.  One line for each day.  The lines will cross.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]
THERE
IS
NO
X
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Regarding variable speeds and resting:  If you don't get the concept using an average speed, why would we expect you to get it using variable speeds and rests?

Two monks vs one:  monk1 is the monk going up and monk2 is the same monk going down.  Does it matter if they were the same monk on different days or two Monks on the same day?  They are walking the same path and will cross each other on their ways to the opposite end of the path.

Varying speeds on the different days:  This just makes the calculation more convoluted.  They both start walking at time 0.  At time 1, up walking monk is at Ud1.  Down walking monk is at Dd1.  At time x. The distances are Udx and Ddx.  At some point in time, let's say n, the monks will be at the same point on the path depending on how fast they walked and how long they rested.  Udn would equal Ddn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@FS7,

I think the train example is correct, if the speeds of the trains are variable, the impact location changes. The location  doesn't matter, just that it will be in a different spot, if one goes faster or slower. The riddle is that they have to be in the same place on both days at the same. If A gets further in less time than B, their meeting (in space) is closer to B's starting point the day before, at the same time.
Arbitrary 2 mile journey...
A makes it 1 mile by 1100.
B makes it 1 mile by 1100.
They passed at center, same time.
A makes it 1.1 mile by 1100
B makes it 1 mile by 1100
They passed earlier in Bs journey, different place, same time.

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Unless he's a time traveling monk, he will never be at the same point in time twice.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Any word back from the mod on a resolution?...

...how about OP?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
THERE
IS
NO
X
View Quote

so explain it then?

is this a simulation?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

...how about OP?
View Quote

We don’t need a moderator for a resolution.

The answer is not up for debate. Staccato is incorrect, and is welching on the bet that he offered.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This whole graph thing is best visualized as a line segment with points at each end. The points represent the "2"  monks on their common path of travel, the line.

Press play and both points start heading toward one another over the course of 8 hours. Eventually some time between 1 second after starting them 8 hours later the two points are going to converge no matter their respective speed or if they sometimes set idle for hours.

They will converge and that point was the common time of day they shared in the same place on the path.
View Quote
Elegantly stated.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. Again.

One morning a monk sets out at 8AM to climb a path up the mountain to reach the temple at the summit. He arrives at the temple at 8PM. He stays the night. The next day, he leaves the temple at 8AM to descend the mountain, traveling downhill, arriving at his starting point from the previous day at 8PM.

The riddle: Is there a spot along the path that the monk will pass at precisely the same time of day on both trips?

For the purposes of discussion:

The monk does not leave the path either day. He may speed up, slow down, even stop to rest, but he doesn't leave the path.

Also, "same spot" means same spot on the mountain path relative to the mountain; not space, so the Earth's rotation and path around the Sun don't affect anything for the purposes of discussion.

The speed of travel doesn't even matter...  One person from top to bottom and bottom to top 24 hours apart, is the same as two people from top to bottom and bottom to top at the same time, so far as this riddle is concerned.  Do their paths cross?  Answer: yes.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We don't need a moderator for a resolution.

The answer is not up for debate. Staccato is incorrect, and is welching on the bet that he offered.
View Quote
Who initiated the bet for pmags?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Who initiated the bet for pmags?
View Quote

Staccato did.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

...how about OP?
View Quote

OP is sitting back in his recliner laughing at all of this.

All going exactly as he expected.

I may hate him now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I may hate him now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...how about OP?

I may hate him now.

Yeah I feel poked.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I may hate him now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...how about OP?

I may hate him now.

'Some days we laugh at the jester. Other days we are the jester. Mostly, I'm glad to be just barely self-aware enough to realize the difference, even if I'm mostly the fool.'
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Staccato did.
View Quote
Hmm.... well I understand a bet is a bet, but this may be more trouble than it's worth for pmags. You'll have to share an address with him for starters. I'd label it a welch and move on.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hmm.... well I understand a bet is a bet, but this may be more trouble than it's worth for pmags. You'll have to share an address with him for starters. I'd label it a welch and move on.
View Quote

lol, Im not giving that dude my home address. I told him to donate ten bucks to St Jude instead.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Staccato did.

Eh, I'm with the OP on this. It'll be way more entertaining if Staccato keeps trying to 'not-welch' by chickenscratching all the charts, graphs, and maths everyone provides.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Request for the admins...

You know how users have those badges under their avatars showing their military service and whatnot?  Can we have a puzzle master badge and also a brainlet badge?  Just go through this thread and allocate the badges appropriately. Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#40]
i'm pretty sure @StaccatoC2 is OP's troll account.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree.  7 pages, not bad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
THERE
IS
NO
X
View Quote

I can prove that there is an X In the solution.

Would you agree that we could plot both paths on a graph with the x-axis being time and they y-axis being distance from the bottom?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not doing that either. I'd just settle for an apology.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Would you agree that we could plot both paths on a graph with the x-axis being time and they y-axis being distance from the bottom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
THERE
IS
NO
X

Have you seen his 'graphs'? Did you see what he did to an actual graph I posted?

Of course he won't agree to that. Even if he did 'agree', it would be to get you to post a graph so he could alter it, or try to to get you to use some 'blank chart' he thinks doesn't violate the laws of space/time.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The speed of travel doesn't even matter...  One person from top to bottom and bottom to top 24 hours apart, is the same as two people from top to bottom and bottom to top at the same time, so far as this riddle is concerned.  Do their paths cross?  Answer: yes.
View Quote

yes their paths of travel will cross I agree. I just disagree they will cross at the same time AND place.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Have you seen his 'graphs'? Did you see what he did to an actual graph I posted?

Of course he won't agree to that. Even if he did 'agree', it would be to get you to post a graph so he could alter it, or try to to get you to use some 'blank chart' he thinks doesn't violate the laws of space/time.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/mal-660.gif
View Quote

Like I said a few pages ago, it's a challenge to get Ken M to admit he's trolling.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

No I am not, and if the mod agrees you did as the bet stated, Give me a neutral 3rd party and I will send them the cost for 1 pmag from PSA including shipping and tax.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

yes their paths of travel will cross I agree. I just disagree they will cross at the same time AND place.
View Quote

Some people think the earth is flat. Some people think birds aren’t real. And some people don’t understand the monk on a mountain.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#49]
STILL, no one has addressed the real crux of the riddle

Changing altitude changes the effect of gravity. Gravity at the top of the mountain is less than gravity at the base of the mountain. Changing gravity changes time.

For the sake of the riddle, let's say the mountain is 500,000 km high.

Monk A and Monk B synchronize their watches. Monk A climbs the mountain on day 1.

On day 2, Monk A starts coming down and Monk B starts going up. When they cross paths, will their picosecond watches read the same time?

@StaccatoC2, get working on this. This may be your loophole to welch on the bet, legally.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No I am not, and if the mod agrees you did as the bet stated, Give me a neutral 3rd party and I will send them the cost for 1 pmag from PSA including shipping and tax.
View Quote

There are a couple dozen neutral third parties here all telling you that you are wrong.

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top