Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/28/2021 10:14:51 PM EDT
Ticks are out of control this season so we are going all out for aggressive biological agents: Guinea hens.

What breed does best in a backyard? We want it to stay on property. We know they are loud, but a quieter breed would be a bonus. Care needs aside from coop/protection?
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to be redundant, but ............... they are loud, and profoundly stupid.

Wild animals love to eat them too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, very loud and very stupid.

They wander - a lot - like up to a mile away.

If you raise them in a coop, then set them free they will come home to rood nightly.

DDT is a better option, seriously.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Possums eat ticks and aren’t near as noisy
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You already know they're loud, they also roost in trees, not just your trees, they'll fly to the neighbors trees, who also happen to have a couple of large dogs which will promptly dine on them.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
There aren’t really different ‘breeds’ of guineas, just different color varieties. They’re all equally loud and pretty stupid. I like them, but they aren’t great at surviving. We lost 9/10 of the ones we got.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep. We have a few running around the neighborhood already. We are looking to add more. Also thinking of group buying a few hundred quails to wild release.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep. We have a few running around the neighborhood already. We are looking to add more. Also thinking of group buying a few hundred quails to wild release.
View Quote

Everything above. Plus look into your state laws on the quail.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wild animals love to eat them too.
View Quote

This. My neighbor free ranges them.  But we haven’t had any ticks in the past several years
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Made good  money hatching and selling day old keets a few years ago.
I would buy eggs for $2/ dozen,  cook 28 days,  and sell for $5 each.
It was nice not dealing with the adults.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#11]
If you live near a road, that's where they will stay.  They like to play "chicken" with cars.  And are stupid.  Plan on replacing the entire flock every year due to their stupidity and death wishes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#12]
We raised ours with the chickens, and they don't wander off. They stay mostly in the yard with the chickens. But yes they are loud and idiotic.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#13]
they are good to eat. i like dark meat, and prefer guinea hens to chicken. great on the barbecue.

there was a high end grocery store that had them for a while in the meat department. i have not seen any for sale in a while.

i also love dove for the same reason (dark meat).
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#14]
If your heart is set on guineas then by all means get some.  But as has been hammered repeatedly here, they are LOUD and they are DUMB.  I would get chickens.  They will eat ticks all day long as well.  And you get tasty eggs and a docile, relatively quiet (get hens, no roosters) , fairly intelligent bird as well.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to raise them for insect control/home security back in the late 80’s to early 90’s. They were great watch dogs and very good insect destroyers. I got the wild idea to cook one for dinner. I dispatched and cleaned the bird and tried slow smoking it, but it turned out horrible. The meat is very dark and chewy. I’m in the market for some again, but they’ve been either hard to find or kinda pricy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]
While you are at it, get a couple peacocks too...
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Came to say how loud they are but I see that's been covered.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#18]
They aren't gonna stay on your property.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#19]
They’re dumb as fuck if you have predators they’re not gonna last long
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Shot one out my bedroom window once with a 20g
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Hello,

I live on 5 acres in the middle of a few hundred acres. Most is what we call CRP which is untouched over grown.

I have had chickens for over a decade that free range. I’ve had problems with ticks in the past.

These last 2 yrs I have added Gunieas but only 4. I haven’t had one problem with ticks or bugs this year.

Chickens and Gunieas focus on different insects and they both go about hunting them in different ways.

I’ll reiterate, they are dumb and can be noisy. Mine can get pretty far away but always within eye sight. Never a mile. They were brooded in a coop and they return every night.

The breed doesn’t matter. I have 1 of each of the 4 breeds I could get and they all act the same.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If your heart is set on guineas then by all means get some.  But as has been hammered repeatedly here, they are LOUD and they are DUMB.  I would get chickens.  They will eat ticks all day long as well.  And you get tasty eggs and a docile, relatively quiet (get hens, no roosters) , fairly intelligent bird as well.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Also they're really fecking loud
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Get a flock of possums.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is the kind of entertainment I come here for.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#26]
We are building on ~100 acres of previously unmanaged hilly farmland in Kentucky and the ticks are a whole thing.  Once we are living in the house, I want to brood a flock of chickens and throw maybe 10 guinea fowl in there. Hoping they'll all come home every night.  The initial chicken coop will probably be a Justin Rhodes style chickshaw with electric netting around it til I get the lay of the land and figure out where the best place for a permanent chicken coop is.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

As for the quail,  plan on a 70-80% mortality rate in the first few weeks,  mostly from predators.
Best luck we've had was with  Silkie hens used for hatching and brooding.
Next is cover and food plots,  with cheapest and best being regular old birdseed planted in  strips by wild rose and cedar thickets.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#28]
They are loud assholes who get eaten with great frequency.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Killed a number of them over the years when someone elses make it into my trees.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#30]
My buddy feeds about 10 a year to the Bobcats in the area.  As long as you don't get emotionally attached to them not being eaten, go for it.

They are WAY faster then chickens, yet his chickens rarely get killed, I'm guessing because they don't wander as far.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#31]
They will definitely alert their owners of any type of intrusion, animal or human.  Even a leaf falling, for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#32]
I've heard people say they're better than geese or a guard dog for warning of trespassers.  All I know is that I got chased by some back when I was a little kid.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Get a flock of possums.
View Quote

If you can shoot me a link to get possum that will kind of stay in the area, cool. I will try anything.

Locally these little turds are like $5 per. Fuck it, foing.

Quoted:
This thread is the kind of entertainment I come here for.
View Quote

Glad I can help.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quail will probably not live.

OP. Guineas are great watch dogs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Possums.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#36]
A friend has some on their hobby farm. Said they are great at keeping bugs in check and are pretty good at alerting them to people coming onto the property. And yes, they are loud.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We are building on ~100 acres of previously unmanaged hilly farmland in Kentucky and the ticks are a whole thing.  Once we are living in the house, I want to brood a flock of chickens and throw maybe 10 guinea fowl in there. Hoping they'll all come home every night.  The initial chicken coop will probably be a Justin Rhodes style chickshaw with electric netting around it til I get the lay of the land and figure out where the best place for a permanent chicken coop is.
View Quote

Id think the chicksaw/chicken tractor beat out a permanent coop.
Fuck cleaning out a chicken coop.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ticks are out of control this season so we are going all out for aggressive biological agents: Guinea hens.

What breed does best in a backyard? We want it to stay on property. We know they are loud, but a quieter breed would be a bonus. Care needs aside from coop/protection?
View Quote

Lolololol!  They will leave.  Chickens eat ticks too. And stay local. And lay delicious eggs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I saw a PBS show many years ago where they were trying to get an xray movie of a Guinea fowl running in place on a treadmill (GD LOVES them some treadmill!).
They had a plexiglass box around the active part. The had already gotten an iguana and some kind of mammal to run steady, no problem.
But that stupid Guinea fowl - instead of running in place the bird would stop and stand until its butt hit the back end, then run full tilt boogey forward until its head hit the front. Over and over and over.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Id think the chicksaw/chicken tractor beat out a permanent coop.
Fuck cleaning out a chicken coop.
View Quote

There's definitely a benefit to the tractor method.  I'm more concerned with having a low-effort maintenance and high-security situation during the winter or if/when we deal with predator pressure.  I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a super secure coop and run with flexible auxiliary electric netting runs during days that it's below freezing, where I have electricity to run a water dish heater and I don't have to deal with slipping around on our hilly land far from the house.  Long term I'd like to do a larger towable eggmobile and keep a smaller breeding flock in the permanent run when the weather is good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I reckon it's damn nearly impossible to hit one with a car.  

A guy I know who lived between me and town had tons of them.  I'd slow down to a near stop when they were in the road.  

Got annoying after a while.  I said something.  

He said not to worry.  Ain't nobody hit one yet.  He said some people nearly wreck trying to hit them.

Challenge accepted.

I remember the first time they were in the road I didn't have the guts to drive through them.  Slowed down.

Soon after that they were in the road again and I said fuck it.  I gritted my teeth and didn't let up.  Birds disappeared under the hood line of my car.  Didn't feel a thing.  Looked in rearview--nothing.  

After a while I quit caring.  Never did hit one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Get a couple peacocks to raise with the guinea hens.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#43]
i tried having guinea hens. they are loud, way too loud.

i'll stick with chickens.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Possums eat ticks and aren't near as noisy
View Quote
Ticks don't make up much of a possums diet.  Their tick eating is grossly exaggerated. They will not rid your yard or property of ticks like guineas will.

They also get in your garbage, kill your chickens and piss/shit all over hay and feed while being disease carriers.

But city people swear by possums for some stupid reason
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

is this a serious thing or a "if you're going to have unholy amounts of noise might as well have pretty birds also" thing?  Because I'd love peacocks but they seem awful to own.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Get a flock of possums.
View Quote

A group of opossums is called a "passel."  Please make a note of it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#47]
My neighbor a 1/4 mile away has a flock. They are great security. They alert the whole neighborhood any time anyone in the neighborhood does anything anywhere in the neighborhood.

And they really are amazingly stupid.

One day the flock of about 10 (1/4 from their home) ended up in my car port. 2 of them were somehow on the opposite side of a 12ft tall chain link fence. They fretted and fussed for 4 hours pacing the corner of the fence trying to reunite.  4 hours. Stuck in a corner. Open on 2 sides.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, best advice so far. Some goats would really round things out too.

Some folks a few miles down the road have guineas, every time I drive by there’s a few of them out in the street. They usually scatter, but there’s always lots of smashed ones in the road too. Seems like they just kind of stay within a half mile radius, which if you have neighbors who don’t want them causing a ruckus in their yard is a problem. I usually have around 30 chickens, I try to keep around 15 laying hens, 15 meat birds. They are much easier to manage and between the meat and eggs, they are more worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

is this a serious thing or a "if you're going to have unholy amounts of noise might as well have pretty birds also" thing?  Because I'd love peacocks but they seem awful to own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The latter.

If you really enjoy them, you’ll appreciate them anyway, but they’re really obnoxious.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There's definitely a benefit to the tractor method.  I'm more concerned with having a low-effort maintenance and high-security situation during the winter or if/when we deal with predator pressure.  I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a super secure coop and run with flexible auxiliary electric netting runs during days that it's below freezing, where I have electricity to run a water dish heater and I don't have to deal with slipping around on our hilly land far from the house.  Long term I'd like to do a larger towable eggmobile and keep a smaller breeding flock in the permanent run when the weather is good.
View Quote

A lot of the chicken tractors i'm seeing seem pretty dang secure, the one guy started with old crab pots completely enclosed with chicken wire. Battery powered water heater that was easy to refill, a feeder and a small area that had solid walls and a metal roof over the whole thing. The chickens never leave the tractor and they would just pull them to the next green spot every couple of days with the john deer. Sell them or stuff em in the freezer as soon as they are big enough. Small brooder area indoors for chicks...

Idk though i dont have chickens just some aspirations.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top