BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guam is a nice place.... I'd love to live in PR. Flights are cheap as hell. But I'm not in the mood of hurricanes on an island.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love where I live but it costs too gotdamn much to get CONUS.
Guam is a nice place.... I'd love to live in PR. Flights are cheap as hell. But I'm not in the mood of hurricanes on an island.

I'd LOVE to visit Guam and maybe live there a few years.  Permanently?  No.  

Things I miss about Guam:
1.  Shorts and T-shirt weather every day/night. Collared short sleeve shirt and shorts is formal wear
2.  Amazing variety of food and great restaurants
3.  Warm water snorkeling in solitude.  I'd go out with a Hawaiian spear for 6+ hours and never see anyone and come back with no fish.
4.  Outdoor market on Marine Drive every Saturday.  I have too many PI  leaf spring machetes
5.  Fiestas
6.  WW2 history extravaganza
7.  Southern part of island completely different than North in a good way
8.  Rain today?  Everything is dry and sunny 5 mins later (except when it rains for 2 weeks non-stop)
9.  Close travel to Asia, PI, and Australia
10.  Foreign tropical Asian appeal, but American customs and English.  Vastly more English than Puerto Rico, Florida, or Texas.
11.  Somehow they had a nice 1/4 drag strip
12.  Nothing poisonous on entire island, so you could hike without care

Things I do not miss about Guam
1.  Dry season is danger hot and humid in the middle of the day unless in the water
2.  Rust.  Everything metal will rust.  Chip on car's paint will be solid rust the next morning.
3.  Mold.  Lots of mold.  Need to run A/C 24/7
4.  No fish.  Locals overfished all the waters
5.  Flys and mosquitoes.  Locals ate all the bats and birds that control flying insects.  They blame it in the harmless rare brown snake.  Lies.  
6.  Hatred for haoles (white people). Lots of local only beaches and locations.  Similar to Hawaii.
7.  Lack of single women.  GUAM = Give Up And Masturbate.
8.  Complete lack of choice with food and other products.  
9.  Massive corruption from locals against non-locals.  Fees, taxes, different rules and prices for non-locals
10.  Unforgiving reef when snorkeling. Lots of unreported deaths of non locals.  TDY mil deaths a monthly occurrence due to ignorance.  
11.  Insane gun laws.  You're not getting any ammo anyway.  
12.  Flights back to CONUS are crazy long and expensive
13.  Hearing the word "boonie" substituted for everything the locals didn't know the actual name for.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I was born and raised in literally the Purple Mountains Majesty. in 1995 I got married and moved to Florida and started a career in Southern Law Enforcement. Sun burns, water destroys and just about every plant / animal / incest / human in this state tries to kill you. Oh, and being a LEO in Florida ain't nothing like Miami Vice!
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was born and raised in literally the Purple Mountains Majesty. in 1995 I got married and moved to Florida and started a career in Southern Law Enforcement. Sun burns, water destroys and just about every plant / animal / incest / human in this state tries to kill you. Oh, and being a LEO in Florida ain't nothing like Miami Vice!
View Quote

Florida man make Freudian slip.

@RABIDFOX50
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your coastal areas are the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this one of those troll threads where people come in and say why their state is better than FL and you get all butt hurt and insult whatever state they have listed?

Oh yeah I see it now. It is one of those threads. I guess you were about due for another one.

I'll play.

Florida sucks. It's hot and humid, and has too many Yankees, alligators, and snakes. Also, swamps. Fuck everything about FL.

Your turn.

You are not too far off, I live on the coast, humid as fuck and 86 degrees yesterday....though I don't see many snakes or gators. Most certainly too many people from all locations.

I wonder if I should bring my dehumidifier to Arizona? That sounds like a stupid question, but it might be handy during monsoon season.
Do any south east AZ people in the higher elevations use a dehumidifier?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'd LOVE to visit Guam and maybe live there a few years.  Permanently?  No.  

Things I miss about Guam:
1.  Shorts and T-shirt weather every day/night. Collared short sleeve shirt and shorts is formal wear
2.  Amazing variety of food and great restaurants
3.  Warm water snorkeling in solitude.  I'd go out with a Hawaiian spear for 6+ hours and never see anyone and come back with no fish.
4.  Outdoor market on Marine Drive every Saturday.  I have too many PI  leaf spring machetes
5.  Fiestas
6.  WW2 history extravaganza
7.  Southern part of island completely different than North in a good way
8.  Rain today?  Everything is dry and sunny 5 mins later (except when it rains for 2 weeks non-stop)
9.  Close travel to Asia, PI, and Australia
10.  Foreign tropical Asian appeal, but American customs and English.  Vastly more English than Puerto Rico, Florida, or Texas.
11.  Somehow they had a nice 1/4 drag strip
12.  Nothing poisonous on entire island, so you could hike without care

Things I do not miss about Guam
1.  Dry season is danger hot and humid in the middle of the day unless in the water
2.  Rust.  Everything metal will rust.  Chip on car's paint will be solid rust the next morning.
3.  Mold.  Lots of mold.  Need to run A/C 24/7
4.  No fish.  Locals overfished all the waters
5.  Flys and mosquitoes.  Locals ate all the bats and birds that control flying insects.  They blame it in the harmless rare brown snake.  Lies.  
6.  Hatred for haoles (white people). Lots of local only beaches and locations.  Similar to Hawaii.
7.  Lack of single women.  GUAM = Give Up And Masturbate.
8.  Complete lack of choice with food and other products.  
9.  Massive corruption from locals against non-locals.  Fees, taxes, different rules and prices for non-locals
10.  Unforgiving reef when snorkeling. Lots of unreported deaths of non locals.  TDY mil deaths a monthly occurrence due to ignorance.  
11.  Insane gun laws.  You're not getting any ammo anyway.  
12.  Flights back to CONUS are crazy long and expensive
13.  Hearing the word "boonie" substituted for everything the locals didn't know the actual name for.

View Quote

Could you explain more about #10? What gets people when they are snorkeling?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm in Central, even though I love all regions (with the exception of certain metro areas).
View Quote

How’s your seasons?
I could live in the keys or the forgotten coast.  At least a few months per year.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It fucking hurts to see what's going on in Georgia.
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this one of those troll threads where people come in and say why their state is better than FL and you get all butt hurt and insult whatever state they have listed?

Oh yeah I see it now. It is one of those threads. I guess you were about due for another one.

I'll play.

Florida sucks. It's hot and humid, and has too many Yankees, alligators, and snakes. Also, swamps. Fuck everything about FL.

Your turn.

In terms of climate.

In terms of scenery or beach quality they’re not even close to anything Florida offers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In terms of climate.

In terms of scenery or beach quality they're not even close to anything Florida offers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll play.

Your turn.

In terms of climate.

In terms of scenery or beach quality they're not even close to anything Florida offers.

What you don't like the hyperfat Mexican women and the mucky Misissippi river drainage water of the Texas Gulf Coast?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm in Central, even though I love all regions (with the exception of certain metro areas).
View Quote

West Melbourne here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

West Melbourne here.
View Quote

Is that your boat in your avatar? Got more pics?

@burbanite
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]
That belonged to a friend of mine in TX. Actually, now that you mention it, it has been my avatar for so long I can't remember why I used it when I had perfectly good boats of my own...

Another pic of this boat:

My boats:-

A Stevens 18' Tunnel Runner ski race boat. Big block, v-drive.

Sanger 18' Hydro. 468" BB, twin 660's on a tunnel ram, (replaced with a 496" blown alcohol BB).

Shiada 21' RT. Twin turboed 510" BB, 300 shot nitrous injected v-drive. 3 speed Art Carr prepped trans with reverse pattern valve body, also a ski race boat.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That belonged to a friend of mine in TX. Actually, now that you mention it, it has been my avatar for so long I can't remember why I used it when I had perfectly good boats of my own...

Another pic of this boat:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/roller-1707329.jpg

My boats:-

A Stevens 18' Tunnel Runner ski race boat. Big block, v-drive.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/V-Drive1_JPG-1707338.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/V-Drive4_JPG-1707339.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/V-Drive2_JPG-1707340.jpg

Sanger 18' Hydro. 468" BB, twin 660's on a tunnel ram, (replaced with a 496" blown alcohol BB).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/Morse4_JPG-1707343.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/84022_JPG-1707345.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/84021_JPG-1707346.jpg

Shiada 21' RT. Twin turboed 510" BB, 300 shot nitrous injected v-drive. 3 speed Art Carr prepped trans with reverse pattern valve body, also a ski race boat.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/Schiada1-1707357.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/Schiada4-1707358.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46079/Schiada5-1707359.jpg
View Quote

Jeeeeezus! Those are some really nice boats! I think owning a boat would make living in Florida a lot more bearable. My Dad lives in Florida but has never owned a boat.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jeeeeezus! Those are some really nice boats! I think owning a boat would make living in Florida a lot more bearable. My Dad lives in Florida but has never owned a boat.
View Quote

But like anywhere they can be a pain in the ass. I had my starter die a few minutes after I took this pic
last Friday. The boat was not running quite right. I suspect moisture in the fuel and was trying to run some
fuel out so I could put some fresh fuel in. Well I was in the canal between Lake Hatchineha and Lake Kissimmee.
I pick up some weeds on the prop. I stopped to put it in reverse and the motor died. I went to start it and the
starter does not engage the flywheel. I paddled all 5k pounds of it a couple hundred yard and a family came
along in their boat and they pulled me into Camp Mack. Getting to the starter is quite difficult and the local
shop is not working on mercruisers right now. I need to find a mechanic or do it myself.

Boat ramps camp be quite stressful as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In terms of climate.

In terms of scenery or beach quality they’re not even close to anything Florida offers.
View Quote

Yeah, if you're idea of a pretty beach is wall to wall condos.   I had to spend Thanksgiving in Florida, two blocks from a beach, and if I hadn't know we were that close, I could have sworn we were in Orlando.  

Another friend of mine, a life long resident of south Florida, moved here to the Mississippi gulf coast about fifteen years ago.  We were talking about what it used to be like down there, and he said he had recently talked to one of his friend down in Coral Gables where he was from and told him he missed it and was  thinking about visiting it.

His friend said,  "Better not to come visit, and keep your false memories alive."  

I still have to go to Florida all the time on contracts I have there, and thirty minutes of south Florida traffic is all it take to remind me of why I moved from there.

The only redeeming feature of Florida,  is that it's closer to the Bahamas and used to only take  me a few hours to get there, where as now it takes me a week or more, depending on weather.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Damnit.
I KNOW there's a nice big Permit in there somewhere!
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Retired guy here.   Ohio for the win.   Rural Ohio is cheap and fantastic.
View Quote

It's chock full of Ohioans.
GotDamn strangest people I ever met in the Army, to a one.
No way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It can be a little like Miami Vice.  My issued vehicle for a while when I was down there was a CL55 AMG Mercedes and we had a 62 foot Bertram sportfish we used to use for undercover drug deals.  

I remember one morning, when we had 150 kilos of cocaine and $750,000 of cash from a bust the night before, piled up on the large table we used for processing evidence in the middle of our group area, when the SAC walked in.  He asked why it was still sitting there, and we told we just hadn't had time to deal with it yet, and he just shook his head and said, well at least you guys are working, and walked out.

One thing people don't talk about much, but it's always just under the surface, is that drug money built Miami.  And, there is still a lot of it there because Miami is probably the money laundering capitol of the United States.  All that infrastructure is still there from back in the big Cocaine days.  And, it's still a transshipment point for a lot of the non-Mexican cartels.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
...but you are right, living where you love is priceless .
It took me 30 years of moving and hustling, but I love where I am now.
They'll bury me here
View Quote
Zimbabwe?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Zimbabwe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...but you are right, living where you love is priceless .
It took me 30 years of moving and hustling, but I love where I am now.
They'll bury me here
Zimbabwe?

Good catch!!!

@VintageSmoker Tell us about Zimbabwe!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree.  Good news for me is that most people would rather die than live here, so I don’t have to worry too much about blue state tards moving in and ruining it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Living in Florida is one of the things I’m most grateful for in life.

I love this state so damn much.
View Quote

Living somewhere you love is priceless.
View Quote

YUp. I say this all the time.

" if i won 50" million bucks, i would not move, as i love my house and where i live....however.. All my neighbors would be moving. Id buy they places and bulldoze them. Plant trees, and orchards until i was living on 1000 acres by myself.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184940/F1DB81BC-C644-4F47-A2BE-2E95FF8E2EB5_jpe-1686988.JPG

My time here is setting. I will forever cherish being able to live in the absolute best place in the best state for so many years.
View Quote

@mdguy90

Work move?  Don’t know you but always enjoyed the pics.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Come on, I mean Alaska has got to be a bit more safe than the remainder of the West Coast.

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But like anywhere they can be a pain in the ass. I had my starter die a few minutes after I took this pic
last Friday. The boat was not running quite right. I suspect moisture in the fuel and was trying to run some
fuel out so I could put some fresh fuel in. Well I was in the canal between Lake Hatchineha and Lake Kissimmee.
I pick up some weeds on the prop. I stopped to put it in reverse and the motor died. I went to start it and the
starter does not engage the flywheel. I paddled all 5k pounds of it a couple hundred yard and a family came
along in their boat and they pulled me into Camp Mack. Getting to the starter is quite difficult and the local
shop is not working on mercruisers right now. I need to find a mechanic or do it myself.

Boat ramps camp be quite stressful as well.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126641/Resized_20201127_094637_jpg-1710242.JPG
View Quote
Nevertheless,
I will say it again - Florida is the answer.

I lived everywhere but nothing is like Florida - the last of the savage, free states

(attaching muh house)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Damn dude, you had a much better camera as a kid.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top