FIFY
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Now I'm hungry
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]

From the dawn of time we came, moving silently down through the centuries. Leading many secret lives. Struggling to reach the time of the Gathering, when the few who remain will battle to the last. No one has ever known we were among you...until now.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's make a pact...

I will consider the moral implications of eating lobster after the following conditions are met:

1. I can afford to eat it as often as the FSA food-stampers can afford to eat it.
2. The left agrees that it is immoral to attempt to infringe upon or strip me of my 2nd amendment rights.
3. The FSA food-stamps no longer pay for them to dine on steak and lobster.

Way to read the thread... or the article.
Didn't even read the fucking title right.  

Considering how many people spell "moron" wrong on this site, I can't say I'm surprised.

People spell it moran on purpose.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP you have images of Crayfish, not Lobsters.

No I am pretty sure those are lobsters.

They dont have claws they are crayfish

ETA huge brain fart they are crawfish

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/commercial/spiny-lobster/
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think people call them spiny lobsters.  As you know from my aquaponics thread, crayfish have large claws whereas the spiny lobsters do not.  IIRC, spiny lobsters tend to live in warm waters and lobsters in cold.  Just a random pic off google for spiny lobster:

http://reefguide.org/pix/lobster10.jpg

Spiny Lobsters arent lobster, like 30 rnd Ar-15 magazines are not clips.  Lobsters live in cold water and have claws, crayfish live in warm water and do not have claws.

ETA Spiny Lobster are Crawsfish not Crayfish, huge brain fart

Maine's and Spiny's are not even in the same family

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lobster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiny_lobster

Although they superficially resemble true lobsters in terms of overall shape and having a hard carapace and exoskeleton, the two groups are not closely related. Spiny lobsters can be easily distinguished from true lobsters by their very long, thick, spiny antennae, by the lack of chelae (claws) on the first four pairs of walking legs, although the females of most species have a small claw on the fifth pair,[6] and by a particularly specialized larval phase called phyllosoma. True lobsters have much smaller antennae and claws on the first three pairs of legs, with the first being particularly enlarged.

Spiny lobsters have typically a slightly compressed carapace, lacking any lateral ridges. Their antennae lack a scaphocerite, the flattened exopod of the antenna. This is fused to the epistome (a plate between the labrum and the basis of the antenna). The flagellum, at the top of the antenna, is stout, tapering and very long. The ambulatory legs (pereopods) end in claws (chelae).[7]

I have pulled many a spiny out from under a rock and caught them crossing grass flats diving at night in the Florida Keys
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's make a pact...

I will consider the moral implications of eating lobster after the following conditions are met:

1. I can afford to eat it as often as the FSA food-stampers can afford to eat it.
2. The left agrees that it is immoral to attempt to infringe upon or strip me of my 2nd amendment rights.

Considering how many people spell "moron" wrong on this site, I can't say I'm surprised.

I asked about this one time and was told it was intentional.  

So as much as I want to laugh at everyone who spells it like that, I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

Crayfish, by definition, are freshwater.

Lobster are salt water.  Spiny/Rock lobster is is a different species than a "true lobster", but I'd argue that it's still closer to the lobster than to the cray/crawfish

They are not crayfish, in the US, they are Crawfish many countries call clawless "lobster" crayfish though  You can can check the links I edited above they are not simply claw less lobsters
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

Lobster are salt water.  Spiny/Rock lobster is is a different species than a "true lobster", but I'd argue that it's still closer to the lobster than to the cray/crawfish

What are you, a professor or somethin'?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Are you serious?  Was that pic that funny?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Immortal with drawn butter and some rolls.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

They are not crayfish, in the US, they are Crawfish many countries call clawless "lobster" crayfish though  You can can check the links I edited above they are not simply claw less lobsters

I realize they are not the same species than the "true lobster"  - but I still argue that their size and salt-water habitat make them a legitimate "lobster"

Also, they taste a lot like "true" lobster.  Quite different from craw/cray-fish, IMO.

They dont taste like a true lobster, and its a good thing you dont teach Wildlife Biology!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#17]
mmmm tasty bugs!!!

seriously though...they look like aliens.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Over time our DNA is damaged and we slowly die.

However Lobsters seem to have a unique enzyme that repairs this DNA

Wonder how soon biologists will figure out how to use this on other species? And could it lead toward disease cures?

I heard the same interview.  They were able to turn off some gene in these little worms and increase their life span by up to 6 times as long.  Normal lifespan for the worms was about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]
There can be only one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Left wing hippie friend showed up with SOY BUTTER only!

Visiting a sailing friend in Maine.

Just because.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

I realize they are not the same species than the "true lobster"  - but I still argue that their size and salt-water habitat make them a legitimate "lobster"

Also, they taste a lot like "true" lobster.  Quite different from craw/cray-fish, IMO.

They dont taste like a true lobster, and its a good thing you dont teach Wildlife Biology!  

I'm just saying that your claim that they are "crawfish" is AS incorrect as any claim that they are "true" lobsters.  

They are "Spiny Lobster" or "Rock Lobster" - craw/crayfish is a completely different animal.  (Also, lots of craw/crayfish DO have claws)

And I agree that they don't taste the same as "true" lobster - they actually have MORE flavor.  I say that, having eaten some in Florida that I brought directly from the dive boat to the kitchen.  

but its not incorrect
They are crawfish, thats why they are referred to as Crawfish in the Florida regulations
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#23]

crawfish or lobster, doesn't matter, both are like 1 evolutionary level above a roach.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
“Dad-a-chack? Did-a-chick? Dum-a-chum? Dod-a-chock?”

AH where's my giant revolver with sandal wood grips?

And astin, dont forget a heap of astin.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

but its not incorrect
They are crawfish, thats why they are referred to as Crawfish in the Florida regulations

That is news to me.

Do you have a cite for that?  EVERYONE I know in Florida calls them lobster, and when I say everyone, I mean the people that I've gone lobstering with.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/lobster/ ... as do Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (who apparently set the regulations)

In the link I posted above, it used to called them crawfish on the page you linked to a few years back.  I have been lobstering many many times.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There was another study where lobsters were territorial...in the traps. Those that were caught would fight those that tried to get in. The study was done to determine why they never seemed to get "over fished".

lol
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but its not incorrect

That is news to me.

Do you have a cite for that?  EVERYONE I know in Florida calls them lobster, and when I say everyone, I mean the people that I've gone lobstering with.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/lobster/ ... as do Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (who apparently set the regulations)

In the link I posted above, it used to called them crawfish on the page you linked to a few years back.  I have been lobstering many many times.

Hah - in that case I am declaring victory!!! ... or at least a draw.  

I will admit to a draw, if you start calling mags, clips

ETA I call them lobster or bugs also  http://myfwc.com/media/2241671/Commercial_Regulations_2012_July-December.pdf  right here page 13 for the commercial regs, Spiny Lobster (Crawfish) Regulations
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Man, now I going to have to go get some lobster tomorrow
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#31]
great, giant immortal lobsters with stinging jellyfish tentacles...

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#32]
They are immortal until I eat them...

And they sure are tasty
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Crawfish....lobster....will it really matter when our 500 lb crustacean overlords come knocking at our door with a barrel of butter in each claw?
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Hmm, didn't know this.

The one I am familiar with is the immortal jellyfish - more of a life cycle trick though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/magazine/can-a-jellyfish-unlock-the-secret-of-immortality.html

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember how excited everyone was about telomerase back when I was studying genetics in the late 90s.  Unfortunately, it has been pretty slow-going, and while I haven't been involved in a long time, it is a field that never really took off.  I remember them predicting viable life-extending therapies by 2020.  It doesn't really seem to be moving in that direction, though, or at least at the rate imagined.  Like another poster suggested, unmitigated cell proliferation always seems to be the elephant in the room.  Perhaps telomere therapy doesn't work so well in higher organisms due to genomic complexity.  If researchers can find a way to apply it to all human tissue, safely, it could be very interesting.

Also, the mechanism involved in this article doesn't actually confer true immortality, obviously.  It does, however, limit death due to aging, or diseases related directly to aging.  For those who aren't familiar, I'll try to give a brief overview, as best as I can recall:

Most cells have a finite number of times they can divide (Hayflick Limit).  This is because a small chunk of genetic material gets left off during replication, due to the way the ribosome "reads" the sequence.  This sequence, however, repeats a number of times, so there is redundancy.  These segments, known as telomeres, basically serve to keep important genetic material from being lost.  Eventually, though, the chromosome runs out of telomeres, and good genetic material is lost, ultimately resulting in cell death.  Some cells, though, have an enzyme that replaces these lost fragments, meaning that the cell can divide forever, so long as it isn't damaged by other means.  Some organisms, like the lobsters, have a lot of telomerase activity, while humans have very little.  As such, they don't suffer the same effects of aging.  The trick in humans, so far, seems to be allowing good, healthy cells to proliferate indefinitely, while preventing abhorrent cells from running away, such as what happens with cancers.

It really becomes an interesting exercise when considering bacteria, in which the cell is the organism.  Clones of clones of clones, with limitless ability to form more clones, and sporulation capabilities.  That could be as close to immortal as any actual organism can get.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Crawfish....lobster....will it really matter when our 500 lb crustacean overlords come knocking at our door with a barrel of butter in each claw?

7.62NATO, or a flamethrower and a jacuzzi tub.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I remember how excited everyone was about telomerase back when I was studying genetics in the late 90s.  Unfortunately, it has been pretty slow-going, and while I haven't been involved in a long time, it is a field that never really took off.  I remember them predicting viable life-extending therapies by 2020.  It doesn't really seem to be moving in that direction, though, or at least at the rate imagined.  Like another poster suggested, unmitigated cell proliferation always seems to be the elephant in the room.  Perhaps telomere therapy doesn't work so well in higher organisms due to genomic complexity.  If researchers can find a way to apply it to all human tissue, safely, it could be very interesting.

Also, the mechanism involved in this article doesn't actually confer true immortality, obviously.  It does, however, limit death due to aging, or diseases related directly to aging.  For those who aren't familiar, I'll try to give a brief overview, as best as I can recall:

Most cells have a finite number of times they can divide (Hayflick Limit).  This is because a small chunk of genetic material gets left off during replication, due to the way the ribosome "reads" the sequence.  This sequence, however, repeats a number of times, so there is redundancy.  These segments, known as telomeres, basically serve to keep important genetic material from being lost.  Eventually, though, the chromosome runs out of telomeres, and good genetic material is lost, ultimately resulting in cell death.  Some cells, though, have an enzyme that replaces these lost fragments, meaning that the cell can divide forever, so long as it isn't damaged by other means.  Some organisms, like the lobsters, have a lot of telomerase activity, while humans have very little.  As such, they don't suffer the same effects of aging.  The trick in humans, so far, seems to be allowing good, healthy cells to proliferate indefinitely, while preventing abhorrent cells from running away, such as what happens with cancers.

It really becomes an interesting exercise when considering bacteria, in which the cell is the organism.  Clones of clones of clones, with limitless ability to form more clones, and sporulation capabilities.  That could be as close to immortal as any actual organism can get.

Have a look at the one I posted - a multicellular individual can go back and forth between a multicellular polyp and a multicellular medusa cyclically and indefinitely:

"Most jellyfish species have a relatively fixed life span, which varies by species from hours to many months (long-lived mature jellyfish spawn every day or night; the time is also fairly fixed and species-specific).[12] The medusa of Turritopsis nutricula is the only form known to have developed the ability to return to a polyp state, by a specific transformation process that requires the presence of certain cell types (tissue from both the jellyfish bell surface and the circulatory canal system). Careful laboratory experiments have revealed that all stages of the medusae, from newly released to fully mature individuals, can transform back into polyps.[3] The transforming medusa is characterized first by deterioration of the bell and tentacles, with subsequent growth of a perisarc sheet and stolons, and finally feeding polyps. Polyps further multiply by growing additional stolons, branches and then polyps, to form colonial hydroids. This ability to reverse the life cycle (in response to adverse conditions) is probably unique in the animal kingdom, and allows the jellyfish to bypass death, rendering Turritopsis nutricula potentially biologically immortal. Studies in the laboratory showed that 100% of specimens could revert to the polyp stage, but so far the process has not been observed in nature, in part because the process is quite rapid and field observations at the right moment in time are unlikely.[3] In spite of this remarkable ability, most Turritopsis medusae are likely to fall victim to the general hazards of life as plankton, including being eaten by other animals, or succumbing to disease."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula#Life_cycle

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Lobsters apparently gain 1lb in weight every 7 to 10 years, that would mean a 50lb lobster is between 350 and 500 years old....
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's make a pact...

People spell it moran on purpose.

Only morons do that.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Is this a bug hunt?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

7.62NATO, or a flamethrower and a jacuzzi tub.

If I remember my Futurama correctly, you might need a giant robot.

Heat seeking missile and a flaming flag, IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was actually thinking of the short episode where a giant Bender fights a giant Zoidberg, and boils him alive in a stadium filled with water.

Do you only write sentences like that peach or do you SAY things like this as well?

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:05:48 PM EDT
[#46]
did someone say Iraq Lobster??

^ someone please turn this into a playable video
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was actually thinking of the short episode where a giant Bender fights a giant Zoidberg, and boils him alive in a stadium filled with water.

Do you only write sentences like that peach or do you SAY things like this as well?

All the time.  What's the problem with it?  

Do kids give each other wedgies in Denmark?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top