BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Complacency kills.  If he was working a “dead line” he should have had grounding straps on.   Yes the homeowner fucked up but in line work ground straps are important.  We always hear about the warnings on back feeding the grid but it rarely happens.  Real shame for your friend.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

As someone who doesn't know much about the world of electricians....can you explain what happened here and what that is?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fricking morons with their double male ended homemade cords. Dipshits. If you have one of those cords, go cut an end off of it before you kill someone.

As someone who doesn't know much about the world of electricians....can you explain what happened here and what that is?

Generator has a female receptacle and you have a female receptacle in your garage or wherever where you might run a welder or whatever if you have power. To plug into that from generator to house receptacle you need 2 male ends.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If only there were some sort of battery powered device that let people work in the dark......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very bad news and my prayers go out to your friend op.  This is why we must ensure proper installation of generators or any back up power source.  I have a switch that cuts off the grid and I cannot use the generator with out it in the generator position.  Not very expensive to install and anyone not using these are being negligent.

I have one too. It's the main breaker in my breaker box. Doesn't take a lot of brain power to manually shut off one source of power before feeding with another source i.e. generator.

I can see automatic switching for whole-house generators that come on when grid power fails.
But you can't even see the main breaker until you get the generator fired up so that the lights are back on.
Then, by the time you get to the switch, the person is already fried.

If only there were some sort of battery powered device that let people work in the dark......
If you gotta explain it was a sarcasm, then they missed it...
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m curious as to how he established his clearance points and set his grounds. Was that line intentionally not in the clearance and he got within MAD? Or was it missed due to the chaos of restoration work?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Relieved to read he's not actually dead.  Electrocuted = dead.

Don't mean to be nitpicky, but you may want to rephrase to shocked or zapped or something.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very bad news and my prayers go out to your friend op.  This is why we must ensure proper installation of generators or any back up power source.  I have a switch that cuts off the grid and I cannot use the generator with out it in the generator position.  Not very expensive to install and anyone not using these are being negligent.

I have one too. It's the main breaker in my breaker box. Doesn't take a lot of brain power to manually shut off one source of power before feeding with another source i.e. generator.

I can see automatic switching for whole-house generators that come on when grid power fails.
But you can't even see the main breaker until you get the generator fired up so that the lights are back on.
Then, by the time you get to the switch, the person is already fried.

These days you never know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Goddamn stupid homeowner.  I have a generator and I won't ever plug it into the panel, I just run extension cords to the appliances I need to run.
View Quote

That's my plan.  I may do something more elaborate in the future, but it's never been an issue.  All I really need is to be able to hook up fridges and freezers (rotating between them) and charge batteries and phones and maybe run a couple of lamps and the like.

At some point, it would be cool to have it feed the panel so I can just turn on the circuits I want to run, but an extension cord through a window works too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll admit it, I haven't used my generator in the 2 years I've had it. I'm afraid that it would be possible foe me to set things wrong. I'd love a review of proper procedures.
The electrician wired the box to go to the breaker panel, but no particular safety switch.
View Quote

Send me a message and we can talk on the phone. With some pictures I can figure out whats going and help you.

@birddog1911
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How does feeding the grid not trip the breakers on the generator?
View Quote

Basically, the guy who is backfeeding needs to be the only electrical load present on that line - which is very unlikely.

Typically, one distribution transformer feeds several customers, and the distribution line on the other side of it may feed thousands of customers.

The chances of all of those other customers not being connected to the grid during a power failure is pretty small.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How damn hard is it to turn off the main breaker???
View Quote

Exactly! I flip the main breaker off and flip the genny sub-panel on.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's terrible
I'm a retired electrician and when we worked on high voltage, 480, 4160 or 13,800 we installed grounding clamps on all phases so any back fed energy would immediately go to ground.
Excuse my ignorance but do line workers do this also?

View Quote

Around here they are required to.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They do have ways to check. The problem is that they can check an find the lines dead. But someone can fire up a generator and back feed at any time.

I sometimes see them ground the lines. But I've never seen them open up every switch/disconnect to individual transformers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid to back feed like that.

I’m also surprised that they don’t have a way to safely check for voltage on the lines prior to working on them.

Generally in industry you have a try step in the lockout process.  I don’t know what is the practice for utilities.

They do have ways to check. The problem is that they can check an find the lines dead. But someone can fire up a generator and back feed at any time.

I sometimes see them ground the lines. But I've never seen them open up every switch/disconnect to individual transformers.

If you don’t have a visible airbreak that is locked/tagged, grounds attached and tested to confirm de-energized…then it’s energized and minimum approach distance applies.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

People are ignorant.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I understand 100% that a transfer switch is the proper way to do this,  but in an emergency is shutting off the main breaker or throw switch leading to the house sufficient to prevent this?
View Quote

Ideally yes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I’m also surprised that they don’t have a way to safely check for voltage on the lines prior to working on them.

Generally in industry you have a try step in the lockout process.  I don’t know what is the practice for utilities.
View Quote

I always thought they grounded what ever they were working on just in case some dipshit was back feeding.  Smoke dipshit's generator rather than the lineman.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I understand 100% that a transfer switch is the proper way to do this,  but in an emergency is shutting off the main breaker or throw switch leading to the house sufficient to prevent this?
View Quote
Yes, turning off the main breaker to the house disconnects the house completely from the grid. Anything you do on the house side of that breaker will have no effect on the grid. It is exactly what interlocks and/or bypass switches do. The problem lies in the fact that you can energize your house with a double male cord without first shutting off that breaker so that when you energize the house it also energizes the grid.

Interlocks work by physically not allowing the generator feed to be turned on unless the main breaker is shut off. Usually as simply as a piece of sheet metal that blocks the in feed breaker from turning on until it is slid out of the way. It can only slide out of the way by shutting off the main breaker. No way to forget to turn it off.

Transfer switches are similar but they use an actual switch that physically switches the feed from the grid to the generator. They can be manual or automatic but either way, they can only be connected one or the other, not both.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
An interlock and generator inlet receptacle is like $100. No reason not to have one if you are feeding a house with portable genny.
View Quote

This x87.  I'd bet the guilty party's insurance won't cover any expenses if this device wasn't installed by a licensed electrician.  But don't linemen check for voltage 10 different ways before working on stuff?  Sucky situation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's my plan.  I may do something more elaborate in the future, but it's never been an issue.  All I really need is to be able to hook up fridges and freezers (rotating between them) and charge batteries and phones and maybe run a couple of lamps and the like.

At some point, it would be cool to have it feed the panel so I can just turn on the circuits I want to run, but an extension cord through a window works too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goddamn stupid homeowner.  I have a generator and I won't ever plug it into the panel, I just run extension cords to the appliances I need to run.

Works great unless you have a well, furnace, AC,sump pumps, electric water heater, electric stove to name a few. Better to just feed the panel
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, but super UN-reliable that folks will remember.
View Quote
Which is the point of a proper interlock.  You can't NOT remember...  It only allows for the main breaker to be on while the generator breaker is off, or the main breaker to be off while the generator breaker is on.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have purs set up to be locked out if power is on. If we have an outage, I have to pull my main breaker into the house before starting the generator.
When power is restored, I turn off the generator and reset the main breaker into the house.
I have stressed it numerous times to the wife the order things MUST be done to turn on the generator and then switch back to power off the grid.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I got. Makes sure that both can never be on at the same time, and keeps from having to run extension cords.
Gererator box

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Shutting off the main prior to engaging the generator is effective, the problem lies in the process being dependent on a human being.  People are notoriously unreliable under stress.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn, sorry to hear that.
I don't know why they can't put something into the meter at the house, that when the incoming line drops out, it disconnects the house from feeding back. Doesn't seem to me that would be that hard to do and would protect the linemen from this asshat shit.
Make so that if someone tries to feed back, it trips and they have to have the utility come re-start it--and fine them a couple of hundred dollars.
View Quote

They do.  At least our local power company does, they'll install it for free.  Plugs right into the meter slot and then the meter plugs into it.  gives you a single plug covered with a weather cap. Just plug in the generator and go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#24]
How is it possible to do that and not have the homeowner's gen set trying to run every single home connected on that system? And not being able to keep up or snapping a breaker in the unit?

Legit question.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#25]
This cannot physically happen with an Interlock.

Yet so many members here refuse to use them, and feel that they will never make a mistake like forgetting to throw the main disconnect... and continue to use suicide cords.

Just like a negligent discharge - it only takes once to kill someone.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#26]
And that right there is the reason I have an interlock kit for mine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Wife's family trade was line work.  She's lost a couple uncles.  One that was a backfeed incident lingered for a few days after getting hit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Correct. 240v was backfed into the transformer which energized the line and he got hit with high voltage then
View Quote
I never thought about that, step down transformers that take a gazzilion volts to 220 become step up transformers when the secondary is supplied with 220.
What's the lineman's credo, "if it isn't grounded, it's live"?

I've only ran extension cords to whatever I wanted to power, never used a suicide cord.

Oh, and 220/240, whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
homeowner is at fault. there will be consequences.

i have a whole house generator professionally installed and it part of the install is a switch that cuts connectivity to the transformer before generator starts.

what im curious about is for folks that have solar power backfed to grid how is that done to code to prevent issues like this?
View Quote

The solar power that is backfed to the grid required grid power to match the line frequency/phase.  No incoming power, no out going power.  This is the reason this is a bad idea for no power solutions.  You would need a stand alone battery source that is powered by the panels to have power in a no power situation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#30]
The homeowner should be charged, pay attention to this any of you that have just rigged up a genny to back feed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The solar power that is backfed to the grid required grid power to match the line frequency/phase.  No incoming power, no out going power.  This is the reason this is a bad idea for no power solutions.  You would need a stand alone battery source that is powered by the panels to have power in a no power situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
homeowner is at fault. there will be consequences.

i have a whole house generator professionally installed and it part of the install is a switch that cuts connectivity to the transformer before generator starts.

what im curious about is for folks that have solar power backfed to grid how is that done to code to prevent issues like this?

Yep, Made my own from 3360 18650 cells!
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Works great unless you have a well, furnace, AC,sump pumps, electric water heater, electric stove to name a few. Better to just feed the panel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sump or well pumps here, and my generator isn't large and isn't 240v, so no HVAC, stove, etc.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I know guys who plug generators into their clothes dryer receptacles.
Same thing, right?
It's back feeding, right?
They claim it's perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Generator has a female receptacle and you have a female receptacle in your garage or wherever where you might run a welder or whatever if you have power. To plug into that from generator to house receptacle you need 2 male ends.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fricking morons with their double male ended homemade cords. Dipshits. If you have one of those cords, go cut an end off of it before you kill someone.

Stuff like these images from the web:

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Same thing, right?
View Quote

Unless they shut off their main breaker....it's back feeding the grid.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I run all the things I need by plugging them directly into the generator.  The only thing I can't do that with is my furnace (because it is wired in).  I bought a single circuit transfer switch and had it installed on the furnace by an electrician.  It disallows me to make a mistake.

The switch and installation were around $200, total for both.  (I just told the electrician to not make a special trip, swing by my place whenever he was next in the area, after a job).

$200 well spent for the peace of mind.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

People are ignorant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are ignorant.

Just because the handle says its open doesn't necessarily mean the switch is open... Hardware fails.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Same thing, right?
View Quote
Yes.  Powering your panel in any way without a transfer switch in between, presents the possibility of back feeding.  If they forget to throw the main breaker, their generator will power the line.

A transfer switch makes it impossible to cause a problem. If you forget to throw the switch from grid power to generator power, simply nothing happens.  It isolates the panel to only one source at a time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#40]
When I first moved here they had a generator building and there was one of those 3 foot long ancient switches you threw to turn the house off the power lines. Don't see them much anymore.

I have an interlock now. Had a bad 90mph straight line wind storm once and was without power for almost a week. I had the generator running and was outside and I saw the light on the pole come on. I ran back and it took a second to realise the power had come back on and was not my generator running the light.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wouldn’t a line tech use grounding straps even if the line was supposed to be de-energized?
View Quote

They can glove and sleeve the line as long as it’s within the rating of their gloves but this depends on the utility as far as how high of a voltage they can go. Basically anything ungrounded should be treated as hot since backfeeds and induced voltages be real yo. Even grounded lines arent completely dead when you have things like induced voltage current loops. It’s a sad story but there were 2 negligent actions in this story
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Friend of a friend is a lineman of 20 years. Last night he was working on a high voltage line that was de-energized. His leg hit or got close to a line and he was electrocuted. He has second and third degree burns and is still alive but the damage is severe. The line was energized due to a homeowner backfeeding their generator into the grid.

The dude has a wife and kids. Even if he makes it he'll never be the same. Will add links if the incident makes the news.

I'm posting this because there are many DIY'ers on this forum and the topic of generators comes up frequently.
View Quote
Why no equipotential grounding?  Although I don't know if that would have popped any kind of protection device in that scenario.

Is equipotential grounding a common thing on the utility side of things? I learned about it on the industrial side, I'm sure things are different.  

Utility guys are in double insulated booms for starters.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Send me a message and we can talk on the phone. With some pictures I can figure out whats going and help you.

@birddog1911
View Quote

@StaccatoC2 thanks, I'll take pictures this evening, and give you a call.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They do have ways to check. The problem is that they can check and find the lines dead. But someone can fire up a generator and back feed at any time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do have ways to check. The problem is that they can check and find the lines dead. But someone can fire up a generator and back feed at any time.

One style of voltage detector:

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not about brain power. Eventually, you will forget. I have 30 years experience in critical safety/precision manufacturing and no amount of training or brain power will prevent people from making mistakes.  It happens.  Swallow your pride and install the proper safety equipment.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Shutting off the main prior to engaging the generator is effective, the problem lies in the process being dependent on a human being.  People are notoriously unreliable under stress.
View Quote

Typically, there's also some load management that needs to be done.

You don't want your 2KW generator attempting to run your 20 KW tankless water heater...

That's why having a procedure list is a good idea - Things to disconnect before using generator power, and things to disconnect or reconfigure before restoring utility power.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
It doesn't meet code, but you can just open the main breaker to isolate it from the grid right?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Relieved to read he's not actually dead.  Electrocuted = dead.

Don't mean to be nitpicky, but you may want to rephrase to shocked or zapped or something.
View Quote

Not according to Websters. "Killed or severely injured"
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It doesn't meet code, but you can just open the main breaker to isolate it from the grid right?
View Quote
It not only doesn't meet code, but it can result in what happened in the OP.  Don't do it.  Get a transfer switch.

All humans error.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top