User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
mmm tripas y al pastor

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be in Tijuana for the next four days.  First stop is my favorite cart. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Tiny corn tortillas
Leftover brisket, warmed up with some adobado seasoning (the good kind, with MSG)
Cilantro
Pickled red onion (thinly slice, throw in a jar with a bit of red wine vinegar and salt - shake every 30 minutes - should be ready in about an hour)
Habanero sauce
Squeeze of fresh lime

Holy moly, those are good.

Brisket is awesome, but we usually wind up with leftovers and microwaved brisket kinda sucks - unless you make tacos!  Once we figured that out, the leftovers go quick.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate that my local go-to Mex place can't do proper street tacos. You have to ask for cilantro, onion, and lime? Otherwise you get meat inside 2 soft corn tortillas, and a side of the table salsa. As much as I've eaten there and ordered that, it should be a staple menu item. With my name on it.

Wish I could find a taco truck that came close to my AO.

I do enjoy a classic American taco, i.e., Taco Bell. Crunchy supreme. Granted, they are something entirely different than a street taco but just as good, and more readily available.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a simple man (actually, treading dangerously close to Thorazine territory.)

Ortega hard shells.
Ground chuck.
Any brand of powdered taco seasoning - add extra cayenne pepper and Ancho chili powder.

Diced tomato
Lettuce
Pickled jalapenos
Diced onion
Shredded Kraft Mexican blend cheese
NO CILANTRO.  

Extra fillings get stuffed into a soft flour tortilla.

Nom Nom.
View Quote

This, except I first line the shell with refried beans.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Carne Guisada add hot sauce

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'll be in Tijuana for the next four days.  First stop is my favorite cart. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/85319/56344E7C-51A6-450E-A3CF-E5D925324CDB_jpe-1922357.JPG
View Quote

@el_hombre

How much does he charge for you to put your head under the spit and carve meat directly into your mouth?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Birria Tacos are best tacos. Meat , cheese, onion, cilantro, tortilla dipped in meat juice then fried.

Then you dip the whole thing in meat juice again and enjoy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329281/5367B59E-CCFB-480F-9227-CB493ABFAC03_jpe-1921656.JPG
View Quote

Dayuuummm!!!

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just no fish.

Gross stuff doesn't belong in tacos.

Whoever invited that was probably a democrat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Fajita tacos are best tacos.

Ensenada style (or San Diego style) fried fish tacos are second best,

Tacos al pastor (Lebanese-Mexican) are also excellent.

Carne guisada another favorite

My oldest son loves barbacoa (con ojos y cesos)

Brisket tacos are always a favorite at my house, as are pulled pork.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Ok gringos, listen up-

This pic shows what a flour tortilla is supposed to look like.  See those manchitos (spots)?  They’re from properly toasting the tortilla on the parilla.

If your flour tortilla doesn’t have dark, scorched spots, you’re doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I love tacos. And Burritos. And Gorditas.

There's a little local Mexican grocery store near me that has THE BEST Gorditas. I prefer the Carne Asada, but will also eat Lengua, El Pastor, ground beef, grilled chicken, fish, shrimp, chorizo....ehhh, anything. Pulled pork BBQ and beef brisket also make excellent tacos and burritos (with slaw and beans).

Possibly the best tacos I ever had were on my honeymoon in Costa Rica. We grabbed lunch at a hole in the wall. A local fisherman had brought in a Marlin the day before and we had fresh Marlin tacos. Yum.

View Quote

Where my family's from, gorditas have no filling.  They are made with a sweetened and spiced dough and look kinda like thick corn tortillas, and they get fried and they puff up when you fry them, which is why they are called gorditas.  I mostly saw them served with breakfast.  They just get eaten straight-up as-is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Where my family's from, gorditas have no filling.  They are made with a sweetened and spiced dough and look kinda like thick corn tortillas, and they get fried and they puff up when you fry them, which is why they are called gorditas.  I mostly saw them served with breakfast.  They just get eaten straight-up as-is.
View Quote

Super regional, in my experience.

I’ve even seen them used in pairs to make sandwiches.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Had fish tacos last night.  Fresh caught bass and crappie that was breaded and deep fried, along with store bought catfish nuggets, and some grilled on the griddle swai and a piece of grilled salmon that was lunch today on a strawberry salad.  Fresh pico is a plus.  I usually use some tanjin, Cajun seasoning, or a homemade saltpeppergarliconionpowder concoction for fish.  Usually lettuce as kids don't care for the cabbage/ slaw mix, cheese, seasoned black beans, and salsa
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Speaking of salsa, what's the proper name for the brownish-red spicy salsa that most tex-mex places serve with tacos carne asada?

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]

This pretty much nails it.   When we smoke a full brisket we use the point meat, shredded and simmered in seasoning for use in tacos and burritos.  Takes them to another level.   BTW always need lime with tacos.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
White onion
Cilantro
Cotija cheese

The rest of you are wrong and should feel bad.
View Quote

You forgot lime.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Speaking of salsa, what's the proper name for the brownish-red spicy salsa that most tex-mex places serve with tacos carne asada?

View Quote

Salsa taquera(more like a sauce) or salsa ranchera(thicker and roasted)
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
life hack

they give you two tortillas with a taco because they want you to make two tacos

so you empty half into one and voila, two tacos

this is for tax purposes
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Tacos al Pastor for me please.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
life hack

they give you two tortillas with a taco because they want you to make two tacos

so you empty half into one and voila, two tacos

this is for tax purposes
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Carnitas, cilantro, onion, lime, and green salsa or guac.
View Quote

Nailed it. Really, I'm fine with just the onions cilantro and limes. Simple. Delicious.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also make a non-sweetened version in the area that is fried until it gets crispier on the outside and it has toppings on it like a little tostada. IIRC, the sweet ones sometimes are made with cheese in the dough mix, too.

The sweet ones look like this when they are puffy:

The ones served like tostadas look like this:

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They also make a non-sweetened version in the area that is fried until it gets crispier on the outside and it has toppings on it like a little tostada. IIRC, the sweet ones sometimes are made with cheese in the dough mix, too.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThxBhTBCHacYO7jkrSSmfE1_cXgjzRe73koA&usqp=CAU

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7qXIqd4wHZs/XRKjg1uSsgI/AAAAAAAAABc/JjIpq4rtC1U2WpiU628uZRwS3ffhVGgEACLcBGAs/s1600/Gorditas.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThxBhTBCHacYO7jkrSSmfE1_cXgjzRe73koA&usqp=CAU

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7qXIqd4wHZs/XRKjg1uSsgI/AAAAAAAAABc/JjIpq4rtC1U2WpiU628uZRwS3ffhVGgEACLcBGAs/s1600/Gorditas.jpg

The fat chalupa style is what I’m most used to.  I don’t want them all the time, but occasionally? Awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The local place makes those puffy ones, but they aren't really sweet, just crunchy, and they have carne asada and cilantro and a little goat cheese(?) in them.

Mmmmm.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, don't let these people get you down.

Nothing wrong with tacos a la los gringos.

Let your gringo flag fly.

Say it loud.

I'm a gringo and proud.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

That right there is a fucking PROPER flour tortilla!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Since we are now talking about tortillas de harina. Any of you guys been to a Cola War?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Since we are now talking about tortillas de harina. Any of you guys been to a Cola War?
View Quote

Yeah, and I OD'd on your tortillas!  Sooooo good!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#30]
For me the perfect taco has lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream & fresh jalapeño. I do like a specific hot sauce on tacos which is kinda random...Jason’s Mom’s Sauce (thank me later). Also, how did you clowns make it 3 pages without this gif???

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Al Pastor - very nice!
View All Quotes

First time I made them, I thought, "Where have these been all my life?.  

I've got a couple cases of MRE tray taco meat. It's actually not to bad.  Looks like Taco Bell, but without the blowouts afterword.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Where is this, looks fantastic!
View Quote

Tingy in McAllen, TX.   I'm sure there's other places that make Birria Tacos but I can vouch for these.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Came here expecting Tacoma thread.   Leaving surprisingly refreshed
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Came here expecting Tacoma thread.   Leaving surprisingly refreshed
View Quote

It's kind of like any thread that talks about "Rush."

You have to peak in it to know of it's about the band, or about the late Mr. Limbaugh.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Salsa Roja? I’m probably wrong.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They guys selling them didnt speak a lick of English, so I trust their taco judgement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canned Pineapple, on a taco? https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_confused.gif

Someone ban this guy

They guys selling them didnt speak a lick of English, so I trust their taco judgement.

Attachment Attached File

These guys - actually cute younger gals (smart marketing) - speak English  - I trust them more

Attachment Attached File

Like our fav sushi place, often the only English primary speakers there

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#37]
On second thought, if a Meteor hits on Friday, Tuesday will hence forth be nacho day.

I'll just cook-up some taco "meat" maybe throw in some whole black beans or refried beans, open a bag of corn chips and make due with jarred salsa, canned cheese and canned ja-la-pee-noes().
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:20:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This pretty much nails it.   When we smoke a full brisket we use the point meat, shredded and simmered in seasoning for use in tacos and burritos.  Takes them to another level.   BTW always need lime with tacos.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep! This was day two pulled pork fried in lard and seasoning. But I've done it with brisket too.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Always built tacos in the standard gringo fashion (meat, sauce, cheese, lettuce, tomato) but added slabs of fresh avocado one time....been doing it since.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Damn, now I want taco's.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Birria Tacos are best tacos. Meat , cheese, onion, cilantro, tortilla dipped in meat juice then fried.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/329281/5367B59E-CCFB-480F-9227-CB493ABFAC03_jpe-1921656.JPG
View Quote

motherofgod.jpg
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This, except I first line the shell with refried beans.
View Quote

Works for me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Carnitas, cilantro, onion, lime, and green salsa or guac.
View Quote

And here is the proper answer...end of discussion.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Had tacos last night in favor of Cinco de Mayo.  Local place did some where it was steak and chorizo.  Wew.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's a gyro.

If it was lamb it would be a gyro. Al Pastor is Pork and delicious. My favorite kind of taco.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a thing. And it's good. Never had it on a taco but love an al pastor burrito.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor
That's a gyro.

If it was lamb it would be a gyro. Al Pastor is Pork and delicious. My favorite kind of taco.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#46]
How about a taco lasagna/casserole type deal? I'm gonna make one shortly but im just winging it. Need something for the late shift the next few days and I'm tired and my back is obliterated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#48]
That is the saddest taco I have ever seen.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Today is the 4th anniversary of getting a stent in my heart. Guess I'm going to go celebrate by working on #2!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've never seen nor heard of this, but I would eat that whole box!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top