Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ticks are out of control this season so we are going all out for aggressive biological agents: Guinea hens.

What breed does best in a backyard? We want it to stay on property. We know they are loud, but a quieter breed would be a bonus. Care needs aside from coop/protection?
View Quote

We've had them.

1.  Unless you have them in a confined cage, they will fly away. They can easily make it up and over 8ft high fence with no problems.

2.  They are loud as hell....they make all kinds of screechy noises that you can hear from inside your home.

3.   They are wild as hell....like little raptors. You can't get close to them.

4.   They love to wonder off....they might come back, they might now.

5.   Dog and other predators love them.....

6.  You are better off with chickens....quieter, eat just as many bugs, calmer, docile, won't fly away, and you get eggs......
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw a PBS show many years ago where they were trying to get an xray movie of a Guinea fowl running in place on a treadmill (GD LOVES them some treadmill!).
They had a plexiglass box around the active part. The had already gotten an iguana and some kind of mammal to run steady, no problem.
But that stupid Guinea fowl - instead of running in place the bird would stop and stand until its butt hit the back end, then run full tilt boogey forward until its head hit the front. Over and over and over.
View Quote
I believe it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We've had them.

1.  Unless you have them in a confined cage, they will fly away. They can easily make it up and over 8ft high fence with no problems.

2.  They are loud as hell....they make all kinds of screechy noises that you can hear from inside your home.

3.   They are wild as hell....like little raptors. You can't get close to them.

4.   They love to wonder off....they might come back, they might now.

5.   Dog and other predators love them.....

6.  You are better off with chickens....quieter, eat just as many bugs, calmer, docile, won't fly away, and you get eggs......
View Quote

The San Diego Zoo used to let Guinea fowl, peafowl and other species run free in the entire park, which is about 100 acres.  They nested wherever they pleased in the landscaping, and seemed to thrive there.  They were out of control, so the zoo management decided to rein them in back in the mid-1980s.  I kind of miss the Guinea fowl being underfoot all the time.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-04-01-mn-1538-story.html

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They also get in your garbage, kill your chickens and piss/shit all over hay and feed while being disease carriers.
View Quote
They vector some nasty shit ........ I just looked it up.

I had the crazy idea that because they are marsupials they would not vector significant diseases of placental mammals.

So much for that idea.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

is this a serious thing or a "if you're going to have unholy amounts of noise might as well have pretty birds also" thing?  Because I'd love peacocks but they seem awful to own.
View Quote
Peacocks are noisy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While you are at it, get a couple peacocks too...
View Quote

This... But I'm a sicko and like peacocks.  Their horrific noises amuse me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
They suck

They will shit everywhere
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]
My neighbor has (had, lol) a flock of about 30. He lives a quarter mile away from me & when the noisy bastards come on my property they get shot at.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They will shit everywhere
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
While you are at it, get a couple peacocks too...
View Quote

Don’t forget geese. Hit the trifecta!
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

is this a serious thing or a "if you're going to have unholy amounts of noise might as well have pretty birds also" thing?  Because I'd love peacocks but they seem awful to own.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a couple peacocks to raise with the guinea hens.

A little of both but the peacocks will stick with the guineas and act like watch birds for them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A little of both but the peacocks will stick with the guineas and act like watch birds for them.
View Quote
Until the guineas fly away.

Does anyone clip their primary flight feathers?

(the long ones at the tip of the wing)
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Possums are horrible.  They will try to get inside anyplace they can find and crap and have babies.  They are not what you want.

Peacocks will make you think someone is being murdered or at least tortured with the noise they make.  They seem to be similar to guineas as watchbirds.

Guineas will go off and nest in a tree and raise chicks, then magically show back up after you think they're dead.  They run and crap everywhere and are just spastic and loud.  

Our neighbor had working border collies who loved chasing the guineas around.  The stupid birds would run in circles around a shed, then the dogs would turn around and run the other direction.  The birds were astonished by the dog's behavior every time, despite the fact that it happened every day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#14]
After thousands of years of domestication the chicken is by far the best backyard livestock.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Bantam chickens would be better, they are like mobile lawn ornaments and aren't as noisy as Guineas.  Bantams seem to be quicker and better at getting small bugs than big heritage breed chickens.   Some of them are beautiful and somewhat smart.  I had a buff laced Polish hen named Phyllis Diller that would ride on the back of the tractor with me when I mowed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If you buy and release quail all that you will accomplish is relocating and feeding every cat, hawk and bobcat in your area.  Predators love them some stupid pen raised quail.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#17]

whut?  Whut?  WHUT?
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Based on what I'm learning from this thread, there's not too much of a risk to getting a dozen guineas, because by the time a year is up, they'll all either be dead or moved onto your neighbor's land.  If you don't like them, don't get more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Based on what I'm learning from this thread, there's not too much of a risk to getting a dozen guineas, because by the time a year is up, they'll all either be dead or moved onto your neighbor's land.  If you don't like them, don't get more.
View Quote

You're a quick learner
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're a quick learner
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I hatched out a half dozen and kept them in a small tractor for a month until they had some flight feathers

then I moved them into a freestanding raided roost with a 10x10 chicken wired run made from split rail fencing

in the morning, I would open up the roost and let them out

in the evening i would herd them with 2, 6 foot poles and they would head back into the roost for lock down

if I was late to get them and they picked out a roost tree
there was no way to get them down

if I would let them out and run away from them,
they would cackle, run and fly after me

one bird was elected sonar pinger, and would call all day long
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I have seen them last ok until they sit a nest.  They will not leave it and are as good as dead if anything wants to make them a meal.  I have some outside my bedroom window - I find them somewhat soothing.  

---
I bought 10 chicks last year with the hope to breed them this year.  7 are still alive, and I have not been able to incubate a single damn egg from them.  In the meanwhile, 2 hens a friend gave us have given me over 30 new chickens.

They do shut up some at night.  It worries the hell out of me when I wake up and realize I have not heard them for an hr or 2.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Our neighbor had working border collies who loved chasing the guineas around.  The stupid birds would run in circles around a shed, then the dogs would turn around and run the other direction.  The birds were astonished by the dog's behavior every time, despite the fact that it happened every day.
View Quote
When you are stupid ....... every day is a new day.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
i tried having guinea hens. they are loud, way too loud.

i'll stick with chickens.
View Quote

This is what I found out. They never stop with the noise.

BTW I used a broody hen to hatch and raise the guineas and it worked like a charm.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I once saw a "discussion group" like that on a pond, with some ducks and geese and a snapping turtle in the center.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peacocks fly pretty dammed well
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#27]
We had a dozen of the gray ones, we kept them in a coup for about 2 and a half months and let them out. They ran around for about 2 days and then completely disappeared and were never seen again. No feathers, nothing. Like a UFO picked them and disappeared.

I bought another 10 white ones. My Dad didn't like the white ones, so he bought another 6 gray ones. We kept them in the coup about 5 months before we let them loose. They stayed but then all the white ones killed the off all the gray ones.

Slowly the white ones have died from various things. A couple got in the yard with the dogs and that was it. We think a coyote got a couple because then Dad caught coyote sneaking up to the coup and gave him what for with his LCP. He didn't come back after that.

We are down to one lonely hen. She wanders around pecking at the dirt. You can tell she's lonely, but she's the survivor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m a big fan of guinea fowl. I have 20 of them, as well as 20 chickens and 2 turkeys. I live out in the country on a 5,000 acre cattle ranch, so they can range as far as they please. They never go further than a 1/4 mile from the coop though. They’re hell on bugs, mice, and snakes. Since they free range more, and eat more bugs than any other domestic bird, their eggs are the best of them all. Very deep orange, rich yolk. They’re also incredibly entertaining to watch, very interesting mannerisms, flock dynamics, and they’re strong fliers. We’re covered in predators out here, but I’ll very seldom lose one, they do a great job of staying alive. I’d say get a few and try them out. If you don’t like them, they make great table fare! I’ll never be without a large flock of guinea fowl. Awesome critters.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

They fly..... ok.

They land poorly though, like a well tossed sack of shit.  It's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
My point was that I doubt the peacock would follow the guineas if they flew away.

Maybe they would, I truly don't know, but guess they would not.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Possums are horrible.  They will try to get inside anyplace they can find and crap and have babies.  They are not what you want.

Peacocks will make you think someone is being murdered or at least tortured with the noise they make.  They seem to be similar to guineas as watchbirds.

Guineas will go off and nest in a tree and raise chicks, then magically show back up after you think they're dead.  They run and crap everywhere and are just spastic and loud.  

View Quote

Several years ago a guy that lived up the road from me had about a dozen guineas. They would come down to my end of the road occasionally and my Australian Shepherd would round them up into a small group in the yard. He would keep them in that spot as long as I let him then we would lead them back to their home. I let him stand watch over them for over an hour one day, they never wandered more than a few feet from where he wanted them to be.

By the way, my neighbor that had the guineas had poop stains all over his roof. Their favorite place to roost was on the ridge.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They fly..... ok.

View Quote
I laughed out loud.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You already know they're loud, they also roost in trees, not just your trees, they'll fly to the neighbors trees, who also happen to have a couple of large dogs which will promptly dine on them.

Ask me how I know.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m a chicken man myself.  You can make a lot of friends with the amount of eggs they shit out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread is foul.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not to be redundant, but ............... they are loud, and profoundly stupid.

Wild animals love to eat them too.
View Quote
Yep.

A buddy of mine has a bunch.  They like to get smashed by cars.  They run in little packs so if one goes, they all go.  The carnage is something else.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My point was that I doubt the peacock would follow the guineas if they flew away.

Maybe they would, I truly don't know, but guess they would not.
View Quote

This guy I'm friends with has guineas as well as chickens. One day a male peacock showed up at his barn where the birds are kept and by the way he described its flight he was very impressed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks guys, this thread really brings back some awesome memories from the farm when I was a kid.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This guy I'm friends with has guineas as well as chickens. One day a male peacock showed up at his barn where the birds are kept and by the way he described its flight he was very impressed.
View Quote

I had one show up and adopt us years back.  Named him Pete.  Pete Cock.  He hated lawn mowers and would fly up into the trees when he heard one.  After it was put away he'd come back down again, and like I said it was.... somewhat ungraceful.  Mostly he'd just land on his big ass with a surprising thud, sometimes he'd thud down and roll a sort of a somersault.  I was impressed that he wasn't injured, impressed a bird that big could fly at all, but majestic it was not.  

At sunset he'd keep climbing to catch the last glimpse of the sun, and when he ran out of things to climb he'd let out with the most incredible repertoire of song, everything he knew I think, then tuck his head under his wing and go to sleep until first light.  My favorite goofy peacock noise was one he did that sounded like a goose honk followed by a turkey gobble.. HOOOOOOOOONK-gobblegobblegobble.  

Just like he showed up out of the blue, one day he just left.  We missed him.  I'd like to get more someday.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#41]
My Neighbor up the way had 4 now down to 2  noisy as hell. They like to go under my bird feeder and eat what drops on the ground. Only birds that makes more noise are peacocks.

I have mirrored reflective coating on my sunroom windows/doors. Those asshole birds will sit outside it and peck and squawk at their reflection and shit.  
They also like to shit in my driveway. I am getting really tired of it.

They go on the road a lot I am surprised they have not been run over yet. My other neighbor has a pool and the guinea guy used to have ducks and geese and they liked to shit all over his pool deck.

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They fly..... ok.

View Quote
Mine flew well.  Landed in trees, on rafters in the barn and the roof with no problems.  Never had one land hard

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Just like he showed up out of the blue, one day he just left.  We missed him.  I'd like to get more someday.
View Quote
Get more than one or they'll wander off. I kept 4 with my chickens.  2 cocks and two hens. They stayed with the chickens and never wandered.  They were so much taller than the chickens they'd see the predators first and warn them.  Cut my poultry losses down significantly
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Tiny Pedantic's Tidbit of the Day.

A Peacock is, by definition male ......... the female is called a peahen.

"Male peacock" is therefor a redundancy, and GD views redundancies with disdain.

That is all, please carry on.

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Tiny Pedantic's Tidbit of the Day.

A Peacock is, by definition male ......... the female is called a peahen.

"Male peacock" is therefor a redundancy, and GD views redundancies with disdain.

That is all, please carry on.

View Quote

Yes, they are peafowl.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My buddy feeds about 10 a year to the Bobcats in the area.  As long as you don't get emotionally attached to them not being eaten, go for it.

They are WAY faster then chickens, yet his chickens rarely get killed, I'm guessing because they don't wander as far.
View Quote

Chickens are a lot smarter than people give them credit for.  They have a strict social structure with their own language and warn each other of predators.  In fact, they have different call for an aerial predator versus a ground threat.  

But if you free range chickens, a rooster is a must-have.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
But if you free range chickens, a rooster is a must-have.
View Quote
One of my daughter's "hens" was an oops, and turned out to be a rooster.

She gave him away and got another hen ......... all he ever wanted to do was fuck.

I suspect the hens had a party when he left.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

She gave him away and got another hen ......... all he ever wanted to do was fuck.

View Quote
Roosters will fight off predators and save your hens. My old Rode Island red fought off foxes and a bobcat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Roosters will fight off predators and save your hens. My old Rode Island red fought off foxes and a bobcat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I attribute my very low levels of predation to my two roosters (as well as my guinea fowl and dogs). The roosters are always on high alert, constantly scanning for danger. Meanwhile, the hens have their heads down, stuffing their faces, and would be oblivious to a grizzly bear sneaking up on them.

The guineas are also very alert, and do a great job of warning the rest of the flock of potential danger.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My itty bitty tiny Mille Fleur rooster beat the ever living shit out of a hawk while the 2 other Roos guarded the hens and herded them up under the vehicles. The hawk decided to find a softer target even though it was easily 6 times the little rooster’s size.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top